Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The 2020 Collective Bargaining Agreement Thread

Since this is an important round of negotiations this year, do you think MLS is ready to take the training wheels off and significantly raise the cap? Will they loosen the free agent restrictions to 7 and 27, like the NHL? Will they get rid of all this xAM? Will the players strike? Will players or ownership try to negotiate a short agreement so they can bargain again after SUM negotiates the next media contract? All thoughts, opinions, and questions here!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the deciding point like before will be the minimum salaries. That's going to be a big battle.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Word is that the players are wanting to get rid of TAM and just have a higher cap.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The players side of things is buried within this web page

http://mlsplayers.org/progress

Bargaining discussions in earnest today

MLSPA guy discussed at length today - see summary here https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...191948288.html

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The players side of things is buried within this web page

http://mlsplayers.org/progress

I think most fans, sports writers, and many GMs would agree with this:

MLS oversees an overly complex and unnecessarily confusing system to build rosters and acquire players. The system is littered with acronyms that fans, commentators and players struggle to understand. Players are committed to working towards and fighting for a system that is more transparent, more fair and allows competition to happen not just on the field but between front offices as well.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel/Charter is a "hot button" issue per , noting several "disastrous" travel situations he has personally been involved in. He does say it is a difficult issue for (cost estimated to be over $20 million/year for full charters). #MLS#MLSPA

20 million a year to charter to every game. Wowza.

Yeah, that's going to be a tricky one. Going to have to be some compromise there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Travel/Charter is a "hot button" issue per , noting several "disastrous" travel situations he has personally been involved in. He does say it is a difficult issue for (cost estimated to be over $20 million/year for full charters). #MLS#MLSPA

Yeah, that's going to be a tricky one. Going to have to be some compromise there.
    Perhaps it's not that outrageous. $20mm divided by 30 MLS teams is roughly $667k per team. Equivalent to the price of a lower level TAM signing.

Most MLS teams are spending far more than that on DP transfer fees.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They should just let teams arrange their own travel with no restrictions. Take the issue out of play completely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    They should just let teams arrange their own travel with no restrictions. Take the issue out of play completely.
    But the problem there is that it creates an imbalance between the teams that can afford it and the teams that can't, and that chips away at the imposed parity of the league.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The charter thing would actually save teams money in the long run but there are a lot of owners who don't think twice about NHL/NFL charters for their other teams but would balk at doing it for a league where the players are not the major revenue drivers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who are our three player reps on the PA?

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Who are our three player reps on the PA?
    Went looking for this today. Interestingly enough, TFC is the only logo that doesn't work.
    Also, not sure when this was last updated.

https://mlsplayers.org/about-us/player-reps
    https://twitter.com/MLSPA/status/1205585503967436800
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fergiejr View Post
    Went looking for this today. Interestingly enough, TFC is the only logo that doesn't work.

I wouldn't be surprised if our Rep was Drew Moor

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fergiejr View Post

Pretty sure I read Bradley was one of our reps last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    Perhaps it's not that outrageous. $20mm divided by 30 MLS teams is roughly $667k per team. Equivalent to the price of a lower level TAM signing.

Most MLS teams are spending far more than that on DP transfer fees.
    When I first read it I just thought '20 mil per team,' but upon reflection I realized that didn't make sense – it would be way too much.

So yeah, around $700k or so for each team ... you'd think they could just pool some money together for that or something. Or at least say, if the travel is further than X amount of miles you can charter, or something.
    Last edited by James17930; 01-08-2020 at 02:55 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I first read it I just thought '20 mil per team,' but upon reflection I realized that didn't make sense – it would be way too much.

So yeah, around $700k or so for each team ... you'd think they could just pool some money together for that or something. Or at least say, if the travel is further than X amount of miles you can charter, or something.
    I’d like to see the number of charter flights dramatically increased. Short haul stuff with longer turn around times on each end can stay commercial if there needs to be cost savings.

Nobody should be flying cross country or on short turn around times with commercial flights. Just drains the players unnecessarily. I’m sure “how do you feel about waiting around the airport?” is a phrase often used when foreign players are told about MLS.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I’d like to see the number of charter flights dramatically increased. Short haul stuff with longer turn around times on each end can stay commercial if there needs to be cost savings.

Nobody should be flying cross country or on short turn around times with commercial flights. Just drains the players unnecessarily. I’m sure “how do you feel about waiting around the airport?” is a phrase often used when foreign players are told about MLS.
    I agree but they need to make a certain number mandatory or force them if a certain amount of travel miles + match times don't give the players sufficient rest. Leaving it to the team's discretion doesn't work because there's always a team like the Union who will use none of them like they did last season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There could be stipulations. E.g. only direct commercial flights, and only up to a certain travel time, etc. Otherwise charter. In addition a minimum # of charter flights per year. (You wouldn't want a team from Chicago or another major hub city to have a huge disadvantage just because they have more short/direct flights available to more cities.)

If that means a team like Vancouver (out of the way) has to take more charter flights, the league could even pay for the difference and keep things equitable. Or in the case of another city with a minor airport and few direct flights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the league eventually expands to 32 teams create an east and west conference whereby you only play teams in your conference during the season. This would significantly reduce travel. Imagine a scenario where the champion of each conference play against each other in a one game supporters shield championship, just prior to the MLS Cup Playoffs. This game could be played the weekend that the playoffs begin when the two conference champions have a bye for the first round. So there would a supporters shield final and an MLS Cup final. How great would that be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If clubs only played in each conference, then I would expect MLS to grow to 36 clubs, allowing home and away matches against every other team in the conference for 36 games. That said, I don't see that happening because the two largest media markets would never play each other except in the playoffs, which would impact TV and streaming contract amounts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also Jozy. He talked about it in his year-end presser.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Extended to exaclty when our window opens. I think they're very close. Will probably be done in the next week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gonna be very interesting to see the details of the new CBA. I hope the players can get a lot of the basic things they are fighting for like a minimum wage increase and no limits on chartered flights.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Gonna be very interesting to see the details of the new CBA. I hope the players can get a lot of the basic things they are fighting for like a minimum wage increase and no limits on chartered flights.
    I think the charters won't fully happen. Seems the owners really fought that one. I could see maybe the total allowable number of them go up a bit but not much. Got to keep parity for the cheapo owners.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I think the charters won't fully happen. Seems the owners really fought that one. I could see maybe the total allowable number of them go up a bit but not much. Got to keep parity for the cheapo owners.
    All indications are the players are focused on increasing free agency, increasing base wages and making sure any cap space can be applied to all players (i.e. ditch TAM) while the owners are focused on spending caps.

When you see that the majority of the Union Exec & team reps are veteran US-born guys, you know their priorities are different than the DP's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    if I recall correctly there was some sort of bonus paid out to players on teams that didn't use all their charter flights, and that for many of the people earning the league minimum getting that bonus cash was more important than the rigours of commercial travel in NA

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreement in place

BIG wins for the players on free agency - Marky Delgado, for example, a likely free agent next year

& a good news report summary

https://sports.yahoo.com/mls-avoids-...160107679.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gonna hire a lawyer to check these documents out for me.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano