Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would go with an out-and-out target man. Someone who can hold up the ball, be a point of reference in the box, and is good in the air or just outright scores garbage goals. If he has the speed to spring in behind that’s a bonus.

We assume Jozy does the traditional #9 stuff but that’s really not his style. He’s just as likely to pull wide and receive the ball as he is to bring in down in the middle. He often appears in pockets of space to create his own chance just outside of the 18.

And assuming he’s healthy and interested this is all great stuff but I argue if he’s not in the picture we could really benefit from a true #9. Especially now that we have decent wide attacking options.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 10-21-2020 at 03:43 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    So, basically you want Antoine Griezmann? Haha.
    I guess he would be acceptable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    I think there's got to be a few reasons he was the 25th pick in the draft.
    Injuries are why he fell. Eight games as a freshman, 11 as a sophomore, 21 as a junior, 15 as a senior. 24 game seasons. He missed basically 50% of the games in his 4 years with three major injuries. Then another injury his first year as a pro this year. That's why I call him Altidore 2.0. Dominant when healthy (he was a force in NCAA and 3 seasons in the PDL/USL League Two), but always injured.

Interesting tidbit, he played with Shaffelberg in the PDL and they finished as co-leading scorers for their team one season (they were also high school teammates a couple years prior to that).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about Andrej Kramaric, the Croatian International Striker with Hoffenheim in the Bundesliga?
    He had 12 goals in 19 games last season, and has 6 goals in 3 games this season. He is 29 years old and his contract runs for another 18 months. Not too old but he probably won't be getting a bigger payday when his current deal expires. You probably would have to pay a transfer fee to get him in January but maybe it wouldn't be so high.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Oh yes Jozy so critical so important this season. The guy has more cautions than he has goals. Man you really make me laugh.
    I have been off the boards but want to reply to this, because I fundamentally disagree.

We win the MLS Cup last year if he comes on at half time. That was a coaching decision, not fitness.

He is only 30, and when fit is an elite striker. The list of MLS clubs who thought they have an elite striker but didn't is long indeed; bringing a new one in is far from certain. Yes, we are doing well this season by grinding - but to win it all we need a Jozy level striker - and he is ours.

Go ahead and laugh, but the facts are indisputable. The list of genuine goal scorers in world soccer is very small, let alone in MLS. When you have one, you do everything to keep him.

If you follow English football, look at Leicester without Vardy, or Southampton without Ings. Totally different, and far weaker, teams. We have very good skill in Poz Piatti Oso Bradley and Richie, but we still need an elite striker. Jozy is the one we have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    I love what Jozy has done for the club, and is a great guy, my concern really is when a season starts Jozy is never match fit, he is a professional and should always be in top condition, but rarely is. Why is that? Because we and management give him so much slack and excuses.
    Go look at the highlights of our home opener. You will see Jozy fit and highly effective. That was when the season started. COVID and BLM have messed him up. Thats a different thing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, look at this kids.

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Injuries are why he fell. Eight games as a freshman, 11 as a sophomore, 21 as a junior, 15 as a senior. 24 game seasons. He missed basically 50% of the games in his 4 years with three major injuries. Then another injury his first year as a pro this year. That's why I call him Altidore 2.0. Dominant when healthy (he was a force in NCAA and 3 seasons in the PDL/USL League Two), but always injured.

Interesting tidbit, he played with Shaffelberg in the PDL and they finished as co-leading scorers for their team one season (they were also high school teammates a couple years prior to that).

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Go look at the highlights of our home opener. You will see Jozy fit and highly effective. That was when the season started. COVID and BLM have messed him up. Thats a different thing.
    you can add his feet and his hammy to that,jozy is a 40 to 50 % player these days,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    you can add his feet and his hammy to that,jozy is a 40 to 50 % player these days,
    Yes, thats true. But if we manage him right his contributions can be instrumental. He is running out of second chances though, I agree with that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Yep, look at this kids.

Brilliant find! Schaff +????

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Schaff with Achara on the far right. One of the other kids spent time with TFC academy, forget his name at this moment.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Achara is on the far right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Achara-Shaff relationship is great story. A Canadian kid from Nova Scotia and a kid from Nigeria both move to the US as teens, end up placing high school soccer at Berkshire together. Then a couple years later they both signed in the PDL with Black Rock FC. Then a couple years later they both end up at TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tall kid in the pink sweater is Mohamed Omar, he's at Notre Dame now. Not sure on the guy on the left.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With respect to your opinion, I agree to disagree:

1. Why would COVID mess up Jozy any more than it would mess up any other MLS player, on average (talking about players who had to stay once in carantine)?

2. It looks like for you it's the most normal thing in the world for a professional athlete paid millions, to get involved is some political stuff, and because this to not care any more about his job. If so, why don't you do this at your own job, hell, why doesn't everyone do this at their jobs, from which they are making a living? After all, all employers of the world would be happy to pay their wages, it would not matter to them if their employees do not care about their job for a week, for a month or even more, being "messed up" because of some political stuff.
    (Sorry for the sarcasm, but it's the same thing for a person paid 6 mil per year or paid just 60 K per year.)

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against pro athletes, celebrities voicing loudly their opinions to the whole world. That is their right, and they are for sure influencing the masses.
    But to not do their jobs like they are supposed to, because of this? That's a humongous NO for me!
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 10-22-2020 at 03:00 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    With respect to your opinion, I agree to disagree:

1. Why would COVID mess up Jozy any more than it would mess up any other MLS player, on average (talking about players who had to stay once in carantine)?

Because EVERYBODY is reacting differently to this.

If we havn't seen that some people we know are coping better then others, we havn't been listening carefully enough.

