Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TFC Mount Rushmore

MLS Extratime is doing a bit on the "Mount Rushmore" for each MLS club, eg the four guys who symbolise the club who are carved into the rock on a mountainside.

So the first three are obvious... Bradley, Gio, Jozy....

But who is fourth?

They had a spirited debate about that...

(what is Mt Rushmore? here you go: https://www.nps.gov/moru/index.htm)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

could Vanney be considered in the discussions?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ashton Morgan?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nick Garcia; Maxim Usanov; Mista; Raivis Hscanovics;

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Danny Dichio.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dwayne DeRosario.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dichio, DeRosario and Bradley would be a good representation for the history of the club. The first face of the franchise, the first star, and the captain that led us to the treble. The fourth would be tough between many deserving players (and possible some to come) - Osorio hasn't had as dramatic an impact as Gio, but he's been with the team quite a long time now. We're in a period of low roster turnover (on the starting 10) compared to previous eras of the team, so many consistent contributors. Tough tough call.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4th & 5th

DeRo & Danny K

But I agree, it really should include Vanney.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I said Giovinco, Bradley, Altidore, Vanney.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know they'll put Dichio, but I am not a Dichio fan. I know he had the first goal and all that, but apart from that he was a very meh player to me. Doesn't score that goal, we don't talk about him.

I put

Bradley, Giovinco, Vazquez, and De Rosario

Another couple years, Pozuelo replaces Vazquez

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by rydermike; 03-27-2020 at 09:21 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gio Bradley Jozy VV not even debatable You are all over rating Vanney Danny D really did not do much for TFC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave F View Post
    Gio Bradley Jozy VV not even debatable You are all over rating Vanney Danny D really did not do much for TFC
    Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    I know they'll put Dichio, but I am not a Dichio fan. I know he had the first goal and all that, but apart from that he was a very meh player to me. Doesn't score that goal, we don't talk about him.
    Dichio played for poor teams, and got hurt a lot (sound familiar?) ....but his combination of first touch and physical play was as good as Jozy's. His shooting accuracy is still the best I have seen on TFC.

You are both required to spend 5 minutes watching this, and then come back on here and say you were sorry.

“What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Nick Garcia; Maxim Usanov; Mista; Raivis Hscanovics;
    No Andrea Lombardo? This isn’t a real list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a player, but Tim Leiweke should be 4th person. Without him, we wouldn't get MLSE investing big on TFC to save the club that was dying. There wouldn't be no Gio, Bradley and Jozy if Leiweke wasn't here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Not a player, but Tim Leiweke should be 4th person. Without him, we wouldn't get MLSE investing big on TFC to save the club that was dying. There wouldn't be no Gio, Bradley and Jozy if Leiweke wasn't here.
    This is a true thing.

Same for the Raptors btw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, I can't really fault their choices. I agree with them that as a Canadian team, at least one of the players should be Canadian and Ororio, as part of the Treble team, ticks the boxes.

Just as a side note, they put DeRo on the Houston Dynamo Mount Rushmore, so I don't feel too bad about leaving him off the TFC one.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man said Dichio is as good as Jozy and was actually serious.

Guy was average in one of the worst teams of all time.

The four chosen are correct. The 3 superstars and Oso the local legend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leiweke,Bez,Vanney,————- on the management side.
    Gio,Bradley,Jozy with Victor taking us over the top honourable mention Osorio.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surprised no one has said this, I could see the case for Justin Morrow. He was MLS All XI, was probably the best LB in the league in 2016 and 2017, and never really gets his due for his contribution to the 2017 team (which is close to that of VV).

I do like how good Oso has been in playoffs and CCL, and of course he is a homegrown. No problem with that.

I don't think Dichio would be the choice, but he's somewhere in the conversation, for me.
    Last edited by ensco; 03-28-2020 at 03:06 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These Dichio takes are just wrong.

At TFC his goals per 90 were .37, and at TFC Jozy's has been .6, so they are not close. That doesn't even include Jozy's incredible playoff record.

But the differential in service to them both is striking. DD got less than .97 shots per game off, Jozy gets 1.99 per game. That is a massive differential. (Some of that may be Jozy's ability to create, you need to go further into the advance stats to figure that out...)

The efficiency is interesting too. DD had 14 goals on 51 shots (27%), and Jozy has 56 goals on 232 shots (24%).

