Page 28 of 79 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    We've been down a similar road before and eventually lost out to Boca with Alexis Mac Allister
    Brighton signed him then loaned him to Boca till he gets his work permit. He's gotten a couple of caps for the Argies so should be in England next season.

But that was never quite feasible with his transfer fee and a lack of DP spot at the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Boca are linked too, their media has said Boca were quoted $4.5M USD. But wouldnt surprise me if the price for an MLS side was higher.
    That's pretty reasonable. We have never signed a teenager like this before at that age and that price tag.

It's unlikely he would be a big difference maker in MLS though at least for a little bit. One for the future. I'd be curious to know how TFC (and MLS) manage to sign these type of players without it preventing us from signing a bigger player. When you look at the core age of Pozuelo, Altidore, Bradley, Mavinga, Gonzo etc we are in "win now' mode, so this is a curve ball for me.

None the less this type of player excites me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    That's pretty reasonable. We have never signed a teenager like this before at that age and that price tag.

It's unlikely he would be a big difference maker in MLS though at least for a little bit. One for the future. I'd be curious to know how TFC (and MLS) manage to sign these type of players without it preventing us from signing a bigger player. When you look at the core age of Pozuelo, Altidore, Bradley, Mavinga, Gonzo etc we are in "win now' mode, so this is a curve ball for me.

None the less this type of player excites me.
    This doesn't feel right. I don't believe SKC, Columbus, and Vancouver will significantly spend more than us on their offseason DP signing.

This offseason, we've been linked with Bruma, Giroud, and Balotelli. Each would command a large salary/transfer fee. (Fingers crossed we sign Bruma)

Now, we are looking at Pellistri, who turned 18 last week. Don't get me wrong, I am sure he's a fine player, but at $4.5mm transfer and what? a $500,000 - $800,000 salary? Something doesn't feel right. Perhaps they've been pursuing options to present to the MLSE board? Both high-end middle career/older players and children from South America.

Hopefully, the CBA allows more financial freedom to teams going forward.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    Well the Gals had 2 DPs close to signing as of last night, although one (Martin Benitez) seems to have fallen through today. If they pulled them both off then they'd have 5 DPs. Pretty sure they'll buy Alessandrini out but still that's 4. Something is going on with the CBA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Well the Gals had 2 DPs close to signing as of last night, although one (Martin Benitez) seems to have fallen through today. If they pulled them both off then they'd have 5 DPs. Pretty sure they'll buy Alessandrini out but still that's 4. Something is going on with the CBA.
    Yes I think so. We can guess the details but I’m thinking something around allowing MLS teams to capitalize on player transactional profiting ie: they allow teams to buy 1(?) young player(S) aged 16-25(?) grow them, develop them and sell them ie: Almirón without the transfer fee for that player counting against the cap. Seems like the next logical step in MLS evolution. Pretty important to make money and how awesome would it be for a team like TFC or Galaxy to sign a young player and loan them to a team like Columbus? Columbus is more competitive, TFC could get richer, it’s a win-win. I’m just speculating but MLS teams need to be able to spend more money on younger players

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post

Don't bet on that's what the MLSPA is going to fight for.

Players Union cares for things that affect all MLS players. They care about things like raising minimum salary, more mobility in free agency, charter flights.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The DP fight is between owners who want to spend and the old guard - the old guard won the last round and might still - there are a lot of cheapskate billionaires coming into this league who don't mind spending on one or two players but don't want to spend on other stuff (Orlando & Minnesota are 2 examples).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Don't bet on that's what the MLSPA is going to fight for.

Players Union cares for things that affect all MLS players. They care about things like raising minimum salary, more mobility in free agency, charter flights.
    Oh that's not what the PA want for sure but that's along the lines of what the more ambitous ownership groups are looking at.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me the “problem” with the salary structure right now is depth (or the lack of it). I put quotations in there because it still feels like we’ve come a long way from the old days.

We need more mid range guys on decent money, not more millionaires or higher paid millionaires.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    To me the “problem” with the salary structure right now is depth (or the lack of it). I put quotations in there because it still feels like we’ve come a long way from the old days.

We need more mid range guys on decent money, not more millionaires or higher paid millionaires.
    I agree, they need to raise the floor and add more tam. I wouldn't mind if they added a young DP in addition to the three they have now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really appreciate that Nicolas wanted to be here. This tweet popped up today and says something about why I instinctively side with the player. It is more than a game.

https://twitter.com/futbolbible/stat...736407043?s=21
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep Ensco...I don’t blame anyone for this mess - other than MLs’ ridiculous convoluted salary rules. If Benezet loves Toronto that much...I’d still sign him. It might take the CBA deal being resolved - but I wouldn’t bet against him playing for us next year. We were likely unsure that Bradley would go for a TAM deal..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    But makes a whole lot of business sense when you're facing an off season with near total CBA uncertainty.

Main point, if we played him 6 times and triggered the buy then he would count as a DP under current cap conditions. Last reports were that Guingamp wanted around $5M transfer and if transfer fees were to remain amortized with new CBA then that would make him a DP.

Now imagine what people on this board would say about Curtis, Manning, and even Vanney if he played in the extra match and then we were stuck with Benezet as our big new DP.

