Page 38 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 2348
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaceyWinger View Post
    If I remember correctly he has a child with Autism or some other condition which requires specialized care which they had in Montreal. Did he move his family to TO? I'm sure he could get the same care here.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomLawrence View Post
    He wants the care in French.
    Montreal is one of the leading centres in the world for autism care in French.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Montreal is one of the leading centres in the world for autism care in French.
    Fair enough. Great news for him and his family then that he gets to add to the reasons to keep things stable here at TFC. I can only imagine how tough it would be to try to manage moving your family all over the place chasing football, while having a child who more than others needs stability and language specific supports.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    It has quietly been one of, if not the most significant off seasons in MLS history if you take a look around at the incoming bodies and some of the strong rumors out there (Chicharito). It has become a bit of an arms race hasn't it. Hoping TFC makes a splash with this DP slot, I am not expecting to see much other than that based on what I've read.
    Regarding the open DP slot that Toronto FC does have, I've actually now come across this article from The Athletic (not sure if it's already been posted on these boards), which I'm thinking is a potential reason why one hasn't been signed yet (not that I am saying it is the reason why).

https://theathletic.com/1520302/2020...ayer-signings/

In short, it basically mentions the following

- the "product strategy committee" (as if I had even heard of this before seeing this article) is looking to change the way DP players are paid, so that either one of the DPs must be under 23 (in which case a team can spend as much as they want), or failing that, then one of the DPs cannot be paid more then $1 million/season, plus the associated budget hit, which is currently $530,000

- discussions are at an early stage, likely won't go into into effect until 2021 at the earliest

- if a team does have 3 DPs, and none are under 23 when changes are made, it is not clear those contracts would be grandfathered in, or have to be compliant immediately

- the rationale is to sell more players, and the young stars are the easiest to sell

- also potentially a reaction of what appears to be a widening between the top teams in MLS and the rest of the league, and parity is on the downswing

- but can also be a problem competing in champions league and leagues cup

- also brought up the example of the 2017 season of Toronto FC, perhaps the best team in MLS history. Under the proposed changes, would not be able to have Bradley, Altidore & Giovinco all on the same team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post
    Regarding the open DP slot that Toronto FC does have, I've actually now come across this article from The Athletic (not sure if it's already been posted on these boards), which I'm thinking is a potential reason why one hasn't been signed yet (not that I am saying it is the reason why).

https://theathletic.com/1520302/2020...ayer-signings/

In short, it basically mentions the following

- the "product strategy committee" (as if I had even heard of this before seeing this article) is looking to change the way DP players are paid, so that either one of the DPs must be under 23 (in which case a team can spend as much as they want), or failing that, then one of the DPs cannot be paid more then $1 million/season, plus the associated budget hit, which is currently $530,000

- discussions are at an early stage, likely won't go into into effect until 2021 at the earliest

- if a team does have 3 DPs, and none are under 23 when changes are made, it is not clear those contracts would be grandfathered in, or have to be compliant immediately

- the rationale is to sell more players, and the young stars are the easiest to sell

- also potentially a reaction of what appears to be a widening between the top teams in MLS and the rest of the league, and parity is on the downswing

- but can also be a problem competing in champions league and leagues cup

- also brought up the example of the 2017 season of Toronto FC, perhaps the best team in MLS history. Under the proposed changes, would not be able to have Bradley, Altidore & Giovinco all on the same team
    Older DPs can only be paid a maximum of 1 million? No way they do that. Not possible. As much as it's good to go for younger DPs, they can't completely neuter the chance to bring in big name players from overseas. That would be commercial suicide.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That story was a trial balloon put out by 2 ownership groups, who were both mentioned by the writer.

Vancouver

Dallas

The balloon was made of lead. Almost universally panned by journos & fans. The only people who would like this are cheapskate owners and there is no way in Hades that NYC & others who want to spend money hamper themselves in this way.

IIRC, there was talk put out by owners prior to the the last 2 CBA's about changes to the DP system - both times, nothing changed. The strategy seems to be to create friction between the DP's at the table & the non-DP's.

