Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I think he'll move to MTL and be a part of the Impact following his career

Not with the way Saputo broke his word on paying for Ciman's daughter's therapy. We're better in that regard, since Ciman hasn't let out a peep regarding how we treated his daughter. I could see him working for Toronto remotely in Montreal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So this isn't team roster stuff, but ...

Vanney still hasn't re-upped yet. They were talking weeks ago about how 'it just needed to be signed,' and yet something is obviously not right.

There's some speculation that he might be interested in the LA Galaxy job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I noticed that too. Seems odd that it’s not done at this point.

As a side note:

There is a decent chance other teams make bids for our players in the off season. Hope we’re ready.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kristian Jack indicated during the broadcast on Sunday it was all but signed and would get done this week. No news might be issues or they are waiting for the right day to announce it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So here are our players worth at least 1 million Euros, from transfermarkt:

Player Date of birth / Age Market value
    Sep 20, 1991 (29)
    21 Jun 12, 1992 (28)
    17 Nov 6, 1989 (31)
    20 Jan 20, 2000 (20)
    Jan 7, 1995 (25)
    7 Mar 31, 1989 (31)
    Oct 11, 1988 (32)
    4 Jul 31, 1987 (33)
    May 26, 1991 (29)
    8 May 16, 1995 (25)
    27 Feb 13, 1998 (22)

Fun thing: they are exactly 11 guys.
    So who's gonna play goalkeeper (I guess the answer is obvious).
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 11-15-2020 at 02:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crazy that Delgado is still only 25.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS ZONE @mls_zone

Brazilian attacker Hulk has received an offer from an unnamed MLS team. He has played his last regular season game for Chinese club Shanghai SIPG and can join his new team on a free transfer in January. He is 34-years-old and is valued at $5.5 million. (Globe Esporte)
    #MLS

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No thanks but if the Impact want to waste the Cheese Man's money, who are we to complain...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hulk is such an LA Galaxy type player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Hulk is such an LA Galaxy type player.
    That man divorsed his wife of 12 years and then married her neice 3 months later! Character for the LA room.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaceyWinger View Post
    That man divorsed his wife of 12 years and then married her neice 3 months later! Character for the LA room.
    That would make for some interesting family dinners lol

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I noticed that too. Seems odd that it’s not done at this point.

As a side note:

There is a decent chance other teams make bids for our players in the off season. Hope we’re ready.

What does this mean exactly? Osorio for instance - he's worth 6m on the transfer market - but his salary is nowhere near that. How can a team profit that much (5.5million?) of him?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    What does this mean exactly? Osorio for instance - he's worth 6m on the transfer market - but his salary is nowhere near that. How can a team profit that much (5.5million?) of him?
    Transfermarkt is not an official site. The "transfer values" are estimates based on calculations. Basically, it's saying what they think their projected transfer fee would be if a team wanted to buy Osorio from us.

In terms of how "they profit that much off him" given his salary is lower, think of it like a house. You may pay $1 million for a house, but that house isn't worth a million every single year to you. Rather the million is the long term value you're paying for. So the transfer fees are higher than salary to compensate for both the current as well as future value if TFC were to sell him.
    Last edited by rydermike; 11-17-2020 at 10:18 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Thanks, I think that’s a good summary.

If I could add: practically, the implication is if you have someone on a low contract with a high market value, other teams are incentivized to bid. The player is interested cause it has the potential to increase their wages (contracts are usually renegotiated with transfer).

Now as a club, you could do nothing and tell the player to be quiet. But.... that’s not always the right approach as the player can get disgruntled. Maybe their level of play drops or they become a distraction in the locker room in an extreme scenario. Also, if the bid is for good value you might get more benefit from selling. Finally, you might just renegotiate your player’s contract, make them happy and quash any transfer buzz.

I think the most obvious name to watch out for is Laryea. He renegotiated his deal but he’s still likely on peanuts vs. his true value. Otherwise, Pozuelo and Oso are two names that might garner some consideration.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Transfermarkt is not an official site.
    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    ^ Thanks, I think that’s a good summary.

