Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 66
  1. #31
    RPB Member Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,380
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    CDC is asking leagues to shut down for 8 weeks! No way MLS doesn't cut games or play empty stadium games.

    Sportsnet.ca: New CDC recommendation gives rough timeline for earliest sports could resume.
    https://www.sportsnet.ca/more/new-cd...sports-resume/

  2. #32
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Somewhere, Anywhere.
    Posts
    9,955
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fergiejr View Post
    I keep refreshing the page.

    Heard yesteday on Twitter that the US gov is recommending 2 months of no crowds greater than 50 people. I don't have the tweet or the source, so take that as what it is. Would this mean closed door games to get them underway?

    For NHL and NBA, yeah, those seasons are likely done. Might come back to playoffs. No one will be in game shape though.
    It was a CDC recommendation, at least two months of now crowds of more than 50 people. I do not see any sports with that until at least June. The 50 person thing will complicated things as even in a close door setting you need people for setup, etc. Even the rosters and coaching staffs of two teams would exceed that.

    Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

  3. #33
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Somewhere, Anywhere.
    Posts
    9,955
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    CDC is asking leagues to shut down for 8 weeks! No way MLS doesn't cut games or play empty stadium games.

    Sportsnet.ca: New CDC recommendation gives rough timeline for earliest sports could resume.
    https://www.sportsnet.ca/more/new-cd...sports-resume/
    I think if it gets to the point of the NBA/NHL trying to play in empty arenas/smaller venues will we see most sports have to. Cutting games will likely be a reality at some point. In reading reports from ESPN the NBA is already looking at the logistics of it just to crown a champion. What form that playoffs take is yet to be seen. MLS is no different.

    Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

  4. #34
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northwest Territories (Section 226)
    Posts
    6,934
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Crazy days indeed, hang in there everybody! Maybe re-watch the two-part Toronto - Montreal playoff series.

    And for god's sake:


  5. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    4,777
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Out of all the leagues, I think MLS will end up coming out of this the best given that we had just started the season, meaning we have the most time to make things up later.

    I really wonder the European leagues, though. It would be dumb IMO to just void the season; they can make some sort of playoff or something.

  6. #36
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Somewhere, Anywhere.
    Posts
    9,955
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Crazy days indeed, hang in there everybody! Maybe re-watch the two-part Toronto - Montreal playoff series.

    And for god's sake:

    Yep, got my MLS Cup DVD ready to go !!

    Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

  7. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think NFL will come out the best
    Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Out of all the leagues, I think MLS will end up coming out of this the best given that we had just started the season, meaning we have the most time to make things up later.

    I really wonder the European leagues, though. It would be dumb IMO to just void the season; they can make some sort of playoff or something.

  8. #38
    RPB Member Banners Team
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    111
    Posts
    404
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Yep, got my MLS Cup DVD ready to go !!
    Yeah that though occurred to me over the weekend and I pulled my set out - only to remember I sold my DVD player at the garage sale last summer

  9. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Wondering how the progress of our injuries is coming along

  10. #40
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    304
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fergiejr View Post
    I keep refreshing the page.

    Heard yesteday on Twitter that the US gov is recommending 2 months of no crowds greater than 50 people. I don't have the tweet or the source, so take that as what it is. Would this mean closed door games to get them underway?

    For NHL and NBA, yeah, those seasons are likely done. Might come back to playoffs. No one will be in game shape though.
    I have to be honest craving sports so much right now, i would gladly watch empty stadium football.

  11. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    AEW wrestling and AFL still on in next 48 hours

  12. #42
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    15,537
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    AFL being played still is mindblowing - that sport already reduces the average lifespan of a player by 20 years or so. The TV bosses have spoken, it seems.

    *********

    The estimates about how long this goes on keep getting stretched. All we can do is take it one day at a time.

  13. #43
    RPB Member Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,380
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    AFL being played still is mindblowing - that sport already reduces the average lifespan of a player by 20 years or so. The TV bosses have spoken, it seems.

    *********

    The estimates about how long this goes on keep getting stretched. All we can do is take it one day at a time.
    Players wanted it per this article. They are closed doors games, but still...

    https://www.bbc.com/sport/51948907


  14. #44
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fort Kickass!
    Posts
    5,346
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Wasn't sure if AFL meant Australian Football League, or Arena Football League.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

  15. #45
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Roncy
    Posts
    1,060
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    And now suspended until (at least) May 10th...

    https://www.tsn.ca/major-league-socc...date-1.1458845

  16. #46
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ajax (Top O'114 on gameday)
    Posts
    2,835
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WestStandGeoff View Post
    And now suspended until (at least) May 10th...

    https://www.tsn.ca/major-league-socc...date-1.1458845
    Yeah got the email from TFC today. Writing was on the wall already with the ruling already out there for 8 week ban on events so we all knew it was coming but now it is official from the club.

  17. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,761
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    "....with May 10 as a targeted return date."

    I don't agree with what MLS is doing here. In fact, this is just terrible.

    Right now there is a major issue with people not taking this seriously enough. MLS are just contributing to that by acting as though an endgame is in sight (which, btw, the NBA, NHL and MLB are not doing)

    The US curve of daily new cases (scroll down to see it here ) is quite frightening.
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

    Canada's curve is no better. This thing is not getting better, or anywhere close to under control.
    https://art-bd.shinyapps.io/covid19canada/

    We are still in the max containment phase. Anything that distracts from that, or somehow enables people to get ready to move on... IS BAD. IT MAKES THIS PHASE LONGER AND MORE DEADLY. The end is not in sight.

    Plus this is pointless kabuki. The relevant authorities own this issue. Not the leagues or teams.
    Last edited by ensco; 03-19-2020 at 02:49 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  18. #48
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    514
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    "....with May 10 as a targeted return date."

