Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I don't get protecting Bono at all. Who exactly do they think rates Bono on $380K? It's bizarre.

Miami acquired a USA U23 GK from the Quakes a few days ago. He cost them $150K in TAM. If you want a more proven option, Portland exposed Jeff Attinela, who has every bit as good a resume as Bono, probably better, and makes $187K.

I would watch Bez here. He is in wheel and deal mode.

Morrow is from Ohio and on $330K represents Deleon type value -the Crew had a big problem at LB when Valenzuela went down, and who knows if/when Valenzuela can play...
    Bono is still Generation Adidas as of 2019 season thus automatically protected.

https://www.torontofc.ca/players/alex-bono

Generation adidas players who have not been graduated at the end of the 2019 MLS Season and Homegrown Players (ages 25 and under –born in or after 1994) on a club’s Roster at the end of the 2019 MLS Season are automatically protected. Clubs do not have to use a protected slot on them.
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Maybe Bono still falls under a former Generation Addidas exemption? Or else TFC still feels he can improve and will have the chance to win his job back next year.
    No he's graduated, roster designations are viewable on the MLS website: https://www.mlssoccer.com/rosters/2019/toronto-fc

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pekduck View Post
    Bono is still Generation Adidas as of 2019 season thus automatically protected.

https://www.torontofc.ca/players/alex-bono

Generation adidas players who have not been graduated at the end of the 2019 MLS Season and Homegrown Players (ages 25 and under –born in or after 1994) on a club’s Roster at the end of the 2019 MLS Season are automatically protected. Clubs do not have to use a protected slot on them.
    I think he has graduated.

btw great seeing you in Seattle, pekduck!
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems like it's a pretty forgone conclusion that Morrow is picked up the guy goes to 4 finals and he's not protected I was there when he scored a hat trick at home against the RBNY to clinch the supporters shield. I really wonder why Bono wasn't put on the unprotected list I hate these stupid expansion drafts. Now he has to start over on a shit team. Can he not report and then be signed back? This is really a good way to treat one of your backbone of a guy who helps you go to four finals, Someone start the Justin Morrow appreciation thread... and lets try and make it at least 5 pages....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by matteo30 View Post
    It seems like it's a pretty forgone conclusion that Morrow is picked up the guy goes to 4 finals and he's not protected I was there when he scored a hat trick at home against the RBNY to clinch the supporters shield. I really wonder why Bono wasn't put on the unprotected list I hate these stupid expansion drafts. Now he has to start over on a shit team. Can he not report and then be signed back? This is really a good way to treat one of your backbone of a guy who helps you go to four finals, Someone start the Justin Morrow appreciation thread... and lets try and make it at least 5 pages....
    Sorry but Morrow has slowed down too much lately and/plus offers too little going forward, and of course the tendency will just get accentuated as the years are going by.
    IMO at the same price there can be found a more useful player for TFC at that position.

I appreciate Morrow and all that, and this also goes for all the players who were better or a lot better for TFC when they were in "form", and contributed huge to big things realized by the team. But... this is a result oriented business, and past performance has to never ever be the main/deciding reason why a player is kept or not if at prezent he's not who once was, there are very slim chances he will ever be, and there are to be found better options.

I know a lots of you will disagree, but I also know a lots of you will agree with this kind of mentality of managing/building a football team.
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 11-19-2019 at 05:41 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Morrow still has at least a year left. I didn’t really see the “he's slowing down” thing. Maybe a little. We haven’t used him charging down the wing 10 times a game like we did in 2017 in the 3-5-2, but I bet he can still be a starter in this league for another year or two.

Looking at various mock drafts, a bunch have him going first or second, a bunch don’t have him moving at all. There are other decent defenders available.... I think he goes just because of pedigree, he is a champion, every new team needs one or two of those.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I was looking for a LB in this draft, I'd take LAFC's El-Munir over Morrow (though I'm unsure of his contract status). Not nearly as accomplished but offers more upside at this point I think.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would be very surprised if the deal for Chapman to Miami didn't include a handshake agreement that they not pick anyone from TFC in the draft.

While there's a chance Morrow gets selected by Nashville, I think there's more likely prospects.

Anyway, the draft is going to be streamed live on the MLS website at 5:30.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Appreciate everything he did for the club.
    But he has regressed, lost a step and could never make a cross to open players.

I think he had 1 cross this year and the rest were loss of possession or kicking it directly at the defender with no air underneath the ball, to be seems to be lack of concentration when making that final pass in the box.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I think Morrow still has at least a year left. I didn’t really see the “he's slowing down” thing. Maybe a little. We haven’t used him charging down the wing 10 times a game like we did in 2017 in the 3-5-2, but I bet he can still be a starter in this league for another year or two.

Looking at various mock drafts, a bunch have him going first or second, a bunch don’t have him moving at all. There are other decent defenders available.... I think he goes just because of pedigree, he is a champion, every new team needs one or two of those.
    I don’t necessarily think he’s slowed down but the requirements of fullbacks in this league have changed. He’s now counted on to defend better players than he was in the past and contribute going forward in different ways.

