Page 4 of 79 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speculation Chapman is so Inter does something specific in the expansion draft. The Garber bucks might be the price to buy back whomever Miami takes off us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Chapman was an important depth player, especially in 2017.

Late in the game in Guadalajara, he subbed in and made to play to Hamilton deep that was almost a real chance.

He deserves a chance to start somewhere.
    Agreed. And the club looks good for making it happen.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or it could be a promise to Miami not to take anyone from our team because of this.
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love Cavallini, but if this club wants to stop the slowly declining fan interest (MLS Cup ratings we nearly half of what they were in 2016/17), they need to sign a respected and known DP.

Poz is excellent, but nobody had ever heard of him prior to him joining TFC.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Listening to Curtis & Manning yesterday, they want a 10-15 goals a year wide forward. Known doesn't come into play for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Listening to Curtis & Manning yesterday, they want a 10-15 goals a year wide forward. Known doesn't come into play for them.
    Very good!
    I don't care about "known" either, the only thing should matter is how good and useful for the team is the respective player.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    Very good!
    I don't care about "known" either, the only thing should matter is how good and useful for the team is the respective player.
    Agreed, there was a time when we needed a big name draw. Would be nice but not the only consideration anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by catz4ever View Post
    Mavinga just posted he’s moving out!?!?! Do you thinking he’s leaving
    His lease was probably just for the season. He's likely just spending the off season at home.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    (MLS Cup ratings we nearly half of what they were in 2016/17), they need to sign a respected and known DP.
    MLS Cup ratings have nothing to do with our market. Not our problem that people in LA, Atlanta, and other places without a dog in the final won't watch. Frankly, I could care less. Get us the best guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So let the baseless speculation begin.

Dries Mertens is out of contract in June and Napoli are a mess right now. Can play anywhere across the front line. Seba-type player but a more willing runner. Was reportedly considering a payday in China. He'll be 33 next year but isn't injury prone and hasn't been showing his age. Some name value and absolutely thrilling to watch when he's on his game. Checks a lot of boxes. Don't think TFC will want to get in a bidding war with Suning/Conte or a Chinese team, though. He might even be a target for the Limp Act, considering Saputo's and Henry's ties.
    Last edited by Bobo; 11-14-2019 at 09:52 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    So let the baseless speculation begin.

Dries Mertens is out of contract in June and Napoli are a mess right now. Can play anywhere across the front line. Seba-type player but a more willing runner. Was reportedly considering a payday in China. He'll be 33 next year but isn't injury prone and hasn't been showing his age. Some name value and absolutely thrilling to watch when he's on his game. Checks a lot of boxes. Don't think TFC will want to get in a bidding war with Suning/Conte or a Chinese team, though. He might even be a target for the Limp Act, considering Saputo's and Henry's ties.
    Maybe if he was 28, but at 33? Pass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If TFC is spending DP money, they will be looking for 25-28 year old in-their-prime striker in the 5-10 million price range. I'm sure they want a top 100 world player if they can manage it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it will be very interesting to see what they do with MB. Could be TAM; could also be a sort of front loaded deal where he is overpaid this year as a DP and underpaid in years 2-4 to help with roster balance. they were a bit ambiguous in their comments.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    it will be very interesting to see what they do with MB. Could be TAM; could also be a sort of front loaded deal where he is overpaid this year as a DP and underpaid in years 2-4 to help with roster balance. they were a bit ambiguous in their comments.
    MLS set the precedent by allowing LA to have Pavon as a loan to avoid 4 DPs so it can be done. Barring a typical MLS sudden rule change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just reviewing the top soccer player salaries worldwide and other than the top three of Messi, Ronaldo, and Neymar, the rest are all probably acquirable if MLSE wants to splash the cash on a 3rd DP. For comparison, the 4th-highest paid player in the world is Paul Pogba at $33million per year, while MLSE is paying Kyle Lowry $34.9million per year for his services.

I wonder what would happen in a MLS owner-operator(say, Arthur Blank) decided to spend $50 million per year on their 3 DPs? Would Garber actively block it? Would it set off an arms race? It would be the most in-your-face method of getting other owners to "put up or shut up" on their desire to compete.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I wonder what would happen in a MLS owner-operator(say, Arthur Blank) decided to spend $50 million per year on their 3 DPs? Would Garber actively block it? Would it set off an arms race?
    Guess we'll see in 2021/22 when the guys Beckham really wants are available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The raptors can spend way more because they bring in way more revenue lol. Tfc isnt paying 30 mill a year for anyone lol.

