Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RaveGreen View Post
    I just wanted to thank you guys for coming out to our city. Before the game I wished several of you good luck and looked forward to good football. Your team played some excellent football during the first half and were clearly better at passing which kinda threw our team off at first because we're usually the better team at passing particularly at home. Schmetzer clearly had prepared the team to come out swinging but your guys didn't really let us do much of that in the first half, though we had some excellent chances. I know its cliche but football is a tale of two halves and since Schmetzer took over for Sigi he has been very good with his halftime locker room talks and changes. This game was no exception. We've seen the Sounders win many games this way since he took over. It almost doesn't matter what players he has on the pitch. Schmetzer is from Seattle, his family owned a soccer shop for decades. He is a lifelong Sounder, he played for the club as a teenager in the NASL back in the 80s, coached the USL Sounders to championships and most of us thought he was going to be the head coach when the MLS team was announced. He has also been a lifelong ECS member. Greg Vanney may be superior tactics wise but Schemtzer is a brilliant man manager and a loved figure throughout the city and state.

Your team is good but just needs that extra x-factor up top. If you had that you probably would have won this game.

We've been spoiled in that we always replace our attacking talent with as good or better so when players like Obafemi Martins and Nelson Valdez and Clint Dempsey were gone we got guys like Lodeiro from the Uruguay national team, Rodriguez (who had Barcelona youth experience), Ruidiaz who won the golden boot in Liga MX. Now there are rumors Luis Suarez may join his friend Lodeiro in Seattle:

Pozeulo is a hell of a player. Good LORD! We were lucky Altidore was injured but we don't rate Omar Gonzalez as highly as you do as he is prone to mistakes and we call him "derpy" due to how he can get exposed at times so I for one was happy he started over Ciman. I think if Altidore and Ciman could have started for you we'd have gone to extra time probably at 2-2. Then who knows what would have happened? Thats football though. It's why we love and hate the game at the same time.

Speaking of love, we have nothing but love for your supporters and fans. Got some pics with some of you too. Also there was one point I could here the Dichio song being sung loudly. Your supporters are the class of the fans from the East and despite all the stuff MLS TV tries to tell us (over and over) about Atlanta and LAFC being some new era of MLS we will never forget that you guys set the example for what MLS could be, before Cascadia entered the league and that allowed us to bring our passion into MLS to the fullest without restrictions! For that I for one am grateful. Hope you enjoyed your stay in Seattle (minus the result), and the free Macklemore concert in the square before the massive march to the match. Hope you liked our full stadium tifo that ECS organized. It was the first time ECS did a whole stadium tifo display. Hope you liked hearing the original "Boom Boom Clap" with close to 70,000 as well. Most of all, I hope we can meet again next year.

Let's just keep this cup between us. Two great cities, two great towers, two great clubs, two great teams, two great supporter bases, two great coaches, two future dynasties. Eternal Blue, Forever Green see you next year.
    Decent of you. Thanks....until next November!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Viewership numbers for the MLS Cup are in... It's down from 2016 and 2017 MLS Cup numbers and lower than CFL Semi-Finals from Sunday. Of course, having the game on Sunday afternoon will affect the numbers with increased sporting events and the lack of promotion by MLSE, Rogers/Bell didn't help the numbers.

Source: https://twitter.com/EdwinGames4/stat...029089280?s=09

MLS Cup 2019 Draws 748,000 viewers on TSN in Canada game faced similar competition window vs NFL and CFL semi-final Rounds
    2016-1.5m
    2017-1.3m
    2019-748k

https://3downnation.com/2019/11/12/c...draws-mls-cup/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pfk View Post
    Viewership numbers for the MLS Cup are in... It's down from 2016 and 2017 MLS Cup numbers and lower than CFL Semi-Finals from Sunday. Of course, having the game on Sunday afternoon will affect the numbers with increased sporting events and the lack of promotion by MLSE, Rogers/Bell didn't help the numbers.

MLS Cup 2019 Draws 748,000 viewers on TSN in Canada game faced similar competition window vs NFL and CFL semi-final Rounds
    2016-1.5m
    2017-1.3m
    2019-748k

I think this playoff format played into it too. I personally felt disconnected from this run just because we never really got to see them. I hope MLS brings back the two game aggregate series again. Really didn't like this format.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Viewership numbers up in the States

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We flew out Sunday night at 11.30(2.30 est am)

had inebriatti on the plane from Seattle and from Detroit to buffalo.

Flight was delayed 2 hours, suppose to take 1hr and 13 m, they got us to buffalo in 40minutes.

