Page 39 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 2348
  1. #1141
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,787
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Red View Post
    Totally agree, but I suspect you are wasting your time debating that here. For some reason, there are some - not all, but some - posters here who just use everything to throw dirt at the FO. Curtis is blamed for everything he does for some reason as if he's a complete idiot, when his track record seems to suggest he has at least some idea about what he's doing.
    Thats not really fair to Oldtimer who merely said "the jury is out" on Curtis. Which is entirely reasonable. Poz was a mess; Omar is down to Bradley and Altidore recruiting him; it is unclear what other moves he should fully get credit for - like Laryea and Deleon

    He hasn't won over some of us yet. I hope he does.

  2. #1142
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    378
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    If it means waiting for the summer for a guy like Willian and Mertens you wait instead of signing someone from liga mx or something.
    Mertens was rumoured to be going to Arsenal... just imagine 6 points and the MLS final would have been in Toronto (Seattle was fun to go to... but nothing beats winning in Toronto). I do think we are in better shape than last year, but lets get it done and I would prefer not to have another Houston debacle.

  3. #1143
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,037
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    My worry is the gap between public statements and actual action. Curtis and Manning created and encouraged expectations of a major scoring DP. I think they will deliver, late like Bradelys contract and Poz, but the uncertainty is worrying. It does raise the possibility that they are not going to succeed.
    This. The way they say things make it sound like signings are imminent or very soon. But in reality takes weeks/months. Either they give poor public statements or they can't close deals.

  4. #1144
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    4,577
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    they give poor public statements
    I think this because Curtis came from NYRB where they get no press and nobody cares what happens so speaking this way doesn't really matter.

  5. #1145
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,787
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I think this because Curtis came from NYRB where they get no press and nobody cares what happens so speaking this way doesn't really matter.
    Or he came from RBNY and has to create a buzz each time he speaks given how hard it is to break through there - either way you have an interesting point.

  6. #1146
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3,156
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ultra & proud View Post
    i think this because curtis came from nyrb where they get no press and nobody cares what happens so speaking this way doesn't really matter.
    why'd u fire petke

  7. #1147
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3,156
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    This. The way they say things make it sound like signings are imminent or very soon. But in reality takes weeks/months. Either they give poor public statements or they can't close deals.
    Some of the biggest gripes I have with the current FO are entirely brought on by the FO. Two weeks two weeks two weeks two weeks two weeks. No one asked them for that info. Before pre season. No one asked them for that info either. If you're going to set your own deadlines meet them.

  8. #1148
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    827
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Do you think Toronto will strengthen the starting 11 before preseason from last year or we in for a quiet transfer season

  9. #1149
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    133
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    A lot of teams have improved big time for this year. And we got lucky vs NYC and Atlanta...I don't think some accept that, but we did. We need another striker and a winger. I don't think Gallardo is going to deliver at all until proven. The vets are a year older too. We need at least 2 starter quality players to add. FO bette get their act together instead of giving us hope and delaying things.

  10. #1150
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,787
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Some of the biggest gripes I have with the current FO are entirely brought on by the FO. Two weeks two weeks two weeks two weeks two weeks. No one asked them for that info. Before pre season. No one asked them for that info either. If you're going to set your own deadlines meet them.
    precisely.

  11. #1151
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3,156
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    For the record, right now we are worse than we ended last season. Bradley is TAM now, sure. But we still don't have Benezet's replacement, which should be the incoming DP.

    Factually we are minus (at least) a TAM player right now.

  12. #1152
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    The Ocean at the End of the Lane
    Posts
    1,059
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    let's not get our knickers in a knot - we have a very strong team as it stands.

    the market is fluid and things change

    i'd rather than just because something seemed in the works, and they alluded to it, that because situations changed they didn't just pull the trigger for the sake of quelling the masses

    rather take their time and be patient and pragmatic.

    add supporting pieces and wait for the summer window if that provides better options

    also with Jozy starting the season healthy we look pretty strong - especially as there are no concacaf champions league games

  13. #1153
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    515
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Now, now, now...Gentlemen (and Ladies), lower your expectations regarding the time it takes for TFC to get things done. After all this is a team that discloses its pre-season one week or so before it actually begins. Two weeks in real Brazilian time is an eternity. In African time....??? So relax, things will get done when they get done. And the paying classes will only need to continue salivating! Bonsoir a tous/toutes

  14. #1154
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    beautiful downtown bolton
    Posts
    3,239
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luanda View Post
    Now, now, now...Gentlemen (and Ladies), lower your expectations regarding the time it takes for TFC to get things done. After all this is a team that discloses its pre-season one week or so before it actually begins. Two weeks in real Brazilian time is an eternity. In African time....??? So relax, things will get done when they get done. And the paying classes will only need to continue salivating! Bonsoir a tous/toutes
    i agree that the club is slow with info.they wanna be big league and charge big league prices,but the PR and media department are like aaa baseball.i really enjoyed the bagel bit today..jezzz

  15. #1155
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    4,813
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    This comes up every window. The window specifically pertains to the transfer of player registrations. A deal can be done and announced at any time. The players registration can only move between clubs and federations when the buying clubs window is open. So TFC can conclude a deal and announce it today. Their player registration wouldnt move until Feb 7th.
    True, they could, but that leaves the door open for something going wrong and them having to backpeddle, no?