    I don't agree with what MLS is doing here. In fact, this is just terrible.

    Right now there is a major issue with people not taking this seriously enough. MLS are just contributing to that by acting as though an endgame is in sight (which, btw, the NBA, NHL and MLB are not doing)

    The US curve of daily new cases (scroll down to see it here ) is quite frightening.
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

    Canada's curve is no better. This thing is not getting better, or anywhere close to under control.
    https://art-bd.shinyapps.io/covid19canada/

    We are still in the max containment phase. Anything that distracts from that, or somehow enables people to get ready to move on... IS BAD. IT MAKES THIS PHASE LONGER AND MORE DEADLY. The end is not in sight.

    Plus this is pointless kabuki. The relevant authorities own this issue. Not the leagues or teams.
    Ensco et al: Few people understand how pandemics develop and long they take to pan out. If you take the case of China, with all of their draconian steps, it took at least 3 months BEFORE intra-community cases of contamination seem to have stopped. Italy and Spain will be longer. The US ... who knows, having responded in such a non-challant fashion.
    So for any sports league in North America (or anywhere else), to say that the cancellation of games will continue until XXX is completely irresponsible and points to an end to the problem at a date when it will not happen - a false sense of security.
    This virus is darn serious because of its contagious capacity. The Red Patch Boys, TCF, MLS, and everyone else should really respect the damage that COVID 19 can do. And I am not thinking economics here.
    STAY HOME and STAY HEALTHY!

  19. #49
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    15,537
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I agree with those last two posts.

    Just to add:

    There are teams in this league that would have problems with cash flow if they have to pay back season tickets. One reason is you can't count on some billionaires still being billionaires in a few months. Not sure if teams will go under at this level - but teams will lower down, I am certain.

  20. #50
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,672
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I agree with those last two posts.

    Just to add:

    There are teams in this league that would have problems with cash flow if they have to pay back season tickets. One reason is you can't count on some billionaires still being billionaires in a few months. Not sure if teams will go under at this level - but teams will lower down, I am certain.
    I love TFC. Have been there since the beginning. Almost every home game, lots of road games. But it's just not important right now. Not even sure when it comes back how I will feel.

    And I agree with the above posts - the leagues just need to say: "we'll come back when the authorities say it is safe to do so. In the meantime please follow their direction like we are."

    And if the billionaires aren't billionaires then, so be it. Maybe they will now appreciate why people need full time jobs, pensions, sick leave etc.

  21. #51
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Section 119
    Posts
    11,529
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hope everyone is well and staying safe. Hopefully we can get back to the good things in life sooner rather than later.

  22. #52
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    15,537
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    City of Toronto banning public events until the end of June.

    No TFC for sure until July

    As Tenorio pointed out, this is the first MLS city saying the shutdown (not yet a lockdown) will go into the summer.

  23. #53
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Somewhere, Anywhere.
    Posts
    9,955
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    City of Toronto banning public events until the end of June.

    No TFC for sure until July

    As Tenorio pointed out, this is the first MLS city saying the shutdown (not yet a lockdown) will go into the summer.
    I kind of wonder what any league will do if they have few teams, 1 or 2 saying they can not play, what happens if others are allowed to proceed in some way? Is it everyone or no-one approach for a league?

    Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

  24. #54
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This season should just be scrapped.
    North America governments didn't take this seriously enough. To inform citizens. Or even help China back in January.
    Even I didn't last month realized how bad it was, until it was too late.

  25. #55
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northwest Territories (Section 226)
    Posts
    6,934
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TFC1986 View Post
    This season should just be scrapped.
    North America governments didn't take this seriously enough. To inform citizens. Or even help China back in January.
    Even I didn't last month realized how bad it was, until it was too late.
    You're right, but not just North America. Almost no western countries took it seriously enough. And you can see what an impact sports can have in that situation: a single Champions League match between Atlanta and Venezia, likely played a huge role in the incredibly deadly outbreak in the Bergamo/Lombardy region of Italy (in addition to undetected infection being spread in the local hospital). https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/...irus-outbreak/

    And the US continues to be such an unbelievable shitshow. Many states still don't have any significant shutdowns in place. The Mango Twittler is redefining up to 200,000 dead as "success." (That would be 4 times the US deaths during the whole Vietnam war.) The situation in the US is going to have a massive indirect impact on Canada, and of course also on all our shared sports leagues.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 04-01-2020 at 02:47 AM.

  26. #56
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Just scrap the MLS season

  27. #57
    RPB Member Vice-President
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    112 - Drumming/Cheering
    Posts
    426
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    No Public events, doesn't mean the games cant be done behind closed doors. But yeah season looks unlikely.

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    City of Toronto banning public events until the end of June.

    No TFC for sure until July

    As Tenorio pointed out, this is the first MLS city saying the shutdown (not yet a lockdown) will go into the summer.
    Road Games:
    2013, 2014, 2015 - Montreal; 2016 - Montreal (Leg 1 Conference Final); 2017 - NYRB (Leg 1 Eastern Semi), Columbus (Leg 1 Eastern Finals); 2019 - Seattle (MLS Finals)

  28. #58
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Don Mills and Lawrence
    Posts
    794
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    toronto montreal and vancouver should play in the CPL if we get through this in decent shape by july.

    Border with US will be closed for a while...

  29. #59
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,761
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    A very respected columnist is saying "let's get real, no sports until 2021"

    https://www.latimes.com/sports/story...out-until-2021
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  30. #60
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ajax (Top O'114 on gameday)
    Posts
    2,835
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    A very respected columnist is saying "let's get real, no sports until 2021"
    Seriously though, I can't see the league coming back this season. Any notion to say we are back to normal days in 2020 and watching MLS games is a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •