Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sooo.

Get ready for 36 year old Messi....

(I maintain there are only 2 teams who would be able & willing to afford Messi for here in MLS - us & NYCFC)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Sooo.

Get ready for 36 year old Messi....
    Villa was good for them but all other NYCFC older aged DP's like Lampard and Pirlo did not fare so well in MLS. Messi will still sell shirts at 36 but how many players can play a significant role in MLS at 36, even formerly great players?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I vaguely remember an icon coming to a NY team when he was 34/35 in the 70s.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Villa was good for them but all other NYCFC older aged DP's like Lampard and Pirlo did not fare so well in MLS. Messi will still sell shirts at 36 but how many players can play a significant role in MLS at 36, even formerly great players?
    Zlatan and Drogba to name a couple (maybe Keane too?). Although I concede outright physicality or those guys is just too much for the average MLS defender to handle / less of a concern with age.

No question Messi at a fraction of his current powers would be a force but how much gas left in the tank? You never know when these guys are going to show down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Lampard never really seemed like he wanted to be in mls, but he still got got 15 goals in 29 games from midfield, not too shabby. I'd take that for a striker never mind a midfielder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Zlatan and Drogba to name a couple (maybe Keane too?). Although I concede outright physicality or those guys is just too much for the average MLS defender to handle / less of a concern with age.

No question Messi at a fraction of his current powers would be a force but how much gas left in the tank? You never know when these guys are going to show down.
    Keane maybe? there shouldn't be any doubt in that regard.
    in mls he scored 104 goals in 165 games as per wiki, winning 3 mls cups in 6 seasons. For comparison purposes Gio scored 83 in 142 games for us. I'd personally put Keane ahead of either Ibra or Drogba re mls success. Not saying he was a better player than either, as he wasn't, but re their time in mls, he was a bigger influence. Both Drogba and Ibra came too late to mls for any of their teams to build a dynasty, Keane and LA were smart, he came when he was 31.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ no argument here. He was a dominant player.

My memory was just a bit hazy about how he did in his last few years of MLS (since Messi will be around that age when/if he comes) which is why I put in the question mark. Admittedly I was too lazy to check.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And the plot thickens....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frederico Higuain is joining his brother in Miami.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/...inter-miami-cf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    I vaguely remember an icon coming to a NY team when he was 34/35 in the 70s.
    You mean Beckenbauer?
    Wrt the Whitecaps, I'm not surprised at that revelation. The ownership has no vision and is just flailing away looking for someone to instill one. it's probably better for them to sell the team to someone who actually wants to invest themselves in the team. But odds are if they sell the franchise, it's going to be moved and that's one less Canadian team in MLS.
    Last edited by Initial B; 10-10-2020 at 08:28 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto