Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New “Under-22” Player initiative

Beginning in 2021, MLS will have the discretion to allow clubs to sign up to three players who are 22 years old or younger on a reduced charge to a club's salary budget. More details regarding the new initiative will be provided at a later date.
    Hmmmmmm interesting

Designated Player spots

Clubs will continue to have the right to sign up to three Designated Players in the new CBA. The league will have the right to limit the compensation for the third Designated Player to the maximum TAM Salary, unless the player is 23 years old or younger, in which case there will be no limit.
    That sucks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not the type of jump I was hoping for.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad for such a constructive bargaining leading to a solid agreement well before the season starts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is not a flashy new CBA with blow-the-doors off spending but if I am reading the info graphic correctly there are some really good concessions here that will help players and the quality of play in general: namely increased minimum salaries and more charter flights.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing reading between the lines - they seem to have taken away the restrictions on charter flights & put in minimums. That is massive for a team like TFC who can choose now to fly to Cbus if they want.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most interesting is the conversion of league provided TAM into GAM. Discretionary TAM that big spenders like TFC and LAFC have used will still remain, but will decline as the salary budget ("cap") increases. This will have the effect of increasing parity again, benefitting smaller markets and decrease the advantage TFC has over smaller teams.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 02-06-2020 at 12:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the new DP rules, I wonder if this changes our Piatti signing? Does that mean his salary will be under the $1.65mm threshold? If so, can we buy him down with TAM and sign another DP this summer?

I am sure Manning and Ali have gamed all this out.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Most interesting is the conversion of league provided TAM into GAM. Discretionary TAM that big spenders like TFC and LAFC have used will still remain, but will decline as the salary budget ("cap") increases. This will have the effect of increasing parity again, benefitting smaller markets and decrease the advantage TFC has over smaller teams.
    The get to those teams seems to be in the charters & in the 3 young players who won't count as much against the cap (whatever that means).

But they are forcing teams out of using 3 in their prime DP's & having a VV with TAM.

We are unlikely to see the likes of a 2017 TFC ever again.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    With the new DP rules, I wonder if this changes our Piatti signing? Does that mean his salary will be under the $1.65mm threshold? If so, can we buy him down with TAM and sign another DP this summer?

I am sure Manning and Ali have gamed all this out.
    Pretty sure this is why Piatti came into the picture earlier this week. They knew this was coming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So if the player is signed when they are 23 or under as a DP does the club continue to get a reduced budget charge going forward? (Like, say Pavon)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The get to those teams seems to be in the charters & in the 3 young players who won't count as much against the cap (whatever that means).

But they are forcing teams out of using 3 in their prime DP's & having a VV with TAM.

Which is a great way to keep the league from progressing. CCL? Nah, who needs it? I am so excited to cheer for random Argentine youngster for a half a season while he angles for his move to *insert random European team*.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Which is a great way to keep the league from progressing. CCL? Nah, who needs it? I am so excited to cheer for random Argentine youngster for a half a season while he angles for his move to *insert random European team*.
    Welcome to lower league football.

Reality is every team but about 4 in the world are sellers and even those will sell if they see value dropping.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post

Not the type of jump I was hoping for.
    Don't forget that in the last two years, 25% of any increase in TV revenues over $100m will increase the amount. That could potentially be huge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to lower league football.

Reality is every team but about 4 in the world are sellers and even those will sell if they see value dropping.
    I have no problem with being a selling team or whatever, I just find it ridiculous that the league dictates that you have to sign certain players with the intention of selling them. They easily could of just added a young player slot and kept the 3 DP system. But, we need to keep finding ways to help FC Dallas or Vancouver remain relevant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Don't forget that in the last two years, 25% of any increase in TV revenues over $100m will increase the amount. That could potentially be huge.
    Devil is in the detail....

Players to share media revenue

For the first time in league history, players will get a direct share of media rights revenue when MLS strikes its next round of deals that will start in 2023.

The league will increase player spending based on a formula that works as follows: First, take the total media rights revenue earned in 2022 and add $100 million to it. Then take the total earned in rights deals in 2023 (which the league logically expects to be a higher number).

Subtract the first number from the second, then take 25% of that total. That’s the sum that will be divided among the players in the 2023 and 2024 seasons.

All of MLS’ domestic and international rights deals expire at the end of the 2022 season.

You might be wondering what the total sum earned in 2022 will be. A source with knowledge of the situation said the league doesn’t know yet because there are clauses for years before then that will affect the 2022 figure.

Call me a cynic but given the shitty ratings I dont think there will be a 100M + increase per year in media rights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I saw that first budget number column, my heart sank as I thought the cheapskate owners won again. But then I looked at the total including GAM and TAM and it looks like things are in better shape than I thought. I also liked that the Journeyman players will finally break the 6-figure salary mark and even the reserve wages should allow players a comfortable living. I was shocked at how soon players will be allowed to become free agents (forcing teams to either lock them into contracts earlier or sell them younger). It looks like the Charter flights will be mandatory for almost all club matches by 2024. The owners have really set the baseline for operations going forward. I can't see too many other unaccounted for operating expenses so future CBA uncertainty will be mainly regarding player wages.

