Page 33 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    It is interesting, both the traditional combine and having the draft at the national coaches convention have been scrapped as the league and teams decided it was too time consuming and costly for what was producing diminishing returns. With the amount of money the league is spending on the international market good teams just not need to rely on cheap talent like they did in the past. Plus in the Reds case in recent years how many draft picks have contributed at all Who knows if they keep their picks what it may produce if anything at all. There will still be some diamonds in the rough to be found though.

https://www.soccerwire.com/news/sour...weekend-event/
    Yeah in the last 6-7 years, I think it's only
    Hagglund, Endoh, Bono and 1 game of Griffin Dorsey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Superdraft era for drafting young talent has passed. Players coming out of there are already in their 20s when most players that age worldwide are a more polished product. I think MLS clubs realize that it's more efficient to have players in your academy at a young age that you can mould to fit the team's style of play (assuming your academy coaches know what they're doing).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS site had us taking a goalie. Makes sense if Bono is going.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    The Superdraft era for drafting young talent has passed. Players coming out of there are already in their 20s when most players that age worldwide are a more polished product. I think MLS clubs realize that it's more efficient to have players in your academy at a young age that you can mould to fit the team's style of play (assuming your academy coaches know what they're doing).
    There's still the Generation Addidas players. Zero against the salary budget. Those are all gone after the first few picks though.

Not that I disagree at all that being focused on the academy pays off more these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Apparently will be joining Klinnsmanns revolution at Hertha Berlin
    jaysus he's only 27, feel he's been around for yrs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    just cos the team is shit, doesn't mean the entire staff is shit. Who is the goalkeeper coach there? that could be a good indicator of why he chose there.

UPDATE - Barnsley First Team Goalkeeping Coach: Kevin Pilkington

didn't say the staff were shit. They've a new very inexperienced manager, same with goalkeeper coach. Nothing wrong with that per se, it's at clubs like this where coaches earn their stripes. My concern is he needs to work on his distribution, that's his weakness. Playing for team bottom of championship with 2nd worst goals conceded record in league, where the team will not be focusing on playing nice football but lumping it long as they battle to stay in league, is not goiing to improve his distribution. Shot stopping, physicality, the championshiop is a very physical league, are already areas he's capable in. I feel he'd benefit from playing in one of the weaker european leagues with more emphasis on playing out from the back. Just my opinion....

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    didn't say the staff were shit. They've a new very inexperienced manager, same with goalkeeper coach. Nothing wrong with that per se, it's at clubs like this where coaches earn their stripes. My concern is he needs to work on his distribution, that's his weakness. Playing for team bottom of championship with 2nd worst goals conceded record in league, where the team will not be focusing on playing nice football but lumping it long as they battle to stay in league, is not goiing to improve his distribution. Shot stopping, physicality, the championshiop is a very physical league, are already areas he's capable in. I feel he'd benefit from playing in one of the weaker european leagues with more emphasis on playing out from the back. Just my opinion....
    I agree with what you're saying - just trying to figure out why he'd go there.

maybe thats the only place that'll take him lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get that funny money
    French winger Nicolas Benezet is in discussions with three MLS teams, sources tell MLSsoccer.com. He was on loan with Toronto FC from EA Guingamp last season, though the club opted not to exercise his purchase option of $500,000 and the loan expired.
    Benezet wants to stay in MLS and if a team could reach an agreement with the player, they would pay Guingamp a $500,000 transfer fee as well as having to acquire his MLS rights from TFC.
    Toronto have not yet received a concrete offer for his rights, per source.
    It's been an eventful offseason for the winger. Benezet gave an interview to French outlet L'Equipe in which he spoke of his frustrations at not returning to Toronto. A source says that the player was under the impression that portion of the conversation was off the record and, after the article went up, one MLS club which had previously been interested in Benezet stopped pursuing him.
    Just before Christmas, Benezet bid farewell to Toronto fans in a tweet and wished the team well for next season.
    Benezet, 28, joined Toronto over the summer and made eight appearances (five starts) during the regular season, adding two goals. He was an integral part of the club's ride to MLS Cup, scoring a key goal against Atlanta United in the Eastern Conference Final. He started all four playoff games, including when TFC lost in MLS Cup to the Seattle Sounders.
    Benezet had 12 goals and 10 assists in 86 overall appearances for Guingamp and has appeared in 130 Ligue 1 matches across his career.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get that funny money
    A source says that the player was under the impression that portion of the conversation was off the record and, after the article went up, one MLS club which had previously been interested in Benezet stopped pursuing him.
    Why would you even pick up that phone without a contract??? Benezet gotta take some of that L here...

