Page 30 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    Something BIG is coming...
    this is a tweet from chris mavinga. what ever that means
    This could literally mean anything. Gosh I hate when he does this. I do think he's a good CB for us though. I hope we keep him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    mlssoccer is saying that TFC could hold off a DP until the summer transfer window, when prices are less inflated.
    Seba on a 6 month deal please

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    mlssoccer is saying that TFC could hold off a DP until the summer transfer window, when prices are less inflated.
    Translation: Curtis has failed yet again to bring in someone on time. Is he out to get Vanney, or is he not that good at identifying realistic targets?
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Translation: Curtis has failed yet again to bring in someone on time. Is he out to get Vanney, or is he not that good at identifying realistic targets?
    I think that's a bit of an overreaching translation. As was stated above, this 'speculation' is not anything official - it's literally just Matt Doyle guessing.

Besides, the European window only opened two days ago. It's unrealistic to expect something so soon.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could Pozuelo have come sooner? Sure, but I wouldn't say he's failed yet again.

Ali Curtis was hired Jan. 3rd to a team that finished 14 points outside of a playoff spot and had just lost a league MVP caliber player in Giovinco and a DP level TAM player in Vazquez.

By March 4th he had signed another MLS All-Star level midfielder. Since then he's re-signed a DP player as a TAM player, signed Westberg who became our starting keeper, as well as adding, Laryea, Gonzalez and Benezet who became critical parts of the road back to the playoffs and another cup final. I guess the jury is still out on Gallardo.

The team has consistently stated they are bringing in a DP scoring threat this window. He's signed a lot of impact players in his first year. What are the examples of unrealistic targets?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^I keep thinking Jozy is going to be sold. Starting with how angry he was postgame in Seattle. Then the Agudelo flirtation, which baffled me.

Bradley and Altidore have not helped the team sell tickets. TFC may have decided based on 2019 that they need DPs to sell tickets just as much as they need them to win games.

I think Jozy belongs in Orlando or Miami, ultimately.

Just a wild assed speculation on my part. I wouldn’t like it.
    If he had come in at half time they win that game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    Who is going to play left wing?
    Endoh, shaff, Gallardo and DeLeon. Not great but good enough for now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi10 View Post
    Could Pozuelo have come sooner? Sure, but I wouldn't say he's failed yet again.

Ali Curtis was hired Jan. 3rd to a team that finished 14 points outside of a playoff spot and had just lost a league MVP caliber player in Giovinco and a DP level TAM player in Vazquez.

By March 4th he had signed another MLS All-Star level midfielder. Since then he's re-signed a DP player as a TAM player, signed Westberg who became our starting keeper, as well as adding, Laryea, Gonzalez and Benezet who became critical parts of the road back to the playoffs and another cup final. I guess the jury is still out on Gallardo.

The team has consistently stated they are bringing in a DP scoring threat this window. He's signed a lot of impact players in his first year. What are the examples of unrealistic targets?
    We will have to wait to judge Curtis on this transfer window, obviously. He should get credit for Gonzalez Benezet Poz and Gallardo. Not sure on Q (or for that matter Poz) who we’re likely long term targets for the club. And Laryea is Vanney for me.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 01-03-2020 at 03:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Endoh, shaff, Gallardo and DeLeon. Not great but good enough for now.
    nevermind left wing...what happens if jozy goes down again...mullins...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was Matthew Doyle at https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/11/29/armchair-analyst-top-shopping-list-each-mls-team

He's not basing anything on any scoop or inside info … he's basically just speculating out loud

"Jan. 1 update: I'm beginning to wonder if TFC will do the Sounders thing – just sit on that unused DP slot until the summer window. Given they don't have a CCL title to play for, and they're loaded with productive and versatile veterans, it makes a pretty good amount of sense to keep the powder dry and avoid paying the winter premium. Maybe, if given a chance, Erickson Gallardo will make splurging on a DP winger unnecessary."

If we come to think of it .. we do still have all 3 of last season's DPs ... so is there a need to rush?

But I am also of the view that with no CCL this season.. we must go for it all with no excuses and that means coming out of the gate strong and not giving away points like the last couple seasons.

