Page 37 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 2348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Zavs is ok as a 4th CB. Overpaid sure.

Mullens is solid as a backup off the bench but I don't want to see him start.
    I’d agree with no champions league this year, but with stupid Leagues Cup, plus Canadian Championship, plus playoffs, we’re looking at close to 40-43 games.

With all the travel, and possibly of playing a back 3 once in a while, you need to be able to rely on your 4th CB. Add to the fact, Mavinga has an injury history as well, and you could see a scenario where he starts 15 games. I have never like him, as people on here know. I think he’s a very flawed CB.

If your going to have a bad CB, might as well not pay him a ton, and use the funds elsewhere. I’d honestly rather cut him, and see what we have in Dunn. But my first option would be to find a veteran replacement.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    But to be fair it's not like any of them managed any better after leaving here. I think in the case of these players it's that we chose to take terrible players on loan to fit into our terrible team. Remember who was calling the shots then. Almost everyone we chose was trash. Those were the Andy Iro days.
    Not true. Bostock has had a terrific career, in better leagues than MLS. Look it up.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just an FYI - the Leagues cup could be up to 4 games - there are 16 teams in it this coming season. Single elimination tournament against top LigaMx teams - I think TFC will be treating it as a measuring stick of how good the team is.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Just an FYI - the Leagues cup could be up to 4 games - there are 16 teams in it this coming season. Single elimination tournament against top LigaMx teams - I think TFC will be treating it as a measuring stick of how good the team is.
    Stupid money grab like the super league or whatever. Wouldn't pay any attention to it if I were TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    I’d agree with no champions league this year, but with stupid Leagues Cup, plus Canadian Championship, plus playoffs, we’re looking at close to 40-43 games.

With all the travel, and possibly of playing a back 3 once in a while, you need to be able to rely on your 4th CB. Add to the fact, Mavinga has an injury history as well, and you could see a scenario where he starts 15 games. I have never like him, as people on here know. I think he’s a very flawed CB.

If your going to have a bad CB, might as well not pay him a ton, and use the funds elsewhere. I’d honestly rather cut him, and see what we have in Dunn. But my first option would be to find a veteran replacement.

Maybe it's time to pluck Didic and Carducci respectively from the CPL before Fucktreal and Shitcouver figure it out...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canuckistan View Post
    Maybe it's time to pluck Didic and Carducci respectively from the CPL before Fucktreal and Shitcouver figure it out...
    Would definitely grab Carducci. He could challenge Westburg for the #1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This actually made me laugh out loud.

Haven’t seen a ton of Carducci, but from what I have, he looks like he be a capable backup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's mindboggling how much y'all put so much stock in Endoh...

For what we pay Jozy and that coveted DP spot, is it worth it to only have him for half the season...(I'm a Jozy fan, but is that good business?)

We have that DP spot...just getting sick of the FO side show...
    NO, that is shitty business.
    No way in hell Jozy should be paid more than 3 million.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Not true. Bostock has had a terrific career, in better leagues than MLS. Look it up.
    You could see he had loads of talent when here, was just a bad situation here. Obviously.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, why are there 2000 people in the forum right now?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Stupid money grab like the super league or whatever. Wouldn't pay any attention to it if I were TFC
    The LigaMx teams take it seriously - mostly because the money involved is bigger then CCL. I would be very surprised if Manning & the players dosn't make it a 4th priority this season. We will have to have a slightly bigger roster because of it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If you consider Second division France and Second division Belgium better than MLS - Sure. I personally wouldn't say that they are that much better than MLS.
    Even with that little bit of success (1, maybe 2 great seasons) he also hasn't stuck anywhere either. 6 teams in 6 years after leaving us - and he's again, currently on loan. 13 clubs in his entire career...

I wouldn't say he managed any better after leaving here. He's still the same player that teams don't want to hang on to.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could write an essay in rebuttal to this but, with the exception of a young player who cannot get minutes, loans never work. Bostock, Stefanovic, Brockie, were all busts.

We did incredibly well with Benezet given how badly these things generally go.

But could it have gone better? Would he have tried to be the hero and lunged at Leerdam if he'd been a signed player? (Obviously this last question is a bit ridiculous. But I wonder about that.)
    The winter is long and old fogies like myself like a pleasant footie discussion. So pull up a chair by the fire, pour yourself a glass, and let's discuss loans...

You're correct that they are primarily useful for getting young players exposure and I'd agree that they often don't turn into purchases, especially in MLS. However, how do you determine if they "work?" I'd say borrowing Benezet was helpful for the team, even if it wasn't as happy for the player in the end.

If a purchase and successful career afterwards is the measure, one only has to look at Fanendo Adi. In 2014 the Timbers loaned him from Copenhagen, and he played 9 games, scoring 3 goals. They liked what they saw, and exercised the purchase option. He went on to play for four more years for them, playing 120 games and scoring 50 goals, and formed an integral part of the 2015 MLS Cup winning side.

So sometimes loans do "work," in the sense of obtaining a long term useful player.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    If you consider Second division France and Second division Belgium better than MLS - Sure. I personally wouldn't say that they are that much better than MLS.
    Even with that little bit of success (1, maybe 2 great seasons) he also hasn't stuck anywhere either. 6 teams in 6 years after leaving us - and he's again, currently on loan. 13 clubs in his entire career...

