Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Com on you Reds!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by michaeltfc91 View Post
    I can't express how sad it is there is no viewing party at Rogers Center / BMO Field or Jurassic Park.... How is the club supposed to become a big deal when MLS Cup is being treated like a regular season NHL game?

I guess I am just going to be watching locally, please let me know the viewing party in Vaughan / Woodbridge
    Vaughan viewing is at The Mills Taphouse...Jane and Rutherford area...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    Rec room has a viewing party
    The downtown Toronto Rec Room event is now sold out, but the Square One Rec Room event still has availability.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    Vaughan viewing is at The Mills Taphouse...Jane and Rutherford area...
    Thanks... Went there for the Atlanta game, great crowd. Hope it is even better for the final

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone going out to watch the game in Barrie?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still vaguely wondering why an organization like MLSE can't be bothered to organize ANYTHING in terms of a viewing party outside of a botched "come to our restaurant" event.

Like...nada. Bupkiss. Nothing.

This is actually embarrassing & in this city, smacks of second tier to the big boys stuff.

RPB Member
    Banners Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Still vaguely wondering why an organization like MLSE can't be bothered to organize ANYTHING in terms of a viewing party outside of a botched "come to our restaurant" event.

This is actually embarrassing & in this city, smacks of second tier to the big boys stuff.
    These things do take time and people to organize...Perchance they didn’t believe the team had a hope or prayer of moving past DC?

If/when we bring home the cup...I hope these folks have plans in a file somewhere for a rally, parade, something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well just keep in mind that the lone playoff game versus D.C United didn’t even sell out only 25000 on a Saturday night with Wayne Rooney in town for a playoff game and there were 5000 empty seats . Maybe MLSE knows that if they opened up Scotia bank Arena or evening Maple Leaf Square and the place was empty it would not be a good look so there are not taking any chances. There is absolutely no buzz in the city for TFC in the MLS Cup nothing at all which probably explains why MLSE is not planning any type of a mass viewing unfortunately.

This is actually embarrassing & in this city, smacks of second tier to the big boys stuff.[/QUOTE]
    Well just keep in mind that the lone playoff game versus D.C United didn’t even sell out only 25000 on a Saturday night with Wayne Rooney in town for a playoff game and there were 5000 empty seats . Maybe MLSE knows that if they opened up Scotia bank Arena or evening Maple Leaf Square and the place was empty it would not be a good look so there are not taking any chances. There is absolutely no buzz in the city for TFC in the MLS Cup nothing at all which probably explains why MLSE is not planning any type of a mass viewing unfortunately.

This is actually embarrassing & in this city, smacks of second tier to the big boys stuff.[/QUOTE]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing going on in Seattle either. That is generating a lot of commentary on twitter etc...
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A completely different energy than when we hosted. So surreal, since they moved on away with the final also being away there's a crazy disconnect. Doesnt really feel like were part of this run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I definitely want to go to a viewing party for this one but can't make it to downtown TO so my options are probably Vaughan or Mississauga. Haven't been to a viewing party before so I have no idea what to expect though.

Just from the pics I found it looks like the screen at the Rec Room is way bigger, is the Mills still decent when it comes to the view of the TVs? Also will both crowds be pretty hyped?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

2X bunches of us going to piper arms on Fairview in burlington arnd 2 on Sunday

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't buy the "It takes people" thing. Raptors - happened. Leafs - happens.

They could have done something to at least try to catch people locally to create a feeling of "Hey join us!" To at least try to build TV audiences - put out a blast telling bars "Hey register as having the game on & we'll tell people". I get it - MLSE wants all of this pie to themselves but if you are not going to offer it up, CREATE BUZZ.

Vanney was talking earlier this week about how there wasn't as much buzz downtown - well maybe because MLSE IS TOO DANG BUSY IGNORING THE PEOPLE STAYING HERE.

There has been NOT ONE piece from the team beyond the Seattle tickets & the usual pregames stuff.

Its Marketing 101 - your team is winning, create a communal buzz that drives people to buy tickets to be in with that next season.

Nah, I think the FO is WAAAAY too focused on what is going on in Seattle & has not spent a moment to consider that the majority of people are staying here. This is a team that basically says about away games "Its on TSN" and leaves it at that.