Drive was pretty bad into toronto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2016-1.5m
    2017-1.3m
    2019-748k

TFC's fan base is still relatively small and the team is currently not in fashion the way they were a couple of years ago. We couldn't even sell out the play off game against DC. Is there anyone under 55 who watches the CFL?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    TFC's fan base is still relatively small and the team is currently not in fashion the way they were a couple of years ago. We couldn't even sell out the play off game against DC. Is there anyone under 55 who watches the CFL?
    I feel having the team 'in fashion' has a lot to do with momentum. 2016 felt way bigger than 2017 and I seriously think it's because of the Philly game, which lead into NYC and then Montreal. That was five matches, three at home. I hate the one off format. There is no excitement to build. A game 7 hockey game is always going to be more exciting than a best of one. I'd love to see a shortened regular season and then a best of 3 played 3-4 times over (play-in, quarter's, semis, finals). Momentum would be huge. Have it go from September to October.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I feel having the team 'in fashion' has a lot to do with momentum. 2016 felt way bigger than 2017 and I seriously think it's because of the Philly game, which lead into NYC and then Montreal. That was five matches, three at home. I hate the one off format. There is no excitement to build. A game 7 hockey game is always going to be more exciting than a best of one. I'd love to see a shortened regular season and then a best of 3 played 3-4 times over (play-in, quarter's, semis, finals). Momentum would be huge. Have it go from September to October.
    I agree I hate this new format. The lack of home games after DC likely had a lot to do with the muted MLS Cup talk around here. Like it or not, TFC is still a gate driven team (as is the league in general) - lack of games will always hurt the attention

But MLS and American fans seem to like it - so it isn't changing
    Last edited by wopchop; 11-14-2019 at 07:43 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wopchop View Post
    But MLS and American fans seem to like it - so it isn't changing
    After the first weekend of the MLS playoffs (our one vs DCU), the MLS website was patting themselves on the back for a job well done for having an entertaining weekend of soccer. I doubt it will change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After the first weekend of the MLS playoffs (our one vs DCU), the MLS website was patting themselves on the back for a job well done for having an entertaining weekend of soccer. I doubt it will change.
    The Montréal - Toronto two game eastern final in 2016 remains the best sporting event I have ever attended

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Uh, we got to a final how again? By playing it quickly, which is what Vanney wants. For some reason, this team ALWAYS reverts to pass it across the back when behind - they shouldn't because Vanney has said consistently since he came to the team he HATES that back and forth across the back stuff.

Stuff happens. Own goal & we lost composure - not because of the crowd but because that happens to most teams when they go behind on an own goal after dominating.
    in reading this after , the letdown , it was Vanney who said he wanted them to pass it back and forth , east/ west in his half time interview and he was happy with that ....I’ve felt that has given us all the possession but not the results. RE the winning goal , simply shoot and things happen . We try to walk it in continuously. But don’t have the personnel , as in the past to do that .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    The Montréal - Toronto two game eastern final in 2016 remains the best sporting event I have ever attended

With out a doubt it was the greatest sporting event I have ever witnessed live

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what was the final number of fans who travelled to Seattle?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    With out a doubt it was the greatest sporting event I have ever witnessed live
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I concur, 100% best sporting event I witnessed. The 2017 MLS Cup victory is close second for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    I don’t know for sure, but I’d guess 2,000.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    I think Sections 300 / 301 were 25 seats per row each. Section 301 had rows A through to EE - so 31 rows. But rows A to E looked like all Sounders fans.

Section 300 was above 50/50, half being 31 rows, and the other half going only up to 25 rows.

If you look at the photo linked below - I'd say approx 1500 people total.

https://i.redd.it/uijxhwyu74y31.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Sections 300 / 301 were 25 seats per row each. Section 301 had rows A through to EE - so 31 rows. But rows A to E looked like all Sounders fans.

Section 300 was above 50/50, half being 31 rows, and the other half going only up to 25 rows.

My son and I we part of the congregation of Reds thanks in part to members of Red Patch Boys thanks guys.
    We had a great trip even with delayed flights and the wrong result but having seen all of the three cup finals I can say that this is a wonderful team to follow.
    This was the coulda,shouda, final just not enough killer instinct at crucial times.
    Definitely need some crunch in midfield and a true goal scorer ( Gio,Ibro,)type just to stay within the top five.
    Chilling with EPL etc for the winter while management sort out the comings and going’s.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was red outside of Sections 300-302. Hundreds of people not in the supporters sections.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats guys. Awesome showing for the club.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In case you like torture, a more detailed look at the game, especially the goals. I hadn’t realized in the moment just how poor Auro and Benezet were on the first goal.

This video actually made me feel a little better about things. It doesn’t seem quite as unfair.

Last edited by ensco; 11-18-2019 at 10:53 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    In case you like torture, a more detailed look at the game, especially the goals. I hadn’t realized in the moment just how poor Auro and Benezet were on the first goal.

