Page 41 of 79 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 2348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I’ll probably be making this post every 4 pages for the entirety of Curtis’s tenure here but let me say this:

If we make a signing while Curtis is the GM, he should get the credit if it works out or the blame if it fails. The club doing diligence on Pozuelo before he arrived here or Bradley’s ability to recruit USMNT players shouldn’t count against him or diminish the credit he gets.

Ultimately, if he’s able to utilize people inside the club to do business, that’s nothing but a positive. Look how many stories there are of leaders that can’t get out of their own way or refuse to collaborate with those under them because they fear being outshone. He’s doing the right thing if others are involved in these deals.

Given his position, it’s ultimately his decision what happens or not. And if he’s accepting any less authority than that, he’s playing a dangerous game. Only a fool would let their reputation live and die on decisions they can’t control.

That said. He needs to be judged on what he hasn’t done in addition to what he’s done. And so far, that includes being pretty slow to execute on signings TFC requires, which has negatively impacted our ability to compete on several occasions. Last year “I’m new” was a lame but maybe acceptable excuse. This year, nothing of the sort applies
    that is what concerns me, and makes me doubt him. But its early doors - I am just "jury is out" "but please get a damn signing done because you promised one"

The reason I cite the Poz drama and Bradley's recruitment of Omar etc is that it reinforces my view that I should worry about his effectiveness.

I truly hope he demonstrates otherwise. Would love to see him here for years in that case - provided that he demonstrates the ability to grow young Canadian academy players which we need to do better and which has been stated as a strength he has demonstrated in the past.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I love what Poz brings to the team - i think he was an excellent choice to replace Gio on the pitch - however, off the pitch he hasn't gained the love of the crowd. I'm sure jersey sales are front of mind.

With that being said, getting that big name DP who isn't some over the hill European is going to be difficult. I don't want some guy who'll come here to live out his final playing days. I want a guy who could go to China or the Middle east after he's done here to live out his playing days.

Nicely put.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I'm perfectly OK with getting the right DP in July, rather than settling for whatever we can get in January. Sure, if we find the right guy in January, great, but if not, patience...
    Management persuaded me that its better this year to have a strong team from the beginning. Just waiting for the delivery.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Management persuaded me that its better this year to have a strong team from the beginning. Just waiting for the delivery.
    Yeah, pretty much this. If they don't get the horses, then they can't put as much pressure on the early season for success.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post

I don't disagree, but if the right deal doesn't come along, then they shouldn't force it. Unlike a big league, MLS isn't a premier destination and thus we sometimes can't have our pick of players, regardless of the money on offer.

That said, I want them to get this done, ASAP!
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can settle waiting for summer if needed but I do hope we manage to find a new prime Giovinco this transfer window. I want the buzz again around the team and star from the start. Consistent results and not the up and downs each week will further help that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reading tea leaves here, I know.

Based on this tweet, and various other guys saying things, I think the players have been told the team wants somebody ASAP and at a certain level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC needs a big name signing to make this team relevant again in this city. TFC ‘S only home playoff game this past season had barely 25000 people against DC United against DC and with Rooney playing for DC. That just shows you how irrelevant this team has become in this city when you can’t sell out your only playoff game and on a Saturday at that , think about that. It’s a good thing they didn’t win the MLS Cup that parade would have been embarrassing in terms of how many people would have turned out. Therefore, this team needs a Chicarito type of signing and soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    TFC needs a big name signing to make this team relevant again in this city. TFC ‘S only home playoff game this past season had barely 25000 people against DC United against DC and with Rooney playing for DC. That just shows you how irrelevant this team has become in this city when you can’t sell out your only playoff game and on a Saturday at that , think about that. It’s a good thing they didn’t win the MLS Cup that parade would have been embarrassing in terms of how many people would have turned out. Therefore, this team needs a Chicarito type of signing and soon.
    25000 is still a good crowd for MLS. The raptors have overshadowed every other team in Toronto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    I think this is a good point. We have became irrelevant for all but the hardcore. Although I prefer we sign a player like Pozuelo that helps us win, I fear mgmt may instead sign a big name that only sells tickets.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 01-18-2020 at 12:26 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    25000 is still a good crowd for MLS. The raptors have overshadowed every other team in Toronto.
    Yeah, that number only looks bad because the stadium seats 30k.

But would certainly be nice to fill it again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m definitely willing to wait for the right guy and I hope that TFC gets another name player too because it will only make the sport grow more.

The Seba signing was announced on January 19th, so we got two days!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    I think this is a good point. We have became irrelevant for all but the hardcore. Although I prefer we sign a player like Pozuelo that helps us win, I fear mgmt may instead sign a big name that only sells tickets.

if filling the stadium with 25,000 is 'irrelevant for all but the hardcore' then we're doing pretty good i'd say.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really hope management goes for quality over name recognition in acquiring a DP. If we can get both, it's a bonus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC haven't made a "big" signing since 2015 when we signed Jozy and Giovinco. Poz is an excellent player but his signing wasn't a major splash.

In 2014 and 2015 we signed Bradley 26 (Roma), Defoe 31 (Tottenham), Giovinco 27 (Juventus), and Altidore 26(?) (Sunderland). I hope we made this type of signing again.

Signing a big name or a player from a big team is needed to keep and boost fan attention. MLS Cup 2019 ratings were way down from 2017 and 2016 and attendance dropped slightly.

With the new CBA coming and the league wanting to boost viewership leading up to the next TV contract, now is the time to make a big move.

I was hopeful Miami would make a massive signing, unfortunately, it appears they are looking at Liga MX for DPs. (Which makes sense in that market)

I hope TFC goes for it and makes another game-changing transfer. Defoe, Bradley, and Giovinco were all those types of signings.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think when you read between the lines in all the interviews so far you can see they're waiting on the CBA.

If this rule of having one under 23 DP to have the two full older DPs is key. They may be waiting to decide on which of these "targets" to approach with an official offer after that rule is sorted. Also, that's a stupid but typically MLS move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Reading tea leaves here, I know.

Based on this tweet, and various other guys saying things, I think the players have been told the team wants somebody ASAP and at a certain level.

I read Altidore's comments as a talk track to MLSE. A backhanded way of saying "I love how everyone else is going out to get someone great but we're not, or better be".

Reality is, he probably does mean it in that he wants to see pure quality in this league, fantastic competition for everyone.

A bit envious of what everyone else is doing, but reality is we're pretty close to the top of the mountain as is... so we're not going to have the same types of splashes and jumps as the other teams.

Remember, as good as Chich might be, they lost Zlatan to get him... at most a marginal improvement on the field. Zlatan simply performed and was consistent - that's a big loss for them.

Our splash is shoring up the reinforcements. If that's done so there's no lag while we have injuries - we're still in great shape.

Concern as an alternate pure goal threat. MLS cup showed clear as day what happens when Altidore is out. Winger is not the priority, a top flight goal machine is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lets go get Bale.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I think when you read between the lines in all the interviews so far you can see they're waiting on the CBA.

If this rule of having one under 23 DP to have the two full older DPs is key. They may be waiting to decide on which of these "targets" to approach with an official offer after that rule is sorted. Also, that's a stupid but typically MLS move.
    It could be true, but it would be an excuse. The Galaxy must know they will grandfather existing DP contracts, otherwise they couldn’t have signed Chicharito
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luanda View Post

Really good feeling about this season. We've never had such a stable squad. We are going to start where we left off last year..we have depth.. we have a team that knows how to win.
    We are going to sign a top DP that will give us that little bit more. A healthy Jozy and we are going to be very very difficult to beat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So no signings yet? We lost players that need to be replaced. Other teams are upgrading their roster while TFC FO taking their sweet time to find players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post

We have to be the only club following this strategy then. I would only describe our off season efforts as laughable at this point.

We'll see how competent our journos are yet again, because if I don't hear a question posed to Ali or Manning about how they wanted a DP by camp and didn't sign one then I'll give up on them.
    Last edited by portu; 01-19-2020 at 04:13 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    We have to be the only club following this strategy then. I would only describe our off season efforts as laughable at this point.

We'll see how competent our journos are yet again, because if I don't hear a question posed to Ali or Manning about how they wanted a DP by camp and didn't sign one then I'll give up on them.
    They actually said by the end of camp, so they're giving themselves until the end of February.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by langilleski; 01-19-2020 at 11:14 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by langilleski View Post
    Is this to TFC or TFCII?

Guess this means PattersonSewell won't return. He was tight with Auro and helped him a lot because he spoke Portuguese

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He spent part of last season on loan to TFCII, made 8 apps for them last season.

Might be for there as well.
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Is this to TFC or TFCII?

Guess this means PattersonSewell won't return. He was tight with Auro and helped him a lot because he spoke Portuguese
    With the 3rd GK spot open right now, I would think its for TFC with the plan for him to play in USL unless needed.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL, I personally feel some are way too overconfident on the team where it stands right now. We need some fillers to replace the ones that have been removed. Moor's leadership will be missed. This team as it stands is one injury away from playing a lot of games with players out of position again which Vanney seems to love to do...we know how those games ended up. That is unacceptable. Every other team has improved on a significant level across the board...those games will be harder to get results in...and every point matters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair, we aren't in champions league this year and It's not like having a star player debut in negative 10 weather or a snow storm is an ideal scenario either. If we get a DP signed and ready for a debut in April (only miss 4-5 games) that is an ideal scenario for me. I'll be patient until Mid-march (another 2 months). Playoffs and CCL is what counts. We can manage just fine, let's get the right guy