Thanks for the summary. I figured as much. Just seems like some of these valuations are high. I feel like a team would pay something like $1.5 for a guy like Oso.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One other thing to note is the term left on a player's contract. The more years a player has on the contract the higher the fee usually is, because a team is less incentivized to sell because they have that control. For example, Luis Suarez had one year left on his contract, so his transfer fee was only $7 million to join Atletico from Barca. Oso signed a long term deal, which ups the cost to acquire him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is the kind of flair MLS is missing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hulk: if I can upgrade my old car for the newer model, why can't I do the same with my wife.

Hulk: "Kids call her mom" "That's not mom" "The DNA is almost the same, so it's basically mom"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is great. Now if he can roundly suck too the cycle will be compete. So much material here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kuku View Post
    MLS ZONE @mls_zone

Brazilian attacker Hulk has received an offer from an unnamed MLS team. He has played his last regular season game for Chinese club Shanghai SIPG and can join his new team on a free transfer in January. He is 34-years-old and is valued at $5.5 million. (Globe Esporte)
    #MLS
    No thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well this may explain a bit about Pozuelo's performance last game:
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/...ing-again-2021

Then there's this:
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/...ure-tom-bogert

Is there any possibility that Piatti could come back as a Max TAM player next season, opening up the slot for a Young DP, assuming TFC can't move Jozy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Well this may explain a bit about Pozuelo's performance last game:
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/...ing-again-2021

Then there's this:
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/...ure-tom-bogert

Is there any possibility that Piatti could come back as a Max TAM player next season, opening up the slot for a Young DP, assuming TFC can't move Jozy?
    I would not bring back Piatti, even as a TAM. We have too many older, and injury prone players on the team. We need to get younger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really want Piatti back as a DP. It is time to get younger and faster on the wings.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really want Piatti back as a DP. It is time to get younger and faster on the wings.
    Is he not making less than Victor did, not too worried about a million dollar salary.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Is he not making less than Victor did, not too worried about a million dollar salary.
    I am not sure of the exact figure, but Piatti this season definitely made in excess of 3 million dollars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not sure of the exact figure, but Piatti this season definitely made in excess of 3 million dollars.
    No its about $1.6MM. The issue with Piatti is not the salary but his health.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    No its about $1.6MM. The issue with Piatti is not the salary but his health.
    I found an article from the Sun saying Piatti's option is for 1.6 million next season. Can't pin down how much he made this season. Enough to make him a DP, for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have back Piatti just as a TAM player.
    He is good, but not good enough for a TFC DP, probably he would have been 3-4 years ago.

And talking about Victor, he had arguably more impact on the best TFC team ever (2017) than Piatti had on this year's team. Probably he is the most underrated player in TFC's history vs how much he was paid, and how cheap we got him. He was literally a 4th DP, IMO we would have never had that great season of 2017 without him.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Victor was a game changer, no doubt !

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    I would have back Piatti just as a TAM player.
    He is good, but not good enough for a TFC DP, probably he would have been 3-4 years ago.

And talking about Victor, he had arguably more impact on the best TFC team ever (2017) than Piatti had on this year's team. Probably he is the most underrated player in TFC's history vs how much he was paid, and how cheap we got him. He was literally a 4th DP, IMO we would have never had that great season of 2017 without him.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found an article from the Sun saying Piatti's option is for 1.6 million next season. Can't pin down how much he made this season. Enough to make him a DP, for sure.
    A designated player is anyone who makes above $612,500.
    Altidore, Pozuelo, Piatti, Bradley, Omar Gonzalez, Osorio, and Mavinga are all DP salaries.

The difference is the latter four were all bought down with TAM and GAM to below that threshold, so they didn't count as DPs.

From everything I've seen Bradley and Piatti make similar if not identical money. MLS is bringing in (has already?) in a new rule where the 3rd DP salary is capped at the max TAMable salary ($1.6M) unless they are under 23. Bradley I remember reading re-signed for the max TAM salary, while Piatti as third DP would be limited to that same salary as well.

I think there is something like $4 million in TAM, which you can buy down a TAM salary to about $150,000.
    Based on 2019 salaries:
    Bradley $1,600,000
    Omar Gonzalez $1,193,936
    Osorio $776,250
    Mavinga $663,333

To bring them all to the $150,000 amount would cost $3,633,519, so not enough to buy down Piatti, which is why he stayed as DP. There was also Gallardo who may no longer be TAM, assuming his transfer fee was fully covered last year, and Delgado (not sure how much his extension was for)
    Last edited by rydermike; 11-28-2020 at 12:57 PM.