Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Signing him doesn’t 100% mean he is staying. He remains a trade asset, a transfer asset. Just something to remember.
    Yeah, I could definitely see a “flip” happening here.

I’m the interim, while transfer markets are frozen he sees some benefit and TFC takes a smallish transfer fee later.

Given what we saw earlier this year I think it’s fair to say Fraser is not though of as a rotation player (in the eyes of management). We pushed Osorio into the DM role rather than give Fraser minutes. Maybe that changes later but for now it seems pretty damn clear.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 05-01-2020 at 10:18 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Signing Delgado is interesting. I really like it. It is a great message for the room. They are taking care of a core guy here, making sure he isn’t unsettled.

I assume the price to sign him was lower than it would have been in February, when Marky went public. I wouldn’t blame Marky if he suddenly felt differently about the attractions of being an FA in November...

This is a ballsy move that only a deep pocketed owner can make. There is massive uncertainty about so many things, not least of which is the cap.
    Last edited by ensco; 05-01-2020 at 11:54 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Given what we saw earlier this year I think it’s fair to say Fraser is not though of as a rotation player (in the eyes of management). We pushed Osorio into the DM role rather than give Fraser minutes. Maybe that changes later but for now it seems pretty damn clear.
    Both Osorio and Delgado are better than Fraser at this point and Osorio looked really good at DM so far. At the moment we're in win everything mode and you don't win everything with guys who are unproven. Sadly, when in win now mode the young developing players usually don't get a shot but that's just how it goes. Happens the same all over the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good for Marky...he's grown as a player every year he's been here and is solid on the pitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Both Osorio and Delgado are better than Fraser at this point and Osorio looked really good at DM so far. At the moment we're in win everything mode and you don't win everything with guys who are unproven. Sadly, when in win now mode the young developing players usually don't get a shot but that's just how it goes. Happens the same all over the world.
    No argument there.

I worry how young players look at this longer term but let’s not go down that rabbit hole. If he kicks down the door and makes his most of the time on the field, kind of makes that story a moot point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Yeah, I could definitely see a “flip” happening here.

I’m the interim, while transfer markets are frozen he sees some benefit and TFC takes a smallish transfer fee later.

There’s no way they signed Delgado to trade him. The higher contract number makes him harder to move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    But now I would hope the club realizes it's imperative to send Frasier out on loan somewhere.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In January, its was a player's & seller's market.

Going to be the opposite in August. There will be lots of decent players available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza_55 View Post
    There’s no way they signed Delgado to trade him. The higher contract number makes him harder to move.
    Not trade, transfer. He’s only harder to move if he signed for above market value. From everything we’ve heard, that’s unlikely the case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    But now I would hope the club realizes it's imperative to send Frasier out on loan somewhere.
    It’s on Fraser and his agent to find teams willing to offer him playing time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noimpactinmtl View Post
    It’s on Fraser and his agent to find teams willing to offer him playing time.
    I have more confidence in Fraser than some others posting in this thread and completely agreed he needs more playing time.

Unfortunately, going out on loan seems like a death sentence for TFC players. Have there been any TFC players sent out on loan that subsequently returned to play for TFC?
    Last edited by JustSaying; 05-02-2020 at 04:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JustSaying View Post
    I have more confidence in Fraser than some others posting in this thread and completely agreed he needs more playing time.

Unfortunately, going out on loan seems like a death sentence for TFC players. Have there been any TFC players sent out on loan that subsequently returned to play for TFC?
    Did Cesar come back from the Brazil national team?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Did Cesar come back from the Brazil national team?
    Nope

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you think locking up Marky during this Covid time was a prelude to re-signing VV? So they knew exactly how much they'd have left to work with?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JustSaying View Post
    Jordan Hamilton went on loan to Portugal in 2014. He made 65 appearances for us after - though never could grab a firm role

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as I've seen, it's a very common phenomenon worldwide for players to go out on loan and never play (again) for their official clubs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    As far as I've seen, it's a very common phenomenon worldwide for players to go out on loan and never play (again) for their official clubs.
    This. Loans are really done for only one of two reasons:
    1) Essentially a tryout. A loan with a purchase option if the team liked him.
    2) Young players to get more playing time get loaned to a lower division team/lower ranked team.