It’s noticeable he’s a step behind offensively and his teammates don’t necessary have a lot of trust to use him as an outlet. Defensively he’s still very good but you have to take that with a grain of salt because he’s very conservative with his positioning.

I could go either way. We might have one more year left but we also need to consider how the team needs to evolve. MLS won’t stop changing just because we have.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 11-19-2019 at 09:44 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I don’t necessarily think he’s slowed down but the requirements of fullbacks in this league have changed. He’s now counted on to defend better players than he was in the past and contribute going forward in different ways.

It’s noticeable he’s a step behind offensively and his teammates don’t necessary have a lot of trust to use him as an outlet. Defensively he’s still very good but you have to take that with a grain of salt because he’s very conservative with his positioning.

I could go either way. We might have one more year left but we also need to consider how the team needs to evolve. MLS won’t stop changing just because we have.
    I thought tfc was at its best with auro at lb and richie at rb.

Morrow has an option for next season i recall hearing in the post season press conférence.

I dont think he will be picked but i think he will have his option declined and either take a paycut or go in the re-entry draft.

Endoh is the most likely to be picked today. Hes cheap, had a decent year and not too old.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by matteo30 View Post
    I think they protected Bono so they could trade him. There is a lot of value in Bono. A young keeper who's won a cup. I'm sure they could get back something decent for him in a trade rather than give him up for free.

I love Morrow. He's been a great asset to the team but he's not the same since his injury last year. He's aging now but he still has a lot to offer a new team. In a recent interview Bradley listed him as one of the leaders in the locker room (along with Moor and Q).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    I thought tfc was at its best with auro at lb and richie at rb.

Morrow has an option for next season i recall hearing in the post season press conférence.

I dont think he will be picked but i think he will have his option declined and either take a paycut or go in the re-entry draft.

Endoh is the most likely to be picked today. Hes cheap, had a decent year and not too old.
    The best football we played all year was the first half against LAFC and I think that was with Auro at LB. Having two fullbacks capable of stepping into midfield and moving the ball makes a huge difference.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Morrow isn't obviously going to Miami - unless they trade him.

They spend their first two picks on other fullbacks - Sweat and Powell.

EDIT: now it's three of four. Valentin goes to Nashville, but he will be traded. Hmmmm... could it be to us for Morrow plus something?

That MLS mock draft was a joke btw, it's basically all name guys and vets so far.

DOUBLE EDIT: classic. I type the above and the next three guys are off the MLS mock list!!

TRIPLE EDIT: No TFC player taken. Now we'll see if Morrow gets traded. (Three way with Columbus? Valentin to TO, Morrow plus some GAM to Columbus, more GAM to Nashville)
    Last edited by ensco; 11-19-2019 at 06:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we lost nobidy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    So we lost nobidy
    Right!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No one was selected in the expansion draft.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So far so good!

Let's wait and see who these trades are!

Edit: We good!

Guess that Chapman trade was to make sure nobody got selected.
    Last edited by Voodooman; 11-19-2019 at 06:20 PM.
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad we escaped with no losses.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rarely do players with big cap hit gets taken in the expansion draft.

Nguyen being an exception to this year.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a real message to us that our team is not really exceptional. They have been punching above their weight.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I got this one all wrong.

I am pretty surprised that Powell went and Morrow didn’t.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    It's a real message to us that our team is not really exceptional. They have been punching above their weight.
    We tend to overate our players. Like Endoh? He is alright and fairly affordable but you can do better at a wide spot than him (and we should). Morrow is older and also expensive. I expected us to lose nobody because there was much better elsewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    We tend to overate our players. Like Endoh? He is alright and fairly affordable but you can do better at a wide spot than him (and we should). Morrow is older and also expensive. I expected us to lose nobody because there was much better elsewhere.
    I agree with Endoh. He definitely improved since he was last here, but still not good enough to be a regular starter IMO. Solid depth piece though. The one big knock against him is the use of an International Spot. If he had been a domestic, I could see him being taken by one of the two clubs yesterday

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    I agree with Endoh. He definitely improved since he was last here, but still not good enough to be a regular starter IMO. Solid depth piece though. The one big knock against him is the use of an International Spot. If he had been a domestic, I could see him being taken by one of the two clubs yesterday
    Remember that Endoh wasn't signed for the longest time and couldn't get another club to take him.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have it on good authority that TFC made private deals with Miami and Nashville to protect their players. What those are, I have no idea. I’m guessing the Chapman deal with Miami was one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    Have it on good authority that TFC made private deals with Miami and Nashville to protect their players. What those are, I have no idea. I’m guessing the Chapman deal with Miami was one.
    I doubt they really wanted anyone. They just used the draft as leverage to get a protected player they wanted for $100K.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I doubt they really wanted anyone. They just used the draft as leverage to get a protected player they wanted for $100K.
    But you don't really know that either. People are gonna believe what fits their narrative.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    Like I said, I would have been surprised if the Chapman deal didn't come with that.

Nashville? I guess they could have threatened to annoy us like with the Lovitz pickup that went to Montreal a few years back and extorted a few Garber bucks or some "future considerations."
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto