Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Other MLS Games This Weekend - Saturday Feb 29 & Sunday March 1st 2020

And so it begins, for other teams as well. If I have questions or reasons to watch the game, they'll get mentionned. But, with so many unknowns, there are a lot of games out there.

Saturday

Colorado @ DCU 1pm - Colorado is going to play a high pressing game while DCU is going to sit back and counter. The team with less possession is going to win this game Why watch this game? Drew Moor & Benezet memories + Ole Kamara in a 4-2-3-1 might be a 20 goal scorer this year

New England @ Montreal 3pm - NER goes to the only pitch in the league worse than theirs - the concrete of Olympic stadium. Lots of people have NER as a dark horse in the East. If so, this is the sort of game they have to win. The question in this game? Well Henry stick with the turtle defensiveness

LAGalaxy @ Houston 3:30pm - Galaxy has all that attack - is the defence better? Houston with a new coach but do they have the midfield to hold up against LAG?

Philly @ FCD 6:30pm - Philly has supposedly gained some midfield steel this offseason. FCD is back to being a youth driven team and are the hipster dark horse in the West.

RSL @ Orlando 6pm - RSL somehow kept chugging along last year and finished 6th in the Supporters Shield table. Orlando has yet to make the playoffs. Pundits saying that will reverse this year, with Orlando making a big move into playoff contention with Pareja as their coach.

Atlanta @ Nashville 8pm - Atlanta is in the dreaded CCL post-game period but Nashville is a big work in progress. The spine of Nashville is pretty good so unlikly to be a rout. Why watch this game? Supposed to be 50K coming out and nobody has a clue how they are going to behave

SKC @ Vancouver 10:30pm - Last year at this time, a LOT of pundits were calling on SKC to win the West. A tad off those predictions. Vancouver admits to be in year 2 of a 4 year project.

Sunday

NYCFC @ Columbus 12:30pm - GAME TO WATCH THIS WEEKEND APART FROM OURS Weird start time. Columbus is significantly improved on offence but defence might still have some issues. NYC is in the dreaded CCL post-game period and might be just putting this one off. BUT, their youngsters are hungry to show the Man City bosses their worth. We play NYC next week & Columbus for our 5th game. The NYC team we see will not look like this one at all.

Cincinnati @ NYRB 1pm - Cinci in transition more then turmoil but still not good to fire the coach that close to opening day. NYRB has turned over half its starters. Two teams we play in the first 6 games of the season.

Chicago @ Seattle 3pm - Seattle coming off the bad CCL PK loss to a team they should have put away. Fire are not sure who they are yet as a roster, let alone as a team.

Miami @ LAFC 5:30pm - Miami brings a lot of vets & youth looking to succeed up against a team coming down off of what might have been their highest moment as a club. This has the makings of 70 minutes of upset followed by 20 minutes of return to norm.

Minnesotta @ Portland 7:30pm - All you need to know about this game is its been dubbed - The Flannel Derby
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 02-29-2020 at 11:48 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice one OG good summary.
    Always look forward to this part of the weekend trying to better the bookies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for doing these write-ups again.

RPB Member
    Membership Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah... I missed these little summaries!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, people. Redcoat was doing this before me and deserves the credit for the idea of educating ourselves about our opponents.

A reminder that all games not shown on TSN are found on DAZN. TSN direct is like watching it on TV - no playback/pause etc. DAZN has all that, with the added bonus of getting the broad range of MLS commentators including occasionall the SKY people (calling it from a studio in England).

https://www.tsn.ca/mls-on-tsn-schedule-1.962000

As usual, lots of grey market streams out there for those choosing to do so.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Thanks, people. Redcoat was doing this before me and deserves the credit for the idea of educating ourselves about our opponents.

A reminder that all games not shown on TSN are found on DAZN. TSN direct is like watching it on TV - no playback/pause etc. DAZN has all that, with the added bonus of getting the broad range of MLS commentators including occasionall the SKY people (calling it from a studio in England).

https://www.tsn.ca/mls-on-tsn-schedule-1.962000

As usual, lots of grey market streams out there for those choosing to do so.
    No credit for me?