If shaqiri wasnt so injury prone he would be a nice dp winger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just browsing transfrmarkt here for guys out of contract in summer 2020... I'm curious if we'd go name-brand with a DP or someone lesser known.

"Stars" out of contract in the summer include Willian, Pedro, Gotze, Callejon, Cuadrado (he's probably gonna re-sign though) and Ilicic (underrated).

If we go tier 2 it could be just about anyone... I was looking at one guy, Bryan Linssen, captain of Vitesse and has a good record of production in the Eredivisie. From Youtube highlights he seems to score at least half his goals from headers which is interesting for a winger.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Just browsing transfrmarkt here for guys out of contract in summer 2020... I'm curious if we'd go name-brand with a DP or someone lesser known.

"Stars" out of contract in the summer include Willian, Pedro, Gotze, Callejon, Cuadrado (he's probably gonna re-sign though) and Ilicic (underrated).

If we go tier 2 it could be just about anyone... I was looking at one guy, Bryan Linssen, captain of Vitesse and has a good record of production in the Eredivisie. From Youtube highlights he seems to score at least half his goals from headers which is interesting for a winger.
    I bet it's not going to be a star but rather be someone totally under the radar like Pozuelo.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    The raptors can spend way more because they bring in way more revenue lol. Tfc isnt paying 30 mill a year for anyone lol.

If shaqiri wasnt so injury prone he would be a nice dp winger.
    Shaqiri would be a great signing.... He'd fly down the wing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my prediction is bradley signs as dp
    and the 12 goal scorer guy is tam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post

me thinks if Bradley isn't signed as a DP then there's something 'hand-shaked' for down the road, as it were, to make amends.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    A big hit to TFC's instagram presence, but a good move. Expansion team should give Chapman a better shot at minutes. He didn't really have a role here anymore.

he had his shot this year early on. wasnt consistent enough

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    me thinks if Bradley isn't signed as a DP then there's something 'hand-shaked' for down the road, as it were, to make amends.....
    I think so too, probbaly a guaranteed coaching/other job of some sort.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dont see it. At most he will get TAM.

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    Think he's either TAM or high pay. He knows he will coach or sit in FO or both at some point. DP will be a striker, the whole team, FO and support knows and sees this. Couldnt have been more evident at the cup. Like our first cup when we needed Vasquez

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we stop? In what universe do the player and the club both publicly acknowledge that they are talking about a non DP deal, but then the player signs a DP deal.

Here is a blinding glimpse of the obvious: Bradley's staying, and it's non DP (or TAM) deal, and they are sorting out term, and what happens depending on different scenarios in the new CBA (if I am him, I'd say, just give me the non DP max under the new deal, whatever that is)

This could still be real money, eg $2-2.5M a year for 3-4 years.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we stop? In what universe do the player and the club both publicly acknowledge that they are talking about a non DP deal, but then the player signs a DP deal.

Here is a blinding glimpse of the obvious: Bradley's staying, and it's non DP (or TAM) deal, and they are sorting out term, and what happens depending on different scenarios in the new CBA (if I am him, I'd say, just give me the non DP max under the new deal, whatever that is)

Hahahaha this exactly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley isnt worth 2 plus million. Theres no way hes a dp not only because of his play which is solid but his position isnt worthy of using a dp spot on.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the right place & time, a DM DP is a good choice - after strikers & midfielders, they are the most valuable piece on any team. If you don't have a decent one, you don't win much anymore.

Bradley has been worth the price because of whom he is as a person & because of how good a DM he has been. He's a rare commodity in that regard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair Ensco, there is one option - MB could be a DP at an inflated rate for one year and then a regular player at a significantly reduced rate for two or three years. Would have an interesting impact on future roster construction - and would be workable if the scorer they want isn’t available until the summer transfer window ie MB gets 5,000,000 this year and 300,000 each of the next three and the future DP gets TAM money this year (for half a season) and DP money next. I agree that this doesn’t seem to be what they are thinking - they want the new player here for the whole year - but there is something going on about how the agreement will be structured.