Page 25 of 79 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    I'll beat that El Shaarawy drum again, but Arnautovic is a guy who could play out wide or as a No. 9. Hulk, despite his age, is a very marketable (and still productive) player. Carrasco is a left winger entering his prime years and seems to be getting some time at striker in China.
    Know Arnautovic from his time at Werder. Great player but a bit of a pampered prick. Not sure if he's aged well but if he hasnt it wouldn't be worth the hassle

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    if TFC signs a Carlos Vela quality guy for $7M every other team in the league might as well give up for 2020
    nobody would come close to beating TFC.
    do you think the league wants this? remember the league owns 1/2 of TFC don't they?
    They own the rights to teams and can decline on dp contracts. I wouldn't get conspiratorial about it tho

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if TFC signs a Carlos Vela quality guy for $7M every other team in the league might as well give up for 2020
    nobody would come close to beating TFC.
    do you think the league wants this? remember the league owns 1/2 of TFC don't they?
    what’s the difference between that and what Atlanta, Galaxy to and extent LAFC are doing? Also spending does not equal success. We have spent the most amount of money in the past 5 years and there is 1 title to show for it

i think the new owners want to spend and some of the long term owners don’t want to. Outside of NYFC we have the richest owners in the league spend the money.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    what’s the difference between that and what Atlanta, Galaxy to and extent LAFC are doing? Also spending does not equal success. We have spent the most amount of money in the panst 5 years and there is 1 title to show for it

i think the new owners want to spend and some of the long term owners don’t want to. Outside of NYFC we have the richest owners in the league spend the money.
    MLSE owners are media companies that needs homegrown content.
    Last edited by Bushmancan; 12-27-2019 at 06:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what’s the difference between that and what Atlanta, Galaxy to and extent LAFC are doing? Also spending does not equal success. We have spent the most amount of money in the past 5 years and there is 1 title to show for it

3 Finals appearances in 4 years is pretty damn successful. Not to mention the Voyageur’s Cups. A lot of luck is involved in championship teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Know Arnautovic from his time at Werder. Great player but a bit of a pampered prick. Not sure if he's aged well but if he hasnt it wouldn't be worth the hassle
    Arnautovic would tear this league to shreds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto fc interested in Facundo Pellistri:

Almería de España (donde juega Darwin Nuñez), y Toronto de la MLS son los equipos más interesados en contar con Facundo Pellistri. En #Peñarol evaluarán las propuestas por el juvenil, aunque la intención es retenerlo https://t.co/C0CoE8PK13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If tfc sings a vela type dp salaries would be 17m
    Lafc dp’s are around 10m
    All dp’s around 5.5m

Huge difference between 17 and 5.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kuku View Post

Almería de España (donde juega Darwin Nuñez), y Toronto de la MLS son los equipos más interesados en contar con Facundo Pellistri. En #Peñarol evaluarán las propuestas por el juvenil, aunque la intención es retenerlo https://t.co/C0CoE8PK13
    An 18 year old Uruguayan winger. Very interesting. Obviously I don't know anything about this kid ... wonder how much he would cost.

I gotta say, though, our scouting seems to be very robust.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    An 18 year old Uruguayan winger. Very interesting. Obviously I don't know anything about this kid ... wonder how much he would cost.

I gotta say, though, our scouting seems to be very robust.
    Would he be a dp? He's a right winger. Only scored 1 goal. Seems like a younger Gallardo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I see this club rumored to fill the DP spot with Giroud one day, Bruma another, and then Pellistri the next, it makes me think the FO has no focus whatsoever. Either that or the club's initial options are not panning.

There is such little crossover between Bruma, Giroud, and Pellistri. Only one of those guys has a track record of scoring goals. All three of them are at completely different ages and points in their careers.

Doesn't bode well for us imo.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    When I see this club rumored to fill the DP spot with Giroud one day, Bruma another, and then Pellistri the next, it makes me think the FO has no focus whatsoever. Either that or the club's initial options are not panning.

Or agents are mentioning us because we are a known buyer right now. That is what happened last year in the days/hours before we heard about Poz.

The 18 year old thing doesn't sound like what this team wants - there is a focus on winning the next 2 seasons. If a player can't be guaranteed to help win CCL in 2021, they are not coming here as a DP.

That's why I doubt this latest rumour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If tfc sings a vela type dp salaries would be 17m
    Lafc dp’s are around 10m
    All dp’s around 5.5m

Huge difference between 17 and 5.5
    They also paid transfer fees which do not factor into their salaries. The same as Atlanta with transfer fees. Galaxy just spend money like us

but my point is MLSE has always spent significantly on all of their teams. Whether they have spent it correctly over the years is another question. So to think they aren’t going to spend money to help them fill the stadium and compete for titles is not based i what they have done in the past

plus as someone else stated this is media company that needs content and they get more viewers if the team is contending be being mediocre

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is such little crossover between Bruma, Giroud, and Pellistri. Only one of those guys has a track record of scoring goals. All three of them are at completely different ages and points in their careers.