This video actually made me feel a little better about things. It doesn’t seem quite as unfair.
    Toronto did Jack Shit in the final 1/3rd. You don't need a video to understand that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Toronto did Jack Shit in the final 1/3rd. You don't need a video to understand that.
    Because Seattle executed really well. Plus they broke us down on the goal, more than is obvious.

But sure, whatever.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Because Seattle executed really well. Plus they broke us down on the goal, more than is obvious.

But sure, whatever.

Toronto has had this problem all year long. this isn't just about Seattle executing well - which they did, I won't take that away from them. They didn't make mistakes, which is what TFC have been lucky to have given to them throughout the year.

With guys who can operate in the 18 yard box, TFC should've won that match easily.

This wasn't about Seattle doing things well to beat TFC. TFC lost because they had nothing in the final 1/3rd of the pitch.

Even Manning knew this going into the playoffs. Otherwise he wouldn't have told people about the search for a player who can create changes in the 18 yard box. It was clear and obvious this this is what was missing.

As for the goals against TFC - good on Seattle for capitalizing on TFC lapse in concentration. Again - nothing new this season. It's why we lost points over and over again this year - even in that 13 game run.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 11-18-2019 at 01:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing I noticed about goal #2 is that Delgado drives over to provide help when Bradley’s already on that side. If TFC can’t defend that attack without Delgado we’re already hooped, he shouldn’t have moved over. It was a stupid move.

Not only did he not get there on the challenge he also created a pocket of space in front of the CB’s which the Seattle attacker walked into and scored.

How he was listed by some as one of our better players on the day i don’t know. Thought he was poor in key moments (Saying nothing of what I think of him overall).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But sure, whatever.
    Agree to disagree.
    Not because Seattle executed really well, but simply because TFC did not have the needed talent in the final third.
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 11-18-2019 at 06:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too soon Ensco, too soon. i might watch this in January...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had no problem scoring goals, we were 6th in the league, we scored more than Seattle in the regular season, and we had nine goals in three and a third playoff games coming into the final. That's with Jozy only starting 18 games, and none in the playoffs.

This “we had no quality in the final third” thing ... that is what happened in this game, but is not the narrative about this team overall.
    Last edited by ensco; 11-18-2019 at 09:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had no problem scoring goals, we were 6th in the league, we scored more than Seattle in the regular season, and we had nine goals in three and a third playoff games coming into the final. That's with Jozy only starting 18 games, and none in the playoffs.

This “we had no quality in the final third” thing ... that is what happened in this game, but is not the narrative about this team overall.
    I won't say we have "no quality" but it's basically the same as 2016. We had the 7th best offense that season but when it came down to playing the most effective bunkering team, we couldn't get it done with what we had. Same thing here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I won't say we have "no quality" but it's basically the same as 2016. We had the 7th best offense that season but when it came down to playing the most effective bunkering team, we couldn't get it done with what we had. Same thing here.
    I think the results colour the narrative. Playoff teams pretty much shut that 2017 team down in 5 of the 6 games it played. You know what the truth about 2017 is? Kamara taps in that sitter and we are 2019 LAFC. Seattle also nearly did it to us again in 2017, let's not forget.

It was the mistakes at the back that got us last week, same as all year (as some have said). I think we would have found a way tied in the last 30 minutes, as we did against NYCFC and Atlanta.
    Last edited by ensco; 11-18-2019 at 10:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the results colour the narrative. Playoff teams pretty much shut that 2017 team down in 5 of the 6 games it played. You know what the truth about 2017 is? Kamara taps in that sitter and we are 2019 LAFC. Seattle also nearly did it to us again in 2017, let's not forget.

It was the mistakes at the back that got us last week, same as all year (as some have said). I think we would have found a way tied in the last 30 minutes, as we did against NYCFC and Atlanta.
    I don't disagree in general, a lot of things very nearly could have happened. If Frei doesn't make that miracle save in 2016 then boom, our offense *was* good enough. Or maybe in the 2017 final Giovinco gets a more generous bounce off Frei's leg and he scores off that brilliant pass from Vazquez in the 10th minute and we go on to dominate instead of the tight game it was.

At the same time what's actually happened is important though. We could have stood pat after losing in 2016 on the grounds that we made it to the final and lost a game we'd win 9/10 times, so we were already good enough. Not unreasonable. But we added Vazquez anyways.

Sure we made mistakes at the back this time, but add another creative player to our side for the first half where we dominated possession with few good chances... who's to say that doesn't lead to a goal? Then Seattle has to come out of their shell and press us and the game is totally changed. The results do colour the narrative, but that's not to say there's no merit to it.