Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I agree generally, and was thinking of bringing it up but wasn't sure especially in this thread. I would modify what you said though: I believe the article shows that Jozy definitely had a valid point; "accurate" might going too far. But the fact that MB had some "good, hard, honest, direct conversations with everybody inside the club" shows that something was up. But also: "Since then, we’ve all moved on." - which I believe likely refers to MB, Jozy, and everybody in the club.
    Yes, yu put this better than I did. And my comment probably did not belong in the thread. but these days i suspect the mods are being lenient...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dutch media has linked us to Jonathan De Guzman.

https://www.voetbalzone.nl/doc.asp?uid=370958

It says he's fallen out of favour at Eintracht Frankfurt and we want to secure his transfer as soon as the coronavirus situation is resolved in North America. His contract is expiring so it would be a free or nominal-figure transfer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where is this cap room coming from though?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many international spots do we have left?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Dutch media has linked us to Jonathan De Guzman.

https://www.voetbalzone.nl/doc.asp?uid=370958

It says he's fallen out of favour at Eintracht Frankfurt and we want to secure his transfer as soon as the coronavirus situation is resolved in North America. His contract is expiring so it would be a free or nominal-figure transfer.
    Only played 3 matches in the 19/20 season. Has a muscle injury from late August to mid November then never made it back onto the pitch. Contract is up in June, on a non-DP contract he would be worth the gamble

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many starting midfielders can you have on one team?

How many good midfielders do you need if you want to go 4-3-3?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Barf. That would be a tough one to swallow as a CMNT fan.

I’m sure there our other ways to improve the club and for the love of god, no more broken down golf carts we can “fix” please

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sn0re View Post
    He actually would be a domestic player as he is Canadian.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's a bit of an odd get... unless we're shipping off Delgado before his contract is up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I think it's a bit of an odd get... unless we're shipping off Delgado before his contract is up.
    So, if JDG2 is healthy, he will be an upgrade if Marky is sold midseason or at the end of the year. I, for some self-loathing reason, have followed JDG2's career very closely over the years. So I can say with some confidence he will be very good in MLS. Again, if he's healthy.

Deldago was pretty clear in his interview with KJ he wants out. So, if it's Mexico or Europe, I wish him the best. He's been a beast for this club. He will be remembered fondly.

As for JDG2, we do owe him a loud round of boos when he first steps on the pitch. If there is ever live soccer again... After that, I think we can cheer for him. As a Canada Soccer diehard, I will never forgive him, but perhaps some glory with TFC could be a step towards redemption in some small way.

On a brighter note, it's nice to have a transfer rumour again. I really miss soccer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sn0re View Post
    I see what you did there.
    But to the question at hand, I'm not sure how he'd fit into Vanney's setup. There's also chemistry and is he that much a step up in quality compared to what we have for the price he'd cost?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

LOL - went for the money - I don't blame him.

But if he comes back - he's not coming back as a player.
    Would make the most sense to see him put his stamp on the academy. That is Curtis' passion - so don't be surprised if he come in at some capacity there. A director or someone who sets up the structure of the academy or something.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 04-23-2020 at 12:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vazquez is 33. No spring chicken but that's not completely over the hill...

If he came back on a Cheyrou type sweetheart deal, why not?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He'd be a Cheyrou role, but in attack. Mentor position.

He'd have to go through allocation, BTW. We'd be tossing some Garber bucks to somebody.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the opposite view, here's Wheeler - usually I'd say he hears what TFC is thinking and uses that when discussing moves but as he's not with them right now, not 100% sold on his 100% certainty this isn't going to happen

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly if Vazquez is willing to be another Benoit Cheyrou and accept a small wage and sub role, I wouldn't be against him coming back.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Honestly if Vazquez is willing to be another Benoit Cheyrou and accept a small wage and sub role, I wouldn't be against him coming back.
    From your lips to Ali's ears

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    For the opposite view, here's Wheeler - usually I'd say he hears what TFC is thinking and uses that when discussing moves but as he's not with them right now, not 100% sold on his 100% certainty this isn't going to happen

I mean, okay, respect to Wheeler but it’s Victor Vazquez!