Jozy isn't the benchmark anyway. Jozy when healthy is one of the 10 best players in league history.

Watch that Dichio video (the crap quality doesn't help, I know, there may be better somewhere). Dichio was a dominant player, when healthy. Also that team wasn't that bad when healthy - nobody seems to remember this. TFC were a near 500 team that had won 5 of 7 and was on a roll mid way through 2007, before they collapsed.

Dichio was pretty damn good, when he played. Problem was that Danny was pretty much done (ie too far gone with injuries) by the time he got here.

Like I said, Oso and Morrow would be ahead of him. But that's a tribute to those two guys, not a slag on Danny.
    Last edited by ensco; 03-28-2020 at 03:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My four would be Giovinco, Jozy, Bradley, Dichio

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Surprised no one has said this, I could see the case for Justin Morrow. He was MLS All XI, was probably the best LB in the league in 2016 and 2017, and never really gets his due for his contribution to the 2017 team (which is close to that of VV).

I do like how good Oso has been in playoffs and CCL, and of course he is a homegrown. No problem with that.

I don't think Dichio would be the choice, but he's somewhere in the conversation, for me.
    My son thinks Morrow should be in the conversation for Rushmore as well, so you're not alone, ensco. As for Dichio, I'd probably include him on the cult favourite list because I'm not sure if Dunfield deserves that spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dichio played for poor teams, and got hurt a lot (sound familiar?) ....but his combination of first touch and physical play was as good as Jozy's. His shooting accuracy is still the best I have seen on TFC.

You are both required to spend 5 minutes watching this, and then come back on here and say you were sorry.

Besides the horrible video quality, what I saw was a tall striker who can score goals inside the six yard box, mostly when there's an empty net and a shorter defender. So that makes him better than Ben Spencer. There were what 2 distance goals that looked more like bad goalkeeping than good shots (the loop over the keeper looks like he just kicked it and it happened to go in - the other one was well placed but I feel like should be saved by a quality keeper). Never saw him control the ball and the make a play. Basically a ping ponger, ball comes to him and he hits it. Without the first goal in TFC history, he'd be a forgotten player.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cult favourite top 5? I look at that as 5 under the radar people that changed the path of the team

Dichio (he worked hard and plugged away in an era when not many here seemed to give a darn)

Will Johnson (for that goal in Vancouver which I think changed that season around but also his midfield bite and for bringing the "this is our house" to life)

Julio Cesar (saw what a modern keeper can be)

Caldwell (saw what a decent professional CB could be after SOOO long without one)

Moor (the backbone defensive general of the best team in MLS ever)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    No Andrea Lombardo? This isn’t a real list.
    The real list is;

Andy Welsh, Chad Barrett, Dan Gargan, Jacob Peterson

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post

I keep telling people this - he was the catalyst that provide TFC and Raptors with Championships. The Leafs were always going to be the last of this bunch to win a chip - we'll see what they do in the next 2-3 years.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    The real list is;

Andy Welsh, Chad Barrett, Dan Gargan, Jacob Peterson
    Puts Gargan ahead of Nick Garcia....questionable
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legend. plus he already looks like he is made out of granite...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

These Dichio takes are just wrong.

At TFC his goals per 90 were .37, and at TFC Jozy's has been .6, so they are not close. That doesn't even include Jozy's incredible playoff record.

But the differential in service to them both is striking. DD got less than .97 shots per game off, Jozy gets 1.99 per game. That is a massive differential. (Some of that may be Jozy's ability to create, you need to go further into the advance stats to figure that out...)

The efficiency is interesting too. DD had 14 goals on 51 shots (27%), and Jozy has 56 goals on 232 shots (24%).

Jozy isn't the benchmark anyway. Jozy when healthy is one of the 10 best players in league history.

Watch that Dichio video (the crap quality doesn't help, I know, there may be better somewhere). Dichio was a dominant player, when healthy. Also that team wasn't that bad when healthy - nobody seems to remember this. TFC were a near 500 team that had won 5 of 7 and was on a roll mid way through 2007, before they collapsed.

Dichio was pretty damn good, when he played. Problem was that Danny was pretty much done (ie too far gone with injuries) by the time he got here.

Like I said, Oso and Morrow would be ahead of him. But that's a tribute to those two guys, not a slag on Danny.

Hot take - A healthy Dichio was a top 20 player in MLS at the time.