Page 60 of 79 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,800 of 2348
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Buffery is maybe not giving enough credit to Manning et al there. Those are legit points, he might be right, but without knowing the terms which Piatti is being offered, no way to evaluate this.

If he is the Benezet replacement on 500K, that's one thing. If he is a DP or near DP, that is another.

The biggest part, to me, is the mental/headspace part. The majority of MLS signings like this haven’t worked because the player just isn’t able to accept the reality of our lesser league, especially given the demands (travel, physicality/shit reffing)

Somebody mentioned VV above. We were rescuing him from a bad situation in Mexico. That was different. btw, even with the trophies we only got two years with him before he wanted out.
    Last edited by ensco; 02-05-2020 at 12:37 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine getting Piatti on loan for 6 months and then signing someone like Bruma as a DP in July. That would be some solid business.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Piatti at a TAM salary? No thanks - regular MLS Level salary with his recent history. He is more than just damage goods - he's a high risk pickup. You don't spend TAM on players like this.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm...digging into that 15 injury stat. This seems to be derived from transfermarkt.

Altidore has 13 (although transfermarkt didn't count his playoff injury). Chicarito has had 12.(Anybody see someone in the US ask about that?)

Piatti has 4 injuries from Dec 16 to Dec 17 where he missed 1 game - that was his most productive season. So 1/4 of that injury stats where when he was at his best.

People see what they want to see in these stats.

To me,

Him as a DP has to be based on what his skills bring to this league and team and his current fitness. There is a risk here, and Buffery is right for pointing it out. The BIG thing is the cruciate ligament -that was long and can play with his mind and his speed and turning ability. That's the risk, in my view, not the number of injuries. The amount of times he has had "muscle injuries" would give me pause too but that might be cruddy training.

Something to think about.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 02-05-2020 at 12:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Piatti at a TAM salary? No thanks - regular MLS Level salary with his recent history. He is more than just damage goods - he's a high risk pickup. You don't spend TAM on players like this.
    He had double digit goals and assist three years ago in la Liga. Only player in MLS to do that is Carlos Vela and the last time he did that was about 6 years ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    He had double digit goals and assist three years ago in la Liga. Only player in MLS to do that is Carlos Vela and the last time he did that was about 6 years ago.
    This is also an important point. He was a top La Liga player just a few years ago. Could have a very big upside. Giovinco was also not scoring goals when we signed him.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    This is also an important point. He was a top La Liga player just a few years ago. Could have a very big upside. Giovinco was also not scoring goals when we signed him.
    But Giovinco was 3 years younger than Pablo, and had no major/recent injury history, when he came to TFC. When you consider, all together, age, size, injuries, and recent playing time, seems like too many strikes against Piatti, for a DP contract with a club that apparently still has serious ambitions.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only Piatti injury that matters was the curciate ligament one. The hamstring strains and the skull injury are things that happen sometimes. It's all about how well he recovered from that one major injury.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Buffery FINALLY takes up the Larson role of sceptic. Do appreciate the Mariner scouting report - not too many journos do that level.
    The TFC beat has been on landslide since Larson and Molinaro left it. This might be the first time I've read a Sun article since Buffery took over, IMO he is extremely lacking as a journo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had no idea he played at BMO before. That along with his injury history, he'll fit right in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone going to the Raptors game tonight to see if Piatti is sitting courtside?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Anyone going to the Raptors game tonight to see if Piatti is sitting courtside?
    Do roller skates work inside the ACC?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing everyone should be pleased about is that by signing Piatti it means Curtis and Manning are 100% in win now mode and all the talk of saving money and using cheap kids is moot.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    From his updated article ...

"However, the word out of Toronto this week is that the crafty winger is in excellent condition and his health won’t be a concern."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    From his updated article ...

"However, the word out of Toronto this week is that the crafty winger is in excellent condition and his health won’t be a concern."
    Pretty sure the know how Jozy will be so they're not going to risk 2 DPs out for long stretches and that's why they consulted McKechnie. Not leaving any stones unturned.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buffery's comments would have been noted, so the people feeding him info will make sure to address them. Makes a difference from the years when x journo would say something and y journo (often KJ) would be fed information refuting it.

They could have made an attempt to embarrass Buffery here, for no good reason other than being ticked at him doing a Mariner scouting report.

Comms team getting more mature...maybe.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also just read a note that Piatti was named in the La Liga Team of the Season in 2016/17 which is a very nice endorsement.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    Also just read a note that Piatti was named in the La Liga Team of the Season in 2016/17 which is a very nice endorsement.
    Going back to last year, some of the best Poz YouTube clips were him hitting wingers running through channels without the ball. I truly hope Gallardo isn't snake bit because those two will be fun to watch.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    Going back to last year, some of the best Poz YouTube clips were him hitting wingers running through channels without the ball. I truly hope Gallardo isn't snake bit because those two will be fun to watch.
    Would be exciting to watch that's for sure.
    My only fear is we have a lot of small/timid players and the refs don't help them in our league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many times a game will Luke Wileman say 'the former Valencia man, Piatti' per game? It can't be more than 'Canadian international, Jonathan Osorio', right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    How many times a game will Luke Wileman say 'the former Valencia man, Piatti' per game? It can't be more than 'Canadian international, Jonathan Osorio', right?
    Does anybody know what his approximate salary will be

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soon as this Piatti deal is done then let's get onto a finding legit backup behind Jozy (not Mullins) and a 3rd/4th CB (not Zavaleta). If anything good out there offered then find a cheaper option than Bono and let's start the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to Wikipedia here's the assists leaders in 2016-17 in La Liga ... the Wee Man was tied for 4th ...

1 Neymar Barcelona 15
    2 Luis Suárez Barcelona 14
    3 Toni Kroos Real Madrid 12
    4 Marcelo Real Madrid 10
    Pablo Piatti Espanyol
    6 Lionel Messi Barcelona 9

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Soon as this Piatti deal is done then let's get onto a finding legit backup behind Jozy (not Mullins) and a 3rd/4th CB (not Zavaleta). If anything good out there offered then find a cheaper option than Bono and let's start the season.
    I think they see Piatti as Jozy's injury backup, I hope I am wrong though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think so too but I would still like something between them and Mullins/Akinola

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His talent level alone makes it worth a fitness gamble. And he’s played 200 plus minutes since his operation so it’s not
    lkke he’s a wilting flower. He used to be built like a little tank, so
    maybe like Jozy he carried too much muscle. My only fear is if his speed is gone.

used to be aces in football manager as a rookie way back when

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The injury history is a red herring IMO. Jozy didn't have a history, but now he's injured all the time. VV wasn't cleared to play in Greece, yet we got him and he was basically okay for 1 1/2 years (I know he has some sort of chronic problem, but they were able to deal with it).

Point is, it's about how our staff manage him, not about his history. Plus, fractures in the past don't mean anything now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't sign a guy whose succeeded at a far higher level than Jozy as his backup, it'd be a complete waste of resources

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    You don't sign a guy whose succeeded at a far higher level than Jozy as his backup, it'd be a complete waste of resources
    Piatti is no doubt a starter and main piece to this team, just don't know if he will be our third best highest player or our fourth.