There is no "average" reaction to Covid when in it comes to mental health that we can expect people to get to. If anything expecting everybody to be the same "normal" is UNHEALTHY.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 10-22-2020 at 06:18 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

If we havn't seen that some people we know are coping better then others, we havn't been listening carefully enough.

There is no "average" reaction to Covid when in it comes to mental health that we can expect people to get to. If anything expecting everybody to be the same "normal" is UNHEALTHY.
    Fair enough, I can't argue with this.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

A true statement.

As a generalization introverts tend to do a lot better than extroverts in handling the social isolation part. The introverts I know appreciate having less social obligations. The extroverts I know are either going nuts or cheating on the guidelines. Jozy strikes me as a highly extroverted guy so it won't be easy for him.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 10-22-2020 at 08:24 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always find it interesting when people make excuses for Jozy. Only Jozy really knows why he does what he does and why he looks disinterested for most of the year in 2020 when it comes to regaining his fitness and contributing to the team. The thing is this is a pro sports environment. You get rated on your current production and mentality. If you can't produce or mentally handle what it takes to compete in the current environment then unfortunately you need to move on and so does the team. It is just the way it goes. The team is paying him millions and taking up a DP spot and he needs to produce at that level. In my opinion I think TFC have been overly generous with him hoping he will regain some of that old Jozy but that hope should be dwindling like it is for a lot of us now. We can reminisce about the old days and what he did for us and he deserves respect for that but that is all....in my opinion. I would like to see TFC move on from this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy is still a very effective player. No one can deny that. The problem is that fact that according to Kristian Jack on a broadcast a few weeks ago, Jozy has only been on the field for 44% of TFC's games since he signed his extension*.

* - I am paraphrasing here, going off memory. But it is similar to that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post

Messed him up because unlike the rest of the team he opted to not stay in shape while staying at home in Florida. From there everything went downhill on him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Messed him up because unlike the rest of the team he opted to not stay in shape while staying at home in Florida. From there everything went downhill on him.
    Exactly, The English Footballer (Wayne Rooney) scenario, come back from the off season fat, out of shape, and not match fit, look at players like Messi. Cristiano Ronaldo, always in shape, always match fit, always professional.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Schaff with Achara on the far right. One of the other kids spent time with TFC academy, forget his name at this moment.
    They look about 12 years old.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Exactly, The English Footballer (Wayne Rooney) scenario, come back from the off season fat, out of shape, and not match fit, look at players like Messi. Cristiano Ronaldo, always in shape, always match fit, always professional.
    and "Messed him up because unlike the rest of the team he opted to not stay in shape while staying at home in Florida. From there everything went downhill on him."

Yes, those are fair comments. Although there were border complications once he wasn't in Canada, but fair.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and "Messed him up because unlike the rest of the team he opted to not stay in shape while staying at home in Florida. From there everything went downhill on him."

Yes, those are fair comments. Although there were border complications once he wasn't in Canada, but fair.
    There were a ton of Tweets showing his wife training hard at home in their big gym during the lockdown and she looked great. I didn't see him in any of the videos and obviously he didn't share her commitment keeping in shape. This was also at the time when everyone was training at home so whether a player trained in a condo on Lakeshore or in their private gym in Florida, it shouldn't make any difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been off the boards but want to reply to this, because I fundamentally disagree.

We win the MLS Cup last year if he comes on at half time. That was a coaching decision, not fitness.

He is only 30, and when fit is an elite striker. The list of MLS clubs who thought they have an elite striker but didn't is long indeed; bringing a new one in is far from certain. Yes, we are doing well this season by grinding - but to win it all we need a Jozy level striker - and he is ours.

Go ahead and laugh, but the facts are indisputable. The list of genuine goal scorers in world soccer is very small, let alone in MLS. When you have one, you do everything to keep him.

If you follow English football, look at Leicester without Vardy, or Southampton without Ings. Totally different, and far weaker, teams. We have very good skill in Poz Piatti Oso Bradley and Richie, but we still need an elite striker. Jozy is the one we have.
    Listen man I don’t want to engage on this beyond this post. I feel like we are too far apart.

Just remember you’re talking about a guy who spends less than 50% of his time on the pitch and currently has more cautions than goals. Something that I don’t think a lot of people noticed is that Jozy was our captain with Michael out, but he was stripped of that duty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by El Diego View Post
    Tall kid in the pink sweater is Mohamed Omar, he's at Notre Dame now. Not sure on the guy on the left.
    Thanks. The guy on the left is wearing a "prefects" sweater, so the school must have considered him as a leader. Would be interesting to know where he ended up too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Listen man I don’t want to engage on this beyond this post. I feel like we are too far apart.

Just remember you’re talking about a guy who spends less than 50% of his time on the pitch and currently has more cautions than goals. Something that I don’t think a lot of people noticed is that Jozy was our captain with Michael out, but he was stripped of that duty.
    If it was just this year in isolation with other occasional hiccups I would understand it. But it’s just entirely on going.

There are examples too, of people impacted by today’s world who have made the most of it and soldiered on. Lebron didn’t let broader society or a shit-talking president stop his play or his advocacy. Of course he’s exceptional at what he does and not everyone is capable of that but to achieve a top level of performance you have to beat the odds sometimes.

I feel like Altidore lost some earlier, easier battles and now he needs this one but it’s just that much harder to bounce back

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by El Diego View Post
    Yep, Omar played for TFC Academy at the GA Cup.

https://und.com/roster/mohamed-omar/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The team needs a fit striker right now. A trade should be made. And at this point in the season, one of Nelson, Priso, Achara, Marshall-Rutty should be in play to make this trade imo. Gallardo should be dismissed immediately as he was the worst TAM signing in the history of this league. The absolute worst. I love Jozy, but for what you are paying him...he is no longer worth it anymore.