Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CDC is asking leagues to shut down for 8 weeks! No way MLS doesn't cut games or play empty stadium games.

Sportsnet.ca: New CDC recommendation gives rough timeline for earliest sports could resume.
    https://www.sportsnet.ca/more/new-cd...sports-resume/

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fergiejr View Post
    I keep refreshing the page.

Heard yesteday on Twitter that the US gov is recommending 2 months of no crowds greater than 50 people. I don't have the tweet or the source, so take that as what it is. Would this mean closed door games to get them underway?

For NHL and NBA, yeah, those seasons are likely done. Might come back to playoffs. No one will be in game shape though.
    It was a CDC recommendation, at least two months of now crowds of more than 50 people. I do not see any sports with that until at least June. The 50 person thing will complicated things as even in a close door setting you need people for setup, etc. Even the rosters and coaching staffs of two teams would exceed that.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    CDC is asking leagues to shut down for 8 weeks! No way MLS doesn't cut games or play empty stadium games.

Sportsnet.ca: New CDC recommendation gives rough timeline for earliest sports could resume.
    https://www.sportsnet.ca/more/new-cd...sports-resume/
    I think if it gets to the point of the NBA/NHL trying to play in empty arenas/smaller venues will we see most sports have to. Cutting games will likely be a reality at some point. In reading reports from ESPN the NBA is already looking at the logistics of it just to crown a champion. What form that playoffs take is yet to be seen. MLS is no different.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crazy days indeed, hang in there everybody! Maybe re-watch the two-part Toronto - Montreal playoff series.

And for god's sake:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Out of all the leagues, I think MLS will end up coming out of this the best given that we had just started the season, meaning we have the most time to make things up later.

I really wonder the European leagues, though. It would be dumb IMO to just void the season; they can make some sort of playoff or something.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Crazy days indeed, hang in there everybody! Maybe re-watch the two-part Toronto - Montreal playoff series.

And for god's sake:

Yep, got my MLS Cup DVD ready to go !!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think NFL will come out the best
    Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Out of all the leagues, I think MLS will end up coming out of this the best given that we had just started the season, meaning we have the most time to make things up later.

I really wonder the European leagues, though. It would be dumb IMO to just void the season; they can make some sort of playoff or something.

RPB Member
    Banners Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Yep, got my MLS Cup DVD ready to go !!
    Yeah that though occurred to me over the weekend and I pulled my set out - only to remember I sold my DVD player at the garage sale last summer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wondering how the progress of our injuries is coming along

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fergiejr View Post
    I keep refreshing the page.

Heard yesteday on Twitter that the US gov is recommending 2 months of no crowds greater than 50 people. I don't have the tweet or the source, so take that as what it is. Would this mean closed door games to get them underway?

For NHL and NBA, yeah, those seasons are likely done. Might come back to playoffs. No one will be in game shape though.
    I have to be honest craving sports so much right now, i would gladly watch empty stadium football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AEW wrestling and AFL still on in next 48 hours

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AFL being played still is mindblowing - that sport already reduces the average lifespan of a player by 20 years or so. The TV bosses have spoken, it seems.

The estimates about how long this goes on keep getting stretched. All we can do is take it one day at a time.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    AFL being played still is mindblowing - that sport already reduces the average lifespan of a player by 20 years or so. The TV bosses have spoken, it seems.

The estimates about how long this goes on keep getting stretched. All we can do is take it one day at a time.
    Players wanted it per this article. They are closed doors games, but still...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/51948907
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasn't sure if AFL meant Australian Football League, or Arena Football League.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And now suspended until (at least) May 10th...

https://www.tsn.ca/major-league-socc...date-1.1458845

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandGeoff View Post
    And now suspended until (at least) May 10th...

https://www.tsn.ca/major-league-socc...date-1.1458845
    Yeah got the email from TFC today. Writing was on the wall already with the ruling already out there for 8 week ban on events so we all knew it was coming but now it is official from the club.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"....with May 10 as a targeted return date."

I don't agree with what MLS is doing here. In fact, this is just terrible.

Right now there is a major issue with people not taking this seriously enough. MLS are just contributing to that by acting as though an endgame is in sight (which, btw, the NBA, NHL and MLB are not doing)

The US curve of daily new cases (scroll down to see it here ) is quite frightening.
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Canada's curve is no better. This thing is not getting better, or anywhere close to under control.
    https://art-bd.shinyapps.io/covid19canada/

We are still in the max containment phase. Anything that distracts from that, or somehow enables people to get ready to move on... IS BAD. IT MAKES THIS PHASE LONGER AND MORE DEADLY. The end is not in sight.

Plus this is pointless kabuki. The relevant authorities own this issue. Not the leagues or teams.
    Last edited by ensco; 03-19-2020 at 02:49 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    "....with May 10 as a targeted return date."