Even the Toronto Wolfpack do more then this for their away games.

And, I get it, North American sports teams don't do anything for their fans for away games beyond making sure its on TV. But take a LONG hard look at what EPL teams are doing in the US & around the world when it comes to games with organized events & supporter group venues & connecting them all. Heck, look at little Italy & Portugal on a Saturday. For Pete's sake, I bet that 1k of every 20K at a Saturday night game spent part of the day earlier in a bar / pub/ sporting club watching the "old team".

You've got the biggest event of the year for this team - on YOUR TV network - on a weekend afternoon - and people wanting to commune together for that event because THAT'S WHAT YOU GOT THEM TO DO FOR ONE OF YOUR TEAMS ALREADY THIS VERY YEAR"....and you just let that all slide?!?!?!

Stop thinking MLS fandom is like the NHL & start thinking that MLS fandom is more like Serie A.

Ultimately, this points out to me that the FO believes that fan engagement is most derived from a focus on the game experience when its actually largely derived from a focus on BELONGING. Its time the FO got off its ass and reexamined what it means to engage with supporters of the team - we are not just members at games - we are not just members of supporter groups who go to games. We actually care about this team when its playing AWAY too.

Start finding out how to access that passion.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 11-06-2019 at 11:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No viewing at Maple Leaf Square is criminal. I honestly cannot understand what the reasoning behind that must be.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They could have done something to at least try to catch people locally to create a feeling of "Hey join us!" To at least try to build TV audiences - put out a blast telling bars "Hey register as having the game on & we'll tell people". I get it - MLSE wants all of this pie to themselves but if you are not going to offer it up, CREATE BUZZ.

Vanney was talking earlier this week about how there wasn't as much buzz downtown - well maybe because MLSE IS TOO DANG BUSY IGNORING THE PEOPLE STAYING HERE.

There has been NOT ONE piece from the team beyond the Seattle tickets & the usual pregames stuff.

Its Marketing 101 - your team is winning, create a communal buzz that drives people to buy tickets to be in with that next season.

Nah, I think the FO is WAAAAY too focused on what is going on in Seattle & has not spent a moment to consider that the majority of people are staying here. This is a team that basically says about away games "Its on TSN" and leaves it at that.

And, I get it, North American sports teams don't do anything for their fans for away games beyond making sure its on TV. But take a LONG hard look at what EPL teams are doing in the US & around the world when it comes to games with organized events & supporter group venues & connecting them all. Heck, look at little Italy & Portugal on a Saturday. For Pete's sake, I bet that 1k of every 20K at a Saturday night game spent part of the day earlier in a bar / pub/ sporting club watching the "old team".

You've got the biggest event of the year for this team - on YOUR TV network - on a weekend afternoon - and people wanting to commune together for that event because THAT'S WHAT YOU GOT THEM TO DO FOR ONE OF YOUR TEAMS ALREADY THIS VERY YEAR"....and you just let that all slide?!?!?!

Stop thinking MLS fandom is like the NHL & start thinking that MLS fandom is more like Serie A.

Ultimately, this points out to me that the FO believes that fan engagement is most derived from a focus on the game experience when its actually largely derived from a focus on BELONGING. Its time the FO got off its ass and reexamined what it means to engage with supporters of the team - we are not just members at games - we are not just members of supporter groups who go to games. We actually care about this team when its playing AWAY too.

This is so well said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by daner90 View Post
    Anyone going out to watch the game in Barrie?
    I am on the fence between watching at home or going to Fionn MacCool's. I messaged them on facebook and the responded saying they are having a viewing party but nothing advertised.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by michaeltfc91 View Post
    Thanks... Went there for the Atlanta game, great crowd. Hope it is even better for the final
    no prob!...should be a great afternoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will be at Abbey Road pub in Mississauga with a few other people.
    Last edited by BritSOL; 11-07-2019 at 03:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WEGZ is another good option for people in Vaughan or Richmond Hill.

