View Poll Results: Continue the course or look elsewhere??

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Continue the Course

77 95.06%
  • Look Elsewhere

4 4.94%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coach Support

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still think it's the right time for fresh ideas. Vanney has been lucky to keep his job with the absolute garbage we played for nearly 16 months. That being said, what have you done for me lately matters, and our last game was an MLS Cup Final. He deserves to keep the job, but I'm still skeptical.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I still think it's the right time for fresh ideas. Vanney has been lucky to keep his job with the absolute garbage we played for nearly 16 months. That being said, what have you done for me lately matters, and our last game was an MLS Cup Final. He deserves to keep the job, but I'm still skeptical.
    But again, even if they wanted to replace him, who's better that's available?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    But again, even if they wanted to replace him, who's better that's available?
    We could've had Thierry Henry!! Lol.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    We could've had Thierry Henry!! Lol.
    20% win rate record as a coach, what could go wrong?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need "fresh ideas" when with 24 teams and a parity league "on average" you'd reach an MLS Cup final every 12 years, and TFC has done it 3 years out of four? That's harsh.

I get being unhappy when he's done experiments during the year that lost us easily winnable games, I didn't like it either (it drove me nuts at times) but on the flip side it's those experiments that led to a flexible team that could change strategies 4 times within one playoff game to be able to win it. There are very few MLS teams that can do that type of thing. When you have a playoff system regular season wins aren't as important.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    We need "fresh ideas" when with 24 teams and a parity league "on average" you'd reach an MLS Cup final every 12 years, and TFC has done it 3 years out of four? That's harsh.

I get being unhappy when he's done experiments during the year that lost us easily winnable games, I didn't like it either (it drove me nuts at times) but on the flip side it's those experiments that led to a flexible team that could change strategies 4 times within one playoff game to be able to win it. There are very few MLS teams that can do that type of thing. When you have a playoff system regular season wins aren't as important.
    And you could also say that him experimenting during the season was what prepared the team to switch formations so easily come playoff time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys we lost to a semi-pro Panamian team in CCL.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And we kicked out of the playoffs the team that beat a full strength LigaMx team - we can play that game forever.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seba gone, Vazquez gone, Jozy out with injury, Omar not here yet --and not even Zavaleta (out) for defensive cover, Pozuelo not here yet. Terrance Boyd was our only offensive "threat" (loosely called) - someone who TFC cut loose in July because he wasn't any good at this level.

So... how do you think in any way that the loss was the coaches fault? Let's be realistic here, no coach in the world would have won that game.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noimpactinmtl View Post
    Savour it while you can, coaching stability is a rare luxury enjoyed by very few clubs.

You'd think this franchise out of all in MLS would know that the best. "Supporters" have short memories.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seba gone, Vazquez gone, Jozy out with injury, Omar not here yet --and not even Zavaleta (out) for defensive cover, Pozuelo not here yet. Terrance Boyd was our only offensive "threat" (loosely called) - someone who TFC cut loose in July because he wasn't any good at this level.

So... how do you think in any way that the loss was the coaches fault? Let's be realistic here, no coach in the world would have won that game.
    Only because you pushed hard here (again I have been critical, but don't want him gone). If you know you don't have the horses in this round of CCL, why play your typical high line. (remember there were all sorts of rumors that we were signing someone significant, in the very near future). Play far more conservative - come out of it 0-0, 1-0 or 0-1. If I recall Omar Browne made our defense look silly (btw he is on the Expansion Draft list unprotected).

It felt more like we didn't care about CCL this year and in hindsight that wasn't necessarily bad, injuries devastated us in 2018. The tactics in that game in light of who we were missing might suggest that we played the wrong style. Why is it so bad to sometime park the bus.

I continue to think Vanney is good but he needs a quality team to execute his plans.

Just my thoughts
    Last edited by Bushmancan; 11-18-2019 at 05:25 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was also in February. I think the rest of the season and how it unfolded says more than not being ready for the first CCL match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post

I continue to think Vanney is good but he needs a quality team to execute his plans.
    You can say this about every coach in the history of the sport.

You can't polish a turd, and that team at the beginning was a steaming pile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is Football, sometimes a non-league team beats an EPL team, it happens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post
    I would like to know from the RPBs does Vanney have confidence in continuing with being our coach, the Seattle Sounders have the right to have a vote of confidence and i just want to know if we had the same priveledge would Vanney continue

Gracos, I think this was a good thread, even though there was skepticism to start. Right now 72-4 for Vanney. I think the debate was solid.