Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    $300 million expansion fees being collected, and all we get is another $500k or so for the next season? Sure, that sounds about right. This league needs to ditch its training wheels - or stop telling me it has ambition to be a top 5 club in the world. That's a joke!
    Currently MLS is Top 15 in the world in team salaries (top 10%), just behind the CSL and Saudi League. In terms of quality, I couldn't tell you, since we can't seem to make it out of CCL to compare against other Confederations. They're trying to raise the quality, but they don't want inflation getting out of hand where they are overpaying for domestic talent. The overall domestic playerbase is improving so they are due for a raise based on performance, like Rooney said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    $300 million expansion fees being collected, and all we get is another $500k or so for the next season? Sure, that sounds about right. This league needs to ditch its training wheels - or stop telling me it has ambition to be a top 5 club in the world. That's a joke!
    The expansion fee may well be what is keeping this league from really losing money.

But yes, ditch the fucking training wheels. This is a joke. And the DP rule basically getting restricted is a poor move as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This CBA seems to signal that the league wants to focus even more on domestic players. Ditching TAM in favour of GAM, limiting the third DP, raising minimum salaries ... all these things point to local player development. I think the real winners here are going to be the clubs that have already invested well in their academies.

Luckily we have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    With the new DP rules, I wonder if this changes our Piatti signing? Does that mean his salary will be under the $1.65mm threshold? If so, can we buy him down with TAM and sign another DP this summer?

I am sure Manning and Ali have gamed all this out.
    There is no new DP rule for the 2020 season. There isn’t yet an Under 23 DP rule in the new CBA. They could pay Piatti whatever they want

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Devil is in the detail....

Call me a cynic but given the shitty ratings I dont think there will be a 100M + increase per year in media rights.
    It will be way more than $100m increase in the next TV deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last deal they only had 20 teams. At the time of the next deal there will be 50% more teams in pretty much every major media market in the US save Detroit (I expect Phoenix to get a spot in the next 2 years). Networks will take notice.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza_55 View Post
    There is no new DP rule for the 2020 season. There isn’t yet an Under 23 DP rule in the new CBA. They could pay Piatti whatever they want
    If I remember correctly, Vancouver and Dallas are prominent members of the MLS competition committee and are likely the forces pushing for the new rules to be adopted. It's actually quite likely they will go through and TFC knows this (the board usually just rubber stamps the competition committee decisions).

It's a brilliant political move. The cheapest teams in MLS get to effectively force their competitors to replace their DPS with TAM-level players, all the while framing it as an "incentive for developing younger players." So say a Vancouver can be more competitive with a high spending team like TFC without spending a dime because TFC is forced to spend less.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    If I remember correctly, Vancouver and Dallas are prominent members of the MLS competition committee and are likely the forces pushing for the new rules to be adopted. It's actually quite likely they will go through and TFC knows this (the board usually just rubber stamps the competition committee decisions).

It's a brilliant political move. The cheapest teams in MLS get to effectively force their competitors to replace their DPS with TAM-level players, all the while framing it as an "incentive for developing younger players." So say a Vancouver can be more competitive with a high spending team like TFC without spending a dime because TFC is forced to spend less.
    The sad part of this is there is no freaking way Dallas or Vancouver are going to spend big DP level money on a 3rd guy that is under 23 in order to sell him on. They are not going to do an Almiron. Heck, nobody but LAFC & Atlanta have tried that.

The cheap teams do often go with 3 DP's, but its at a much smaller amount, juggling guys between TAM/GAM & DP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really hope when the time comes for TFC to get that U23 DP they splurge big time to lure someone you wouldn't think would come to MLS yet. Someone like Giorgi Chakvetadze.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a truly hilarious move Dallas has marketed a Mexican Superstars Package including games against Vela, Pulido and Chicharito. Not only do these guys not want to spend but they are marketing other teams DPs to sell tickets. What a joke that they had pull in this CBA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    In a truly hilarious move Dallas has marketed a Mexican Superstars Package including games against Vela, Pulido and Chicharito. Not only do these guys not want to spend but they are marketing other teams DPs to sell tickets. What a joke that they had pull in this CBA.
    why do they want to keep a team in MLS?
    wouldn't they be better off as event coordinators and hold friendly or BS tournament?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The sad part of this is there is no freaking way Dallas or Vancouver are going to spend big DP level money on a 3rd guy that is under 23 in order to sell him on. They are not going to do an Almiron. Heck, nobody but LAFC & Atlanta have tried that.

