Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    Although I don't agree with it either, it seems like MLS is doing it on purpose so they can negotiate a much better TV deal when the contract runs out at end of 2022.
    Same reason the NHL expanded, your reasoning makes sense. The TV profits will be in SUM too, not the league, so the league can continue to "lose money" for tax purposes, giving these billionaires and corporations tax write-offs.
    "Of all the things in life that don't actually matter, football matters the most." - Stuart McKeown

Supporting since 2007

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is fun. Here is how I would go... I would do Phoenix instead of Charlotte though.

Top two in each conference make playoffs:

Metroliner Division
    DC United
    New England Revs
    New York FC
    NY Red Bulls
    Philadelphia

Fried Green Tomatoes Division
    Atlanta
    Orlando
    Miami
    Nashville
    Cincinnati

Bratwurst and Beer Division
    Columbus
    SKC
    St. Louis
    Chicago
    Minnesota

Cowboy Division
    Colorado
    RSL
    Austin
    Dallas
    Houston

“We Hate Trump” Division
    Portland
    Seattle
    Vancouver
    Montreal
    Toronto

California Division
    Sacramento
    San Jose
    LAFC
    LA Galaxy
    [Phoenix]

(Toronto and Montreal are a problem in all these setups btw, nobody will want us in their division....)
    Last edited by ensco; 12-03-2019 at 03:28 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB 2019
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the "Canadian teams don't draw" idea is a little more muted in a league where attendance has little to do with which team is playing which.

When they go to 2 conferences with 2 divisions, we will be in the East.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two Conferences with two Divisions each only works in a 28-team league for a 34 game schedule. I'm imagining they're going to go two Conferences of either 3 or 4 divisions each, which is what most Americans are used to.
    Last edited by Initial B; Yesterday at 07:52 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they stop at 30 teams, I see 3 divisions of 10. If they go to 32 teams, I see 4 divisions of 8.

In both instances they could play home/away games against their division and one game against the non-division teams for 38 games in total. 38 games would bring the MLS in line with many euro leagues (Premier League, Serie A, La Liga, Ligue1).

30 teams = 18 division games and 20 non-division games
    32 teams = 14 division games and 24 non-division games

But this calculation doesn't factor in length of playoffs which could add quite a few games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assuming MLS will always have playoffs I don't think they have time to play more than 34 regular season games, and I don't know how they would seed the playoffs with 3 conferences in a way that makes sense.

I'd expect a West and an East conference with each having 3 or 4 divisions depending on the total number of teams

RPB 2019
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Home opener schedule released - https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/...n-kicks-feb-29

TFC opens at SJE Feb 29 with home opener March 7 - 5 pm vs NYCFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sidvan View Post
    Home opener schedule released - https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/...n-kicks-feb-29

TFC opens at SJE Feb 29 with home opener March 7 - 5 pm vs NYCFC
    I wish this game was in the afternoon where there was at least some sun (if it's out).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The early season schedule always has some surprises. You would think the warm climate/domed stadium teams would host the first couple of weeks games. And the early season cold weather matches would be hosted during the day rather than evening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auro got some Toronto and Canada tattoos. Guess he wants to be here for years
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B5s-Va2hcYc/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by benito View Post
    If they stop at 30 teams, I see 3 divisions of 10. If they go to 32 teams, I see 4 divisions of 8.

In both instances they could play home/away games against their division and one game against the non-division teams for 38 games in total. 38 games would bring the MLS in line with many euro leagues (Premier League, Serie A, La Liga, Ligue1).

30 teams = 18 division games and 20 non-division games
    32 teams = 14 division games and 24 non-division games

But this calculation doesn't factor in length of playoffs which could add quite a few games.
    I think they'll go to 36 teams. Two conferences of 18 each. 34 game schedule, play each team in the conference twice, home-and-away. Playoffs within each conference, then MLS Cup is two conf. winners.

It would be elegant.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are going to 40 teams, with a game-ified version of pro/rel within the structure. Sort of like the Liguilla. Could be merged into the Liguilla, actually.

Just my 2 cents. I know nothing, but there are still 10 people in 10 cities willing to pay.

When the ducks are quacking, feed them corn.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB 2019 Treasurer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    They are going to 40 teams, with a game-ified version of pro/rel within the structure. Sort of like the Liguilla. Could be merged into the Liguilla, actually.

Just my 2 cents. I know nothing, but there are still 10 people in 10 cities willing to pay.

When the ducks are quacking, feed them corn.
    The only liguilla I know is the Mexican 8 team playoffs. What do you mean?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am thinking something like this:

40 teams with some sort of apertura/clausura and liguilla system by conference. Two qualifiers from each conference in each liguilla. At the end of the season is the grand tourney with the 8 teams that emerge from the liguillas.

I think they want and will have a super liguilla with top Mexican teams too. But somebody needs to change their calendar to do that.