Page 78 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2868747576777879 LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,340 of 2348
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soccerpro View Post
    Will Piatti be a good signing? Beats me. Hard to predict.

What's easy to predict is that Jozy will get injured often again this season and that Patrick Mullins is not a good enough 2nd option up top.
    Hopefully Ifunanyachi Achara will step up and be a viable 2nd option

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    OK - Who is the surprise breakout player this year?
    I'll bite too.

One or two of these guys: Okello, Achara, Fraser.
    Someone said Mullins, that's a big no from me, I don't rate him, but would be nice if I would be proven to be a fool at the end of season regarding Mullins, LOL...

Edit: but the biggest enigma this season for me will be not Piatti, but Gallardo.
    He was more like an enigma all the time since he's with TFC, I'd like to know latest until the middle of the season if he was a bust signing, a good signing, or he'll remain forever an enigma (but he's a bust in this case too...).
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 02-28-2020 at 06:52 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    Someone said Mullins, that's a big no from me, I don't rate him, but would be nice if I would be proven to be a fool at the end of season regarding Mullins, LOL...
    I said that mostly because it's a long shot but if he were to get 6 goals as a bench player, like Rickett's level, then that'd be a pretty big breakout I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I said that mostly because it's a long shot but if he were to get 6 goals as a bench player, like Rickett's level, then that'd be a pretty big breakout I think.
    A breakout would be 10 or more for Mullins, he's scored 6 & 8 in a season before.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    A breakout would be 10 or more for Mullins, he's scored 6 & 8 in a season before.
    But he is regarded at around Wiedeman on level here so Rickett's level would be fine by me. Even if he scored 15 most on here would say he was garbage because Hamilton was so awesome but never got his shot.

Also I am basing it on a fully healthy Jozy so not a ton of minutes for Mullins and few starts.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am hoping for Ifunanyachi Achara that would be awesome and take a ton of heat off upfront. The sleeper for me is the continued progression of Laryea and no sophomore jinx. Not sure how they are going to handle him and Auro, perhaps Auro moves to supporting either Laryea or Morrow. Playing alongside OG, should be great for his career.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am hoping for Ifunanyachi Achara that would be awesome and take a ton of heat off upfront. The sleeper for me is the continued progression of Laryea and no sophomore jinx. Not sure how they are going to handle him and Auro, perhaps Auro moves to supporting either Laryea or Morrow. Playing alongside OG, should be great for his career.
    I'm still desperately trying to see the upside in Auro. So maybe he'll have a breakout season and actually do some defending.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Red View Post
    I'm still desperately trying to see the upside in Auro. So maybe he'll have a breakout season and actually do some defending.
    I don't know how people have this perception. He has improved a lot over the past year and half and he is better defensively now than Laryea is. If his trend of improvement continues then he should be the best defensive FB on our team this season unless Morrow has a big bounce back season after two sketchy ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I don't know how people have this perception. He has improved a lot over the past year and half and he is better defensively now than Laryea is. If his trend of improvement continues then he should be the best defensive FB on our team this season unless Morrow has a big bounce back season after two sketchy ones.
    Auro was the third best player on TFC last year according to whoscored. I think people listen to Caldwell a little too much who seemed to have a grudge with auro early in his career. TFC was a better player when he was on the field. He's also younger than layrea. He can also cover at left back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That’s a fair pick. Laryew has been playing that fullback role for a full six months. There’s upside there for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Auro was the third best player on TFC last year according to whoscored. I think people listen to Caldwell a little too much who seemed to have a grudge with auro early in his career. TFC was a better player when he was on the field. He's also younger than layrea. He can also cover at left back.
    Whoscored once had Doneil Henry as the highest-ranked Cb in the league for several weeks in a row. I don't always think it reflects reality.

Auro is one of the best wingbacks in the league. But it's almost entirely because he's fantastic in the buildup and we spend most games in possession, not playing the counter press.

I don't think he's a better defender than Laryea. The knocks come from glaring errors in multiple games, sometimes back-to-back, in which he has blown marking assignments and cost us goals directly.

Laryea has given up a few too, but generally with a shift at play that leaves a zone uncovered. Auro just blows marking assignments by not staying tight and tracking well. He's particularly brutal on set pieces.

But his upside going forward is huge. So is Laryea's. I say you platoon them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't look at statistics websites or listen to commentators. I much prefer the evidence of my own eyes. Stats are all well and good, but can be very easily spun anyway you want. Do you seriously believe he was TFC third best player last season? I also have no idea where the myth that Auro can play left back came from. Because he had to do it a couple of times in a crisis?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Red View Post
    I don't look at statistics websites or listen to commentators. I much prefer the evidence of my own eyes. Stats are all well and good, but can be very easily spun anyway you want. Do you seriously believe he was TFC third best player last season? I also have no idea where the myth that Auro can play left back came from. Because he had to do it a couple of times in a crisis?
    So you didn't see how accurate auros passing was? He's also solid defensively. The team was probably at its best with him at lb and Richie at RB.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you didn't see how accurate auros passing was? He's also solid defensively. The team was probably at its best with him at lb and Richie at RB.
    I agree with this. I think we're best with them both out there and the thing is that Auro is still improving, not declining. Of course sometimes he will get wrong sided but so did Bradley, Delgado, Mavinga (a lot), and Gonzalez last season. It happens. This is MLS and the players aren't infallable. Also he is a wee guy so set piece defending isn't going to be his forte.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Auro but I haven’t gotten over him losing his man on the first Seattle goal.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair, my biggest complaint about Auro was his defensive positioning. When Omar came in, that seemed to really help him, having somebody in his ear telling him where to go. As for passing accuracy, 10 yards backwards or sideways passes are easy - one of the main reasons I don't like basing opinions on statistics. The one stat that might be relevant is Key passes. I honestly don't remember him making many passes that lead to a goal scoring opportunity. I also don't recall too many dribbles at the heart of the defense that caused defenders problems. Richie on the other hand, had plenty of those.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I like Auro but I haven’t gotten over him losing his man on the first Seattle goal.