This is why I am on the side of the fence that says we need to fill that vacant DP spot with a worthy player before the season starts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    nevermind left wing...what happens if jozy goes down again...mullins...
    As much as I love the guy, its not a matter of "if" but "when".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not too caught up in the DP chase thing. If we get one now great. If in summer that's fine but I want to see the regular roster spots strengthened. We still need another CB and for sure a more reliable back up CF. These don't need to be big splash signings but at least players who can do a job.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    We will have to wait to judge Curtis on this transfer window, obviously. He should get credit for Gonzalez Benezet Poz and Gallardo. Not sure on W (or for that matter Poz) who we’re likely long term targets for the club. And Laryea is Vanney for me.
    Exactly, people shouldn't give Curtis credit for moves he had little to do with. Pozuelo was already a target, Curtis just messed things up so bad that we almost didn't get him by Curtis not doing due diligence on his contract status. I wouldn't give him any credit for Laryea or Westberg (both Vanney connections). Gonzalez and Gallardo are Curtis and were signed late.

Quote Originally Posted by TFC-Fever View Post
    It was Matthew Doyle at https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/11/29/armchair-analyst-top-shopping-list-each-mls-team

He's not basing anything on any scoop or inside info … he's basically just speculating out loud

"Jan. 1 update: I'm beginning to wonder if TFC will do the Sounders thing – just sit on that unused DP slot until the summer window. Given they don't have a CCL title to play for, and they're loaded with productive and versatile veterans, it makes a pretty good amount of sense to keep the powder dry and avoid paying the winter premium. Maybe, if given a chance, Erickson Gallardo will make splurging on a DP winger unnecessary."

If we come to think of it .. we do still have all 3 of last season's DPs ... so is there a need to rush?

But I am also of the view that with no CCL this season.. we must go for it all with no excuses and that means coming out of the gate strong and not giving away points like the last couple seasons.

This is why I am on the side of the fence that says we need to fill that vacant DP spot with a worthy player before the season starts.

If it's just speculation, I'll give Curtis until training camp to sign what we need: (1) a new DP (2) a better backup for Jozy. He deserves a chance to show that he can bring people in early enough so that we can have home playoff games at BMO Field, and hopefully win the Supporters Shield.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 01-03-2020 at 11:52 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I keep thinking Jozy is going to be sold. Starting with how angry he was postgame in Seattle. Then the Agudelo flirtation, which baffled me.

Bradley and Altidore have not helped the team sell tickets. TFC may have decided based on 2019 that they need DPs to sell tickets just as much as they need them to win games.

I think Jozy belongs in Orlando or Miami, ultimately.

Just a wild assed speculation on my part. I wouldn’t like it.
    Inclined to agree with others he's not going anywhere. Just not a desirable target for other teams between wages, injury and umnt hate.

Not sure why people hate Curtis so much. He's been ok so far not great but ok, still ample time to give him a chance. Think his previous stints and opinions about him have rubbed off too strong on supporters here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys with his strike rate, and record in the clutch, are precious. If he could stay healthy he'd have been back in a big league in Europe two years ago. The USMNT stuff is worse for Bradley than Altidore.

Altidore's market value is higher than most people on here think. This is forgotten, for some reason, from last summer:

Jozy talked openly about leaving at the end of 2018. I think we sometimes overrate the meaning of signing a new contract.

The list of MLS teams that would want him is a lot longer than Orlando or Miami. All the big teams would be interested.

I am still waiting for a coherent explanation on why TFC made a play for Agudelo, a 2000+ minute CF in MLS. (Don't tell me they were asking him to be a backup, that makes no sense, least of all to Agudelo).
    Last edited by ensco; 01-03-2020 at 12:55 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    He's not going anywhere. Plus, he and Bradley are pretty much hated by the U.S. fanbase en mass now. I wouldn't be surprised if they stayed in Toronto for retirement, the way they get treated down there.
    Honestly Orlando will love anyone who brings them success. They are early years TFC hungry (and bad)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly, people shouldn't give Curtis credit for moves he had little to do with. Pozuelo was already a target, Curtis just messed things up so bad that we almost didn't get him by Curtis not doing due diligence on his contract status. I wouldn't give him any credit for Laryea or Westberg (both Vanney connections). Gonzalez and Gallardo are Curtis and were signed
    This is too nuanced. Ultimately if TFC is going to make a signing while Curtis is the GM he should get the credit or the blame for whatever happens.

