Hybrid View

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Its funny, i travel a lot for work and sometimes rent cars. the different laws are crazy. in California you have to have liability insurance. For at least 30,000.... In Ontario it is something like 1,000,000
    Agreed that some of the liability requirements in the US are crazy low, also considering how litigious many folks are. So it actually is a bit of 'Murica as Oldtimer wrote. However the minimum 3rd-party liability requirement in Ontario is actually only $200k, which is better than $30k but also too low.

A nasty side issue: in Ontario, you can't purchase supplemental liability insurance, and it's always the responsibility of the owner i.e. the rental car company if you're renting. Often they only have the minimum $200k coverage. If you don't also own a private car, with a rental car rider to bump up your insurance, you're stuck with the $200k liability coverage. And you're also stuck with the same CAD$200k coverage if you take the rental car into the US -- inadequate.

It's a big concern for me as I rent often and don't own a car. Also an issue when I was thinking of a road trip to the US for TFC games. And almost no Cdn car rental agency has a clue about this. If you ask, they'll happily sell you expensive LDW which you don't need if you have a good credit card, but they won't know anything about the liability problem.

In the US you can usually purchase supplemental liability at a fairly decent price from the rental agency.

That concludes my TED Talk.

https://www.myinsurancebroker.com/in...ce-in-ontario/
    Last edited by Auzzy; 02-21-2020 at 01:33 AM.