Also the third option which happens sometimes
    3) Player with big contract who's out of favour, gets loaned to another team who picks up a portion of the salary. (ie. Player X makes $10 Million and no team is willing to pay him that on a transfer so his team loans him to Team Y. Team Y might pay him say $3M, while original team pays the other $7. Just saves them a little bit of money.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Option 3 happened to Jozy twice in Europe. I believe his stint at Hull was also an Option 1 (tryout with option to purchase)
    Last edited by ensco; 05-03-2020 at 03:52 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Option 4 is far more common pre tournament. Players looking for playing time to ensure a spot on the national team. Cesar came to Toronto because he needed game time for the World Cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy to the Netherlands ?? Discuss ....

fact or fiction, understatement or hyperbole ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cincy View Post
    Jozy to the Netherlands ?? Discuss ....

fact or fiction, understatement or hyperbole ?
    What's this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My immediate reaction is: What the fuck is wrong with this guy? Like, I'm asking in a real, actual, sense. WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH HIM.

But I realize it's possible, based on how he's quoted in the article, that the question could've been like, "If you weren't in Toronto right now, where do you see yourself playing?". And then sure, that answer would be relatively appropriate and fine. Though he says he was in contact with Feyenoord? I love Ali Curtis's reaction:

“No club from the Netherlands contacted me regarding Jozy last year,” Curtis told the Toronto Sun. “It would be strange as well, given we agreed on a new long-term contract last year.”

But you know what Jozy? At this point, if you want to leave, just leave. All this nonsense is getting pretty tiresome.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    My immediate reaction is: What the fuck is wrong with this guy? Like, I'm asking in a real, actual, sense. WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH HIM.

But I realize it's possible, based on how he's quoted in the article, that the question could've been like, "If you weren't in Toronto right now, where do you see yourself playing?". And then sure, that answer would be relatively appropriate and fine. Though he says he was in contact with Feyenoord? I love Ali Curtis's reaction:

“No club from the Netherlands contacted me regarding Jozy last year,” Curtis told the Toronto Sun. “It would be strange as well, given we agreed on a new long-term contract last year.”

But you know what Jozy? At this point, if you want to leave, just leave. All this nonsense is getting pretty tiresome.
    I agree. If he does in fact want to leave then just leave and stop telling the fans in TO that he plans to be here until retirement.

I will say though, my family has had first hand experience when the news did a story on my wife's illness, that the media can put a spin on a story by taking things out of context and telling a different story using the quotes from a conversation to make something seem like something else so I take everything with a grain of salt until hearing it directly from the player or the club.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Altidore

Is Altidore "Soccer Bi-Polar"?

One day he loves the City forever.....the next day he wants to finish his playing days in the Netherlands

One day he loves the team....the next day he drops another bomb on the front office

For a guy who averages a handful of games a year due to constant injuries - and gets his millions - might be a good idea to put a lid on it

Especially right now!
    Loyal - Win, lose or draw!

Weston, Ontario

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every single player in MLS wants to play or play again in Europe under the right circumstances - Jozy is no exception to that. Don't think he is going back but got no issue with him talking about it.

Guys speaks his mind, and isn't guarded. That's Jozy. Jozy is going to Jozy and I kinda like it, to be honest.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love Jozy.

This is him.

All of it

One day, talks to Vice about how great Europe would be again (and if you think any MLS player wouldn't take a job in Europe "under the right circumstances", you are not listening to them - they all think they can play there).

Next day does tweets about supporting local TO essential workers.

Jozy is Jozy and you just gotta go with the flow on all this.

He is a one of a kind - we all will miss him after he retires.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tempest. teacup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love Jozy, but he is too injury prone. If there's a deal for him in Europe. I'd take it and run. Sign Vazquez and a healthy DP striker instead

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Somebody ask Marky Delgado about where in Europe he'd like to play - you might not get an answer publicly, but he will have one privately (Spain, I suspect).