    Probably better to wait until our window has opened before announcing anything.

    But on that note, I think our window should open sooner. Our season now ends and starts sooner, I think teams should be able to get guys in by end of January.

  16. #1156
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    48
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I love the chicken littles who believe that the sky is falling.

    The window opened on 1 January, we still have over a week before the start of preseason. We could very well be at the 99 percent stage with a big DP and just have no leaks.

    I am still fairly certain that we will start the season with Bruma. He ticks too many boxes, is too perfect a fit. Curtis and Vanney watched him play and met with his agent. We have reporting linking us with him. The only thing that put the kaibosh on this was some half baked story about a potential loan to a lower level team in Turkey.

    Why would Bruma go from Galatasary, to RB leipzig, to PSV only to accept a loan to a shit team in Turkey? How does PSV increase the value of an asset by loaning it to one of the poorer teams in a lower league? The only other Team Bruma has been linked to is Galatasaray, that makes no sense, they had him and sold him up, they aren't the kind of team to buy players at that point in their career. They buy them younger or older. At either end of the value spectrum. A 25 year old they sold two years ago for 12.5 million they won't turn around now and buy him for more.

    So we have been credibly linked with two players, Pellistri and Bruma. My guess is that the organization is just doing a good job of keeping the story under wraps. This story so far is progressing exactly as I expect. Once the deal is almost done we will start to hear more concrete rumblings.

    All the bullshit that tries to separate Curtis from his signings is laughable. Oh this one is on the organization, this one is on Bradley and Altidore, this one we were scouting before hand. Manning had to get involved in the Pozuelo deal so Curtis is a screw up. Every one of the decisions he makes he is responsible for. Regardless of where the initial scouting came from, the GM who signed them is Curtis. If the signings go wrong it is on Curtis. If they succeed Curtis did not start it, if they fail Curtis sucks. It sounds like Curtis can not succeed in some peoples eyes no matter what. Look at him as a failure and you will be surprised when he has success. History will judge him.
    We have two windows, with some pretty convincing signings in them. So far so good. This window will go a long way to establishing how he is viewed long term. Give it a rest, we have not got enough info to know whether his is good or bad GM, all we have is preconceptions and biases.

  17. #1157
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    True, they could, but that leaves the door open for something going wrong and them having to backpeddle, no?

    Probably better to wait until our window has opened before announcing anything.

    But on that note, I think our window should open sooner. Our season now ends and starts sooner, I think teams should be able to get guys in by end of January.
    Go wrong how? If the transfer is agreed then the transfer is agreed. You can seal a transfer whenever you want. Neither club can just choose to go back on it after wards. They are legally binding sales.

    Transfer window is irrelevant. Youíre not understanding what it even means. Opening the window earlier doesnít change anything. We can sign anyone we want right now. We just have to wait to register them. Seeing as we donít have any games right now then registering them is completely irrelevant.

  18. #1158
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Belleville
    Posts
    972
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Thats not really fair to Oldtimer who merely said "the jury is out" on Curtis. Which is entirely reasonable. Poz was a mess; Omar is down to Bradley and Altidore recruiting him; it is unclear what other moves he should fully get credit for - like Laryea and Deleon

    He hasn't won over some of us yet. I hope he does.
    Genuine question to you, not trying to be a smart ass. Do you have proof that the only way we got Omar was because 2 of his US team mates recruited him?. I’m not suggesting that they would not have tried to influence him by talking up the club but I am highly sceptical that they are the sole reason he signed for us but you seem to be sure that is the case. Although at the same time you are not clear of Curtis had anything to do with the Laryea and Deleon signings.
    Of course I have absolutely no proof either way but I would suggest that neither do 99% of posters on here. However, the way some people make statements about what transpired with regards to player deals suggests that they are totally certain of the facts

  19. #1159
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Belleville
    Posts
    972
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anto7 View Post
    Genuine question to you, not trying to be a smart ass. Do you have proof that the only way we got Omar was because 2 of his US team mates recruited him?. I’m not suggesting that they would not have tried to influence him by talking up the club but I am highly sceptical that they are the sole reason he signed for us but you seem to be sure that is the case. Although at the same time you are not clear of Curtis had anything to do with the Laryea and Deleon signings.
    Of course I have absolutely no proof either way but I would suggest that neither do 99% of posters on here. However, the way some people make statements about what transpired with regards to player deals suggests that they are totally certain of the facts
    And everyone is absolutely entitled to their opinion, so don’t think I was suggesting you were not. But maybe it would be better to word it “in my opinion Jozy and Bradley were responsible for bringing in Omar”(unless of course you have inside information that proves they were)

  20. #1160
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    11,412
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckistan View Post
    A lot of teams have improved big time for this year. And we got lucky vs NYC and Atlanta...I don't think some accept that, but we did. We need another striker and a winger. I don't think Gallardo is going to deliver at all until proven. The vets are a year older too. We need at least 2 starter quality players to add. FO bette get their act together instead of giving us hope and delaying things.
    I donít think we need major moves. Certain things sorted themselves out during the year and there was plenty of good development.

