Page 52 of 79 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 2348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canuckistan View Post
    This is starting to stink of a tear down like what Shapiro did with the Jays....gosh I hope I'm so wrong here.
    Wtf?

No. So much negatively here. The window for a dp isn't even open yet. Even if they wait for the summer the sky isn't falling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is starting to stink of a tear down like what Shapiro did with the Jays....gosh I hope I'm so wrong here.
    why who did we lose from the roster that went to the final last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    why who did we lose from the roster that went to the final last year.
    Benezet was the only starter from the team and TFC couldn't keep him due to MLS rules.

He will be replaced by a dp and it opens up playing time for Gallardo possibly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Wtf?

No. So much negatively here. The window for a dp isn't even open yet. Even if they wait for the summer the sky isn't falling.
    i agree...this is ridiculous,can you imagine if the club did not make the finals the last 3 of 4 years

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    i agree...this is ridiculous,can you imagine if the club did not make the finals the last 3 of 4 years

I see a lot of people referencing last 3 of 4 years. Are you all living in the past? That is now done. I live in the now. I enjoyed the past when it was current...it no longer is. Live in the moment guys...what are we doing now....?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see a lot of people referencing last 3 of 4 years. Are you all living in the past? That is now done. I live in the now. I enjoyed the past when it was current...it no longer is. Live in the moment guys...what are we doing now....?
    i get what you are saying...we still have a month..we dont know the new dp rules yet,the east is wide open.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The "now" includes pretty much the same squad as last year with some additions and a DP. Heck, if anything, our biggest issue will be Bradley gone until likely late June. Ask Akinola about ankle injuries and recovery time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The "now" includes pretty much the same squad as last year with some additions and a DP. Heck, if anything, our biggest issue will be Bradley gone until likely late June. Ask Akinola about ankle injuries and recovery time.
    What additions and what DP? You're also assuming that the squad was good last year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those years wouldn't be referenced if it was a totally different or very aged roster. It isn't either of those things. It's like saying Man City is "doing a teardown" and shit because they didn't sign anyone (CB) in the last window and unlike them, we're still relatively young but also experienced.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    What additions and what DP? You're also assuming that the squad was good last year.
    Just like last year before the window opened, we lost Giovinco and Vasquez and all that was on here is how we're in money saving mode and doing a teardown because our spending was unsustainiable and how did that go?

We had signings before the season started (Westberg, Laryea, Ciman), some in the spring (Pozuelo, Gallardo), and Gonzalez in the summer. I said this last year and I say it again, just because the FO don't share what they're doing with the media or us doesn't mean they aren't doing anything. There is more history to substantiate that than standing pat and tanking, something we've never done in this era.

Also it's not like we were trash and garbaged our way to a final. We played good, not flashy, but solid for the whole summer through the fall.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    ...You're also assuming that the squad was good last year.
    It wasn't ...until it was.

I said at the time our defence wasn't good enough and didn't think we'd make the playoffs - then Gonzalez and Ciman & Mavinga turned it around.

We don't do what we did to Atlanta & NYC in their parks without having a good squad.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    We don't do what we did to Atlanta & NYC in their parks without having a good squad.
    This pretty much sums it up. I'd throw in that away draw to LAFC that should have been a win too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    This pretty much sums it up. I'd throw in that away draw to LAFC that should have been a win too.
    Nothing but living in the past comments. The reality now is that a lot of teams have improved greatly and that is being largely ignored or there is some form of justification that those teams may not do well due to new players/systems etc.

We'll see what they end up doing...since last year acquisitions references keep getting mentioned...let's see what windows they do what in....until it happens...it hasn't yet.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Benezet was the only starter from the team and TFC couldn't keep him due to MLS rules.

He will be replaced by a dp and it opens up playing time for Gallardo possibly.
    I can only imagine that the "Sky is falling" people believe that Benezet was the sole reason TFC made it to the finals last year. Without him, this team is nothing lol

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nothing but living in the past comments. The reality now is that a lot of teams have improved greatly and that is being largely ignored or there is some form of justification that those teams may not do well due to new players/systems etc.

We'll see what they end up doing...since last year acquisitions references keep getting mentioned...let's see what windows they do what in....until it happens...it hasn't yet.
    We improved greatly last year - we brought in a New Keeper (Westburg), a CB general (Omar), a stud midfielder (Poz) and some excellent filler (Deleon, Fraser, potentially Gallardo)

This final DP everyone is hot and bothered over - is going to be the icing on the cake. He's not the backbone to us being a contender.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't seen a thing in the east that concerns me. DC added a little but nothing at the back and they still have Olsen. In fact the primary contenders (Atlanta & NYCFC) have gotten worse and did nothing good in that order. NYRB don't even have a full squad. Revs have holes and the Union haven't done much either.

