Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2020 General TFC/MLS Banter (no transfer/roster discussion)

This thread is a catch-all for general banter not specifically related to transfer rumours.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atlanta is in big trouble losing Martinez for most likely the season. They now have to lean on Barco and Pity for all their offense. Club America will likely bounce them from Champions League relatively easily. It will be interesting to see how they bounce back mentally from this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't overdo the Atlanta handwringing.

They still have Pity Martinez. I don't know what happened to him last year, but he is probably still the biggest signing/talent in MLS history (when considering both age and pedigree), and this may free him to unlock his game.

Pity instantly becomes the one of the favourites to be MLS Player of the Year.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^not if Vela has another hot year

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on what I've been seeing in CCL & in Nashville, I think Atlanta will be OK by the end of the season - not SS winners but top 3. Defence will take a couple of months to gel together but their attack is going to be a false 9 approach. Martinez is a poacher, a great one, so they will have to pass the ball around a bit more with a bit more patience. There is going to be some hand wringing from their fans for a few months but by June, I think they hit their stride again.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

They still have Pity Martinez. I don't know what happened to him last year, but he is probably still the biggest signing/talent in MLS history (when considering both age and pedigree), and this may free him to unlock his game.

Sometimes I feel like you say things as a way to gamble. You say the most outlandish things - if they come up being right, you look like a football genius, if not, you move on to the next thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we are talking Argies winning MVP, I think it might be Pavon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Barco is still on the upswing too. Took that goal quite well in the first game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Sometimes I feel like you say things as a way to gamble. You say the most outlandish things - if they come up being right, you look like a football genius, if not, you move on to the next thing.
    I would say more that I enjoy trying to be colourful.

But you do realize that you have just called “outlandish” the idea that the most expensive player in MLS history may have a stellar year.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    Atlanta is in big trouble losing Martinez for most likely the season. They now have to lean on Barco and Pity for all their offense. Club America will likely bounce them from Champions League relatively easily. It will be interesting to see how they bounce back mentally from this.
    Hi Guys as my first post I would like to say if TFC stays healthy they are now the favourites for MLS cup sorry Atlanta

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Shankly View Post
    Hi Guys as my first post I would like to say if TFC stays healthy they are now the favourites for MLS cup sorry Atlanta
    Quickly log out and never come back. Trust me, you'll be happier for it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I would say more that I enjoy trying to be colourful.
    But you do realize that you have just called “outlandish” the idea that the most expensive player in MLS history may have a stellar year.
    Outlandish because it's based on the fact that Josef Martinez was blocking him from having that great season. I get the game plan was probably "Get the ball to Josef" but I find it hard to believe with less quality in the squad, "Get the ball to Pity" will be enough to to have not just a stellar year - but an MLS POTY year.

I think at best, we'll see Pity have a top 10, maybeeeee top 5 year during his MLS tenure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djking2 View Post
    Quickly log out and never come back. Trust me, you'll be happier for it.
    This is my favourite post ever. Wonderful

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Corona update

LA health emergency not yet requiring closed door games

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Shankly View Post
    Don't listen to others - TFC is a great choice of club to support. Welcome aboard!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy hosting SportsCentre was funny.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by magmadragon View Post
    Altidore delivering Draw 12 highlights from the Brier was good value

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by magmadragon View Post
    Hot take: he's already starting to plan his retirement, seeing if he'd be able to go into broadcasting after his playing days are done. And if he gets injured again before mid-season, he'll retire so we can use the DP slot for the second half.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Walked into BMO with Ford sign where the Sonnet sign used to be. Looks like they dropped Kia. I'm not surprised tho because of the Leafs. Maybe Raptors will follow suit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cavalleni is gonna have a long season. Vancouver has no one to make plays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I've said it before, but CAM (the creator or Pozuelo and Victor Vazquez position) is the most important in soccer/mls.

Without that special creative player driving the offence, it is so hard to make things happen.

Yes I think Cavalini will not get the service to score goals really limiting his production. Cavalini would have been a great fit for TFC...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the same thought.

Too bad, cause the guy is a real wrecking ball out there. Player you hate to play against but love to have on your team.