Forecast for Sunday is +7 with no rain. TSN is showing the game on TSN4 only, it looks like they're not even happy that TFC made it to the final !!!
    I remember seeing "Toronto till I die" flying around downtown during playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Stick View Post
    In Guelph, there will be a viewing party at The Fat Duck.
    Thanks for letting me know! Just found out Edelweiss Tavern in Kitchener is having a viewing party (projector and full sound) hosted by the Grand River Union if anyone is in the KW area!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I posted all currently known viewing parties on the first post of this forum. I will add more as they come.

Also I contacted MLSE yesterday to see if they were showing the game at the square and they replied to check back on Friday.

RoadTrips:Columbus/Vancouver/Montreal/Columbus/NewYork/Montreal/
    RPBScarf:2015/2019/2023

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well said.

Do you all remember in 2016 and 2017, John Tory was walking around with COYR scarf, the MLS put a big trophy in Nathan Philips Square. Yes, the game is not in Toronto, but there's nothing going on. Nothing. Nada. Zip.

It's as if the team missed the playoffs. The Front Office is really screwing themselves on this.

On Sunday there is nothing going on in Scotiabank Arena, Skydome, or Maple Leaf Square. What is wrong with the MLSE?! This is a perfect opportunity to generate excitement for the team!

If they win, are they going to have a party at Chuck E Cheese for the team?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I forgot to ask, do all these places show Liverpool VS Man City?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The real question here is what does MLSE consider worth their while when it comes to the Reds at least in their eyes?Honest question if they did a Maple Leaf Square showing would it hit capacity and have people lining up in anticipation of getting in. Just look at the Raptors, the momentum they built up during the post-season has begun to waver, it just was not sustainable. You could walk into Jurassic Park just before tipoff for the season opener for instances. It kinda looks like this MLS Cup finals appearance kind of just jumped up upon them and not much effort has been put into it.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I see that Red CB - good point.

There's way of doing this, and there's ways of creating game day buzz when the team isn't at home - North American sports teams outside of the NFL are particularly BAD at that. In this town, for this sport, this could be developed. And this Sunday is a good place to start - just dissapointed the team has been completely silent about the fans left here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The depth of interest just isn’t there.

I am struck by the contrast between the frenzy for tickets in Seattle, and the lack of any of these kind of events there either.

MLS is a lot like NASCAR. Rabid but narrow fan base.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we want to discuss when our club started to waver it was last year when they missed the playoffs. Sure injuries happen but I feel like this was a huge moment. The fact that this club's front office isn't doing everything in their power to harness that energy back on this cup run is a massive misstep. Let's hope they do come up with a big announcement of an event and that it does get a good showing. The problem is... they left it very late. Lots of people that had interest have already committed to other places by now which means their turnout could be from fairweatherfans. I'll be in Seattle. Lets get this W and worry about the parade after. GO TFC.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think not having a home game in the later stages of the playoffs has been a huge contributor to the lack of interest / hype we are seeing this year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The lack of media interest is hardly a surprise we all know we have to fight for any coverage, we'll always be the outsiders. I don't care anymore what I know is that thousands of us will be watching this game whether at home, bars and pubs or in Seattle and every TFC fan I see Sunday pre-game is getting a high five, post game you may get hugs

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The MLS Cup and the league in general in many ways is still an in stadium experience for most including here in Toronto. Beyond the supporter groups and some that care most are just not vested in this club 24 7. Someone cares about something or they do not, you can not hit them over the head to care and that is reflected in the approach MLSE and others take to this. It does not look good and can become costly if you having events that few are attending, the 2017 Grey Cup week was an example of that.

If you are talking about what MLSE is doing, you also have to consider that MLSE internally from one department can have issues with another. I have seen that with my own eyes and an example of that is TFC and Real Sports, where its being tweeted out that a viewing party is going and RS seems to not being completely on the same page. I have seen that more than a few times. There is a reason why not every TFC team viewing event is held there, they know their place.

Yeah, I see that Red CB - good point.

There's way of doing this, and there's ways of creating game day buzz when the team isn't at home - North American sports teams outside of the NFL are particularly BAD at that. In this town, for this sport, this could be developed. And this Sunday is a good place to start - just dissapointed the team has been completely silent about the fans left here.
    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    The depth of interest just isn’t there.

I am struck by the contrast between the frenzy for tickets in Seattle, and the lack of any of these kind of events there either.

MLS is a lot like NASCAR. Rabid but narrow fan base.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!