But still, it's January. There could be big moves to change the landscape in the east but no team has made them yet. Remember there is still 2 weeks left before the window even opens and after Feb 7th it's open for another 2 months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like i get it, this offseason is boring as fuck. But as of right now there is zero reason to panic, there could even be a lockout/strike in a few weeks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Like i get it, this offseason is boring as fuck. But as of right now there is zero reason to panic, there could even be a lockout/strike in a few weeks.
    Yeah I noticed a big change in union speak today regarding this. Just the other day it was "we're close" and "good faith" to run with the current CBA after January 31st but today I read at least 4 players mention strike/lock out in their interviews.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Oldtimer, I'm sorry, but this is really a poor argument. There are so many possible factors against this line of thinking:

- Vanney. You keep talking like this is all up to Curtis, but remember, Vanney has a big say in who they get (remember, if the rumours are true, Vanney vetoed Ballotelli; that's clout). If you have seen Vanney's interviews, he's talking like he has a pretty short list of guys he really wants, and so of course Curtis is going to try for those guys first, and my assumption is that those guys are all pretty good, so we won't find out if we're able to get them until on or after Jan 31.

- We've been screwed by impulse signings before. Aketxe. Boyd. Van der Weil. We absolutely must avoid another disastrous signing like that, especially with our final and very valuable DP slot.

- We have some very highly rated talent in our Academy. Jayden Nelson, especially, is being touted almost up to the level that Alphonso Davies was. If it turns out he's ready and could play that left-wing/wingback role, then that completely changes the complexion of what we need in our DP. But that also involves waiting a bit.

- It's MLS. As good as the league has become in the last few years, it's still not going to entice certain players to come.

So I really, really think you need to chill out and wait to see who we actually get before making judgements. You're really criticizing him too early.
    All your points are valid but were all known when Curtis and Manning said that TFC was going to do everything possible to bring in a DP before training camp. I found their arguments persuasive at the time. It seems clear that they are not recruiting "bloody big deal" types or even seba types, are trying to get a competent skilled player - this years Pozuelo, albeit a striker with capacity to play on the wing. Given the obvious need, and the compelling arguments they made to do it now, it is hard for me at least to just accept "oh well next time."

EDIT: From article in Waking the Red, (see post below):

“Very few for me,” added TFC Coach Greg Vanney, when asked about the benefits of bringing a player in during the secondary transfer window. “I think bringing one in now brings that player the best opportunity to integrate into the team. It’s well documented over the course of the league that there’s a lot of players that come in midseason, not many hit the ground running or adapt to our league, which is a unique league.”
    “The first game is just as important as the 17th game, which is just as important as the 34th game,” added Vanney. “And our team, I want us to be focused on trying to win the East, and win the Supporters Shield, and play every game like every point matters…we want to try and have every player available for any game whenever possible.”
    Last edited by MightyDM; 01-28-2020 at 05:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just like last year before the window opened, we lost Giovinco and Vasquez and all that was on here is how we're in money saving mode and doing a teardown because our spending was unsustainiable and how did that go?

We had signings before the season started (Westberg, Laryea, Ciman), some in the spring (Pozuelo, Gallardo), and Gonzalez in the summer. I said this last year and I say it again, just because the FO don't share what they're doing with the media or us doesn't mean they aren't doing anything. There is more history to substantiate that than standing pat and tanking, something we've never done in this era.

Also it's not like we were trash and garbaged our way to a final. We played good, not flashy, but solid for the whole summer through the fall.
    well put

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't seen a thing in the east that concerns me. DC added a little but nothing at the back and they still have Olsen. In fact the primary contenders (Atlanta & NYCFC) have gotten worse and did nothing good in that order. NYRB don't even have a full squad. Revs have holes and the Union haven't done much either.

But still, it's January. There could be big moves to change the landscape in the east but no team has made them yet. Remember there is still 2 weeks left before the window even opens and after Feb 7th it's open for another 2 months.
    You will be in for quite a shock.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really don't care about a DP. If one comes now that's great. If in summer, fine too.

We will fill out some depth by the end of training camp.

All your points are valid but were all known when Curtis and Manning said that TFC was going to do everything possible to bring in a DP before training camp
    They said by the end of training camp.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine making the finals 3 years out of 4 and all you do is complain about everything. Fuck some of you are boring as fuck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really don't care about a DP. If one comes now that's great. If in summer, fine too.

We will fill out some depth by the end of training camp.

They said by the end of training camp.
    Fair enough. i think it was before the season, but thats closer to what you say

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, let's start some more wild speculating for fun:

So based on that article from last Jan, it seems like maybe there's some interest from Lacazette coming over to TFC (or at least, there was when Emery was the manager; now that Artetta is there, maybe he would be more likely to stay, but anyway ...)

I've noticed Arsenal just brought in a striker on loan, and apparently they were sniffing around Giroud ... maybe it's because Lacazette wants to leave!

<clickbait/>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So based on that article from last Jan, it seems like maybe there's some interest from Lacazette coming over to TFC (or at least, there was when Emery was the manager; now that Artetta is there, maybe he would be more likely to stay, but anyway ...)

I've noticed Arsenal just brought in a striker on loan, and apparently they were sniffing around Giroud ... maybe it's because Lacazette wants to leave!

<clickbait/>
    More likely they expect Aubameyang, to be leaving.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<clickbait/>
    Have they?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TomLawrence View Post
    Imagine making the finals 3 years out of 4 and all you do is complain about everything. Fuck some of you are boring as fuck.
    The internet seems to be a magnet for certain personality profiles. Post game forums, regardless of the sport, are much longer after losses than wins.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Have they?
    I only saw CBs in for Arsenal so far. I do believe they would like to dump Lacazette but he's not coming anywhere around here with his pricetag.