Something like that happened in the last couple years with Orlando. Someone's contract was extended by accident (most likely Will Johnson).

https://twitter.com/cboehm/status/10...019584?lang=en

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    TL made that deal 6 years ago. For all we know it was not just active in the 6th year - easily could have been written that if the team won MLS cup twice during his contract, Bradley got the extension. Heck, I seem to recall Bradley's contract was 5 years, not 6 - might have gotten an automatic extension every time we won MLS cup.
    If I remember correctly, it was when Jozy came over. Media said Bradley had to re-do his contract to make the Jozy deal work. I can only assume that was when another year was tacked on (since I believe in soccer contracts can only be 5 years max, but I could be mistaken).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    My French isn't great but if I'm reading right I think Chris mavinga is having Benezet back in that same thread.

And as we know Chris has kinda been pissed off all year long.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    My French isn't great but if I'm reading right I think Chris mavinga is having Benezet back in that same thread.

i saw that,,maybe its time for him to move on ...im kinda sick of his whining every season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You’ve got to let this play out. There is nothing to be concerned about here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    i saw that,,maybe its time for him to move on ...im kinda sick of his whining every season
    They've already picked up his option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw that .... I had a long post about why I thought Mavinga wouldn't be back but his option has been picked up. He's got to learn to keep his mouth shut. He far too often comes across as a thinly skinned pre-madonna ... he pulled the same crocadile tears charade when VDW was cut. Just not looking forward to all his whiny tweets this season. As long as he focusses on the pitch we will have to live with his off-pitch drama.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I imagine players tend to stick up for fellow players more than agents and FO figures. Though he also seems to be implying that Benezet should stop having twitter arguments with fans, which I personally disagree with because it's making the off-season way more bearable

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Chris is a rebel and birds of a feather flock together - he also had GvW back as well, and we all know where that guy is now.
    Players are going to stick up for each other, some more than others. I'm not concerned about this.

Chris knows this is probably the best place he could be in. His next move, if he so chooses to make it, will be at around 29 years of age - if he plays his cards right and shows some stuff - he could end up back there on a half decent - lower mid to lower table team. If that's what he wants.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 12-31-2019 at 11:01 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All this aside I’d like to see the club linked with a few more players.

Namely a LB who could (eventually) replace Morrow and maybe something in midfield (in case our prospects don’t work out).

Also wonder if trading Bono makes sense. Clearly he’d like to be starting and his value isn’t going to get any higher playing behind Westberg. Grooming someone who would be ready in 2-3 years once Westberg slows down might make sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    All this aside I’d like to see the club linked with a few more players.

Namely a LB who could (eventually) replace Morrow and maybe something in midfield (in case our prospects don’t work out).

Also wonder if trading Bono makes sense. Clearly he’d like to be starting and his value isn’t going to get any higher playing behind Westberg. Grooming someone who would be ready in 2-3 years once Westberg slows down might make sense.
    Chris Gutierrez would be a nice Canadian lb to groom under morrow.

Bono has no value at his salary.

Delgado is one guy I could see getting traded for tam if they go in that direction.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I believe Bono is untradeable given his contract and form. He makes almost $400K.

The GK market is awash with Westberg type players at $100-150K.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Chris Gutierrez would be a nice Canadian lb to groom under morrow.

Bono has no value at his salary.

Delgado is one guy I could see getting traded for tam if they go in that direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^I believe Bono is untradeable given his contract and form. He makes almost $400K.

The only way I see Bono being traded out is;

1) if we send almost $300k with him to wherever he is going; or,
    2) a couple of teams get real desperate with form/injuries in Feb/March

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish people would actually read what Mavinga said to Benezet, before commenting based on their preconceived notions. Chris actually also tells Benezet to chill, and not get into Twitter debates with others.

Twitter/Google translate isn't too bad: "Let people speak you said what you had to say we know the truth time will do things in your favor you never cheated"

Not sure if "cheated" is a great translation, or that might not have been too clear in the original French.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... or for the right offer you trade Westberg if he's more marketable with his salary. Probably an unpopular opinion but Bono was a younger inexperienced goalie that made some great saves on our way to the MLS Cup in 2017. Young and relatively inexperienced = mistake prone. I wouldn't be against playing him. He made mistakes last year but to me Bono/Westberg = interchangeable parts. Take the best offer you can get if you need to clear a little cap space. Neither is head and shoulders better than the other. Westberg had a few clunkers last season too. In saying that, having two comparable goalies isn't the worst thing in the world. If you got rid of Bono and Westberg came up lame I'm sure a few people would be on here complaining about Manning/Curtis getting rid of Bono.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Bono decision is for 2021 (or whenever his club option is). He's respected in the locker room, learning from Westberg and better then most sub keepers - not nearly as good as Westberg is & untradeable at his contract level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Fair. Didn’t realize his pay packet was that much.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The Bono decision is for 2021 (or whenever his club option is). He's respected in the locker room, learning from Westberg and better then most sub keepers - not nearly as good as Westberg is & untradeable at his contract level.
    I think this is a good plan in theory. However I seem to remember from interviews or something else that Bono isn't happy with his reduced role? He may push for a move.