Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    We might have a strike to start the season

https://www.espn.com/soccer/major-le...ate-cba-source
    You can't really blame the league here, though. Being in this position of losing so much revenue, they have to do something or it could literally be the fate of the league itself.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The deeper thinking going around is the league understands that there will not be butts in seats until the Fall. We might be quicker up here actually.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    You can't really blame the league here, though. Being in this position of losing so much revenue, they have to do something or it could literally be the fate of the league itself.
    I have no strong opinion on this topic yet, haven't thought or read enough about it, but I find it pretty amazing that you seem to take the management position on pretty well any topic concerning TFC and its players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I have no strong opinion on this topic yet, haven't thought or read enough about it, but I find it pretty amazing that you seem to take the management position on pretty well any topic concerning TFC and its players.
    I think you have to be fair towards ownership in a league that is primarily gate driven, in contrast to the NFL and NBA where they have huge television deals. We are seeing the same thing play out in the NHL where the owners wanted a significantly reduced regular season. I don't think any of us want to see teams folding or the league in financial difficulties. At the end of the day these teams are all businesses

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    I think you have to be fair towards ownership in a league that is primarily gate driven, in contrast to the NFL and NBA where they have huge television deals. We are seeing the same thing play out in the NHL where the owners wanted a significantly reduced regular season. I don't think any of us want to see teams folding or the league in financial difficulties. At the end of the day these teams are all businesses
    Yes it's difficult in this case, but I've seen a significant pattern from James17930, concerning a bunch of different stories over time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Yes it's difficult in this case, but I've seen a significant pattern from James17930, concerning a bunch of different stories over time.
    Because I recognize the economics of the league. In terms of money, we're not much ahead of (and even possibly behind) the English Championship, and back in the summer there were some Championship clubs saying they could go out of business. The EPL and the Football League had to make a bailout package for them:

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...clubs-12150133

Who would bailout MLS? The gov't? Nope.

FWIW, back in the spring I was on the players' side when MLS tried to force even harsher pay reductions than what they eventually did, because they tried it at the last minute and it was a shitty thing to do without consultation.

But in this case, I think the numbers speak for themselves. We are literally talking about the survival of the league here. The players don't have much choice but to get on board, otherwise they're all going to be looking for new jobs by the end of the year.

That being said, anything MLS does on this front should be done in full consultation with the MLSPA. No secrecy, no grandstanding. Show them the numbers so they can see what the situation is, then come to the most equitable agreement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Hate to break it to you but this league is in no way at risk.

It’s as simple as: if you have the cash as an owner would you stomach $25 million in losses to protect your asset of $250 million, which has even further potential to grow down the road? Of course you would, every day of the week.

If ownership doesn’t have the cash to float the teams, someone else would buy this league in three tenths of a second.

These cries of poverty should be ignored.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 12-30-2020 at 08:33 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If MLS has been losing money for 25 years, how come people, some of them fairly smart who would never buy something that isn't a good bet, keep buying teams?

These owners are not Div 2 suckers who just want to own a team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm betting that MLS is losing money, but it's SUM that is giving dividends to the owners on its media dealings that more than make up for it.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I'm betting that MLS is losing money, but it's SUM that is giving dividends to the owners on its media dealings that more than make up for it.
    That combined with huge tax write offs for team investments such as stadiums that rich owners can use to reduce their taxes from their other businesses. MLS isn't a charity, and they aren't just doing it for the love of the game or to build up the USMNT and the CMNT. Those may be factors for someone like Larry T. but the bottom line is the bottom line.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Hate to break it to you but this league is in no way at risk.

It’s as simple as: if you have the cash as an owner would you stomach $25 million in losses to protect your asset of $250 million, which has even further potential to grow down the road? Of course you would, every day of the week.

If ownership doesn’t have the cash to float the teams, someone else would buy this league in three tenths of a second.

These cries of poverty should be ignored.
    Those are good points, and possibly true. But even when they were losing money in the past, they still had money coming in. Losing 1 billion in revenue might be just what they can handle, but losing more might be too much. They actually might not be able to pay the operational costs of the league.

Of course I don't know for sure, but it seems valid to me at face value. This is why I think the league and the PA need to sit down together over the books and have an honest and transparent discussion about the finances so the players know they're not being duped, and if the money situation is as dire as the league states, the players should understand that and get on board with protecting the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

25,000 attendance times $40 average ticket price times 20 home matches is 20 million gross revenue plus concessions, at least another 10. That's ballpark gross stadium revenue that TFC has lost this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh they lost 1 billion they say? Time to open up expansion!

3 Spots for 333M will solve it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the gate driven teams, the revenue loss is the coming year with the total lack of renewals. There is no SSH revenue this year beyond the few new ones.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto