Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His 2020 season has not been a selling point for Jozy...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've seen things like this before

Agent for team to Jozy's agent

"Hey, we might be interested"

Jozy's agent to Jozy

"Would you be interested?"

Jozy

"Well at the right price maybe"

Jozy's agent to team's agent

"Here's the price it would take"

Team's agent

"Hmm...maybe not then"

The difference between this and somebody saying they are willing to buy Messi is only in the price amount, not the willingness to move.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Bill, Ali and company have something else in mind would they consider letting Jozy go on a free transfer at this point if he could come to his personal terms with the said new team or would that be too much to stomach in their eyes?

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    We've seen things like this before

Agent for team to Jozy's agent

"Hey, we might be interested"

Jozy's agent to Jozy

"Would you be interested?"

Jozy

"Well at the right price maybe"

Jozy's agent to team's agent

"Here's the price it would take"

Team's agent

"Hmm...maybe not then"

The difference between this and somebody saying they are willing to buy Messi is only in the price amount, not the willingness to move.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    If Bill, Ali and company have something else in mind would they consider letting Jozy go on a free transfer at this point if he could come to his personal terms with the said new team or would that be too much to stomach in their eyes?
    The problem is less on our end and more on the buying side. I'm not privy to inside information but I find it staggeringly hard to believe (As in I'd sooner believe we're signing Lionel Messi) a La Liga team would come close to matching his wages with us given his injury record, age and track record in Europes elite leagues (Including La Liga). The only way he goes abroad, or anywhere, is if he takes a huge pay cut and at his age I don't know why he would

IF he would, though, we should absolutely let him go on a free. The benefit we'd get from offloading his salary and getting another DP at that wage point would be significant, more than any transfer fee which may only scupper the move anyway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know sometimes players get transferred and the new club isn't interested in the salary, so the selling club covers some of it. I know that would technically count on our cap though, wasting a DP slot if say a team was willing to pay him $4 million and we covered the other $2.3 million. However, maybe we could get that to count as our buyout so it wouldn't? MLS has weird rules so anything is possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Jozy is critically important to the club. They don’t have a replacement. Let him go on a free? No way, it’s about getting and keeping him fit.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Jozy is critically important to the club. They don’t have a replacement. Let him go on a free? No way, it’s about getting and keeping him fit.
    We would still be doing fine without his 2 goals this year in my opinion. Money can be spent better on another player to play up top and actually has the ability to stay fit and play most games. He struggled with fitness regularly in his career and now it seems much worse. I don't think he is critical to the club because the word critical would imply they can't succeed without him. Are we not currently in 1st place overall without him for most of the season? If he was fully fit and stayed that way sure he could be integral to the attack on the team....but most know that is and will not be the case anymore. I respect what he has done in the past for us but we have to look to the future. We need someone with production and durability like Pozuelo in his DP spot. That is my wish anyway. I know it may not be everyone's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yes Jozy so critical so important this season. The guy has more cautions than he has goals. Man you really make me laugh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find it hard to believe that any team would be seriously interested in Jozy given his age, injuries and contract, but if TFC can find a taker then make that move asap and start the car

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love what Jozy has done for the club, and is a great guy, my concern really is when a season starts Jozy is never match fit, he is a professional and should always be in top condition, but rarely is. Why is that? Because we and management give him so much slack and excuses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand the concern but isn’t the practicality here that he’s rarely been on the field over the past two seasons and there probably isn’t too much more we really do to keep this guy healthy / interested?

He is an important figure in club history and we owe a lot of our success to Jozy. Moving him out isn’t meant to diminish that. It’s just for the good of the club.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 10-17-2020 at 09:35 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    I find it hard to believe that any team would be seriously interested in Jozy given his age, injuries and contract, but if TFC can find a taker then make that move asap and start the car

MLS teams that would do that right now?

Nashville
    Cinci
    Portland
    Chicago
    DCU
    Colorado
    RSL
    Houston
    + all 4 of the expansion teams

Not sure Jozy would go to some of those teams. But he will go to somebody in the next 2 seasons as he is unlikely to stay with TFC at the salary level he can expect.

Long term chess game here

In 2022, Poz turns 31 and IIRC, that's the last year of his contract. It is as likely as not that Poz leaves either after that contract or during the summer of 2022.

Before that season starts, the team needs to bring in the next DP to build this team around for 2023+.

Jozy will not be that guy. So, ultimately, we are talking about when Jozy goes, not if.

Think of it this way

3 years ago, we were all talking about Seba, Jozy, Victor & Michael. Now all 4 of those players are either deeply in or heading into the twilight of their careers.

We were not talking about Poz, Akinola, Piatti & Westberg.

In 2023, assuming we can get back to see games, I suspect we will be cheering on 2 new DPs, and a mostly different set of players.

