Page 22 of 79 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    The jury is still out on Gilberto. The guy was seriously just unlucky here. He could have hit 15 goals with us that season.
    True. I liked him always. But he didn’t set the world on fire in Chicago either.

Aketxe was unlucky too, imho.

I am just saying a lot of these types of players wash out. Or get marked into oblivion in the playoffs (Exhibit A for this was Mitrica against us.)

This is a weird league. The refs, the travel, the weird stadiums, a lot of players just don’t get comfortable. Spending $10-15M (transfer plus salary) is not the same as spending $25M+ on Pozo. It is a market with serious risk.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-22-2019 at 03:57 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I would take Gio back as a DP for two years max. In a flash. I don’t need to think much about that.

All you guys who want some younger DP, remember that the washout/problem risk on internationals is high. This isn’t easy. Remember Defoe and Aketxe? Every team in the league has multiple failures on that type of player.
    The Seba thing isn't a terrible idea as a stop-gap. From the outside looking in, the DP market is pretty shitty right now. Seba on a 1 and a half year deal would take us to the 2021 Summer Window, which should be a way better market to shop in. You could sign a guy on a pre-contract for that summer and still have a DP (Seba) before he comes here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True. I liked him always. But he didn’t set the world on fire in Chicago either.

Aketxe was unlucky too, imho.

I am just saying a lot of these types of players wash out. Or get marked into oblivion in the playoffs (Exhibit A for this was Mitrica against us.)

This is a weird league. The refs, the travel, the weird stadiums, a lot of players just don’t get comfortable. Spending $10-15M (transfer plus salary) is not the same as spending $25M+ on Pozo. It is a market with serious risk.
    To be fair, Chicago was a shitshow.

Aketxe had obvious ability, but never really meshed with the squad or style.

I agree with your secondary points. I think the want to sign a younger DP right now has a lot do with ensuring we have the right mix of players to keep winning. I'm worried about leaving the goalscoring to an unreliable pair of guys. Jozy scores, but is often injured, which means the guy that comes in needs to be extremely fit and capable. Signing an older guy, even Seba, comes with risks of injury and regression.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sold on Seba being all that good anymore. This FO is willing to spend relatively big money to bring in a decent attacking player -likely somebody with pace, an issue we had last season. We have heard little about 21 year olds and more about 25-29. Seba, to me, is regression from what we could have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forget his history, imagine signing a 33 year old who scored 5 goals last year in the saudi league ? Might as well sign BWP if were going for someone who was good two years ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    What did Marky say in his Instagram post?
    [instagram]https://www.instagram.com/p/B6JOjO4pJbC/[/instagram]
    "Future is unclear but calm as ever 😌👋🏼 #lovethisgame"

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Forget his history, imagine signing a 33 year old who scored 5 goals last year in the saudi league ? Might as well sign BWP if were going for someone who was good two years ago.
    Watched Gios team this past week have no problem saying they would beat TFC every day of the week. Saudi leaugue is not as bad as you like to think!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NOMOTFCBSFROMFO View Post
    Watched Gios team this past week have no problem saying they would beat TFC every day of the week. Saudi leaugue is not as bad as you like to think!
    OK... right.

No reflection on Seba, I've seen the Saudi league too, it's below MLS once you get beyond the top 2-3 players on a team. However I don't know how people expect Seba to knock in goals when the players around him don't give him service. So it's no reflection on how he'd currently do at TFC with Pozo passing to him. I think he'd still be at a DP level and score at a decent clip.

Whether he's the best choice with only one DP slot free is another question. I don't really have an opinion on that.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    OK... right.

No reflection on Seba, I've seen the Saudi league too, it's below MLS once you get beyond the top 2-3 players on a team. However I don't know how people expect Seba to knock in goals when the players around him don't give him service. So it's no reflection on how he'd currently do at TFC with Pozo passing to him. I think he'd still be at a DP level and score at a decent clip.

Whether he's the best choice with only one DP slot free is another question. I don't really have an opinion on that.
    We both agree that Seba would score at a decent clip! But what really is MLS after you take away a few DPS? Just a glorified American college League.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We both agree that Seba would score at a decent clip! But what really is MLS after you take away a few DPS? Just a glorified American college League.
    You need to drop the hyperbole as I previously said, you come across as trolling with this.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 12-22-2019 at 09:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to agree with this, some of those teams are pretty good. And Al Hilal didn't win AFC Champions League playing like shit. The whole of the AFC is vastly underrated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry but that's a load of nonsense - not even worthy of discussion - if you want to discuss the league and it's initiatives, most certainly, but this hyperbole has no other purpose but to antagonize...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to agree with this, some of those teams are pretty good. And Al Hilal didn't win AFC Champions League playing like shit. The whole of the AFC is vastly underrated.

some of those teams may be good but there is NO WAY they would beat MLS teams everyday of the week - pure antagonistic nonsense ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    some of those teams may be good but there is NO WAY they would beat MLS teams everyday of the week - pure antagonistic nonsense ...
    Not all of them. Just Al Hilal beating us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marky and Bono are our two biggest assets. If we need more TAM or to move up in the allocation order, those two are going to have to be used as trade bait.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not all of them. Just Al Hilal beating us.

i highly doubt they'd be beating us everyday of the week ... no way ....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marky moving also gives more options to move Frasier into the lineup.

Bono to me is still a work in progress - his best years will be in 2024+ - Bez pooched that wage increase after 2017 thinking Bono was all league class. But I'm not sure we do better getting rid of him given we are then 1 injury away from real uncertainty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mesut Ozil is now available and most of his suitors in Europe will not touch him out of fear of communist China. If MLSE don't feel the need to bow down to China, he makes for a younger and better version of Giovinco. Play him next to Altidore and drop Pozuelo back into a deeper role. Can possibly line him up on the wing as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Marky moving also gives more options to move Frasier into the lineup.
    Exactly. It actually makes the most sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ballerz View Post
    Mesut Ozil is now available and most of his suitors in Europe will not touch him out of fear of communist China. If MLSE don't feel the need to bow down to China, he makes for a younger and better version of Giovinco. Play him next to Altidore and drop Pozuelo back into a deeper role. Can possibly line him up on the wing as well.
    Oh boy.

This topic came up during last year's off-season. Most people seemed to feel it wouldn't and/or couldn't happen because his contract is too big, and because a lot of people think his work ethic is low.

I'm not sure if he really would be better than Giovinco now ... it's hard to say. It would really boil down to wether he was motivated or not.

But anyway, I saw a report he was going to Fenerbahce on loan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=backbeat;1914464]i highly doubt they'd be beating us everyday of the week ... no way ....[/QUOTE

Such a wrong, misguided comment, they would only play TFC a few times over the course of a schedule, as all other teams in MLS play each other, and you know as well as I do that this is a game called Football, and on any night it is anyone's game, have a great holiday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know, Vanney loves and trusts Delgado and I don't blame him. Anything's possible but I feel like he would fight to keep him in the squad.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I don't know, Vanney loves and trusts Delgado and I don't blame him. Anything's possible but I feel like he would fight to keep him in the squad.
    I agree with this. I would be shocked if Marky moved.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with this. I would be shocked if Marky moved.
    Marky is such a great value player as well. What's he on? Like 250k? He's not far off 200 pro games. Plus his experience in CCL and Playoffs. He's 24 with the experience of a 28 year old.

Besides I'm pretty sure he's the only legitimate box-to-box player in the squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crazy theory: Bradley moves to box-to-box, Fraser becomes the DM, and the third guy is one of Osirio or Delgado.

Alternatively, we just commit to actually making substitutions in the name of getting younger players time during a long (and often meaningless) regular season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I think if somehow the Gio thing is real, Osorio is the odd man out.

It kind of kills me to say it, but it could be true anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giovinco as a DP? What's next, bring back Jose Bautista because of history? No way he is DP worthy now...they have to go younger with someone entering their prime. That is more responsible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giovinco isn't coming back, get over it. Duane Rollins said they are far apart on money.

I'd trade Delgado if you get back a bunch of tam and could bring back benezet with the money or a similar player. Fraser deserves to play more and I wouldn't mind playing Okello a few games to see what he can offer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like Agudelo to Inter Miami.

Add back up CF on the list of needs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marky is such a great value player as well. What's he on? Like 250k? He's not far off 200 pro games. Plus his experience in CCL and Playoffs. He's 24 with the experience of a 28 year old.

Besides I'm pretty sure he's the only legitimate box-to-box player in the squad.
    All this is true, which is why he'd be the one who had to be traded. He has the most value.