I enjoy reading your write ups too, considering I don't have the time to follow the league as closely as I used to.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Flannel Derby
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    No credit for me?

I enjoy reading your write ups too, considering I don't have the time to follow the league as closely as I used to.
    "Thanks for adding reputation to this user. May you be lucky enough to receive the same Reputation back in turn"

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Houston sold out for Chicarito & the home opener. Do not underestimate how many Mexican will show up just for him. When we host LAG in April, I expect a 25K+ crowd with a LOT of Mexican flags.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Houston sold out for Chicarito & the home opener. Do not underestimate how many Mexican will show up just for him. When we host LAG in April, I expect a 25K+ crowd with a LOT of Mexican flags.
    Yep. I expect a nice Mexican following for Pizarro when Miami travels as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drew Moor starts for Colorado in the season opener. Benezet is out after breaking his nose in a preseason friendly, tough luck.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love those red shorts on DCU.

Nice to see Irwin and Moor.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A nice eastern conference loss for DCU at home, always good for East contenders to lose home games to Western opponents....every little bit helps our guys!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought that Audi field was grass ,seeing football lines on artificial turf is just crap.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by levyashin View Post
    I thought that Audi field was grass ,seeing football lines on artificial turf is just crap.
    It is grass.

They will be replacing it in about a month after the XFL game - they went cheap and decided not to wash the lines off. The league told them they had to replace the XFL logo, thus the cricket pitch in the middle.

Looked awful and bounced quite a bit - a lot like our pitches in 2017 & 2018.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is grass.

They will be replacing it in about a month after the XFL game - they went cheap and decided not to wash the lines off. The league told them they had to replace the XFL logo, thus the cricket pitch in the middle.

Looked awful and bounced quite a bit - a lot like our pitches in 2017 & 2018.
    Impact looking awfully undisciplined and freelancing early against New England. I wonder if Henry will be like Mo and other former striker coaches, who believe tactics are no substitute for guys doing whatever the fuck they want.

Sure hope so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ha! Good timing on my part. They immediately score.

EDIT: I hate that stupid fucking bell so much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Impact looking awfully undisciplined and freelancing early against New England. I wonder if Henry will be like Mo and other former striker coaches, who believe tactics are no substitute for guys doing whatever the fuck they want.

Sure hope so.
    You watching the same game I’m watching? Please do not use Henry with that clueless joke of a coach Mo in the same sentence lol, Impact have out possessed New England so far, it’s not even close.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    You watching the same game I’m watching? Please do not use Henry with that clueless joke of a coach Mo in the same sentence lol, Impact have out possessed New England so far, it’s not even close.
    They had five bad minutes at the start and have controlled pretty much since. Neither side looks like much, though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Henry has waaaay more of a tactical mind then MoJo. Could see that against Saprissa.

That carpet though is an abomination- only thing worse then NER's monstrosity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pavon is gonna put up Giovinco Esq numbers this year imo

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal with a very CONCACAFy win over NER. Rapids kinda did the same over DCU. 2 works in progress getting results early.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Pavon is gonna put up Giovinco Esq numbers this year imo
    Great strike.

https://youtu.be/FqmHodpSFYY

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Orlando supporters with the most serious shade I've seen in an MLS TIFO since our bad old days

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then there is this one......

Sometimes, you just have to admire stuff even when its Montreal.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Philly losing and Blake looked bad on both goals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by benito; 02-29-2020 at 09:04 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Nashville is slower then we were in 2018, all their players have only one trick (apart from Zimmerman), prefers to sit back, doesn't execute the low block well at all, can't counter, has no idea of urgency, & can't press. If they play like that against us, we are going to murder them in 2 weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by benito View Post
    You are joking, right? Impossible to see that in the shadow.