Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    He could still go out and get a new DP, however only spend $1.7MM vs $6MM.
    Dude said zero money tho

Anyways - if all the U23 DP stuff is true/going to happen then it will be $$$$ spent on transfer fees vs salary.

Obvi not Poz style transfer fees but I'd expect a few million on a youngin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We’re fucked if Bradley or Caldwell get anywhere close to managing this team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why does everyone say to bring Piatti back on TAM, and then bring in a DP left winger? Piatti is a left winger, that's the position he played in Spain. Get a RW to put Piatti on his natural strong side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He could still go out and get a new DP, however only spend $1.7MM vs $6MM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    This is the problem but I assume Manning will fast track this for at least the start of the season.

If this was the plan they would have just kept Piatti on cheapo DP money.
    I suspect a huge difference between the two is that with TAM, you can only pay someone so much (which is where Piatti would fit). But with the 3rd DP spot, you can still sign them to unlimited $$$, as long as they are under the age of 23. So perhaps that is who they are targeting as the next DP?

Problem is that I don't think Toronto FC has historically been good with signing/scouting/identifying/developing younger players, especially u-23 level, and especially DP quality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post
    how long can we expect the signing of the new manager to take as we are almost at the offseason acquisition period, i hope the club had a shortlist of future managerial candidates or its going to be a difficult offseason
    I'd say 2 weeks

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Gotta hope these vaccines can allow the re-opening of the borders in the Spring.
    Come to think of it, TFC could probably pay to jump the queue & get their players & coaches etc. vaccinated early 2021 in the US, they'll be down there anyway for training.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has it been decided for certain that next season will begin in March given no fans in the seats? Look at the NHL. They seem determined to delay the start of their season as long as possible.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has it been decided for certain that next season will begin in March given no fans in the seats? Look at the NHL. They seem determined to delay the start of their season as long as possible.
    I don't think anything has been decided regarding MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ali says Jozy is coming back next year. I’m not surprised, but I don’t think we’ll ever contend until he’s gone. Not feasible when you only have two legitimate DPs out of three. How on earth two goals this year is an acceptable return from your DP and one of the leagues highest paid strikers is so beyond me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Ali says Jozy is coming back next year. I’m not surprised, but I don’t think we’ll ever contend until he’s gone. Not feasible when you only have two legitimate DPs out of three. How on earth two goals this year is an acceptable return from your DP and one of the leagues highest paid strikers is so beyond me.
    Translation: I made a mistake extending the contract and rather than acknowledge this to my bosses and awkwardly acknowledge how this was the wrong choice, I will pretend it’s not an issue for as long as possible. And then, when enough time and passed and it’s still a tire fire, make hay about how “nobody say it coming”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They said Giovinco & VV were coming back too. They have to say that but in this case, it's a tough one. I can't see anyone buying him and I can't see us eating his contract on a buyout. Only hope is someone is desperate or hopeful and give us a few hundred grand in allocation $$$ for him.

That being said, I say he will be good in 2021. Berhalter said many times this fall that if Jozy can prove he was able to stay healthy and effective that he would by default be the USMNT's best 9 option going forward. I would like to think Jozy cares enough about that to play through some minor knocks, which he clearly doesn't do for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ali pretty much has to say Jozy is coming back. He has a contract and they aren't buying it out. Pretty obvious that both team and player would be open to a parting of ways though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    They said Giovinco & VV were coming back too. They have to say that but in this case, it's a tough one. I can't see anyone buying him and I can't see us eating his contract on a buyout. Only hope is someone is desperate or hopeful and give us a few hundred grand in allocation $$$ for him.

That being said, I say he will be good in 2021. Berhalter said many times this fall that if Jozy can prove he was able to stay healthy and effective that he would by default be the USMNT's best 9 option going forward. I would like to think Jozy cares enough about that to play through some minor knocks, which he clearly doesn't do for us.
    A start would be to get him on a serious training program and make sure he stays on it. I don't know anything about how well he maintains his fitness but he looked heavy this year and the injuries speak to not keeping up with it. If he was a bit lighter and worked on it properly he could still have a few good years.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    A start would be to get him on a serious training program and make sure he stays on it. I don't know anything about how well he maintains his fitness but he looked heavy this year and the injuries speak to not keeping up with it. If he was a bit lighter and worked on it properly he could still have a few good years.
    I agree and I think he might do it but only for his USMNT ambitions, not because of us.