We have heard consistantly from TFC that they are working to get a new DP - we heard strong rumours from decent sources that Ballotelli was under discussion (and rejected ultimately). If people think for one moment that this league is going to not let a team get Mario Ballotelli because some cheapskate owners don't want to spend money on a 3rd DP....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pre-season starts on the 23rd and no 3rd DP yet.

Nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post

Nice.
    Its not a big deal, look at last year with POzuelo, its worth the wait to get the right guy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be shocked if we get anyone before the season.

More likely someone comes in the summer window when more players are available.

Technically, we still have the same 3 DPs as before who are more than capable to get the job done.
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Its not a big deal, look at last year with POzuelo, its worth the wait to get the right guy.
    Why so blasse? We don't want TFC to just sneak into the playoffs, we want a home playoff game at least and hopefully the Supporters Shield.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Why so blasse? We don't want TFC to just sneak into the playoffs, we want a home playoff game at least and hopefully the Supporters Shield.
    The team we had in the 2nd half of the season was a contender. That is not a team that sneaks into the playoffs. This additional DP takes us back into 2017 mode - a team that chases records, not other teams.
    I'm ok to wait until the summer to get an undisputed winner - someone who you know will work out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not as concerned about a DP as much as just some depth and filling spots with domestics or regular salaried players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post

Nice.
    I’m with you on this.

How much of last season was wasted not having new signings on the field and familiar with their teammates?

Front office needs to get on with it. No excuses this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
    I'd be shocked if we get anyone before the season.

More likely someone comes in the summer window when more players are available.

Technically, we still have the same 3 DPs as before who are more than capable to get the job done.
    Wasn't Bradley's whole thing that the team should use the DP spot that he gave up to improve the team because he just wants to win? I hope if they are going to wait until Summer they are being up front with him.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    I like to use that as a bad example, not a good example. Pozuelo was available no problem last January, when he was talking to a Saudi club. It was big news at the time in Belgium, and TFC was supposedly already tracking Pozuelo. However TFC management still had their heads up their a$$es, telling everyone "steady as she goes" for the 2019 season, despite Giovinco trying to renegotiate & stretch his deal since the conclusion of the 2017 playoffs. We could have avoided the whole "transfer soap" business with Genk, avoided pissing them off, Pozuelo could have had a bit of a break and a pre-season with the team, as well as being available to play when CCL started.

Plus TFC was waiting for the Pozuelo deal before making other decisions, which delayed many of the other acquisitions. Instead TFC bombed out of CCL, and started the season behind the eight ball. It worked out OK in the end, Pozuelo avoided major injury despite playing umpteen months in a row. But no need to use that season as a model for planning and player acquisition. We could have avoided some of the headache.

TFC is too thin in the attack. At times last year Altidore was playing full games when it didn't look like he should, but TFC had no reasonable alternative. Likely one reason for his lengthy injury. This season I don't want Altidore or Vanney to feel pressure to play him more than is optimal. Mullins isn't enough of a backup, and I don't want to see Pozuelo on the wing again. Get 'er Done Curtis & Co, you're telling me there's no player available in the whole wide world of footy who could do a job in MLS? They could have already had some prospects lined up, none of this is surprising for TFC.

My hope is that they already have targets. Remember that most of the world's transfer windows close in January. After that, teams are very reluctant to let players go, as they can't replace them, despite MLS' window being open much longer.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 01-15-2020 at 10:39 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I'm ok to wait until the summer to get an undisputed winner - someone who you know will work out.
    You have much more confidence in Curtis than I have.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think you have enough. He did reasonably well, some would say very well in his first season here. He started slow but had literally no time on the job before the pre-season began. I don't like our inactivity either but I won't worry about it until we start camp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it means waiting for the summer for a guy like Willian and Mertens you wait instead of signing someone from liga mx or something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the Euro market open until the 31st, I wonder if they have some deals in place but are waiting on those teams to sign replacements before pulling the trigger. Ie) TFC wants player A and team X is okay with selling him and are waiting until they sign player B to replace A first. That's my overly optimistic view.

Also, technically the US/Canada window opens February 7th, so I don't think we can officially sign anyone until that date, which would work out with my previously mentioned overly optimistic view.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What about Curtis makes you have no confidence in him?
    The guy came in just as the team needed what was essentially a rebuild - he did it in half a season and the team made it to the MLS Cup final after an impressive 2nd half of the season.

Even if all the moves were not his and made by someone else in the club - which I'm sure Curtis haters believe - whomever did build that squad is still with the team and probably still pulling those strings.

So what about this team or the moves they made last season makes you believe they can't get the job done?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the press that covers the team are sleeping like always,who is our insider?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The guy came in just as the team needed what was essentially a rebuild - he did it in half a season and the team made it to the MLS Cup final after an impressive 2nd half of the season.

Even if all the moves were not his and made by someone else in the club - which I'm sure Curtis haters believe - whomever did build that squad is still with the team and probably still pulling those strings.

So what about this team or the moves they made last season makes you believe they can't get the job done?
    It's not that there's solid evidence that he can't do the job, it's just that there isn't solid evidence that he can.

I'm not ready to just sit back and say "In Curtis I trust" and not be concerned that we haven't signed anyone, despite it being obvious months before season's end that Bradley was going to give TFC a discount (unless we won the MLS Cup).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not that there's solid evidence that he can't do the job, it's just that there isn't solid evidence that he can.
    He came in on short notice to a team that stunk up the league in 2018, made some changes (admittedly late changes), but he made us a top 5 team in the league by seasons end and we got to the final.

I am not sure exactly what can be considered as evidence that he can do the job if all the moves he made in his first season are apparently a wash.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    the press that covers the team are sleeping like always,who is our insider?
    Davidson had an interview with Curtis about a week ago indicating they were working on things.

Giovinco was officially signed on the 19th, BTW.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Davidson had an interview with Curtis about a week ago indicating they were working on things.
    Our FO is remarkably quiet these days. No leaks at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    With the Euro market open until the 31st, I wonder if they have some deals in place but are waiting on those teams to sign replacements before pulling the trigger. Ie) TFC wants player A and team X is okay with selling him and are waiting until they sign player B to replace A first. That's my overly optimistic view.

Also, technically the US/Canada window opens February 7th, so I don't think we can officially sign anyone until that date, which would work out with my previously mentioned overly optimistic view.
    This comes up every window. The window specifically pertains to the transfer of player registrations. A deal can be done and announced at any time. The players registration can only move between clubs and federations when the buying clubs window is open. So TFC can conclude a deal and announce it today. Their player registration wouldnt move until Feb 7th.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure they could also train before that date as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, they just cant play in official competitions until the registration has been transferred.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    He came in on short notice to a team that stunk up the league in 2018, made some changes (admittedly late changes), but he made us a top 5 team in the league by seasons end and we got to the final.

I am not sure exactly what can be considered as evidence that he can do the job if all the moves he made in his first season are apparently a wash.
    He messed up the Pozuelo file majorly. It looked like Manning had to be involved to straighten it out. He was coming in mid-situation so he deserves a conditional pass, but he needs to prove himself this year.

We don't really know what happened at RBNY, so we can't judge what happened THERE, even if it doesn't look good.

So I think he has no real track record and needs to prove that he can be a GM for an ambitious team like TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totally agree, but I suspect you are wasting your time debating that here. For some reason, there are some - not all, but some - posters here who just use everything to throw dirt at the FO. Curtis is blamed for everything he does for some reason as if he's a complete idiot, when his track record seems to suggest he has at least some idea about what he's doing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My worry is the gap between public statements and actual action. Curtis and Manning created and encouraged expectations of a major scoring DP. I think they will deliver, late like Bradelys contract and Poz, but the uncertainty is worrying. It does raise the possibility that they are not going to succeed.