The cheap teams do often go with 3 DP's, but its at a much smaller amount, juggling guys between TAM/GAM & DP.
    thats my take.

if they dont have the money to sign a big DP, they wont have the money to set up scouting infrastructure and then take the risk and sign a prospect

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    Absolutely pathetic...
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 02-10-2020 at 04:43 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy tweeted something in response but Parkhurst said it best

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahhh, yes, the league's wonderful "product strategy committee . So not well known that I haven't be able to find anything on this on the league's website. According to this article posted on The Athletic (https://theathletic.com/1520302/2020...ayer-signings/), the writer believes, that as per sources, here is who that is on this committee that makes the decisions which are the typically rubber stamped by the league's board of governors:

FC Dallas' Clark Hunt and Vancouver's Greg Kerfoot are the co-chairs of this committee, and have influential voices in this group. Then you also have the following teams represented:

- Seattle Sounders
    - Portland Timbers
    - LA FC
    - New York Red Bulls
    - NYC FC
    - LA Galaxy
    - Atlanta United
    - Sporting KC

If these sources are correct, it appears that this committee is represented evenly between high spending and low spending teams. Though some of the high spending teams also have young DPs.

This is a key sentence in that article:

"And while they don’t spend all that much money, some of the more budget-conscious clubs wield significant influence in these types of discussions."

I recall when Tim Bezbechenko, at a fan event in 2015, was asked if there were plans to put in a 4th DP. He indicated there wasn't, as some of the teams didn't even want to use the 3rd DP slot, let along a 4th. He then went on to say this league was designed to be "competitively neutral".
    Last edited by spe18; 02-10-2020 at 10:38 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ yeah, it's likely that the chairs are setting the agenda, that's probably why they've managed to pull this off.

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post

"And while they don’t spend all that much money, some of the more budget-conscious clubs wield significant influence in these types of discussions."

It's brilliant politically, they can claim "we're not being cheap, we just want to promote youth development," all the while it's actually them being cheap and wanting to lower the league to their level.

IMO this is the wrong way to go. MLS needs to be competitive at a minimum with Mexico, which requires a larger investment, not a smaller one.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 02-11-2020 at 10:09 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the salary ceiling on using your third DP spot for a veteran player at the discretion of the league or is it set in stone only being able to pay them the max tam price ?
    Last edited by Red CB Toronto; 02-11-2020 at 10:06 AM.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Is the salary ceiling on using your third DP spot for a veteran player at the discretion of the league or is set in stone?
    League discretion, the CBA just allows the league to do this. Obviously in anticipation that it's possibly going through.

What is set in stone is the number of charter flights. It isn't a minimum, it's the actual number of flights, period.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 02-11-2020 at 10:11 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

League discretion, the CBA just allows the league to do this. Obviously in anticipation that it's possibly going through.
    It will be very interesting to see what the first example is of the MLS using its discretion on such a DP signing ? I assume it would be a signing of an over the hill name player but who knows ?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It will be very interesting to see what the first example is of the MLS using its discretion on such a DP signing ? I assume it would be a signing of an over the hill name player but who knows ?
    If I believe what people are saying, Piatti is the first such signing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I believe what people are saying, Piatti is the first such signing.
    I was not sure the terms and length of the deal was they were not really discussed in the announcement. Is Piatti actually on loan to the Reds right now since I did read his deal in Spain expires in June.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was not sure the terms and length of the deal was they were not really discussed in the announcement. Is Piatti actually on loan to the Reds right now since I did read his deal in Spain expires in June.
    I believe they released him, thought i read that somewhere

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leafsman View Post
    I believe they released him, thought i read that somewhere
    Espanyol and Piatti mutually terminated the last months of his deal, so we got him on a free transfer, no loan.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Espanyol and Piatti mutually terminated the last months of his deal, so we got him on a free transfer, no loan.
    If that is the case how long is his deal with Toronto then?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If that is the case how long is his deal with Toronto then?
    1 year + 1 year club option.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So are transfer fees still being amortized against the cap?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    So are transfer fees still being amortized against the cap?
    No reported change, I guess we'll know for sure if the written complete document is released.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto