Page 69 of 79 FirstFirst ... 1959656667686970717273 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,070 of 2348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Via KJ on Twitter:

GM Ali Curtis on who can play as a 9 if Altidore is missing: “We feel good about the roster. Data showed we operated in a high level without Jozy in the playoffs. We can play Pozuelo there and we like Pat (Mullins) & feel good about him now he is with us from the start of season”

🤔

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You gotta think if Altidore misses significant time again this year that the FO will be desperate to get out of his contract. It is very hard to win in any league without your top striker. Even harder when Patrick Mullins is the guy you are gonna trust to pick up that slack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was that Fraser with the amazing pass to Gallardo yesterday? It's hard to tell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    some folks do seem to have this stand that management don't know what they are doing and could do better themselves which is ludicrous because if they could do better they would be on staff at a professional football club, not some computer game.
    Yes.
    Last edited by stevep; 02-09-2020 at 11:58 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Just saw the highlights. I know it's only preseason, but we scored some goals off of some beautiful offensive sequences yesterday. Good start.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent comments Ensco, and let's debate about it, you always have a good pro or con stand on any signings, they are what I call objective comments,
    some folks do seem to have this stand that management don't know what they are doing and could do better themselves which is ludicrous because if they could do better they would be on staff at a professional football club, not some computer game.
    I love how some people confuse “let’s have a grown-up discussion” with “I play computer so I can do better than management.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think part of the issue is that a lot of this discussion belongs in the Manning or Curtis thread.

They have chosen a very tricky end of the swimming pool to splash around in. The guy was clearly a $4M a year stud 3 years ago at Valencia. But now he is a very different player, mostly hurt, surplus to requirements at a terrible team.

His value had declined a lot in 3 years. We all agree. The argument is, by how much? The people who are delighted across the board think 50%. TFC were willing to sign at 60%. I wonder if it is more like 80%, but who knows?

Like I said, this is about management. Go Pablo!
    Last edited by ensco; 02-09-2020 at 12:02 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Just saw the highlights. I know it's only preseason, but we scored some goals off of some beautiful offensive sequences yesterday. Good start.
    if Gallardo can do that in regular season, everything opens up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Pozuelo (no surprise).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Woolfe View Post
    You’re not a Liga star if you play for Espanyol for crying out loud. That’s a contradiction in terms. I really wish people would stop using Football/Championship Manager as a reference. It’s only a game.
    Aspas disagrees and says you can be somewhat of a league star on a right shit team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GBV View Post
    Aspas disagrees and says you can be somewhat of a league star on a right shit team.
    And three minutes later, he scores.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I think part of the issue is that a lot of this discussion belongs in the Manning or Curtis thread.
    From my point of view this is the signing that shows us whether Curtis has what it takes to put together a quality team. Unlike Pozuelo, this is the first major signing that wasn't mostly decided before he came or wasn't attributed primarily to Vanney's connections. Although scouted before Curtis came, this is Curtis's play, swim or sink (hopefully swim).

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a nutshell, that's sports for you. The same people would never dream that they could do a better job then their dentist or mechanic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    From my point of view this is the signing that shows us whether Curtis has what it takes to put together a quality team. Unlike Pozuelo, this is the first major signing that wasn't mostly decided before he came or wasn't attributed primarily to Vanney's connections. Although scouted before Curtis came, this is Curtis's play, swim or sink (hopefully swim).
    I still don't get this argument. Every signing is the GM's responsibility. To say that he wasn't responsible for all last seasons signings just doesn't make any sense. Unless you have some evidence you'd care to present to support this point of view?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Red View Post
    I still don't get this argument. Every signing is the GM's responsibility. To say that he wasn't responsible for all last seasons signings just doesn't make any sense. Unless you have some evidence you'd care to present to support this point of view?
    For Pozuelo, he had been scouted and the decision to get him was already made by Manning, Curtis was sent just to get signature to paper. Giving Curtis credit for that is like sending an assistant to pick up a meal at a restaurant that you ordered and then giving them credit for choosing the restaurant. Even if their regular job description includes choosing where to buy food, it doesn't mean they did so in that case. Curtis was like that assistant.

If you care to give him full credit based on the regular written job description that's fine. I choose not to.

