Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weird lineup. Basically 5 attackers starting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Achara Has scored again.

Since we can’t see any of this I am going to draw the obvious conclusion Achara is the best MLS goal scorer since Robbie Keane.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Achara Has scored again.

Since we can’t see any of this I am going to draw the obvious conclusion Achara is the best MLS goal scorer since Robbie Keane.
    Not even based on this game alone.

Preseason...only preseason. But what a strike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Not even based on this game alone.

Preseason...only preseason. But what a strike.
    Yes, but we can’t see our goal so

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We won 2-1...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2-1 preseason win for TFC over LA Galaxy. Achara again and Pozuelo on a PK with the goals.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    2-1 preseason win for TFC over LA Galaxy. Achara again and Pozuelo on a PK with the goals.
    Two weeks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone know where Pozuelo played tonight? On the outside or in the middle? I hope Vanney doesn't play him on the outside with Bradley out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Man, LA with a red card and then giving away a penalty? In a preseason game? Seems they were a bit too pumped up for this one.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    Anyone know where Pozuelo played tonight? On the outside or in the middle? I hope Vanney doesn't play him on the outside with Bradley out.
    We lined up with Fraser, Poz, Endoh, Shaff, Achara, and Jozy. So would assume he must have played in a deeper central role in midfield with Fraser.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Q had a beautiful save shutting down Chicharitto, great to see.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not bad actually

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A comparison of MLS to the top 5 leagues in Europe

https://football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/mr/mr52/en/

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A comparison of MLS to the top 5 leagues in Europe

https://football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/mr/mr52/en/

Which is why the concept of not allowing the stronger teams continue to get stronger and evolve the league into Pro/Rel doesn’t make sense. I know they don’t want a repeat of the NASL but doesn’t 30+ (and counting) mediocre teams do the same thing. Create a strong fan base, build a team culture and have teams and MLS aspire to compete with Liga Mx (5 years) and beyond 10 years from now.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    Which is why the concept of not allowing the stronger teams continue to get stronger and evolve the league into Pro/Rel doesn’t make sense. I know they don’t want a repeat of the NASL but doesn’t 30+ (and counting) mediocre teams do the same thing. Create a strong fan base, build a team culture and have teams and MLS aspire to compete with Liga Mx (5 years) and beyond 10 years from now.
    Just having a few strong teams killed the NASL. We don't have 150 years of tradition in soccer where weak teams will be supported no matter what. So a certain level of parity is essential.

For contrast look at the traditional sports. The Leafs get support despite mostly failing for decades. The Buffalo Bills have never won the SuperBowl. They all still have good fanbases

They are already allowing some non-parity in MLS. However, it's actually a feature that better management is what gets you ahead instead of just spending silly money.

Because MLSE is behind our team we like financial clout having some effect, but imagine if they sold the team to a less rich owner. It might get frustrating to have a decade of LAFC winning and us on the outside looking in.

The solution to MLS being behind is to raise spending for the whole league, and the best way to get that is a richer TV deal, so get all your friends who aren't going to the game to watch it!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Just having a few strong teams killed the NASL. We don't have 150 years of tradition in soccer where weak teams will be supported no matter what. So a certain level of parity is essential.

For contrast look at the traditional sports. The Leafs get support despite mostly failing for decades. The Buffalo Bills have never won the SuperBowl. They all still have good fanbases

They are already allowing some non-parity in MLS. However, it's actually a feature that better management is what gets you ahead instead of just spending silly money.

Because MLSE is behind our team we like financial clout having some effect, but imagine if they sold the team to a less rich owner. It might get frustrating to have a decade of LAFC winning and us on the outside looking in.

The solution to MLS being behind is to raise spending for the whole league, and the best way to get that is a richer TV deal, so get all your friends who aren't going to the game to watch it!

I didnt say over night, i said 5 - 10 years.

The problem of flooding the league with weak teams does the same as just having a few strong teams. I am not saying go crazy, but a realistic goal of Liga Mx parity is attainable.

If MLS doesn’t think we have enough quality in North America, then don’t dilute what what we have, with so many teams. Build 20 good teams (with parity) but 30-35 weakened teams is just wrong, unless the long term is Pro/Rel. The new CBA has some good provisions to increase budgets and salaries but there is no floor, so quite frankly there is no penalty, (Other than potential poor results and fan disenchantment) for team owners to just to put the minimum viable team on the pitch.

I am not even saying having the younger DP isn’t a smart idea, but i must have missed that MLS were also going to manage it other than recommended guidelines, so teams are penalized. If you are going to have a ceiling there needs to be a specific floor, not just recommended guidelines... thats why i think Pro/Rel makes so much sense. Get to a League 1 with 20 teams and a League 2 with 20 teams. You can then have parity in scheduling and a real incentive to be competitive.
    Last edited by Bushmancan; 02-17-2020 at 10:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would just like to point out an NBA analogy, that the weakest NBA teams are comparable to the strongest Euroleague teams. If MLS builds parity throughout the league over time, eventually they will become a top world league. But the tightrope they have to walk is gaining enough interest from around the world to increase media revenues to allow them to compete with the Big 4, I think they only have a small window for that, probably in the next 10 years. They've set up the latest CBA to slowly take the operational cost training wheels off (higher minimum salaries, charter flights, greater player movement) at the cost of a possible DP slot. I bet they never institute that option and after the next media deal (I'm betting it's ~$300M/yr, comparable to the NHL) they'll double the salary cap for all teams, just in time for the World Cup lead-up.

I've given a lot of thought to the Conference setup that fans would find palatable, do you think that when the league hits 36 teams, they might do a reorg? Say they move the top 9 teams from East and West into a new Elite Conference, and the remaining teams will be placed in a Championship Conference. Playoffs will be as now but between the top 8 Championship teams and the bottom 8 Elite teams, with the teams that make the Quarterfinals being moved to the Elite Conference and the losers being moved to the Championship Conference. Winner of the playoffs get the MLS Cup, but the top Elite team at the end of the season gets the Supporter's Shield. This is not Pro-Rel, simply an annual reorganization within both Div 1 Conferences.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Why would you think it’s bullshit, they average like 45,000 a game numbers TFC can only dream about . If it was TFC reporting one million twitter followers then that would be suspect when TFC struggle to get 25000 in the stands.
    the number of people entering the stadium means jack shit. That number doesn't affect things like TV ratings or social media numbers.

Go and take a look at their recent followers. Majority of them are bot created accounts. I can guarantee if you did a inventory of the number of potential BOT accounts, you would probably see them being the majority.

This is very common with companies / people with prominent social influence / politicians and political parties who have bought followers in order to punch up their numbers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    the number of people entering the stadium means jack shit. That number doesn't affect things like TV ratings or social media numbers.

Go and take a look at their recent followers. Majority of them are bot created accounts. I can guarantee if you did a inventory of the number of potential BOT accounts, you would probably see them being the majority.

This is very common with companies / people with prominent social influence / politicians and political parties who have bought followers in order to punch up their numbers.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Less than I expected - but still substantial.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In other news - FCC coach has resigned. Apparently tendered his resignation soon after the full report on his behaviour was given to him & the team & the union.

FCC using the same interim coach who was nice but not all that good last year.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Less than I expected - but still substantial.
    Put in Toronto FC - I blame the Seba bots.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In other news - FCC coach has resigned. Apparently tendered his resignation soon after the full report on his behaviour was given to him & the team & the union.

FCC using the same interim coach who was nice but not all that good last year.
    Better screening is really needed for staff from places where racism is still endemic. It's not just hooligans tossing bananas from the stands, it's still systemic in many places throughout the clubs, their management and the fans. Horrible.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Put in Toronto FC - I blame the Seba bots.
    yup - TFC numbers are gross - like 42%

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS Players Union statement on the Cinci situation

Basically telling Cinci & Cinci media to have a rethink

Complaints were widespread and not just on one issue

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS Players Union statement on the Cinci situation

Basically telling Cinci & Cinci media to have a rethink

Complaints were widespread and not just on one issue
    This is really serious stuff.

Much worse of a tire fire than we had in the Anselmi/Johnson era. It calls into question the entire management of the club.

I feel for their fans, they don't deserve this. How many of them will just walk away unless the owner/operator takes this seriously?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cinci leadership doing a very painful presser basically saying they were lied to by the coach.

Pablo Maurer saying it best

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really interesting that they made Jozy the captain in the last preseason game. Guess they're trying to get him to understand to put the club first and not just blurt stuff out when he doesn't have all the facts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Really interesting that they made Jozy the captain in the last preseason game. Guess they're trying to get him to understand to put the club first and not just blurt stuff out when he doesn't have all the facts.
    Pretty sure the last time he was captain he got a red card, so yeah interesting decision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    This is really serious stuff.

Much worse of a tire fire than we had in the Anselmi/Johnson era. It calls into question the entire management of the club.

I feel for their fans, they don't deserve this. How many of them will just walk away unless the owner/operator takes this seriously?
    Not sure if anyone has been following the Darren Mattocks story but it’s not looking good for him based on what I have read. Here is the short version of it;
    Late January he was driving a Mercedes with his friend and was travelling through Pennsylvania state. At around 9:55am he hit a patch of ice and rolled the car. He and his friend were taken to hospital although neither suffered serious injuries. Apparently the Mercedes was not insured. Around 11:55am the same morning Mattocks took out a new insurance policy on the car.
    3 days later he put in an insurance claim for the accident, the claim was worth $48,000. He told them he took out the policy at 5:55am of the morning of the accident and that the accident took place later that morning. Needless to say the insurance company became a little suspicious lol.
    He has been charged with 2 felonies for fraud and released on $50,000 bail.
    What a freaking mess(assuming all these reports are accurate)
    Last edited by anto7; 02-19-2020 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Grammar error