I’m surprised they somehow got the result last night. Their team is pretty awful and the cheapness of ownership shows.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 03-08-2020 at 12:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone see Delgado call out Josh Kloke for being Liam Fraser's biggest fanboy on Twitter? Kind of deserved, to be honest. Kloke obviously has some ties to Fraser's family or agent with the way he constantly promotes him on Twitter and in his articles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone see Delgado call out Josh Kloke for being Liam Fraser's biggest fanboy on Twitter? Kind of deserved, to be honest. Kloke obviously has some ties to Fraser's family or agent with the way he constantly promotes him on Twitter and in his articles.
    Where did you see that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    Where did you see that?
    https://twitter.com/MarkyDelgado/sta...335791105?s=20

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My guess is this is something their German sporting director, who only started last November, and his team are continuing to look into as the season progresses, and with the secondary transfer window still to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    I've said it before, but CAM (the creator or Pozuelo and Victor Vazquez position) is the most important in soccer/mls.

Without that special creative player driving the offence, it is so hard to make things happen.

Yes I think Cavalini will not get the service to score goals really limiting his production. Cavalini would have been a great fit for TFC...
    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I had the same thought.

Too bad, cause the guy is a real wrecking ball out there. Player you hate to play against but love to have on your team.

I’m surprised they somehow got the result last night. Their team is pretty awful and the cheapness of ownership shows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, so he wasn't criticizing Fraser, he was defending himself. That's fine, and he had a point. He did play a good game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All major pro leagues active right now (i.e. not the NFL) close locker rooms to journos afterwards - will use mix zones & interview rooms.

If I as to game out how this is going to go down:

Saturday @ BMO goes ahead as planned

21st @ Cinci - behind closed doors

4th April @ Columbus- behind closed doors

11 April @ BMO - behind closed doors

15 April @ DCU - postponed

After that is just too far away to guess but if I had to, looking at China, I think we get games back by late May.

MLS is relying upon local officials and although stuff is happening in Ohio, I think it moves to "no crowds" time by then but not "Lock down the town" time. DC though is going to be in panic mode by the end of this month. I think we move in Toronto to "avoid crowds" by early April.

Edit - local officials in San Jose have just banned crowds of more then 1K. Next San Jose game is March 21st.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 03-09-2020 at 09:59 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When health officials advised the Sharks do not play and they went ahead anyways, that said a lot of what the North American leagues are thinking. The women's world hockey championships which was suppose to take place in a few weeks in Nova Scotia has been cancelled. Can only take that as a sign of more to come considering where it was suppose to take place. There is so much conflicting messaging going on it the US right now that I am sure it confusing for some at times. You can only reply on local officials so much as at some point you are going to have to make a real decision for all on if and under what circumstances games will be played.

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    All major pro leagues active right now (i.e. not the NFL) close locker rooms to journos afterwards - will use mix zones & interview rooms.

If I as to game out how this is going to go down:

Saturday @ BMO goes ahead as planned

21st @ Cinci - behind closed doors

4th April @ Columbus- behind closed doors

11 April @ BMO - behind closed doors

15 April @ DCU - postponed

After that is just too far away to guess.

MLS is relying upon local officials and although stuff is happening in Ohio, I think it moves to "no crowds" time by then but not "Lock down the town" time. DC though is going to be in panic mode by the end of this month. I think we move to "avoid crowds" by early April.

Edit - local officials in San Jose have just banned crowds of more then 1K. Next San Jose game is March 21st.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The US's best health personnel & policy decision making is local now - they see where stuff is happening and are best able to make decisions locally. MLS is probably better to rely upon them. Garber knows better then to rely upon the US Feds right now for anything.

In Canada, health is a provincial matter constitutionally and they are best prepared to deal with this stuff on a local basis and provide guidance. The feds can only step in if they see outright incompetence and no official has shown that yet. The feds have asked for updates from all provinces as to plans. Travel bans to counties and from countries are federal jurisdiction but we are not likely to see a ban on travel to and from the US.

Leagues might make decisions - the NBA is heading there quicker then most - to shut down or take the crowds out of games - some of that will be union driven but a lot of it also driven by the avoidance of lawsuits. I could see pressure on Garber to make that call happening.