Holy negative.

Bruma is the perfect target. He scored 7 goals for red bull in a season. 11 goals in the superliga not long ago. He can def score 10-15 in MLS.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Or agents are mentioning us because we are a known buyer right now. That is what happened last year in the days/hours before we heard about Poz.

The 18 year old thing doesn't sound like what this team wants - there is a focus on winning the next 2 seasons. If a player can't be guaranteed to help win CCL in 2021, they are not coming here as a DP.

That's why I doubt this latest rumour.
    It's a different league every day, hmm...

I don’t think most of these names are real. I think the root cause is Manning, I bet he is talking to journos a bit more than he usually does, pumping up the rumour mill here and there, to pique interest and move tickets.

They were on the back foot throughout the 2018-19 offseason, it was amateur hour. They have learned and are trying to play some offence.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Holy negative.

Bruma is the perfect target. He scored 7 goals for red bull in a season. 11 goals in the superliga not long ago. He can def score 10-15 in MLS.
    I like Bruma as well. But he is not at all what Manning described.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it's a lack of focus ... I think it's more that the number of players who are willing to come to MLS is limited, and so they have to be in on 2 or 3 or 4 at a time to make sure they get at least one - as you say, because they all won't pan out.

And if they think this Uruguayan kid could be Gallardo-esque, they may be willing to buy him with the notion of selling him on later.

Remember the new CBA is coming, and the cap is definitely going to rise by some amount. Maybe they know they can fit him in and still get a DP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boca are after this dude so it won't happen.

Unless new Penarol coach. Toronto FC legend, Diego Forlan sorts it out...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Bruma as well. But he is not at all what Manning described.
    Why not? He can play the wing and I'm sure he could fill in at the 9 in MLS if needed. Gareth wheeler liked an article on MLS.com linking bruma to TFC
    I honestly think he'd target 1. Giroud makes no sense with Jozy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 players that are also available are Eduardo Vargas and Enner Valencia from Tigres in Liga MX.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arnautovic would tear this league to shreds.
    Not his playing that concerns me, it's his attitude. He was always a good player

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Why not? He can play the wing and I'm sure he could fill in at the 9 in MLS if needed. Gareth wheeler liked an article on MLS.com linking bruma to TFC
    I honestly think he'd target 1. Giroud makes no sense with Jozy.
    Manning described a guy with a track record of scoring goals. Bruma isn't that sort of guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manning described a guy with a track record of scoring goals. Bruma isn't that sort of guy.
    He scored 11 in the superliga in a season. That's about 15 in MLS.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Explains the subtweet from Benezet.

https://laliga.ma/actualites/de-reto...le-toronto-fc/

He is really pissed off.

His loan option would have been picked up permanently if he started 6 regular season games. He started 5. Says Ali Curtis straight up lied to him saying his loan would be picked up no matter what

Well this has to be figured out now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
    Explains the subtweet from Benezet.

https://laliga.ma/actualites/de-reto...le-toronto-fc/

He is really pissed off.

His loan option would have been picked up permanently if he started 6 regular season games. He started 5. Says Ali Curtis straight up lied to him saying his loan would be picked up no matter what

Well this has to be figured out now.
    This is downright embarrassing from the FO. Almost as much as the Pozuelo stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I guess that explains all those September games Vanney mysteriously didn't start Benezet for

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well that’s pretty scummy on Curtis’s part if true. At least be honest and say you’re thinking about it and not ready to automatically exercise.

That said, it never ceases to amaze me how many agents write stupid provisions like this into contracts. Leaves a huge incentive for the player to be stranded on the bench.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is downright embarrassing from the FO. Almost as much as the Pozuelo stuff.
    Worse if it's lying, not incompetence. It could be either.

If true. Big if.

One thing is for sure: there cannot be annual stories like this. TFC need to stop giving MLS reputational black eyes in Europe.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-28-2019 at 10:41 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Worse if it's lying, not incompetence. It could be either.

If true. Big if.

One thing is for sure: there cannot be annual stories like this. TFC need to stop giving MLS reputational black eyes in Europe.
    I'm going to say it now, although it's premature, unfair and based entirely on my own perceptions: Ali Curtis is Mo Johnston, Redux.

Everywhere he's gone in the league and each time I've heard him speak, I've thought he came across as insincere, a little arrogant at the least, maybe worse.

This kind of bullshit can't start again. It killed us for years. If we make commitments the club has to keep them.

If he hadn't thought ahead to Bradley when making those promises, he's incompetent.

If he had, he's deceitful.

This does not bode well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The pozuelo stuff was just negotiation, really don't think anyone in world football is even aware of it nevermind cares. It's standard transfer business.

This, though, if true will haunt us. Big if for sure but there will be players reluctant to do business with us especially if the deal involves things not in writing. It's the kind of thing you might think you're very clever for pulling off in the short term but the long term cost makes it a complete own goal. Really hope it's nonsense and we can prove it but not a good look