What is the downside if he gets added to the rotation?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

Salary space under the "cap."
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and international spot. maybe even a change in formation to cover vazquez's lack of mobility in midfield
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Valid points. That said, at a Cheyrou type price and a substitute role I’ll take it.

Risk / reward would be quite favourable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would take Vazquez back. A sub role and load management role when Pozo needs a day off.

Not worried about international spots as we're in good position with domestics like Jozy/Bradley/Omar/Osorio/Delgado playing valuable roles. Some of our internationals are subs Gallardo/Endoh/Achara. Heck we used a spot on Bakero for two years. We have an empty slot and we can always acquire one via trade.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Valid points. That said, at a Cheyrou type price and a substitute role I’ll take it.

Risk / reward would be quite favourable.

Cheyrou wasn't injury prone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much was Vazquez transferred for? MLS allocation says they must go through the process for fees over 500,000. I feel like I read he was transferred for 500,000 back then to Qatar. And now I have this crazy thought. Wasn't Bez the MLS cap guy, imagine if he realized a loophole would be to transfer him for $499,999 instead of an even 500,000.

Probably not likely given I read Wheeler say he is subject to Allocation, but just imagine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bring him back in a heartbeat. The way he's talking sounds like he regrets choosing money over other factors so that may not be a sticky point here.
    Limited minutes, cover for Pozo, mentor to young guns, future academy coach and TFC manager.
    Yes please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they can bring him under the cap, then I'd say pull the trigger.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    If they can bring him under the cap, then I'd say pull the trigger.
    Not sure how Covid 19 affected the buy out rules in MLS but if it got pushed back then buy out Zavaleta and give Vasquez the $300K.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VV didn’t make a mistake. He made $8M the last two years instead of the $1.5M he was going to make if he stayed. He is set up for life, every last person here should be lucky enough to be offered a chance to make this mistake.

I would do it, but Pozo is going 90 minutes, and he is rarely sitting. Vazquez isn’t a sub for Pozo.

He and Pozo would be pretty interesting together in the 2017 3-5-2.

The issue with Vazquez is that he would be taking minutes from Osorio.

VV should start if he is here, otherwise don’t bother.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-24-2020 at 01:14 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    VV didn’t make a mistake. He made $8M the last two years instead of the $1.5M he was going to make if he stayed. He is set up for life, every last person here should be lucky enough to be offered a chance to make this mistake.

I would do it, but Pozo is going 90 minutes, and he is rarely sitting. Vazquez isn’t a sub for Pozo.

He and Pozo would be pretty interesting together in the 2017 3-5-2.

The issue with Vazquez is that he would be taking minutes from Osorio.

VV should start if he is here, otherwise don’t bother.
    I'm not sure about VV personally these days; I haven't watched him since he went overseas so I don't know what shape he is in. Generally I feel TFC needs to get younger, but Victor is Victor.

I'm not surprised he liked Toronto and wants back. We have a good common acquaintance, and I knew Victor's whole family really loved Toronto when they were here. They really didn't want to leave, and I never got a clear read on the reasoning, especially less than a year after signing an improved contract with Toronto. I'm sure the pay was a big part of that; you're right, he's basically secured his retirement after two years. I also wondered: VV re-signed with TFC after their record-breaking season. They were on top of the world, going for CCL glory, and dreaming of repeating in MLS. Then the wheels came off in the 2018 season; Giovinco & Jozy were upset and trying to re-negotiate; then Bez disappeared on short notice. TFC was no longer a place to "win now." Pair that with Victor's back problems, which I believe were made worse by the cold and the varied surfaces at BMO and the rest of MLS. All of that probably made the $ from Qatar look even shinier in the winter 2018/2019, despite generally wanting to stay in Toronto.

But RE your last line: Victor's age and back issues, in our climate and some of the crappy surfaces around MLS, have me thinking a super-sub role (+ academy afterwards) might be the right role for him. They could probably do a handshake deal to pay a fairly low amount for VV's last year(s) as a player, and a better payday afterwards at the academy.

I'm pretty sure that's what they did with Cheyrou, who took a huge pay cut in his final year as a player. He then hung around with the academy only until the following August, just enough to earn back the money he missed in his last year as a player. (Vazquez would likely want to stay longer.)
    Last edited by Auzzy; 04-24-2020 at 01:42 PM.