Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    I’d bring him back at a reduced rate. Give him Zavaleta’s money (300k). He can come off the bench for Poz, or start for him when he needs rest. Can play CM too when needed.
    On paper, that sounds like a great idea. Poz looked tired last night and could use a backup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently Victor Vazquez is on his way to India. https://alkhaleejtoday.co/sport/5092...galuru-FC.html

Such a weird and winding career path for someone so talented.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post

A whole lotta crazy results yesterdays.
    I think I newer saw in MLS in a single gameday so many better teams shitting themselves in front of weaker teams.

IMO the only explanation can be general fatigue of players because of the program congestion.
    If both teams equally fatigued, the difference between a "strong team" and a "weak team" is a lot less evident compared to if both teams are well rested.
    W/o looking closely at the results, or which ones are home & away in each game...
    I read in Europe they found that there's much less homefield advantage with no fans in the stadium. Probably a similar but reduced effect if there are a small number of fans in the stadium. A major part of the difference seems to be due to how the officials call the game in those environments

So in addition to general fatigue:
    - a whole bunch of other distractions, worries, and different routines in the year 2020
    - and possibly different impact of home & away.

Perhaps all the above is leading to more unexpected results? The other thing: with relative parity in MLS compared to many big footy leagues, it doesn't take as much to affect the expected outcome of games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Apparently Victor Vazquez is on his way to India. https://alkhaleejtoday.co/sport/5092...galuru-FC.html

Such a weird and winding career path for someone so talented.
    Huh? That came out of left field.

I wonder what must have been said between him and Manning when he openly said he wanted to come back to Toronto before signing with KAS. Must not be close on the salary. He might be a last 2 years of his career guy here, and then coaching.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will be interesting to see how many people actually attend. There can't be that many TFC fans based in Connecticut?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post

Will be interesting to see how many people actually attend. There can't be that many TFC fans based in Connecticut?
    5,000? That will be taken up just by Murph Malone and his friends.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

14 day quarantine coming back for anybody thinking about it.

Not interested but I can imagine the temptation for some if we somehow made it to the cup final.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    14 day quarantine coming back for anybody thinking about it.

Not interested but I can imagine the temptation for some if we somehow made it to the cup final.
    I am sure some will think it would be worth it, still a little surprised that a negative test within 72 hours of your travel is not enough to get out of quarantine. Rapid testing will be the game changer on many fronts.
    Wonder why its only for the last game, Hartford Athletic of USL was having fans in the stands since their re-start, 1,375 a game, meeting the Connecticut guideline of 25% in the stands. TFC is actually selling less than the 25% they are allowed. If all 5,000 seats are sold thats 12.5 capacticty, half of what they could sell.

Wonder if because there opponent three days before at home is NYCFC they wanted to avoid a Third Rail invasion and some of the issues that could come with that like out of the blue having 1,000 people jammed into one end. etc
    Last edited by Red CB Toronto; 10-16-2020 at 02:52 PM.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally some common sense, logic and reason kicks in! Hats off to the state of Connecticut

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This becomes really interesting if we get to MLS Cup final and we win the Supporters Shield... That might be worth the risk / impact....

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    I am sure some will think it would be worth it, still a little surprised that a negative test within 72 hours of your travel is not enough to get out of quarantine. Rapid testing will be the game changer on many fronts.
    Wonder why its only for the last game, Hartford Athletic of USL was having fans in the stands since their re-start, 1,375 a game, meeting the Connecticut guideline of 25% in the stands. TFC is actually selling less than the 25% they are allowed. If all 5,000 seats are sold thats 12.5 capacticty, half of what they could sell.

Wonder if because there opponent three days before at home is NYCFC they wanted to avoid a Third Rail invasion and some of the issues that could come with that like out of the blue having 1,000 people jammed into one end. etc
    Toronto 'til I die although still a Leeds fan at heart...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can imagine some TFC fans making the trip if they are working from home anyways. Then the quarantine wouldn't be too big of a deal since they can still work.

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't get what value this is adding for our team. They are inviting in a tiny number of TFC fans that might live around that area. And then we get a bunch of random soccer families to sit and watch us? How is that going to give the team any advantage? It's more useless than the 250 Saputo crowd. And playoffs? We get our Northeast US opponents filling it up against us?

TFC FO already had to tweet out it isn't marketing to or encouraging people in Toronto to go. They had to do that because federal travel advisories only recommend essential travel out of the country. Putting aside what individuals might want to do, you'd think MLSE would keep itself aligned with public health measures. They'll have to think pretty hard about what they do if we make the final.
    Last edited by Redpunkfiddle; 10-16-2020 at 05:18 PM.
    That's all I'll say about that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually think it might be a very pro Miami crowd filled with Higuain gawkers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    I'm convinced that if spectators would be allowed for the NYCFC game, there would be a lot more NYCFC fans than TFC fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NYCFC's avg attendance last year was only 21,000. I am not so sure many New Yorkers would make the trip to Hartford during a pandemic to see their team play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post
    Finally some common sense, logic and reason kicks in! Hats off to the state of Connecticut
    It was that same common sense that has caused over 210,000 Covid deaths in the U.S. and counting. Lots of common sense there. No disrespect intended and you are entitled to your own view, but I prefer the approach taken here in Canada.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    NYCFC's avg attendance last year was only 21,000. I am not so sure many New Yorkers would make the trip to Hartford during a pandemic to see their team play.
    Yes but they can’t go to games in NJ or NY right now. Perhaps a fair number would do the quick trip to Hartford. I bet plenty of NYC fans live in CT anyway.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So....apparently Greg Vanney took penalties

See the second goal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Supporters' Shield this year..........

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/...g-decision-isc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boddington View Post

They scared to send it north of the border again or something?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not down with that. I get why the ISC made the decision but the thinking bugs the crap out of me.

The idea that supporters not being able to go somehow means support doesn't exist is baffling.

This feeling that we do not support the team if we are not present is proof to me that even at the supporters level, at the hardest of hard core, many supporter groups still look at this all as a day out.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boddington View Post

The ISC should award a special Supporters Shield for this year: a stainless-steel asterisk. And make it 3D, because we all know what that looks like.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not down with that. I get why the ISC made the decision but the thinking bugs the crap out of me.

The idea that supporters not being able to go somehow means support doesn't exist is baffling.

This feeling that we do not support the team if we are not present is proof to me that even at the supporters level, at the hardest of hard core, many supporter groups still look at this all as a day out.
    Exactly. I was expecting them to say something about the very unbalanced and unusual schedule, with all the related interruptions and distractions, and therefore a winner of the "regular season" is iffy. To make it related to not being in the stadiums: bizarre. This year, I and many others support the people and things we love by staying away from them physically, and supporting in other ways.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Yes but they can’t go to games in NJ or NY right now. Perhaps a fair number would do the quick trip to Hartford. I bet plenty of NYC fans live in CT anyway.
    If the NYCFC game was open to fans, you would see a Third Rail invasion for sure, no doubt in my mind. After reading Bill's comment they took that into consideration and probably will during the post season.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very poor coming so late, and the rationale is fuzzy as people are saying.
    Last edited by Redpunkfiddle; 10-17-2020 at 03:48 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is such a joke, the Supporter Shield is awarded for on field excellence not if fans are in the stands or not, to me this is very petty. While I would have loved to be in the stands as all of us here would have, it has no way tempered my passion for the Reds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I’m the players now with a playoff spot locked up, f*** the remaining games. Forfeit them and spend time with family. This is ludicrous even by MLS standards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess living in Nova Scotia and being unable to attend TFC games means I am not a supporter according to their statement.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I guess living in Nova Scotia and being unable to attend TFC games means I am not a supporter according to their statement.
    Exactly. And maybe away games should never count towards the Supporters' Shield race, since there usually aren't many away supporters at games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't believe the league allows this group to dictate to the league what trophies it can award. If I am Garber I would tell this group to go pound salt and announce a new trophy for the regular season champion. Unless of course this is just a ploy to deny a Canadian club from winning.