I'd also like to point this out: In 2006 the MLS Salary Cap was $1.9 million US for the entire team. This was before the time of DPs, GAM, or TAM. In 2021, total team salaries will be $9.83 million US not including DP amounts above this total. That's a team salary increase of over 5 times in 15 years and top 15 salary-wise worldwide. If that rate of growth continues, then by 2035 team salaries will be over $50 Million US which will make it a top 5 league in the world for expenditures.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Call me a cynic but given the shitty ratings I dont think there will be a 100M + increase per year in media rights.
    SUM's / MLS carrot should have been WC 2026 rights, but Fox has those locked up already. What hasn't been locked up though is streaming rights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Extremely disappointed in the CBA. I was hoping for either a LARGE jump in salary cap to at least $25 million - or best case scenario no salary cap. We already spend $20 mil or so here at Toronto, but of course the league wants to dictate how we spend it. Mickey Mouse league - was before, and still remains so today. I'll continue to support TFC as a season ticket holder, but I wish we'd get rid of the plastic feeling the MLS has always had and joined the world of football. Maybe next time.

I'll celebrate by not buying the $170 jersey TFC has for sale. Why bother buying gear if it isn't going to new players anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    When I saw that first budget number column, my heart sank as I thought the cheapskate owners won again. But then I looked at the total including GAM and TAM and it looks like things are in better shape than I thought. I also liked that the Journeyman players will finally break the 6-figure salary mark and even the reserve wages should allow players a comfortable living. I was shocked at how soon players will be allowed to become free agents (forcing teams to either lock them into contracts earlier or sell them younger). It looks like the Charter flights will be mandatory for almost all club matches by 2024. The owners have really set the baseline for operations going forward. I can't see too many other unaccounted for operating expenses so future CBA uncertainty will be mainly regarding player wages.

I'd also like to point this out: In 2006 the MLS Salary Cap was $1.9 million US for the entire team. This was before the time of DPs, GAM, or TAM. In 2021, total team salaries will be $9.83 million US not including DP amounts above this total. That's a team salary increase of over 5 times in 15 years and top 15 salary-wise worldwide. If that rate of growth continues, then by 2035 team salaries will be over $50 Million US which will make it a top 5 league in the world for expenditures.
    Total for salary has gone up 5 fold. Expansion fee has gone up 30-fold. Attendance has gone up a lot as well. TV money and merch. Charlotte just paid between 300-325 million bucks for expansion fee. TFC paid $10 mil. I think this league is Micky Mouse, afraid and unambitious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Total for salary has gone up 5 fold. Expansion fee has gone up 30-fold. Attendance has gone up a lot as well. TV money and merch. Charlotte just paid between 300-325 million bucks for expansion fee. TFC paid $10 mil. I think this league is Micky Mouse, afraid and unambitious.
    I think it’s more so held back by a few cheap owners who 1) have memories of the bad times and think they are inherently owned something for having sunk money into losing operations 2) can’t get it through their thick skull this isn’t the top of the food chain and there’s a global war for talent + maybe even viewership

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I think it’s more so held back by a few cheap owners who 1) have memories of the bad times and think they are inherently owned something for having sunk money into losing operations 2) can’t get it through their thick skull this isn’t the top of the food chain and there’s a global war for talent + maybe even viewership
    $300 million expansion fees being collected, and all we get is another $500k or so for the next season? Sure, that sounds about right. This league needs to ditch its training wheels - or stop telling me it has ambition to be a top 5 club in the world. That's a joke!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$300 million expansion fees being collected, and all we get is another $500k or so for the next season? Sure, that sounds about right. This league needs to ditch its training wheels - or stop telling me it has ambition to be a top 5 club in the world. That's a joke!
    agreed
    enough with the baby steps

MLS is still living in their parents basements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In most leagues expansion fees aren't included in the revenues that determines the cap. You'd have to see how profitable the league is when you take that out. Once they hit 30 teams they will probably stop expansion so you're not setting the cap based on that money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leafsman View Post
    In most leagues expansion fees aren't included in the revenues that determines the cap. You'd have to see how profitable the league is when you take that out. Once they hit 30 teams they will probably stop expansion so you're not setting the cap based on that money.
    It’s not that expansion dollars are paying salaries, it’s that price tags on expansion represent increased acceptance of the business model and “value” in the business. Also implies they get more advert dollars etc.

So owners have profited handsomely from all this (at the very least on paper) while players (and arguably fans) aren’t seeing anywhere near the same upside.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing reading between the lines - they seem to have taken away the restrictions on charter flights & put in minimums. That is massive for a team like TFC who can choose now to fly to Cbus if they want.
    That would be great news! However the CBA just specifies the minimum number of charter flights. The league could easily still dictate the maximum number of charters to the teams -- set at a number that matches, or is only a bit higher than the minimums as per CBA for example. We shall see.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    That would be great news! However the CBA just specifies the minimum number of charter flights. The league could easily still dictate the maximum number of charters to the teams -- set at a number that matches, or is only a bit higher than the minimums as per CBA for example. We shall see.
    Checking the Yahoo article, there's a bit more good news about this:
    "Additionally, teams will be required to fly private to all MLS Cup playoff games and CONCACAF Champions League matches involving international travel."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The big part of the deal is the share of media rights. If they get a big contract when the current rights expire in 2022, that's where all the revenue growth will come from and will then increase the cap. The current deal only gives teams about 3 million each and that will probably sky rocket in the next deal.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad I am not having to figure all this out and make it work. I just go to enjoy (hopefully) the end product.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post

It will not continue to grow at the same rate considering the TV numbers are abysmal.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

or best case scenario no salary cap.
    As someone who saw the original NASL collapse, I would not want no salary cap. Even if your team is the high spending team, who wants to be the Cosmos when the league that gives you meaning collapses?