I wouldn't say he managed any better after leaving here. He's still the same player that teams don't want to hang on to.
    Since you have looked him up, why are you omitting that he has had real success in Ligue Un and played top flight in Turkey?

What percentage of players in MLS history have EVER gone on to play a single game in a Ligue Un or Turkey?

He has done better, it’s not an argument.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-14-2020 at 09:57 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bloody hell this off season is dull

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since you have looked him up, why are you omitting that he has had real success in Ligue Un and played top flight in Turkey?

What percentage of players in MLS history have EVER gone on to play a single game in a Ligue Un or Turkey?

But to your loan argument, loans can work and benefit both player and team if the team selects a player that fits a clear need and he fits into the system. I though Jansen worked out pretty good for a loan, in that the loan in question was essentially a tryout. Auro's was fine as well and even Vitti's wasn't bad when our team was absolute garbage.

I wouldn't call the loan with intent to buy option a complete waste based on a bunch of losers we picked up to fill out our supreme loser squad back in the day. Bostock actually wasn't that bad here either but he was during the Nelson era when things were just starting to turn around. Hard to integrate loanees when everything was in flux and being figured out on the fly, including tactics and shape. Regardless, we have had some good ones and other teams like the Gals have had quite a few decent loanees too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Auro is clearly an example of one that worked. Obviously nothing is black or white. I don’t agree with the other two. Would also argue about the Gals.

If I find time, will write a longer post digging in.

I think they are way overused by MLS and TFC, and basically as a way of papering over transfer window failure.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they are way overused by MLS and TFC, and basically as a way of papering over transfer window failure.
    With the CBA as it was previously, doing loans was the safest bet especially with transfer fees counting against the cap. The high amount of MLS loans had to be at least somewhat attributed to the amortization of transfer fees. Hopefully they scrap that and then things can operate more "normally".

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm not omitting them out - I don't know why, but you are over-inflating what he's done since he left.

He didn't have success in Top Flight leagues of Europe.
    He played as many games in Turkey as he did with TFC (did squat) and did so well with Toulouse that they loaned him out to a Second division team England after only 16 games.

He had success in Second divison Belgium and in Ligue 2 - equivalent to MLS. Given time with TFC and better management, he probable could've had the same success here as he did in those other lower division leagues.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 01-14-2020 at 03:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The high amount of MLS loans is a direct result of the league trying to avoid teams (over)spending on busts. Every MLS loan must include an option to buy - this is MLS lessons learned from the original NASL. Can't fault the teams for this.

If you want things to operate more normally then MLS needs to part ways with the single entity setup. Essentially today they are just protecting their own interests with these loans.

Convenient timing, this was mentioned as an item for the current CBA although I won't be holding my breathe.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The LigaMx teams take it seriously - mostly because the money involved is bigger then CCL. I would be very surprised if Manning & the players dosn't make it a 4th priority this season. We will have to have a slightly bigger roster because of it.
    100% cuz the money. Don't think it's even sanctioned by Concacaf as a real tournament.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing with the Mexican teams is they will have many of the same teams in the Leagues Cup and the Champions League. While the MLS made it so only teams not in CCL will go to the LC, LigaMX is making it a bunch of the same teams (ie. the Clausera and Apertura champs make both tournaments) - some teams will be different between the two (maybe). So maybe some of the mexican teams will make it a secondary priority since they have CCL to worry about too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    The high amount of MLS loans is a direct result of the league trying to avoid teams (over)spending on busts. Every MLS loan must include an option to buy - this is MLS lessons learned from the original NASL. Can't fault the teams for this.

If you want things to operate more normally then MLS needs to part ways with the single entity setup. Essentially today they are just protecting their own interests with these loans.

Convenient timing, this was mentioned as an item for the current CBA although I won't be holding my breathe.
    I can understand why, to a group of owners who are separated from the reality of the game, loans sound great. Try before you buy, etc, etc...

The issue is, if you constrict yourselves only to players open to loans, the market narrows. Pozuelo and too many others to count would never have hit this league if a loan was the only option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

#TFCLive Translation: @LaurentCiman23
    will no longer be considered a foreign player in MLS. He has just obtained his permanent Canadian residence.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He announced earlier this week he was working with a Montreal area agency as well.

Ciman and his family seem to have made choice - happy for them. He's a decent #3 CB for us.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What real success? The part where he was dropped after two months? Or where he was shipped out after a year? Or that he couldn’t even manage to get 1000 minutes? All at one of the worst clubs in the league too.

His time in turkey. Oh where he was also dropped after two months and shipped out within 5.

I had the pleasure of watching him play for Forest when they came down to the Valley this season and surprisingly he actually managed to get on the pitch, no surprise he wasn’t much good though. Nor a surprise he’s barely featured since.

Why are you omitting the fact he’s resoundingly failed every time he’s tried to step up league?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He announced earlier this week he was working with a Montreal area agency as well.

Ciman and his family seem to have made choice - happy for them. He's a decent #3 CB for us.
    If I remember correctly he has a child with Autism or some other condition which requires specialized care which they had in Montreal. Did he move his family to TO? I'm sure he could get the same care here.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaceyWinger View Post
    If I remember correctly he has a child with Autism or some other condition which requires specialized care which they had in Montreal. Did he move his family to TO? I'm sure he could get the same care here.
    He wants the care in French.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And his family stayed in Montreal.

Ciman commutes - there's a story there for some enterprising journalist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If everyone remembers he was a very difficult decision for mls cup between him and Omar

Ciman is very good