Page 72 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2262686970717273747576 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,160 of 2348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Kloke has an interview with Manning out today (as always, paywall)

https://theathletic.com/1607485/2020...he-many-risks/

This tidbit

Lots of good things in that article - the Athletic is the best soccer journalism in North America - Kloke is doing double duty with the Leafs & TFC but when he gets stuff, he gets it.
    I wonder who it was. Pedro? William?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giroud. Makes sense. He wanted to play somewhere (Lazio) for 6 months to keep his starting spot on France, and his last major tournament as a starter in Euro 2020.

We were linked with him too. I also heard through someone I trust that they were talking to him, but can’t confirm this is who he’s talking about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah. I am thinking either Giroud or Cavani.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    The people who want to give Curtis credit for everything that's happened under his watch aren't paying attention to how the team actually operates.
    It’s Curtis’s job box though. If he’s passing the keys to manning it’s still his risk.

If our team flames out with bad signings I guarantee the fall guy will not be the person who also looks after the Argos and used to be the VP of ticket sales for an NFL team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    Giroud. Makes sense. He wanted to play somewhere (Lazio) for 6 months to keep his starting spot on France, and his last major tournament as a starter in Euro 2020.

We were linked with him too. I also heard through someone I trust that they were talking to him, but can’t confirm this is who he’s talking about.
    But they wanted a winger not a striker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    But they wanted a winger not a striker.
    I think they sold Vanney on this being a not so often opportunity to get someone of his name/level. I’m assuming they would have played a 3-5-2 or some sort of variation with 2 strikers.

As some people on here have pointed out, they have kinda made this 2 year period of winning with this core. And the FO were pushing them to get a “big name” this off season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    I think they sold Vanney on this being a not so often opportunity to get someone of his name/level. I’m assuming they would have played a 3-5-2 or some sort of variation with 2 strikers.

As some people on here have pointed out, they have kinda made this 2 year period of winning with this core. And the FO were pushing them to get a “big name” this off season.
    Vanney wouldnt change formations. in a 3-5-2 all the wingers on the team would be useless. I bet it was Pedro, they seem to like spanish players these days.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The people who want to give Curtis credit for everything that's happened under his watch aren't paying attention to how the team actually operates.

Manning is a bit of a micro-manager and is very aware of what Curtis and Vanney do. In reality, a lot of decisions are made jointly by the three of them.

Curtis is probably more in charge of signing academy kids moving to the first team, Manning does not seem to concern himself with that, although obviously Vanney has huge input on those decisions.
    Okay so then when we are slow to sign guys and if Piatti is a bust then I assume there will be no backlash on Curtis being shit or over his head here in Toronto?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Kloke has an interview with Manning out today (as always, paywall)

https://theathletic.com/1607485/2020...he-many-risks/
    I like his shoutout of Jayden Nelson. I wonder if he can work his way into some minutes like Shaffelburg did last year. Could be some opportunity there with Piatti on a minutes restriction.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just don’t care about Curtis. Manning is making the calls that matter.

One thing Manning does is a kind of gaslighting that rubs me the wrong way. From that article: "We’re a big market team and we need to act like a big market.”

He signed a guy in decline on a free transfer as his third DP. When, had we won in Seattle, he would have been committed to spending more on that slot. Bold.

I just wish he’d say the truth, which is: we committed around $50M in the Jozy and Pozo deals last off-season, and that’s pretty much the budget for us for those types of names. So we are trying something different with the third DP slot.
    Last edited by ensco; 02-14-2020 at 08:47 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I just don’t care about Curtis. Manning is making the calls that matter.

One thing Manning does is a kind of gaslighting that rubs me the wrong way. From that article: "We’re a big market team and we need to act like a big market.”

He signed a guy in decline on a free transfer as his third DP. When, had we won in Seattle, he would have been committed to spending more on that slot. Bold.