Whenever someone says they thought it was off the record, almost always the info is disclosed before they expressly tell them the information is off the record or come back later asking them to not release it or wait till another time, etc.

Unless you expressly say "This is off the record" before you disclose, its up to the reporter after that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red I View Post
    Why would you even pick up that phone without a contract??? Benezet gotta take some of that L here...

Whenever someone says they thought it was off the record, almost always the info is disclosed before they expressly tell them the information is off the record or come back later asking them to not release it or wait till another time, etc.

Unless you expressly say "This is off the record" before you disclose, its up to the reporter after that.

Of course. But in the position of Nico, best to assume that nothing is off the record. Someone of his experience should know that. I like him as a player and as a person and I hope he catches on with another MLS club. Wasn't quite the right fit for us at that salary level; if he was just a slightly better goal scorer he might have been.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    Unless you get a kings ransom in return IMO you don't deal Bono. Q is definitely the answer now but at his age he's not he long term solution. i want to see a motivated Bono this year going balls to the walls to win that job back.
    This. The interesting thing to me about Westberg is he's been a backup for most of his career - he's had four pro seasons with 30+ games, one with us and three in France's third tier. We don't know if his 2019 form is a sign that he's a late bloomer poised to excel through the rest of his thirties, or if it's an aberration and he'll regress to the mean, or somewhere in between. To be clear I think it's closer to the former - he was so consistently strong in all the fundamental aspects of goalkeeping that I find it difficult to picture him significantly regressing, and I also find it difficult to understand why he's struggled for minutes so much in his career (injuries/height/off-field issues/bad luck with club situations?). I do think, whether it's Bono or someone else, we need a younger, rawer talent to learn from Q and push him for minutes.

re: Conway, he did a few broadcasts on OneSoccer with his wife in the fall. I wonder if he's thinking ahead in case TFC is looking to upgrade their GK coach

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Benezet was good in flashes for us but not consistent, which wasn't necessarily his fault what with being in and out of the lineup in a new league. I can easily see him being a productive starter on a mid-table MLS team if he does get more consistent

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will be interesting to see if Jayden Nelson is up for a first team contract this year. He made his CMNT debut Tuesday night and seems to have a bright future ahead of him.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mavinga has signed a 3 year contract extension

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7EClfxi..._web_copy_link

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mavinga has signed a 3 year contract extension

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7EClfxi..._web_copy_link
    That's probably the "something BIG is coming."
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    That's probably the "something BIG is coming."
    That qualifies as "big" I'd say. Glad to see him back. Still one of the best tacklers in the league, and a character!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    That qualifies as "big" I'd say. Glad to see him back. Still one of the best tacklers in the league, and a character!
    Agreed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by areathrasher View Post
    mavinga has signed a 3 year contract extension

https://www.instagram.com/p/b7eclfxi..._web_copy_link

<<<<<<brilliant>>>>>>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That’s great news. He’s a top CB in this league, when healthy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great news! I'm a big fan of Mavinga. He's also only 28. Big news indeed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe this will finally put an end to people speculating about his tweets, lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will be nice to have a solid CB pairing for a few seasons.

Assuming we can win the Voyageurs, I am beginning to look forward to our 2021 CCL drive.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait...how did Chris Mavinga know about Harry & Meaghan?!?!?!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So when does the team report for medicals and first day of training

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Mavinga obtains Canadian citizenship is he eligible to play for Canada? Does anyone know if he is cap tied to his home country?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    If Mavinga obtains Canadian citizenship is he eligible to play for Canada? Does anyone know if he is cap tied to his home country?
    Cap tied already ☹️

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post

that would brilliant but i thought he was cap tied DR Congo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I asked a similar question a few days ago - with no answer(s)!

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    So when does the team report for medicals and first day of training

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curtis speaks (note the sad bit about Ashton Morgan)

https://www.timescolonist.com/tfc-hu...cer-1.24048678