Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No one is talking about who didn't play tonight. We are talking about who played and just how well they did. That is the sure tell sign of a complete team performance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laryea has to be ahead of either Shaff or Gallardo on the org chart. That part I don’t entirely get.

Really, he is an MLS starter, ahead of Auro or whomever on a full strength squad. I don’t get his sub role at all. It's not a small sample - all he does is beat people 1v1
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Laryea has to be ahead of either Shaff or Gallardo on the org chart. That part I don’t entirely get.

Really, he is an MLS starter, ahead of Auro or whomever on a full strength squad. I don’t get his sub role at all. It's not a small sample - all he does is beat people 1v1
    Haha. Funny enough I thought to myself the exact thing at the game tonight. I was telling my son to watch they will pull Gallardo off and put Laryea on and then we will see some 1v1 challenges because all Gallardo was doing was taking the easy pass back. I really wanted to see him take defenders on but there was no threat until Laryea came on. I was about to come on here and comment about it and boom...first place I look there is your comment. I am not alone I guess.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Wanna mention Osorio. I have never been a big fan, but the way he has played these last two games has really impressed me. He is a better all around player than I gave him credit for.
    I thought the same thing today. I was telling people he doesn't get enough credit for all the little touches and plays he does because he really held things together tonight for us in the midfield. Nothing too flashy but just lots and lots of nice little plays.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another thing I noticed tonight is that Jozy was ready several times for a through ball that never came and had to stop his run. I kept thinking back to the Giovinco days because he fed them those all night long and why they were so dangerous together. He doesn't get as many of those balls now so not really playing to his strengths with respect to that. Now we seem to go wide majority of the time versus playing him through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TomLawrence View Post
    Thankfully Vanney only plays experienced players like Achara.
    A player who has proved himself in pre season at his position, Fraser has not proved himself as a replacement for Bradley and has only had 1 or 2 good games in the past 2 years,
    he is still not good enough to start, he is in my mind, the same as Chapman was, not very good at his position, but has some more time, who knows maybe Fraser is lazy in training much like Jordan Hamilton and does not deserve a start.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    he is still not good enough to start, he is in my mind, the same as Chapman was
    I told myself I would stop posting on this topic but, jesus christ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    What delay? I didn't notice anything in the stadium. I didn't check the time at kick-off, but they looked on schedule for 5:07 pm at around 5 pm.

The crowd was better than usual at 5 pm - I think a lot of people came earlier, because it's the first match, or with concern about the new ticketing system. The westbound GO arriving at 4:20 pm was standing room only - more crowded than usual (though I'm usually on the later train).

There was no virtually line-ups at the gates at 4:25. Seemed to be going smoothly at the gate. What was it like closer to 5 pm? Perhaps not the cluster-ford I feared.
    My stream didn't start until 15 mins after the hour, so I thought there might have been a delay.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Random thoughts the next day

Crowd was in preseason form. Cold weather game does that. Loud and engaged as usual but not quite on. Will be better next week.

NYC is a decent team but their attacking players are not all that interested in defence. Johnson was good last night but he's prone to a gaffe and I was just waiting for something.

NYC controlled the ball for a whole chunk of time and we were able to sit back and defend. NOBODY was going at our 2 CB's. It was all around the perimeter.

Westberg's distribution when hurried wasn't up to his usual standards BUT...the guy makes saves and he is very good with both feet.

Gallardo last year took LB's on when he played - this game, for some reason, he kept going back. I think that's coaching. But, he got injured so who knows when we'll see him again.

Laryea is a baller and effective at finding the spot to get crosses in.

Our interchanges across the top of the box are the best in the league right now - better then LAFC and I'd say equal to Atlanta when they have Martinez. We play a quality of attacking game that is worth the price of admission.

Achara prefers his right foot and comes in / back to make the pass. NYC didn't suss that out but other teams will. He will end up having to cross the ball with his left.

Poz tries so many things and they don't work that sometimes people get frustrated with him. Thing to remember - Pozuelo needs just 2 chances a game - he hit the corner of the posts with one and put in Laryea with the second. He did more then those 2 but he ALWAYS gets at least 2.

Pozuelo was coming back to defend more then he did against SJE.

Jozy occupies space and it takes time for people to wear down against him - both their CB's were on yellows by the end of the first half. Job done.

Morrow just might end up being one of those guys who can play decent LB until he's 36.

Auro must have a hand sweating problem because he ALWAYS wants a new ball to throw in - cost him a yellow last night. Also loses momentum for us.

Delgado's passing was more off then most but the man defends and creates fouls on himself - he was fouled more then anybody else last night. Going to miss him next season.

Agree with others on Osorio - he was the rock in the middle last night. Against that team, that midfield 3 was the better choice. I suspect Fraser will be in against Nashville, who are way less dynamic going forward and in defence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of takeaways from the game and they are certainly mostly positive (imo)

-Q's ability to play the ball out with both of his feet makes him a bit of a sweeper keeper of sorts/to a degree. It can be a bit nerve-wracking to watch but he gets it done

-Achara settling into the game as it went on, this kid is a beast and it'll be fun to watch him grow and mature.

