Page 29 of 79 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buddies View Post
    ... or for the right offer you trade Westberg if he's more marketable with his salary. Probably an unpopular opinion but Bono was a younger inexperienced goalie that made some great saves on our way to the MLS Cup in 2017. Young and relatively inexperienced = mistake prone. I wouldn't be against playing him. He made mistakes last year but to me Bono/Westberg = interchangeable parts. Take the best offer you can get if you need to clear a little cap space. Neither is head and shoulders better than the other. Westberg had a few clunkers last season too. In saying that, having two comparable goalies isn't the worst thing in the world. If you got rid of Bono and Westberg came up lame I'm sure a few people would be on here complaining about Manning/Curtis getting rid of Bono.
    Personally I see Westberg as far ahead of Bono. Better shot stopper, better command of area, better defensive organizer and head and shoulders above Bono for distribution. I only recall Q making 1 error last year leading to a goal, and so rarely gave away possession. Bono is very error prone and just can't kick a football. He's young and will come good again, but he has a year or two on the bench before we see him as a starter again.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based upon other teams' rosters right now, I'd argue that now is the time to trade Bono, if it's going to happen. Well, maybe I'll wait until end of Jan Euro transfer window.

I count at least 5 teams that can do with a proven starter right now. Some might want to upgrade. There aren't many MLS Cup winners available esp at Bono's age.

I suppose a team can take a punt and try to get someone from outside MLS. Bit more risk in that, as European GKs historically don't pan out as much, they cost an international spot and require similar wages as Bono. Someone from Central America and Caribbeans have panned out more, however.

The problem for TFC is finding a good back up GK. A lot of MLS teams carry 1 starter and 1 almost starter quality GK. Finding someone who can push Q at a good salary is going to be hard. In that, TFC FO might want to stick with a known quality in Bono rather than go for a risk.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Red View Post
    Personally I see Westberg as far ahead of Bono. Better shot stopper, better command of area, better defensive organizer and head and shoulders above Bono for distribution. I only recall Q making 1 error last year leading to a goal, and so rarely gave away possession. Bono is very error prone and just can't kick a football. He's young and will come good again, but he has a year or two on the bench before we see him as a starter again.
    I see the comparison a little differently. For me, Bono is a better shot stopper but Q has better command of his area and is better (far better) at distribution than Bono. One would hope that commanding the area can be taught and that Bono can improve distribution (although I doubt he can get to Q's level on distribution; Q is quite above MLS level on distribution) and if so could be serious competition for the starting role. i wouldn't give up on him at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I said two yrs ago that Bono got lucky playing behind the best defence that MLS had ever saw.
    He is backup at best and at his salary if somebody offers snap their hands off!
    Q.Roberts was better than Bono but the powers that be at goalkeeping coach are at USL level.
    Plenty of goalkeepers around to fit the bill just look at CPL.
    Rant over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Q is quite above MLS level on distribution) and if so could be serious competition for the starting role. i wouldn't give up on him at all.
    I definitely wouldn't give up on Bono either, I just think he needs to continue to improve quite a bit first. As for Q's distribution, he is outstanding. I don't he he gets the appreciation he maybe deserves for it. Above MLS standard for sure, in fact I'm actually struggling to think of anyone who is significantly better.

You may have noticed I'm a big fan of Westberg. His signing I think was a major reason for the upturn in fortune over 2018.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by levyashin View Post
    I said two yrs ago that Bono got lucky playing behind the best defence that MLS had ever saw.
    He is backup at best and at his salary if somebody offers snap their hands off!
    Q.Roberts was better than Bono but the powers that be at goalkeeping coach are at USL level.
    Plenty of goalkeepers around to fit the bill just look at CPL.
    Rant over.
    Q. Roberts wasn’t even a starter this year for Hamilton in the CPL, so better than Bono I don’t think so.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I think this is a good plan in theory. However I seem to remember from interviews or something else that Bono isn't happy with his reduced role? He may push for a move.
    To where?
    His best option is to wait the two years, collect a boatload of cash, train to get better, THEN if he's still #2, sign somewhere else as a free agent.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    To where?
    His best option is to wait the two years, collect a boatload of cash, train to get better, THEN if he's still #2, sign somewhere else as a free agent.
    Not if he wants to try to be in USMNT and get to Europe.

Current US GK pool is the weakest in a very long time. If Bono gets regular playing time and does well enough, he'll be in USMNT pool. Maybe even go to 2022 WC
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Well the Gals had 2 DPs close to signing as of last night, although one (Martin Benitez) seems to have fallen through today. If they pulled them both off then they'd have 5 DPs. Pretty sure they'll buy Alessandrini out but still that's 4. Something is going on with the CBA.
    Theres a chance they allow less DP’s also , and raise the middle salaried players allowed in the TAM league but they may get rid of both TAM and GAM , maybe equalize total team payrolls . Fans and their wishes have never had any input on these negotiations, especially with this commissioner who wants big league soccer at little league prices and profits .
    But there is something in ‘special’ allocations for keeping , developing and selling ‘young’ upscale talent .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Oh that's not what the PA want for sure but that's along the lines of what the more ambitous ownership groups are looking at.
    disagree , he’s spot on , imho, but especially for young AMERICAN players , their future and the American national teams squad , Canadian players still imports in the US , probably receive zilch .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The sale of the Fire for a value of $350-400M is the seminal event of the last five years and has a major impact on the CBA.

