Page 62 of 79 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,860 of 2348
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    So no Piatti? Or does he take 1.5 or whatever the max tam is now. Or does TFC sign a u23 guy now?

Clubs will continue to have the right to sign up to three Designated Players in the new CBA. The league will have the right to limit the compensation for the third Designated Player to the maximum TAM Salary, unless the player is 23 years old or younger, in which case there will be no limit.
    That last bit is not set in stone yet. "The league will have the right" means its not happening yet. There was speculation this rule (which I personally think is stupid and short sighted and coming from spendthrift failures like Dallas & Vancouver) would not come into place until at last 2022. If that's so, we can sign Piatti to 2 years and then bring him "down".

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    That last bit is not set in stone yet. "The league will have the right" means its not happening yet. There was speculation this rule (which I personally think is stupid and short sighted and coming from spendthrift failures like Dallas & Vancouver) would not come into place until at last 2022. If that's so, we can sign Piatti to 2 years and then bring him "down".
    I would also be very surprised if the league steps in to block a deal that is almost finalized, even if that part was in effect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GerMc View Post
    I would also be very surprised if the league steps in to block a deal that is almost finalized, even if that part was in effect.
    Marky's a free agent

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djking2 View Post
    Marky's a free agent
    At the end of the season, yes. Fine with that - he's earned getting there for starting so young at Chivas.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Because his original comments basically said that the club screwed over Bradley in terms of his treatment. That the medical staff were incompetent and handled the injury wrong. He directly contradicted Curtis and Vanney's take on the situation. That's pretty damning. But he, as yet, has not provided any proof, and we haven't heard anything from Bradley about it, so we have no way of knowing.

So at this point, he should either keep quiet or present some evidence, and not hide behind some non-committal statements like 'I'm backing my guys.'

Because, sure, nothing wrong with backing your guys, unless what you asserted was blatantly wrong.
    But haven't we all thought the same? I'd love to see a comparison with the other MLS teams regarding injuries. It seems like over the last few years there have been alot of missed games. I understand that we also have played quite a significant amount more games than most MLS teams but a ratio could be found to compare this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TomLawrence View Post
    That’s not what he was getting at. There are people in Toronto who will come watch any Italian player whether they are better than Piatti or not. Same with Portuguese.
    that's sad if true

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    So no Piatti? Or does he take 1.5 or whatever the max tam is now. Or does TFC sign a u23 guy now?

Clubs will continue to have the right to sign up to three Designated Players in the new CBA. The league will have the right to limit the compensation for the third Designated Player to the maximum TAM Salary, unless the player is 23 years old or younger, in which case there will be no limit.
    Piatti can be signed as TAM, and then TFC can bring in a young DP as a backup to (and eventual replacement for) Jozy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    that's sad if true
    I know a couple people like that.

After Giovinco left they gave up their tickets and when we were winning late last year they said they'd only come back if we had more Italians or an Italian DP on the squad. Both were ready to jump in when Balotelli was rumored but are now out again. They also do not watch on TV and barely follow the team. They don't care about the team, only their nationalism.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Piatti can be signed as TAM, and then TFC can bring in a young DP as a backup to (and eventual replacement for) Jozy.
    There's no tam left.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post

After Giovinco left they gave up their tickets and when we were winning late last year they said they'd only come back if we had more Italians or an Italian DP on the squad. Both were ready to jump in when Balotelli was rumored but are now out again. They also do not watch on TV and barely follow the team. They don't care about the team, only their nationalism.
    must hate Ronaldo being the face of Serie A

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never understood why people felt that was the crowd that TFC needed to attract. Short term and short sighted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The potential for this is that we go to win now, and prepare to win in future.... sign a short term impact player, while bringing up and nurturing youth players and continuing to scout and find TAMs as required.

Jozy's DP contract expires end of 2022
    Poz's DP contract expires end of 2022

We just need to be ready to extend as DPs (unlikely with ages), extend as Tam(s) or release and find new DPs (including 1 younger) etc. We still have one of the best and strongest ownerships in MLS with a pull through benefit of Content for ownership, which few others have. It is to MLSE's benefit to have a winning club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Never understood why people felt that was the crowd that TFC needed to attract. Short term and short sighted.
    Oh I understand fully, as soon as Robbie Earnshaw left the team, they were dead to me. Now waiting for Gareth Bale or Joe Allen to sign and I can come again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully Piatti can still sign as a short term DP.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Hopefully Piatti can still sign as a short term DP.
    CBA not ratified yet so if we sign him today or tomorrow then he will count like LA's DPs will. If not then he gets $1.53M take it or leave it.