-Our CB pairing feels "complete" for what I might say is the first time ever. Mavinga and Omar each have distinctive strengths that work well together.

-Was a bit concerned not having Bradley out there for the first month or two, but Delgado and Osorio have settled that for me (for now).

4 points from two games, so far so good.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TomLawrence View Post
    If the trade off is completely throwing tactics out the window and picking sides based on patience then yes I’ll keep singing it as that is a completely mental way to run a football club.

Fraser isn’t Kaye anyway. Nor is even Kaye good enough to be intentionally weakening your team for no reason every single game. That isn’t how you develop talent. Your logic would have us in last place with a line up of Fraser, Chapman and Hamilton.

Fraser has huge deficiencies in his game and is nowhere near good enough to play every game. Vanney has just started multiple young players today. Delgado has been a mainstay since he was several years younger than Fraser. Why? Because he showed he was good enough. Fraser hasn’t.
    One of the biggest deficiencies in Fraser's game is that his speed limits his field coverage.

I think he's starter quality based on his vision and passing skills when TFC has the ball but on the defensive side, particularly when the other team has a quick counter from a turnover, Fraser can't track back fast enough.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Random thoughts the next day

Laryea is a baller and effective at finding the spot to get crosses in.

Our interchanges across the top of the box are the best in the league right now - better then LAFC and I'd say equal to Atlanta when they have Martinez. We play a quality of attacking game that is worth the price of admission.

Achara prefers his right foot and comes in / back to make the pass. NYC didn't suss that out but other teams will. He will end up having to cross the ball with his left.

Poz tries so many things and they don't work that sometimes people get frustrated with him. Thing to remember - Pozuelo needs just 2 chances a game - he hit the corner of the posts with one and put in Laryea with the second. He did more then those 2 but he ALWAYS gets at least 2.

Pozuelo was coming back to defend more then he did against SJE.

Jozy occupies space and it takes time for people to wear down against him - both their CB's were on yellows by the end of the first half. Job done.
    Great observations, that is what i was referring to earlier in the year. There are so many options when you add someone beyond Jozy and Poz upfront (Same as Gio and Jozy... when we added Vasquez, everyone looked better). Jozy beats defenders up, it takes time and what we miss when he is injured.

I am hoping the Achara observation is only because no one has pressed him to his left (hoping he has one)... if he does we are going to be very difficult to keep off the board. Add even a reasonably healthy Piatti and look out.

Couldn’t get to the game but was really pissed at Caldwell’s color commentary, I thought someone should have called him out. We have been in 3 of the last 4 Finals.

He is TFC’s voice to the viewers (long term and newbies), the call was right on the penalty but the commentary could have been around the build up... your observation on the top of the box interchanges were bang on and yet Caldwell focused on... its coming back and later in the game saying we were average at best today. On the Osorio play, he was talking about how it should have been a yellow as opposed to “what a great job, tracking back”. His commentary was about how sliding through a player is a yellow... well where was that when Columbus took Jozy out last fall, Caldwell back then was saying “magnificent tackle” for the other team...wtf. It is almost as if he is deep down jealous at the team success. I thought Osorio was in excellent form.

It would have been easy for him to say ...”when these guys put into 3rd gear, we are going to be a fun team to watch.”

I am not looking for a shill but come on, the team has played two solid games, get the fan base interested in the team.

Edit - It seriously makes me want to shut of the sound, but there are no other feeds because he is on the radio as well

Other than that great start for the boys... put the foot to the floor on Nashville

COYRs
    Last edited by Bushmancan; 03-08-2020 at 10:11 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Westberg can't play the ball...holds it wayyyyyy too long and even when he has time his distribution is crap. I don't know if he hit anyone yesterday aside from fans on the side line.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love to see the continued dominance against NYCFC. With Martinez out for ATL, early days are starting to look good for us in the East this year.

Lots of positives from the game. Another good step forward from last week which still looked closer to preseason form. Was impressed that Achara was able to step into things so quickly. Had some great interplay with Pozuelo and some quick give and go's at one point and a real nose for the net. Went into the game hoping for Gallardo's coming out party but came out wanting an Achara jersey!

Morrow looked more stable than last week which was great, though I don't think we're going to see the same attacking level from him we had in 2017 and before. Not the best game from Auro.

Love what Delgado does for us but offense just dies on his foot. I don't think other teams mind him having the ball outside the box because they know he's never going to shoot or cross, just pass back to Auro.

Do we actually have wing depth now? Switched up both starters from last week and looked good. All without Piatti or Deleon yet.... but the injuries keep stacking up. Endoh too? Gallardo again? Somethings off if this many guys go down in pre-season.

