Page 71 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2161676869707172737475 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,130 of 2348
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaceyWinger View Post
    Christ.. I also watched those matches. What should I make given I share his top line resume qualities.
    Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    Go look at the guys in this league that make $300,000. He by far the worst. They have had since the end of 2018 to looks for a replacement from inside the league or from aboard. I’d rather use that money on a good backup striker and run with One of the kids as our 4th/5th CB.

Trust me, I know I’m really hard on him, but it’s because I truly think he’s bad. And I’ve been on this board saying this since mid 2017. I think it’s incredible that he can show up to training making that money, while we have starters making half that.
    He is as bad as you think - actually he's probably worse than you think.

I've been trying to wrack my brain to try and figure out his appeal, outside of nepotism, and that's all I could come up with.

CB's must be really hard to come by
    Last edited by jabbronies; 02-12-2020 at 10:33 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again - Zavs was very good for most of 2017 - we all liked him then in a back 3 with Moor & Mavinga.

He got a guaranteed contract (blame Bez who gave out a lot of them over that winter)

His form since then has been bad.

In our current system, he is not in the 18.

He is really only around now because he has a guaranteed contract.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At this point why not just trade him for nothing ie best a 4th round pick and fill the spot by giving an opportunity to some kid who might at least have a future.

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Again - Zavs was very good for most of 2017 - we all liked him then in a back 3 with Moor & Mavinga.

He got a guaranteed contract (blame Bez who gave out a lot of them over that winter)

His form since then has been bad.

In our current system, he is not in the 18.

He is really only around now because he has a guaranteed contract.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

No we didn't.

In 2017, we rotated through Zavaleta, Hagglund and Hernandez.

Hernandez was too old
    Majority preferred Hagglund
    But Zavaleta got a lot of starts.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    At this point why not just trade him for nothing ie best a 4th round pick and fill the spot by giving an opportunity to some kid who might at least have a future.
    We could get more than nothing for him.
    He has experience. I bet a team like Cincy would take him on that alone. His experience could land him on a mid-tier club.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cincy has brought in 2 experienced CB's - Zavs is, at best, a backup in this league.

His wage is too much for what he brings. Nobody is going to pay that. He's basically untradeable (that happens a lot more in this league then people realise- Hagglund is the same at Cinci right now)

Oh, and I remember Hagglund struggling through 2017.

We are stuck with him.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    We could get more than nothing for him.
    He has experience. I bet a team like Cincy would take him on that alone. His experience could land him on a mid-tier club.
    Cincy has brought in 2 experienced CB's - Zavs is, at best, a backup in this league.

His wage is too much for what he brings. Nobody is going to pay that. He's basically untradeable (that happens a lot more in this league then people realise- Hagglund is the same at Cinci right now)

We are stuck with him.
    If one of either Nashville or Miami, or any lower MLS team, gets into injury trouble with their CBs all of a sudden Zavs has value in the league again (especially if its between transfer windows, because MLS trades can go through despite if I remember correctly)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again - Zavs was very good for most of 2017 - we all liked him then in a back 3 with Moor & Mavinga..
    I disagree. He was only okay during 2017. The reason he was alright was because he was shielded by a defensive minded Beitashour on one side and Moor on the other in essentially a 5 man back line. With that much cover he was acceptable. In a 4 man back line or a 3 man backline with a RB like Auro (and VDW last year) who get up into the attack, then he has no hope and never did. Has has consistently shown that he has no sense of positioning since he started playing CB here. Almost every match he was being yelled at and had to be pointed to the proper position by various other defenders.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We are stuck with him.

Ever since his arrival I've repeatedly stated how important Drew Moor was to this club. Losing him in 2018 was a large reason why we had such an abysmal season.

His leadership and man management made TFC a championship calibre team with both Hagglund and Zavaleta in the lineup.That alone should tell you how great of a CB he was while in Toronto.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cas87 View Post
    If one of either Nashville or Miami, or any lower MLS team, gets into injury trouble with their CBs all of a sudden Zavs has value in the league again (especially if its between transfer windows, because MLS trades can go through despite if I remember correctly)
    That's what I'm saying. His value could be higher for desperate teams. We can get more for him than shitty SuperDraft picks.
    - Allocation Order
    - TAM / GAM
    - a young backup player at another position.
    - a veteran backup player

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will be curious to see if Nicks playing time in Cincy drops this year compared to last. He still played some pretty decent minutes last year.

We are stuck with him.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will be curious to see if Nicks playing time in Cincy drops this year compared to last. He still played some pretty decent minutes last year.
    He was terrible for them last year. I can’t see how they can trot him back out again this year.

Like I said, I was calling him bad back when we were a juggernaut in 2017. Like was said above, he was sheltered by one of the best back lines in MLS history, but I could see in the moments where he had to fend for himself, that he was a weak link.

I specifically remember the game in Montreal in the playoffs, Piatti took every opportunity to run at him, and he looked like a pylon. He’s clumsy, not a good passer at all, slow, and below average marker in the box.

Question... because he’s on a guaranteed contract, does that mean we can’t use our one buyout on him?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    Question... because he’s on a guaranteed contract, does that mean we can’t use our one buyout on him?
    We can but his number will apparently still count against the cap.

