Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The quality of play in 2007 across MLS was....not good. I can distinctly remember that a poor pass out of play was so routine that commentators didn't even mention it - 1/3 passes longer then 10 yards went incomplete.

Our most technically gifted player was Carl Robinson.

Heck, look at European league quality of play in 2007 and you can see how much the world has changed. Current TFC would be Champions League group stage in 2003.

Dichio was technically proficient in MLS for the time - a banging forward who could cushion the ball and knew what force would do what with the ball.

Osorio would have been an all star & Pozuelo a God.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The quality of play in 2007 across MLS was....not good. I can distinctly remember that a poor pass out of play was so routine that commentators didn't even mention it - 1/3 passes longer then 10 yards went incomplete.

Heck, look at European league quality of play in 2007 and you can see how much the world has changed. Current TFC would be Champions League group stage in 2003.

Dichio was technically proficient in MLS for the time - a banging forward who could cushion the ball and knew what force would do what with the ball.

Good post. In 2007 there were so many long balls and then the teams counting on the athletic guys to outrun and outwork the defenders to the balls. It was ugly and I only watched MLS because Toronto had a team but the atmosphere at the stadium with you fine folks was fun so I was there. In travelling with my son and his team playing in competitive tournaments in the US I still find that "kick the ball over the defenders and try to outrun them" is still a main way that lots of youth teams from the US play. Our team always had fast defenders so it never worked against us because we got to the ball first so it was basically turning over the ball to us again and again but kinda sad to see that trend continuing at the youth level there. Good to see that MLS is evolving though over time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The payroll of TFC in 2007 was USD 2M (vs USD 25M the last couple of years) so any comparison re caliber of play is absurd. Of course it is tons better now.

It's just depressing to see the volume of "Dichio was crap" takes.

Maybe it's only a few people but it used to be a widely held core understanding of all the dozens of active posters here that a healthy Dichio was a very good player.

To see this be an argument here.... Makes me think I don't belong here anymore. I have better uses of my time.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get the whole what if it wasn’t dd but let’s remember after he left he stayed and made Toronto his home. Also coaches the youth and does a lot of community work. Maybe cult hero’s don’t have to be all about what they just do on the pitch but what they do in the city and for the ppl too.

To me I think his New England goal that send waves of ppl onto the pitch was a cooler experience than the first goal. It was like we had just won the cup

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    The payroll of TFC in 2007 was USD 2M (vs USD 25M the last couple of years) so any comparison re caliber of play is absurd. Of course it is tons better now.

Maybe it's only a few people but it used to be a widely held core understanding of all the dozens of active posters here that a healthy Dichio was a very good player.

To see this be an argument here.... Makes me think I don't belong here anymore. I have better uses of my time.
    Don’t leave us...

DD is a legend. That cannot change, he just is. He is our cult hero. Maybe not Rushmore, but cult hero for certain.

Reading the stuff from a small group here on here is like hearing Pence say Trump never downplayed the Coronavirus, right after watching him do it for ten weeks. Complete revision.

For a long time this club had nothing but Danny Dichio as our cult hero - not competence, not good players, not even the same coach from year to year. All we really had was Danny.

If you don’t know that, shame on you.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

FWIW, I agree with you on Dichio being a good player for his time. To many people these days don't get the difference in quality between then and now.

Dichio was a VERY good player in what MLS was at the time on a very BAD team for what MLS was at the time. People who can't see that are not worth worrying about.

Peace to you and yours ensco. Take care.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sometimes recognition isn't about being the best, it's about being the first.

He was the first goal scorer ever for this team (and last goal of its inaugural season)
    He was the first player to earn a red card - and if you were there that day - people were fucking loving him for it
    He got goal of the week 3 times that first season

and if you remember that season at all, you know he should've been our first player of the week mid season, (something like 3 goals in 2 games) but was beat out by Blanco (1G 3A)

As much as you hate him - He was the first star on this team. He was the first player people looked to during the first season of existence. He was the first player that supporters - hell the whole stadium - sang his name in the stands and in the pubs.

You put him on the wall because of the historical importance he is to the club.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 04-02-2020 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Remove troll quote

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[moderation note] I've cleaned up the thread to remove discussion spurred by a now-banned troll with multiple accounts.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    [moderation note] I've cleaned up the thread to remove discussion spurred by a now-banned troll with multiple accounts.
    Interesting. Would have figured we were long clear of these types.

I though we did a good enough job of making each other angry without the need for sock accounts, lol.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Interesting. Would have figured we were long clear of these types.

I though we did a good enough job of making each other angry without the need for sock accounts, lol.
    There's always someone who thinks they're being original
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Don’t leave us...

Peace to you and yours ensco. Take care.
    Just seeing these now. Thanks guys! Same to you.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Dichio does not score the first goal, he has no place in this discussion.
    It's like people in hockey who argue Paul Henderson should be in thr HOF.
    For the old generation of year one supporters, he may hold a special place. But if you're putting your best ever TFC lineup on field, he doesn't come close.
    Obviously you have Bradley, Jozy and Seba on there. So it just comes down to a 4th spot.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    If Dichio does not score the first goal, he has no place in this discussion.
    It's like people in hockey who argue Paul Henderson should be in thr HOF.
    For the old generation of year one supporters, he may hold a special place. But if you're putting your best ever TFC lineup on field, he doesn't come close.
    Obviously you have Bradley, Jozy and Seba on there. So it just comes down to a 4th spot.

I don't know about Jozy - he's just another good player - what has he done that would hold up 10, 15, 30 years down the road? There will be other good players that come along as well.

Some would argue Dero over Jozy - eventually it could be Poz over Jozy...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I fundamentally disagree with the people that leave Dichio off the list. Not only was he pretty much the only glimmer of talent we had to watch for the first few years but let's also consider;

How does Dichio fare paired up with Seba and VV on a Championship level team? I would argue that he would score nearly as many as Altidore (no goals off a solo run, for sure) but might have beaten Frei in the cup game.

Conversely, how does Jozy look under Mo and playing on a plastic pitch? I expect he would have a single injury shortened year with decent results and be traded.

That's my 2 cents.