Also now it looks like a very solid move to pass on Benezet. Would tie up too much GAM on one guy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CBA not ratified yet so if we sign him today or tomorrow then he will count like LA's DPs will. If not then he gets $1.53M take it or leave it.

The new DP rule is not a part of this CBA - it is just allowed by. The start of it is determined by the league. All the CBA tells the league is they can do it, not when or if they have to, or if grandfathering occurs or not.

Until that point, teams are free to hire a 3rd DP of what ever wage they want.

So, Piatti can go ahead.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=OgtheDim;1916157]We play our first game in 27 days, in San Jose, against a team that likes to press, will be motivated to win at home but has some weaknesses.

I like our chances in that game. I'd like them better if we had a DP wide left. But anybody thinking we are crud needs to lay off the trade hype.

We should beat san hose they’re a lower tier team in reality . A lot of other teams have made positive moves . Hopefully we’re in the middle at best , definitely not the best at this point . Difficulty scoring . If Josie can be consistent, ? Or without Josie and/ or new attacker , it will be tough
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Piatti doesn't arrive on a six month loan to start I'll be surprised

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you followed the other teams and their strengths ? The best positive is that Vanney can’t really pick and choose which games are more important now and throw them away . We have to win from day 1 . There are some surprising teams that have improved . The weaker teams we HAVE to control . We’re not LAFC . Who will win it this year .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The new DP rule is not a part of this CBA - it is just allowed by. The start of it is determined by the league. All the CBA tells the league is they can do it, not when or if they have to, or if grandfathering occurs or not.

So, Piatti can go ahead.
    Nice Catch.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    We’re not LAFC . Who will win it this year .
    Not so sure about that. I bet they lose someone key in the summer and the west actually did improve as opposed to the east that's a mixed bag. Besides they'll have to get through Seattle in the playoffs and I wouldn't put my money on them to do that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Do we have enough TAM? There is a lot on Omar and Oso. I am guessing his salary is just under like 1.6 Million

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, Piatti can go ahead.
    Except... signing him is now a competitive disadvantage.

If six other teams use that third DP on an elite younger “Almiron” type player, but TFC use it on a much cheaper 31 year old winger ... well, good luck to TFC mgmt, because they are going to hear about that choice every. single. day.
    Last edited by ensco; 02-06-2020 at 07:00 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking of this earlier... What if TFC were to pay Piatti 5 million in year 1 of a 3 year deal and then pay him like 1 million for the other 2 seasons? He is a DP for this season and then comes a TAM player. Then we can go spend 100 million on Joao Felix or something.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Except... signing him is now a competitive disadvantage.

If six other teams use that third DP on an elite younger “Almiron” type player, but TFC use it on a much cheaper 31 year old winger ... well, good luck to TFC mgmt, because they are going to hear about that choice every. single. day.
    Yeah, fair enough - just to shoot some thoughts on that:

Is Almiron repeatable? Like Seba, that might have been a certain set of circumstances - Tito, new team, time to find the right guy and fit the team around him. Barco isn't the same level, no matter what the ATL MMORPG players say.

Toronto is more of a "win now" sort of supporter base. Growth is good and all but the big signings are expected to be for now, not to sell on. Maybe once we see it work once, we'd demand it, but not sure

Does MLSE really care about selling on? Probably but is that the play here for the board?
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 02-06-2020 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Barco not Blanco...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Almiron repeatable?
    I dunno. Probably only for those teams that are oriented towards South America and have infrastructure there.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we go U23 here next year, I wanna snatch up a Mexican wonderkid just to upset the Liga MX crowd on Twitter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RSL just signed an 18 year old as a DP fyi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This under 23 DP nonsense is going to backfire. It's going to put teams in debt when they spend 10M+ on these guys and never pan out.

First of all MLS is not known for developing young elite talent. The level of competition is to low, the coaching is inadequate and the general North American football IQ isn't high enough to push these players over the top.

MLS HQ is smoking crack if they think clubs are going to turn around selling players at 25 to Europe for big money.