After the USMNT petered out in T&T, you can tell that's when he really started letting it slide.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bring someone coach or DP that brings buzz back to the team. I miss it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they said they jozy is going to be staying, but they also said that about giovinco and VV.

clear by his absence in end of season media availability something is wrong.

also, all indications out of the club are that they are going to splash the cash on that 3rd DP.

hard to see that happening with jozy still on the books, especially with new young DP rules coming in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, in fairness other teams swooped in for those players and we weren’t quite ready to part. If anyone swoops in for Altidore, I’ll be shocked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't Jozy say he wanted to return to the Dutch league at some point? Playing and producing in the Erdivisie would definitely help his case to be the USMNT default number 9. He would obviously need to take a pay cut for a team to want him there though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something to keep an eye on. Osorio has got a new agent/agency. Generally when a player switches agent they are looking for a move or new contract. Given he got a new deal recently...

Anyways, the new agency has some pretty big name players
    https://www.transfermarkt.us/seg-spo...ma/berater/586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could see and understand Oso wanting to explore a move to Europe or maybe to a big club in South America. He is 28 and doesn't have much else to prove in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone pointed out on Twitter that Osorio switched agents which is often a precursor for a move. Let’s hope it’s not, I don’t need any more bad news this off-season.

Edit: looks like I’m late, lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@PsoccerCOM: Hearing 🇵🇹 Paulo Sousa is in talks for the manager opening at Toronto FC of Major League Soccer. #TFC #TorontoFC #TFCLive #MLS https://twitter.com/PsoccerCOM/statu...189696/photo/1

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Something to keep an eye on. Osorio has got a new agent/agency. Generally when a player switches agent they are looking for a move or new contract. Given he got a new deal recently...

Anyways, the new agency has some pretty big name players
    https://www.transfermarkt.us/seg-spo...ma/berater/586
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I could see and understand Oso wanting to explore a move to Europe or maybe to a big club in South America. He is 28 and doesn't have much else to prove in MLS.
    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Someone pointed out on Twitter that Osorio switched agents which is often a precursor for a move. Let’s hope it’s not, I don’t need any more bad news this off-season.

Edit: looks like I’m late, lol
    I really hope that Osorio and his new agent are realistic about the type of league where he could have an impact and significant playing time.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil744 View Post
    @PsoccerCOM: Hearing  Paulo Sousa is in talks for the manager opening at Toronto FC of Major League Soccer. #TFC #TorontoFC #TFCLive #MLS https://twitter.com/PsoccerCOM/statu...189696/photo/1
    Who does he sound like....”Sousa was a hard-working, tactically intelligent and versatile player, who was effective both offensively and defensively, courtesy of his anticipation and ability to read the game, although he was not known for his speed. Although he was usually classified as a hard-tackling defensive midfielder, he also possessed excellent vision and control, and was often deployed as a deep-lying playmaker throughout his career due to his passing accuracy, technique and ability to control the tempo of his teams' play”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    Who does he sound like....”Sousa was a hard-working, tactically intelligent and versatile player, who was effective both offensively and defensively, courtesy of his anticipation and ability to read the game, although he was not known for his speed. Although he was usually classified as a hard-tackling defensive midfielder, he also possessed excellent vision and control, and was often deployed as a deep-lying playmaker throughout his career due to his passing accuracy, technique and ability to control the tempo of his teams' play”

Oh gawd - the "Fraser has a hope with a like minded coach now" articles are going to be legion from TFC media....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Oh gawd - the "Fraser has a hope with a like minded coach now" articles are going to be legion from TFC media....
    Hopefully followed by the despair articles about how TFC is throwing away their future after Fraser is traded to Vancouver for some TAM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps at this point his gameday performance is secondary to helping mold Akinola into the club's next big striker. Their style is very similar and I can see them forming a tandem for substitution purposes. That said, we'll have to see what new coach the FO chooses and see if they fit in his tactical style.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I guess technically we should be creating an "off season" thread now for this discussion?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I completely forgot there is an expansion draft next week.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I was all onboard with having Jozy back on a DP contract - knowing that he'll only play 1/3 of the season + playoffs. That scenario works well for me.

But as we've seen in the last 2 seasons - he's not delivering. Both in attendance and in production.

It was a gamble to keep him - obviously for optics it had to be done - we lost Gio and VV last year - to lose Jozy as well would've put stupid pressure on the FO and IMO - I don't think we make the MLS Cup finals with that kind of adversity hanging over the club.