I hope that this explanation helps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As critical as some have been about the way Piatti was signed, let’s consider a fresh point of view. Giovinco’s pedigree brought fans to Pearson upon arrival. Euro soap or whatever it was ensco labelled it as - brought fans to Pearson for his arrival. It created interest in an otherwise unknown commodity. In Piatti’s case there was not a whole lot to garner this sort of reaction, so I for one am not quite surprised how this was handled and I won’t hold it against anyone. Can’t freaking wait for the season to start. This board needs a jolt of TFC football.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    This board needs a jolt of TFC football.
    Amen!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I love how some people confuse “let’s have a grown-up discussion” with “I play computer so I can do better than management.”
    Let's face it, perception is reality.
    It's not what you say but how you say it.

Cheers

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    For Pozuelo, he had been scouted and the decision to get him was already made by Manning, Curtis was sent just to get signature to paper. Giving Curtis credit for that is like sending an assistant to pick up a meal at a restaurant that you ordered and then giving them credit for choosing the restaurant. Even if their regular job description includes choosing where to buy food, it doesn't mean they did so in that case. Curtis was like that assistant.

If you care to give him full credit based on the regular written job description that's fine. I choose not to.

I hope that this explanation helps!
    Piatti was on TFC's radar when Seba was around - so even if he does well, you probably won't give Curtis credit for this signing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Piatti was on TFC's radar when Seba was around - so even if he does well, you probably won't give Curtis credit for this signing.
    But he will be blamed if Piatti gets hurt or doesn't work out. That's how things work on here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we agree that if Gallardo does well, we can give Curtis the credit for that?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Can we agree that if Gallardo does well, we can give Curtis the credit for that?
    No - according to the logic around here the signing was too close to when Curtis started, so it probably wasn't his doing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Games can’t come soon enough. Everyone in the board attacking each other for things that aren’t actually said but are inferred. Holy moly.

Piatti could be amazing but clearly has a significant injury problem given they are using the Raptors load management doctor. It’s surely not unreasonable to say that. And as for Curtis, I agree with the idea that this is his first major signing - and that it appears he is a plan B or C - but the real questions to judge him are: can Fraser deliver? The hierarchy seems to assume yes; do we have enough CB depth? Is Mullins a good enough back up for Jozy? Can Jozy stay healthy? Should we have moved a midfielder to address other gaps like LB? Etc.

That’s how I will judge Curtis - the big picture - not just in this gamble. They know it’s a gamble, that’s why they low balled the announcement on a Friday night. And that’s fine.

He (Piatti) has amazing potential and seems very mature. Good. But the test of a GM is overall roster construction, academy success, etc.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 02-10-2020 at 11:58 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    No - according to the logic around here the signing was too close to when Curtis started, so it probably wasn't his doing.
    I find that unreasonable.

He took over a team that wasn’t performing in the prior year and that team had made some terrible personnel moves (Aketxe, VDW). If he walks in as GM and just says “ya go ahead, do that” without double checking it first, he’s an idiot.

He gets the credit for anything that’s good and the blame for anything that’s bad while he’s GM, full stop. That’s his job.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 02-10-2020 at 12:13 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I deleted that as soon as I reread your post..... me bad.

Valid point you are making.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I deleted that as soon as I reread your post..... me bad.

Valid point you are making.
    Thanks, sorry for the misunderstanding. I deleted my reply as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

He took over a team that wasn’t performing in the prior year and that team had made some terrible personnel moves (Aketxe, VDW). If he walks in as GM and just says “ya go ahead, do that” without double checking it first, he’s an idiot.

He gets the credit for anything that’s good and the blame for anything that’s bad while he’s GM, full stop. That’s his job.
    For me, he gets very little credit or blame for last year. Not his fault but he joined after all the major decisions were made or were in process, like Poz. Possibly the summer window was more his. Possibly.

This year is different. He’s had a year to evaluate roster construction, depth, academy etc, and look at our potential targets. I worry that they have been a little blind to our weaknesses due to the great run to the cup - so for me this year is a real test. Can they adjust in the summer window if needed is a big question as well as season opening roster construction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone know anything about Adolfo Ovalle? Noticed he was on the roster in the first pre-season game. Seems like a tfc II depth guy...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canuckistan View Post
    Anyone know anything about Adolfo Ovalle? Noticed he was on the roster in the first pre-season game. Seems like a tfc II depth guy...
    He played for TFC II last year. Chilean youth international that spent time with RSL IIRC

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

Agree with you