Hybrid View

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Journey - There is No Station

The Station - by Robert Hastings

Tucked away in our conscious is an idyllic vision. We see ourselves on a long trip that spans the continent. We are traveling by train.

Out the windows we drink in the passing scene of cars on nearby highways, of children waving at a crossing, of cattle grazing on a distant hillside, of smoke pouring from a power plant, of row upon row of corn and wheat, of flatlands and valleys, of mountains and rolling hillsides, of city skylines and village halls. But uppermost in our minds is the final destination. Bands will be playing and flags waving. Once we get there our dreams will come true, and the pieces of our lives will fit together like a jigsaw puzzle.

How restlessly we pace the aisles, damning the minutes for loitering - waiting, waiting, waiting for the station. “When we reach the station that will be it!" we cry. "When I'm 18." "When I buy a new Mercedes-Benz!"”When I put the last kid through college."”When I have paid off the mortgage!"”When I get a promotion."”When I reach the age of retirement, I shall live happily ever after”

Sooner or later we must realize there is no station, no one place to arrive at once and for all. The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly outdistances us.

—————————————

This thread could have been about the greatest sustained demonstration of excellence that parity-obsessed MLS will see in a hundred years. Three league titles in four years, and a paradigm-shattering CCL championship. We could have been the unquestioned dynasty of dynasties. We were the better team in all four finals.

But this thread is not about that.

It's not about the ball floating through the snowflakes over Alex Bono's fingertips. Nor is it about losing in 2016 without allowing a shot on goal. It's also not about dominating Sunday but getting the game turned by a non call followed by a fluke goal.

It's just sports. Nobody died.

I have a dream. I would go with the team to Guadalajara and drink from the Cup with them in their hotel after the victory. Deprived of that, I would go to Seattle and drink from the Cup at 2am somewhere. I would get a selfie of Michael and Jozy and I with the cup, drenched in champagne. Everyone who went would get that.

I still have that dream. (Even if I have a lot fewer frequent flyer miles now.)

These magnificent people who represent us gave us their very best every time, and they played better than the other team every time. The fact that we fell short... well... it doesn’t change the greatness. Not for me.

When you think about who we were only five years ago, and what we have become....

How much we love these guys, and how absolutely effing great they are.

We could not have done it all without Pozo, Seba, VV, Nick DeLeon, others...each of whom is pure class in his own way... but I want to salute the guys who have been here for all of it.

Michael Bradley. Jozy Altidore. Jonathan Osorio. Justin Morrow. Marky Delgado. Drew Moor. Ashtone Morgan (Mr TFC). Alex Bono. Jay Chapman. Eriq Zavaleta. Greg Vanney.

We walk together forever.
    Last edited by ensco; 11-12-2019 at 10:18 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ensco again.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    We could not have done it all without Pozo, Seba, VV, Nick DeLeon, others...each of whom is pure class in his own way... but I want to salute the guys who have been here for all of it.

Michael Bradley. Jozy Altidore. Jonathan Osorio. Justin Morrow. Marky Delgado. Drew Moor. Ashtone Morgan (Mr TFC). Alex Bono. Jay Chapman. Eriq Zavaleta. Greg Vanney.

We walk together forever.
    Absolutely... We had no right to be in the final last weekend. We got there through grit and determination. I hope we see another final soon but as all Toronto sports fans know these can be few and far between. I'm glad I went to an away final and really happy it was in Seattle with their classy and knowledgeable fans. Flights home were rough but those memories will fade quickly. I will remember us outplaying the home team and the continued loud support from TFC fans.

Great experience for me and my son. Hopefully we get another one next year!
    Toronto 'til I die although still a Leeds fan at heart...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd give rep if I could. The dream goes on. The dream never dies.

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You must spread some Ensco around before giving Reputation again.

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redpunkfiddle View Post
    You must spread some Ensco around before giving Reputation again.
    I got him for ya lads!! :-)
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks very much guys.

I am still feeling it, almost three weeks later... so impressed by how well this group has played in crunch time the last three years. What a group of players.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Thanks very much guys.

I am still feeling it, almost three weeks later... so impressed by how well this group has played in crunch time the last three years. What a group of players.

100% Agree, cant wait for 2020.