I just wish he’d say the truth, which is: we committed around $50M in the Jozy and Pozo deals last off-season, and that’s pretty much the budget for us for those types of names. So we are trying something different with the third DP slot.
    He fits in the new CBA. Also can become a tam player next year and they can add another DP. It's a risky signing for sure but could payoff.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He fits in the new CBA. Also can become a tam player next year and they can add another DP. It's a risky signing for sure but could payoff.
    Sure. But it’s a Minnesota or RSL type move.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Sure. But it’s a Minnesota or RSL type move.
    Welcome to the new MLS where mediocrity is mandatory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gentleman, relax, you are in the realm of speculation.
    Let us wait and see. Maybe you are right or maybe you are wrong.
    Let us see the proof in the pudding!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know.. seems like a signing that allows them to move on quickly if it doesn't work out, and yet also allows them to keep the player with TAM if it does.. AND allows for flexibility if the U23 DP rule comes into effect. Injuries are risky but the fact that he's 31 when the season starts is meaningless if it is not a long term commitment. To me this is a calculated risk for a players whose pedigree and quality could be a HUGE benefit.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaceyWinger View Post
    I don't know.. seems like a signing that allows them to move on quickly if it doesn't work out, and yet also allows them to keep the player with TAM if it does.. AND allows for flexibility if the U23 DP rule comes into effect. Injuries are risky but the fact that he's 31 when the season starts is meaningless if it is not a long term commitment. To me this is a calculated risk for a players whose pedigree and quality could be a HUGE benefit.
    Yes but many people were still expecting TFC to sign a player somewhere within the realm of Giovinco when he signed here -- even if in a different position. The knowledgeable fans understood that Pozuelo was not the replacement for Giovinco, but were led to believe more magic was still coming. Someone in the prime of his career, who can contribute every game; not somebody who needs to be load managed from day one. Note that includes folks who pay a hell of a lot more for seasons tickets than most of us here do, or at least did in the recent past. Maybe TFC were in fact willing to sign somebody much more expensive and more well known as written above; or maybe that's just spin being put out now to placate folks. None of us know that.

Maybe Piatti turns out great; maybe we'll be happy about the future flexibility. I'm hoping for the best. But as Ensco said, Manning is definitely trying to manage the message here, after we were first led to believe a magical TAM winger would be brought in last year; and after they really hyped up expectations (and season ticket sales) after re-signing Bradley as a TAM player and freeing up the DP slot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Manning is definitely trying to manage the message here, after we were first led to believe a magical TAM winger would be brought in last year
    Benezet and making the final not good enough message managing for you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both are true.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think Vancouver has much MLS clout so it's safe to assume the Hunt family still do and thus the cheapo CBA rules and numbers. Got to stop protecting the Dallas's and Vancouver's of the league or do a MLS 1 & 2 and let those types get relegated and live forever in League 2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that I've seen the contract structure for Piatti I really like the move. It would seem we have a win/win whether he works out or not and by summer we can either extend him below the DP threshhold or buy him out. Either way it could open up our DP spot as early as this summer for the signing of a young DP like Pellistri or whoever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djking2 View Post
    Now that I've seen the contract structure for Piatti I really like the move. It would seem we have a win/win whether he works out or not and by summer we can either extend him below the DP threshhold or buy him out. Either way it could open up our DP spot as early as this summer for the signing of a young DP like Pellistri or whoever
    This man gets it, it's all about options.

Imagine Piatti has a solid season and they pickup his option and buy him down with tam or gam and then you add another young DP. TFC would kind of have 5 dp's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 steps forward, 4 steps backwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This man gets it, it's all about options.

Imagine Piatti has a solid season and they pickup his option and buy him down with tam or gam and then you add another young DP. TFC would kind of have 5 dp's.
    Yes.... Maybe they are preparing for a 2021 CCL run with Piatti and Bradley on TAM. Pozuelo as a DP and 2 more new DPs. Sell Altidore and use the money for a young DP then bring in a Giroud/Willian type. We need to make our self attractive for big name

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    Yes.... Maybe they are preparing for a 2021 CCL run with Piatti and Bradley on TAM. Pozuelo as a DP and 2 more new DPs. Sell Altidore and use the money for a young DP then bring in a Giroud/Willian type. We need to make our self attractive for big name

Givenn Mannings comments about wanting someone else, its hard to believe they are that organized in their planning. Piatti is a roll of the dice that they are downplaying at every opportunity. If we get good minutes from him it will be a great addition.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty sure Achara is getting himself closer to a first team deal after scoring in three straight games including today at the Galaxy.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Pretty sure Achara is getting himself closer to a first team deal after scoring in three straight games including today at the Galaxy.
    Give him the backup striker spot over Mullens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deserved Red
    Nice goals
    Deserved Penalty
    Respect between Chico & Q after that one save
    Good to see

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pozo's ball to Jozy on the play that created the PK.... *chef's kiss*

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The core played most of the match plus Acahara. Wonder how many of the TFC II types and draft picks are still in the first team camp. Have not heard a lick about Nyal Higgins.

Toronto FC starting XI: Quentin Westberg; Auro Jr., Laurent Ciman (Eriq Zavaleta), Omar Gonzalez, Justin Morrow; Liam Fraser, Alejandro Pozuelo (Griffin Dorsey), Tsubasa Endoh; Ifunanyachi Achara, Jacob Shaffelburg (Ayo Akinola), Jozy Altidore (Patrick Mullins)

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!