Hybrid View

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tfc cult heroes according to mls

There is a cool post on mls about clubs cult heroes. It was based on asking some supports etc. They have chosen terry dunfield for Tfc. The criteria was them not being goal machines or having amazing stats but their work ethic and ties to the club. Give it a read.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure I agree with Dunfield here, I think it probably should be Ashtone Morgan based on their parameters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, it's Benoit Cheyrou.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no way it is Dunfield. His spell here was honestly forgetable for me.

Cheyrou is a good one, of course Dichio, even Brennan.

For me, Ill always got a special spot for Guevara and Cann
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dunfield is a good guy, but he was no cult hero in TFC fanbase. Obvious choice is Dichio here (afterall we sing every 24th minute of the game to praise him).

MLS does a great job insulting TFC fanbase with this article.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Dunfield is a good guy, but he was no cult hero in TFC fanbase. Obvious choice is Dichio here (afterall we sing every 24th minute of the game to praise him).

MLS does a great job insulting TFC fanbase with this article.
    Plus one. That was absurd.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me Jim Brennan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow, that's ridiculous, how many people were polled for that one?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flambe View Post
    wow, that's ridiculous, how many people were polled for that one?
    Probably none. They just picked a good moment from random players and made them the "cult hero". Lazy story writing at it's finest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe the writer polled only one of the supporters or podcasters for each team (I assume they ones they had contact information for). Kristin Knowles from the Vocal Minority Podcast was chosen for TFC. I bet most of the other fans of other teams would dispute their cult favourites as well. But the article serves it's purpose to generate discussion around the website in this downtime, so...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    But the article serves it's purpose to generate discussion around the website in this downtime, so...
    I guess, I'm no expert, but surely a fan engagement piece would have been a better choice?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no greater cult hero for me than Danny Dichio. We still sing his praise at 23:13. There is no comparison for any other player quite frankly.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like dd but remember how many games it took for Tfc to get it’s first goal and it happened to be dd. After several games without a first ever goal I think we were just dying for someone to score and we didn’t care whom it came from. That first goal could have not come from dd and I’m very sure we would remember our first ever captain than dd. I get it the goal happened to be from dd but I think other players that have come and gone have been a better cult hero than dd but then again dd has stayed and helped with youth coaching in the city. Would he have stayed if he didn’t score than goal and go into history?

Then again I don’t really want to remember the first few years of Tfc on field. Not to many cult heroes and good legacies left

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DD scored the first goal and last goal of the first season, and he also got the first red card at home and away. He reached out to supporters, and they made him a spectacular banner when he retired. There's no comparison. He's the man, the legend, Danny Dichio

Quote Originally Posted by kottisinick View Post
    I like dd but remember how many games it took for Tfc to get it’s first goal and it happened to be dd. After several games without a first ever goal I think we were just dying for someone to score and we didn’t care whom it came from. That first goal could have not come from dd and I’m very sure we would remember our first ever captain than dd. I get it the goal happened to be from dd but I think other players that have come and gone have been a better cult hero than dd but then again dd has stayed and helped with youth coaching in the city. Would he have stayed if he didn’t score than goal and go into history?

Then again I don’t really want to remember the first few years of Tfc on field. Not to many cult heroes and good legacies left

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    DD scored the first goal and last goal of the first season, and he also got the first red card at home and away. He reached out to supporters, and they made him a spectacular banner when he retired. There's no comparison. He's the man, the legend, Danny Dichio
    That last goal was that the game where everyone rushed the field? I think it was against New England ?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kottisinick View Post
    That last goal was that the game where everyone rushed the field? I think it was against New England ?
    Yes, the last goal was in ET to tie the game on a big looping kick, I was in the south end when it went in and the place went crazy — Pitch invasion followed almost right after the game and was generally just good spirited fun, as at that point a Tie was like a win to us in those days....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dichio for obvious reasons. I always loved watching Frings play, he didn't play in a great team but his class was evident, always seemed to have so much time on the ball

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Dichio is the obvious choice

However, if the criteria is not being the superstar/goal scorer - Dan Gargan was a favourite of some - not me though
    Usector loved off Jimmy Brennan, so he would be another

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcfans View Post
    Yes, the last goal was in ET to tie the game on a big looping kick, I was in the south end when it went in and the place went crazy — Pitch invasion followed almost right after the game and was generally just good spirited fun, as at that point a Tie was like a win to us in those days....
    I was there too. I took my dad which was is first Tfc game. When he saw ppl on the field he left and went to the exit I said dad come in let’s go on the field. Him being from Greece thought the riot police was gonna come and start beating everyone but then I showed him how there was a baby crawling on the field lol. That day was a great day but boy we celebrated a tie as if we had just got into the finals. Just goes to show you how good the Tfc fans were back then and how excited we were to have a team