I don't agree with what MLS is doing here. In fact, this is just terrible.

Right now there is a major issue with people not taking this seriously enough. MLS are just contributing to that by acting as though an endgame is in sight (which, btw, the NBA, NHL and MLB are not doing)

The US curve of daily new cases (scroll down to see it here ) is quite frightening.
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Canada's curve is no better. This thing is not getting better, or anywhere close to under control.
    https://art-bd.shinyapps.io/covid19canada/

We are still in the max containment phase. Anything that distracts from that, or somehow enables people to get ready to move on... IS BAD. IT MAKES THIS PHASE LONGER AND MORE DEADLY. The end is not in sight.

Plus this is pointless kabuki. The relevant authorities own this issue. Not the leagues or teams.
    Ensco et al: Few people understand how pandemics develop and long they take to pan out. If you take the case of China, with all of their draconian steps, it took at least 3 months BEFORE intra-community cases of contamination seem to have stopped. Italy and Spain will be longer. The US ... who knows, having responded in such a non-challant fashion.
    So for any sports league in North America (or anywhere else), to say that the cancellation of games will continue until XXX is completely irresponsible and points to an end to the problem at a date when it will not happen - a false sense of security.
    This virus is darn serious because of its contagious capacity. The Red Patch Boys, TCF, MLS, and everyone else should really respect the damage that COVID 19 can do. And I am not thinking economics here.
    STAY HOME and STAY HEALTHY!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with those last two posts.

Just to add:

There are teams in this league that would have problems with cash flow if they have to pay back season tickets. One reason is you can't count on some billionaires still being billionaires in a few months. Not sure if teams will go under at this level - but teams will lower down, I am certain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with those last two posts.

Just to add:

There are teams in this league that would have problems with cash flow if they have to pay back season tickets. One reason is you can't count on some billionaires still being billionaires in a few months. Not sure if teams will go under at this level - but teams will lower down, I am certain.
    I love TFC. Have been there since the beginning. Almost every home game, lots of road games. But it's just not important right now. Not even sure when it comes back how I will feel.

And I agree with the above posts - the leagues just need to say: "we'll come back when the authorities say it is safe to do so. In the meantime please follow their direction like we are."

And if the billionaires aren't billionaires then, so be it. Maybe they will now appreciate why people need full time jobs, pensions, sick leave etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hope everyone is well and staying safe. Hopefully we can get back to the good things in life sooner rather than later.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

City of Toronto banning public events until the end of June.

No TFC for sure until July

As Tenorio pointed out, this is the first MLS city saying the shutdown (not yet a lockdown) will go into the summer.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As Tenorio pointed out, this is the first MLS city saying the shutdown (not yet a lockdown) will go into the summer.
    I kind of wonder what any league will do if they have few teams, 1 or 2 saying they can not play, what happens if others are allowed to proceed in some way? Is it everyone or no-one approach for a league?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This season should just be scrapped.
    North America governments didn't take this seriously enough. To inform citizens. Or even help China back in January.
    Even I didn't last month realized how bad it was, until it was too late.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1986 View Post
    This season should just be scrapped.
    North America governments didn't take this seriously enough. To inform citizens. Or even help China back in January.
    Even I didn't last month realized how bad it was, until it was too late.
    You're right, but not just North America. Almost no western countries took it seriously enough. And you can see what an impact sports can have in that situation: a single Champions League match between Atlanta and Venezia, likely played a huge role in the incredibly deadly outbreak in the Bergamo/Lombardy region of Italy (in addition to undetected infection being spread in the local hospital). https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/...irus-outbreak/

And the US continues to be such an unbelievable shitshow. Many states still don't have any significant shutdowns in place. The Mango Twittler is redefining up to 200,000 dead as "success." (That would be 4 times the US deaths during the whole Vietnam war.) The situation in the US is going to have a massive indirect impact on Canada, and of course also on all our shared sports leagues.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 04-01-2020 at 02:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just scrap the MLS season

RPB Member
    President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Public events, doesn't mean the games cant be done behind closed doors. But yeah season looks unlikely.

Road Games:
    2013, 2014, 2015 - Montreal; 2016 - Montreal (Leg 1 Conference Final); 2017 - NYRB (Leg 1 Eastern Semi), Columbus (Leg 1 Eastern Finals); 2019 - Seattle (MLS Finals)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

toronto montreal and vancouver should play in the CPL if we get through this in decent shape by july.

Border with US will be closed for a while...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A very respected columnist is saying "let's get real, no sports until 2021"

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story...out-until-2021
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    A very respected columnist is saying "let's get real, no sports until 2021"
    Seriously though, I can't see the league coming back this season. Any notion to say we are back to normal days in 2020 and watching MLS games is a bit of a stretch in my opinion.