In that sense I see the point in not buying him out unless we need his roster spot at some point. We only have 2 left and I would like to see someone else signed before the season starts (CB/FC combo or forward) and there's also a chance we may need some players in the summer so we may need a roster spot.
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 02-12-2020 at 02:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW he's always stepped up in big games for us over the years. He was clearly the weakest part of our back 3 in 2017 but he was still serviceable and in playoff and CCL games I think he's always played pretty well (*ducks*)

If this is the last year of his contract, he must know how make-or-break this year is. I don't necessarily expect him to look like a $300k player but hopefully he at least gets back to solid backup CB level and we can sign him on a lower salary next year (because let's face it, even if it's not conscious, I don't think he stays here as long as he has without the Vanney connection, and if there's a way to keep him here TFC will)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavemTFC View Post
    If this is the last year of his contract, he must know how make-or-break this year is. I don't necessarily expect him to look like a $300k player but hopefully he at least gets back to solid backup CB level and we can sign him on a lower salary next year (because let's face it, even if it's not conscious, I don't think he stays here as long as he has without the Vanney connection, and if there's a way to keep him here TFC will)
    If he is back here next year then it has to be with York 9. That's his level most likely.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    We can but his number will apparently still count against the cap.
    Are you sure? I thought you can have one buyout per year that will no longer count against the cap. That's what we often said in previous years when we wanted to dump someone -- and the buyout was used by TFC most years.. Perhaps we were always wrong. Or perhaps the rules have changed. No idea.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Are you sure? I thought you can have one buyout per year that will no longer count against the cap. That's what we often said in previous years when we wanted to dump someone -- and the buyout was used by TFC most years.. Perhaps we were always wrong. Or perhaps the rules have changed. No idea.
    I read that somewhere but can't remember where now. Seemed like news to me too but that would make sense as that's how it goes in other sports. You save some actual money but eat the cap hit. Regardless, I bet he stays even if it's our undoing.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavemTFC View Post
    FWIW he's always stepped up in big games for us over the years. He was clearly the weakest part of our back 3 in 2017 but he was still serviceable and in playoff and CCL games I think he's always played pretty well (*ducks*)

I especially liked the straight red card he got the last game he actually played for us, in a completely unnecessary play, helped us immensely!

I think for most teams he could be a depth player that comes out for the Canadian Championship or the US Open Cup, but at $300k I'll take the cash over him 10 times out of 10.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I think for most teams he could be a depth player that comes out for the Canadian Championship or the US Open Cup, but at $300k I'll take the cash over him 10 times out of 10.
    I would take anything offered for him minus a just as ugly contract. Like a 4th round pick in 2030 or something like that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will be interesting to see if Ifunanyachi Achara is moving closer to earning a first team contract. The Reds first round draft pick has scored in the last two pre-season games including today vs. LAFC. I know he will count as an international but with two sports open their is an opening for him. From what I gather he slipped due to injury but it seems he is back in form.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will be interesting to see if Ifunanyachi Achara is moving closer to earning a first team contract. The Reds first round draft pick has scored in the last two pre-season games including today vs. LAFC. I know he will count as an international but with two sports open their is an opening for him. From what I gather he slipped due to injury but it seems he is back in form.
    I think he should be given a fair opportunity to win a back up spot versus Mullins & Akinola.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I think he should be given a fair opportunity to win a back up spot versus Mullins & Akinola.
    There's a lot of film of him from college around. He looks a fair prospect. Good touch around the goal, strong, fast.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he’s very low on the depth chart ....I believe not starting . Number one priority is defending. Then score ..
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    he’s very low on the depth chart ....I believe not starting . Number one priority is defending. Then score ..
    I still can't believe we got ~500k

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I especially liked the straight red card he got the last game he actually played for us, in a completely unnecessary play, helped us immensely!
    I specifically meant he was good in playoff games

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sn0re View Post
    I still can't believe we got ~500k
    I think it was 200k GAM, 100k TAM, and the top allocation spot (which we used to get Omar Gonzalez)

So, a huge steal.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kloke has an interview with Manning out today (as always, paywall)

https://theathletic.com/1607485/2020...he-many-risks/

This tidbit

Manning also said the club had discussions with a globally-known player to potentially sign as a DP, but the player wanted to wait until his contract ran out in the summer and was unwilling to sign a pre-contract, so TFC walked away.
    Lots of good things in that article - the Athletic is the best soccer journalism in North America - Kloke is doing double duty with the Leafs & TFC but when he gets stuff, he gets it.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 02-14-2020 at 12:24 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kloke has an interview with Manning out today (as always, paywall)

https://theathletic.com/1607485/2020...he-many-risks/

This tidbit

Lots of good things in that article - the Athletic is the best soccer journalism in North America - Kloke is doing double duty with the Leafs & TFC but when he gets stuff, he gets it.
    Anyone who can should read this article.

This confirms something that has become increasingly obvious. We gotta stop talking about Curtis. Ali is not Bez or Bobby Webster. Ali is part of the setup but this is Manning’s show.

We can close the Curtis thread.

Manning is the GM.
    Last edited by ensco; 02-14-2020 at 12:33 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When ever I see Bobby Webster with that wide smile, all that comes to my mind for me is him thinking, pinch me now, think I am dreaming, how the heck did I end up here. Have no idea how he is perceived in league circles, did not see his name bounced around for other jobs after the championship?

Is Ali really anymore a part of the setup than Bez was? I get the GM role can mean a whole bunch of different things.

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

This confirms something that has become increasingly obvious. We gotta stop talking about Curtis. Ali is not Bez or Bobby Webster. Ali is part of the setup but this is Manning’s show.

Manning is the GM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Manning is the GM.
    The people who want to give Curtis credit for everything that's happened under his watch aren't paying attention to how the team actually operates.

Manning is a bit of a micro-manager and is very aware of what Curtis and Vanney do. In reality, a lot of decisions are made jointly by the three of them.

Curtis is probably more in charge of signing academy kids moving to the first team, Manning does not seem to concern himself with that, although obviously Vanney has huge input on those decisions.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 02-14-2020 at 01:36 PM.