Going to try watch Nashville Portland tonight to see what we can expect next week. Hoping for dominance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overall pretty pleased and for all those who may have looked off or some of the off plays, I’m going to give a pass on due to the cold. Can’t be easy for a guy like Gallardo to play his peak performance under those conditions. Hard to get a good feel for the ball when your feet are cold so I’m sure many opted for the safest options.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastend View Post
    Westberg can't play the ball...holds it wayyyyyy too long and even when he has time his distribution is crap. I don't know if he hit anyone yesterday aside from fans on the side line.
    Surly you jest, Westburg has great ball handling, what I like in particular is on a back pass far too many keepers in particular Bono don't or won't control the ball and just hoof it up field, Westburg controls the ball and passes so TFC keeps possession. Maybe it was a one off, I saw that Westburg played well. Perception I guess

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gonna have to politely disagree with you, slightly. Simply because he holds it in his feet longer doesn't mean he "can't play the ball". I'd say that's a sign of the opposite. That he feels comfortable and confident enough in his ability to handle the ball with both feet than other keepers.

Sure hitting the target in outfield players needs improvement, but that will come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    Great observations, that is what i was referring to earlier in the year. There are so many options when you add someone beyond Jozy and Poz upfront (Same as Gio and Jozy... when we added Vasquez, everyone looked better). Jozy beats defenders up, it takes time and what we miss when he is injured.

I am hoping the Achara observation is only because no one has pressed him to his left (hoping he has one)... if he does we are going to be very difficult to keep off the board. Add even a reasonably healthy Piatti and look out.

Couldn’t get to the game but was really pissed at Caldwell’s color commentary, I thought someone should have called him out. We have been in 3 of the last 4 Finals.

He is TFC’s voice to the viewers (long term and newbies), the call was right on the penalty but the commentary could have been around the build up... your observation on the top of the box interchanges were bang on and yet Caldwell focused on... its coming back and later in the game saying we were average at best today. On the Osorio play, he was talking about how it should have been a yellow as opposed to “what a great job, tracking back”. His commentary was about how sliding through a player is a yellow... well where was that when Columbus took Jozy out last fall, Caldwell back then was saying “magnificent tackle” for the other team...wtf. It is almost as if he is deep down jealous at the team success. I thought Osorio was in excellent form.

It would have been easy for him to say ...”when these guys put into 3rd gear, we are going to be a fun team to watch.”

I am not looking for a shill but come on, the team has played two solid games, get the fan base interested in the team.

Edit - It seriously makes me want to shut of the sound, but there are no other feeds because he is on the radio as well

Other than that great start for the boys... put the foot to the floor on Nashville

COYRs
    I agree, caldwell is good at two things, being negative and barely speaking english. I have no idea why he even has a job as a colour commentator, give his job to dunfield.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Westberg was man of the match. Made at least three big saves on serious chances.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Surly you jest, Westburg has great ball handling, what I like in particular is on a back pass far too many keepers in particular Bono don't or won't control the ball and just hoof it up field, Westburg controls the ball and passes so TFC keeps possession. Maybe it was a one off, I saw that Westburg played well. Perception I guess
    Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post
    Gonna have to politely disagree with you, slightly. Simply because he holds it in his feet longer doesn't mean he "can't play the ball". I'd say that's a sign of the opposite. That he feels comfortable and confident enough in his ability to handle the ball with both feet than other keepers.

Sure hitting the target in outfield players needs improvement, but that will come.
    Yeah, not convinced, and it wasn't just yesterday. He holds it way too long and gets so close to getting caught. Teams are figuring it out, like NYC yesterday when they continuously pressured him and he had to kick it away often.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He kicked it out of touch twice - not his best day.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So-so game, but I still can't decide who is worse to listen to:
    Caldwell's 'grumpy Scotsman' or Rauter's 'folksy bonspieler'?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the funniest thing I have ever read on here. Westberg greatest attribute is his distribution of the ball. This is why he is our first choice keeper. Perhaps you had too many of these

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, not convinced, and it wasn't just yesterday. He holds it way too long and gets so close to getting caught. Teams are figuring it out, like NYC yesterday when they continuously pressured him and he had to kick it away often.
    That’s often intentional. The players who press move in and if the next wave isn’t fast enough Westberg just bought his teammates that much more time with the ball.

He’ll get caught some day, for certain. However, doesn’t mean we should stop.

Keepers playing the ball at their feet and skirting danger is increasingly a part of the game. We’re way ahead of many of the other teams in MLS who’s keeper reflexively put it into midfield and wouldn’t dare make a short pass under the slightest whif of pressure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He holds it too long, yes. Vanney has to work that out of him. But his distribution is superb. Last year I heard him yell “Jay” and play a ball right to Chapman - 50 yards away. That’s what he is like more often than not, in fact usually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just 3 observations after this match:

- I am very happy for Achara, at this point he looks like a great, great, great pickup, and at the same time making the TFC braintrust being a genius for this choice at the draft....
    - so far Gallardo looks like a bust to me, I hope I am very wrong
    - Richie should be a STARTER on this team. Why the hell is this not obvious yet for almost anyone???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want some of what you're smoking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boozilla View Post
    So-so game, but I still can't decide who is worse to listen to:
    Caldwell's 'grumpy Scotsman' or Rauter's 'folksy bonspieler'?
    Someone on here linked to a SkySport stream. The announcers were amazing. They had great MLS and TFC knowledge as well. The games are soooooo much more enjoyable when you don't have to listen to Caldwell or Rauter.