Hauptmann in Chicago got a total free ride. He didn’t spend but got carried by the spending of others (the Fire broke even while TFC has been losing $25M a year), which increased franchise value for all.

If I am a TFC, a spending team, I am much more focused on a spending floor than a spending cap.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Bono and still think he can be a top MLS keeper. He does pose an issue of value when he's on 400k a year. If we trade him, especially if we basically have to pay to get rid of him, then I suspect we'd regret it. That being said I think Caleb is more than suitable to back-up Q next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bono was the 8th highest paid keeper in the MLS last season, Westberg was 36th.

(Tim Howard, Brad Guzan, Vito Mannone, Andre Blake, Luis Robles, Bill Hamid, Sean Johnson were top 7)
    Howard retired and Mannone was a loanee from Reading who may or may not return next year- I don't follow Minnesota rumours. Robles signed with Miami as an FA, so Bono will probably be a top 5 keeper salary next year)
    Last edited by rydermike; 12-31-2019 at 11:15 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    To where?
    There’s an argument to be made that he needs field time to get better. And while he’s collecting a good pay packet now, at his current usage rate (only six league starts last season) his salary is going to absolutely plummet when his contract is up unless he can show something special in the limited time he has to make the field.

So if you’re in Bono’s shoes, maybe a partial pay cut to facilitate a move makes sense. TFC provides some allocation and the other team pays just a little more than market (price of getting a deal done). Everyone gives a little and the salary goes down to a reasonable number.

Makes way more sense for TFC to sign Marco Carducci, who some people are suggesting has a higher upside than Crepeau and keep an older, cheap vet as #3.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright you Reds, Christmas and New Years is in the books, back to the grind. camp starts in 3-4 weeks. Hoping for a very active next 2 weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I predict something will happen during the period of Jan 17th to 24th as i'll be away with limited internet access

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't look like the Bruma transfer to TFC will happen:

PSV Inside
    @psvinside

Turkse media maken melding van op handen zijnde transfer Bruma naar Basaksehir https://psvinside.nl/turkse-media-maken-melding-van-op-handen-zijnde-transfer-bruma-naar-basaksehir/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter…#PSV
    Translation:

Turkish media report impending transfer of Bruma to Basaksehir https://psvinside.nl/turkse-media-maken-melding-van-op-handen-zijnde-transfer-bruma-naar-basaksehir/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter…#PSV

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kuku View Post
    Doesn't look like the Bruma transfer to TFC will happen:

PSV Inside
    @psvinside

Turkse media maken melding van op handen zijnde transfer Bruma naar Basaksehir https://psvinside.nl/turkse-media-maken-melding-van-op-handen-zijnde-transfer-bruma-naar-basaksehir/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter…#PSV
    Translation:

Turkish media report impending transfer of Bruma to Basaksehir https://psvinside.nl/turkse-media-maken-melding-van-op-handen-zijnde-transfer-bruma-naar-basaksehir/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter…#PSV

That sucks, I'm sure they out bid us. It says on a rental basis so a loan? Damn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something BIG is coming...
    this is a tweet from chris mavinga. what ever that means

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully not another big bloody deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edison Flores is on his way to an MLS team. Left winger from Peru. 7 goals in 21 games in Liga MX last year. 25 years old.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That article is a year old

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    That article is a year old
    So weird I don't remember that from last year.

Of course, it's still possible, if he's interested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont think Arteta would want to sell him right now. Summer maybe. He'd still cost 20-30M.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mlssoccer is saying that TFC could hold off a DP until the summer transfer window, when prices are less inflated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    mlssoccer is saying that TFC could hold off a DP until the summer transfer window, when prices are less inflated.
    I'm cool with that if they go after guys on a free transfer like Mertens, Willian or Ryan Fraser.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Who is going to play left wing?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Management has been consistent - they want a DP in the team by late Jan early Feb. They are not messing around this season adjusting on the fly like 2019 was. I'd put more stock in what Mavinga says then the MLS website - and I don't think Mavinga's tweet is likely about a player transfer in.

Edit - saw it was a Doyle comment - he has little cred when it comes to transfer ideas. Pure spec on his part.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 01-02-2020 at 11:27 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I keep thinking Jozy is going to be sold. Starting with how angry he was postgame in Seattle. Then the Agudelo flirtation, which baffled me.

Bradley and Altidore have not helped the team sell tickets. TFC may have decided based on 2019 that they need DPs to sell tickets just as much as they need them to win games.

I think Jozy belongs in Orlando or Miami, ultimately.

Just a wild assed speculation on my part. I wouldn’t like it.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-02-2020 at 11:42 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^I keep thinking Jozy is going to be sold. Starting with how angry he was postgame in Seattle. Then the Agudelo flirtation, which baffled me.

Bradley and Altidore have not helped the team sell tickets. TFC may have decided based on 2019 that they need DPs to sell tickets just as much as they need them to win games.

I think Jozy belongs in Orlando or Miami, ultimately.

Just a wild assed speculation on my part. I wouldn’t like it.
    He's not going anywhere. Plus, he and Bradley are pretty much hated by the U.S. fanbase en mass now. I wouldn't be surprised if they stayed in Toronto for retirement, the way they get treated down there.