Even if he’s letting others make his decisions for him he ultimately takes the risk. And there’s nothing wrong with leveraging other people in the organization to get the right outcomes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am still waiting for a coherent explanation on why TFC made a play for Agudelo, a 2000+ minute CF in MLS. (Don't tell me they were asking him to be a backup, that makes no sense, least of all to Agudelo).
    It seems like it was a good move for asset management purposes. He may have been a guy TFC liked if he was willing to accept a lower salary. He has experience on the wing as well and there will be enough opportunities for him to play upfront when Jozy is hurt or needs time off. We didn't have to give up anything to get his rights and we were able to flip him for a future pick. Even if the future pick likely has no value, it's a potential player to compete with TFC2. I don't see how drafting his rights doesn't not make sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    This is too nuanced. Ultimately if TFC is going to make a signing while Curtis is the GM he should get the credit or the blame for whatever happens.

Even if he’s letting others make his decisions for him he ultimately takes the risk. And there’s nothing wrong with leveraging other people in the organization to get the right outcomes.
    Exactly. I'll always stand by this.

People were doing the same thing with Bez when he got started and there were doubts about him. Curtis is the GM, he's approving every signing we make, even if he didn't identify the target at the outset he's the one going through with it. He gets all the credit and the blame.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty sure they were kicking tires on him being a backup knowing full well it was costing them nothing to do so.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys with his strike rate, and record in the clutch, are precious. If he could stay healthy he'd have been back in a big league in Europe two years ago. The USMNT stuff is worse for Bradley than Altidore.

Altidore's market value is higher than most people on here think. This is forgotten, for some reason, from last summer:

Jozy talked openly about leaving at the end of 2018. I think we sometimes overrate the meaning of signing a new contract.

The list of MLS teams that would want him is a lot longer than Orlando or Miami. All the big teams would be interested.

I see Agudelo as more of a flyer with little downside. If he agreed to sign under the cap, great, if not TFC could get something for trading his rights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish TFC took this deal and moved on from this chapter.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I wish TFC took this deal and moved on from this chapter.
    Jozy would have to agree. I doubt his partner Sloan would want to move to China.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see Agudelo as more of a flyer with little downside. If he agreed to sign under the cap, great, if not TFC could get something for trading his rights.
    This. I think Ensco doesn't like that answer, but it makes perfect sense to me. And ultimately they didn't come to a deal, so probably being Jozy's backup didn't sit well with him.

I wouldn't put any stock whatsoever into what Mavinga tweeted. Probably has nothing to do with TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paul Tenorio

@PaulTenorio

Another nugget that could’ve fit in this notebook: #TFC goalkeeper Alex Bono is training at Barnsley for the next 10 days, per source. Several MLS clubs interested in Bono, who played just 7 games last season, should Toronto look to move him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He had an instagram post from Manchester earlier today so wondered if something was up

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I'm waiting for a coherent explanation on how you think the biggest spenders in the league and 3 time finalists in 4 years want someone as shit as Agudelo to be their starting striker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TomLawrence View Post
    And I'm waiting for a coherent explanation on how you think the biggest spenders in the league and 3 time finalists in 4 years want someone as shit as Agudelo to be their starting striker.
    I think in regards to Agudelo, the pitch would've been more of a hybrid starter/backup. With Jozy's injury history, Aguedelo would get his fair share of starts (injured games as well as games Jozy is held out of (i.e some turf fields, Canadian Championship)). Definitely not as appealing to him as a full-time starting gig, but he'd probably get maybe 10-15 starts plus another 10-15 substitute appearances.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TomLawrence View Post
    I like this tone- excellent off season snark!

Serious answer: TFC have a budget. Can they really just add a "name" $6M a year winger? They are already the highest payroll team in the league.... You could, if you were Manning/Curtis, use the Altidore budget dollars and spend those on someone that moves the needle with the public, and then with Poz and an "Agudelo" type, you might decide you were maybe in a better place overall for the same dollars... do a Seattle, stay at 2 DPs, maybe do a third in the summer, maybe not...

I am afraid of a thought process like that, anyways. My vote is just to keep Jozy.

(I just like pretending I am an offseason suit sometimes....)
    Last edited by ensco; 01-03-2020 at 06:44 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    This. I think Ensco doesn't like that answer, but it makes perfect sense to me. And ultimately they didn't come to a deal, so probably being Jozy's backup didn't sit well with him.

I wouldn't put any stock whatsoever into what Mavinga tweeted. Probably has nothing to do with TFC.
    These are all just opinions. You could be right on all counts.