A bit harsh, lots went wrong on that goal. Numerous chances by a few to stop that one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just watching the NYCFC play-off replay on TSN and Auro bailed out a beaten Mavinga to save a really good scoring opportunity. I think what it comes down to is that supporters here need a few guys to shit on no matter how they do and it takes years for them to get beyond that, ala Delgado.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auro is very good. And occasionally bad. Thats my strong take. I also think it's generally true.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaceyWinger View Post
    Auro is very good. And occasionally bad. Thats my strong take. I also think it's generally true.
    All MLS players are occasionally bad. Vela is occasionally bad.

There's been a lot of negativity on the forums recently and people seem to discount the fact that other teams are MLS teams as well and have the same if not greater issues.

Most (all?) analysts, power rankings, Vegas odds whatever have TFC as a top 5 team and a contender. Shield may be tough. But Canadian, MLS, and for what it's worth Leagues Cup are all winnable.

Injuries might derail things they might not. We got lucky against NYFC and ATL. But we did it without our best fw and cb.

We didn't bring in a lot of new players but I'm excited for Shaff, Laryea, Fraser, Achara and more to take big steps forward. Maybe all of them won't but some will.

We get a full season of Gonzalez. We get to see what Gallardo is all about. And even if he's injured my money is on us getting more games out of Piatti than we got out of Benezet last year.

We've seen a lot of shit years. Let's enjoy the good ones.

Come on you reds!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi10 View Post
    And even if he's injured my money is on us getting more games out of Piatti than we got out of Benezet last year.
    So what, like, 9? Out of 34?

Agree overall with the rest but boy is that a low bar to set for a DP. Even for Jozy 9 games would be a disaster

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi10 View Post
    All MLS players are occasionally bad. Vela is occasionally bad.

There's been a lot of negativity on the forums recently and people seem to discount the fact that other teams are MLS teams as well and have the same if not greater issues.

Most (all?) analysts, power rankings, Vegas odds whatever have TFC as a top 5 team and a contender. Shield may be tough. But Canadian, MLS, and for what it's worth Leagues Cup are all winnable.

Injuries might derail things they might not. We got lucky against NYFC and ATL. But we did it without our best fw and cb.

We didn't bring in a lot of new players but I'm excited for Shaff, Laryea, Fraser, Achara and more to take big steps forward. Maybe all of them won't but some will.

We get a full season of Gonzalez. We get to see what Gallardo is all about. And even if he's injured my money is on us getting more games out of Piatti than we got out of Benezet last year.

We've seen a lot of shit years. Let's enjoy the good ones.

Come on you reds!
    I think most of us are pissed at the DP they brought in ! we were expecting much more from the club! Lets go reds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Woohoo, it's game day!!!!!

Are we shutting down this thread?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave F View Post
    I think most of us are pissed at the DP they brought in ! we were expecting much more from the club! Lets go reds
    By all accounts, we would have gotten more but the new CBA kiboshed that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just listened to the COYR podcast and there was a lot of talk about Gallardo and where he fits in. Wheeler also stated that Vanney was very high on him and would speak about him regularly in pre-season. Judging by how he has been used since he was acquired seems to suggest otherwise. I really don't know what to make of him. Presumably he was able to play yesterday as he was on the bench yet once again he was unused.

Makes me think there is a disagreement between the coach and mgmt on him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone know if we have any TAM GAM left for another signing or did we max out on the Bradley contract? Would be nice if we could add another striker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    I just listened to the COYR podcast and there was a lot of talk about Gallardo and where he fits in. Wheeler also stated that Vanney was very high on him and would speak about him regularly in pre-season. Judging by how he has been used since he was acquired seems to suggest otherwise. I really don't know what to make of him. Presumably he was able to play yesterday as he was on the bench yet once again he was unused.

Makes me think there is a disagreement between the coach and mgmt on him.
    Just coming off a hamstring injury. I don’t think he wanted to risk him. If he doesn’t play again on Saturday, I’ll start questioning it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sick of watching Delgado dribbling the ball in open space on the pitch and has no clue what to do with it. Every time he just passes off to the wing when that man is covered or just passes backwards which drives me nuts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    Does anyone know if we have any TAM GAM left for another signing or did we max out on the Bradley contract? Would be nice if we could add another striker.
    I think we should make a trade within the league we all know that Altidore will get hurt soon and Mullins is just not good enough fit I think we need go after Hurtado from KC he would be a great fit with some size and speed even play him and Alt at the same time with two guys up top.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil744 View Post
    I think we should make a trade within the league we all know that Altidore will get hurt soon and Mullins is just not good enough fit I think we need go after Hurtado from KC he would be a great fit with some size and speed even play him and Alt at the same time with two guys up top.
    I love Hurtado. Always struck me as a Toronto sports kind of player. Works hard, bit of personality, some talent, versatile.

I like Mullins, but not sure he works hard enough as a guy alone up top. And not versatile either.