The only 2 players I fully expect to still be with this team in 2023 are Delgado & Osorio - everything else is subject to change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think all of those teams would have space in their XI for Jozy, but not a single one would pay anything close to our wages. I'm not sure they'd even spend a DP slot on him. What's the ROI? He has less than zero resell value at that rate (You'd likely have to cover his wages if you ever wanted to move him on), he's a US international but (and this is unjust as he's an elite talent by US standards, but it is what it is) a pretty unpopular one so he's not drawing any extra bodies to your ground or eyes to your games on TV and his on field regular season return is 11.2 goals a season and declining and playing 50% of your minutes and declining? We were the only suckers on planet earth that would drop 6m a year on that kind of contract. The only way he moves on is if he agrees to a big (50%+) paycut and if I was him I certainly wouldn't
    Last edited by JoesphNdo; 10-17-2020 at 02:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nobody in mls will touch that contract,he has got another year left,its a buyout or a mid east club or some mid Europe league.he is a not even a 1 mil a yr player anymore,,i hope im wrong and scores 15 next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=OgtheDim;1924074]MLS teams that would do that right now?

Nashville
    Cinci
    Portland
    Chicago
    DCU
    Colorado
    RSL
    Houston
    + all 4 of the expansion teams

Not sure Jozy would go to some of those teams. But he will go to somebody in the next 2 seasons as he is unlikely to stay with TFC at the salary level he can expect.

So are you saying that all Bill Manning has to do is pick up the phone and call one of these teams and they would agree to take Jozy? Sorry don't believe that for one second or he would be long gone. Generally speaking players who are paid $3MM per goal don't generate a lot of demand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    We were the only suckers on planet earth that would drop 6m a year on that kind of contract. The only way he moves on is if he agrees to a big (50%+) paycut and if I was him I certainly wouldn't
    I'm glad I'm not the only soul on planet Earth who thinks exactly the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah we're stuck with him.

I said to move Jozy 2 years ago when these injuries/attitude issues first surfaced and was called out on this board. But that's the way it goes. Management was blind on this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Julian Dunn not eligible to play for us this season due to being sent on loan to the CPL? I remember seeing pictures of him back in training with TFC after the Island Games, but considering yesterday Mavinga, Zavaleta, Morrow were all out due to injury, the only defender on the bench was Laryea, no CB at all, which Dunn is. Vanney used to carry two CBs on the bench at times in Zavs and Ciman, so seems strange he wouldn't have Dunn there in case of another injury, unless maybe he can't. Does his loan at Valour technically go until Dec 31 potentially?

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    yeah we're stuck with him.

I said to move Jozy 2 years ago when these injuries/attitude issues first surfaced and was called out on this board. But that's the way it goes. Management was blind on this
    Well considering your username you might not have been given the credibility on the issue you deserve.
    That's all I'll say about that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is Zavaleta's injury? I hadn't heard about that. Too bad, he had a very decent game but then an immediate interruption due to injury, hard to get into the flow of things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    What is Zavaleta's injury? I hadn't heard about that. Too bad, he had a very decent game but then an immediate interruption due to injury, hard to get into the flow of things.
    Not sure, but I had seen this tweet

Info came from here https://www.mlssoccer.com/injuries
    Last edited by rydermike; 10-19-2020 at 07:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i hope they try to bring another forward in...both jozy and ayo seem injury prone,i really dont want mullins to start playoff time,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hypothetical question here... If Jozy left and opened up a DP spot, what position does TFC use that spot on? A striker with Ayo still on the roster? Or do they go for another winger?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Hypothetical question here... If Jozy left and opened up a DP spot, what position does TFC use that spot on? A striker with Ayo still on the roster? Or do they go for another winger?
    I could see them go after a winger if they feel Achara can stay healthy. However, I feel like Achara could be another Altidore. Very productive when healthy, but often not healthy. He had injury issues in college.
    Last edited by rydermike; 10-20-2020 at 10:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we need another big name, DP striker. For the club, for the city, for winning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Bring me Kevin De Bruyne we will figure out who does what after the trophies are in the case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    I think we need another big name, DP striker. For the club, for the city, for winning.
    I agree. The TFC fan base is hardcore but small, and Toronto has shown itself to be a fickle sports town that only supports teams that are trendy at the moment, like the Raptors are now, with maybe the Leafs the exception. In order to fill BMO Field again the club needs another Giovenco type signing and it probably needs to be another striker. I think the next DP will probably be someone that creates a buzz around the team and sells tickets.
    Last edited by NK Toronto; 10-20-2020 at 11:34 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even with a healthy Achara plus Akinola & Mullins I think we need another legit forward. As we've seen it only takes a couple injuries to leave us super thin and as long as we have Jozy he will count as one of the injured ones more often than not. A versatile forward who is capable of going out wide or dropping into midfield would be a bonus though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm struggling to write Achara into the lineup for next season. We saw him for one game and he was great, but the league hasn't had the chance to scout him or force him into his flaws. I'm not going to act like I have a deep understanding of his game, but I think there's got to be a few reasons he was the 25th pick in the draft. I'm comfortable having him as the 5th option. Jozy/new DP, Akinola, Mullins/Replacement, depth piece, and then Achara/Perruzza.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Even with a healthy Achara plus Akinola & Mullins I think we need another legit forward. As we've seen it only takes a couple injuries to leave us super thin and as long as we have Jozy he will count as one of the injured ones more often than not. A versatile forward who is capable of going out wide or dropping into midfield would be a bonus though.
    So, basically you want Antoine Griezmann? Haha.