    Now that said, it was clear a long time ago what we needed (a FW that can score). If we donít act this window our signing better be comparatively better than all the other teamís moves this winter. Otherwise the waiting was for no particularly good reason.

  21. #1161
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckistan View Post
    A lot of teams have improved big time for this year. And we got lucky vs NYC and Atlanta...I don't think some accept that, but we did. We need another striker and a winger. I don't think Gallardo is going to deliver at all until proven. The vets are a year older too. We need at least 2 starter quality players to add. FO bette get their act together instead of giving us hope and delaying things.
    Well said Stan! we absolutely were lucky against NY and Atlanta. Bradley is on a downward slide and Josy is made of glass I wouldnt bet on him playing half the season! Im sure 90% of us fans were wondering if Bradley was done as a footballer at the start of this past season the way he started out, no sure thing he even has an average season this year. The FO has no incentive to sign a new DP which is greatly needed because there is no fan backlash. I personally have received three calls from TFC staff asking me to reconsider cancelling my season tickets.

  22. #1162
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    4,813
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TomLawrence View Post
    Go wrong how? If the transfer is agreed then the transfer is agreed. You can seal a transfer whenever you want. Neither club can just choose to go back on it after wards. They are legally binding sales.

    Transfer window is irrelevant. Youíre not understanding what it even means. Opening the window earlier doesnít change anything. We can sign anyone we want right now. We just have to wait to register them. Seeing as we donít have any games right now then registering them is completely irrelevant.
    Okay, good to know.

  23. #1163
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,762
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    For the record, right now we are worse than we ended last season. Bradley is TAM now, sure. But we still don't have Benezet's replacement, which should be the incoming DP.

    Factually we are minus (at least) a TAM player right now.
    Not 100% for sure. Benezet wasn’t really an elite contributor.

    I look at what the Raps have done with Raptors 905 in terms of filling holes (admittedly amazing relative to others in the NBA), and they have more than plugged holes from their reserves. We have been below average at this in MLS, so we tend to forget about it, but it's incredibly important in this league.

    Endoh came (back) out of nowhere last year. There is a chance that Shaffleburg, Fraser or someone else is a lot better than we realize. Frankly, one of them had better be. We are not getting the payoff from the reserves most others do.

    I hope Shaffleburg is the missing piece at wing. I am fine with waiting on the the DP to find out.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-16-2020 at 07:51 AM.
    ďWhat the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.Ē

  24. #1164
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    427
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NOMOTFCBSFROMFO View Post
    Well said Stan! we absolutely were lucky against NY and Atlanta. Bradley is on a downward slide and Josy is made of glass I wouldnt bet on him playing half the season! Im sure 90% of us fans were wondering if Bradley was done as a footballer at the start of this past season the way he started out, no sure thing he even has an average season this year. The FO has no incentive to sign a new DP which is greatly needed because there is no fan backlash. I personally have received three calls from TFC staff asking me to reconsider cancelling my season tickets.
    2 goals in the first game, yeah I was pretty sure he was done.

  25. #1165
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,787
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anto7 View Post
    Genuine question to you, not trying to be a smart ass. Do you have proof that the only way we got Omar was because 2 of his US team mates recruited him?. I’m not suggesting that they would not have tried to influence him by talking up the club but I am highly sceptical that they are the sole reason he signed for us but you seem to be sure that is the case. Although at the same time you are not clear of Curtis had anything to do with the Laryea and Deleon signings.
    Of course I have absolutely no proof either way but I would suggest that neither do 99% of posters on here. However, the way some people make statements about what transpired with regards to player deals suggests that they are totally certain of the facts
    I made this comment based on my recollection of public comments at the time.
    Omar spoke at the time of conversations with Bradley (and I believe Jozy) that influenced him to come - and it is a reasonable inference given his background that those conversations were the critical part of his recruitment. This happened with someone else as well but I have forgotten who.

    Curtis drives me crazy because of “two weeks” - a statement he makes and never delivers on. My only point is that in his body of work so far we don’t really know if he is competent or not, given the timing and other things around most of the signings he has brought in. Let’s see how he fares this window.

    I’ll give him credit for Benezet though. A good stopgap at the time.

    edit - found a source, but there were lots more: from Kolke in the Athletic November 9 2019- (referring to Bradley and Altidore at the USMNT training camp in May) "TFC's two designated players sold Gonzalez on TFC as a team that was on the brink of something special. They believed his experience, calmness and professionalism could solidify a roster that desperately needed those qualities after a start to the season that was less than ideal"
    Last edited by MightyDM; 01-16-2020 at 09:39 AM.

  26. #1166
    RPB Member Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    A word like "incompetent" is a harsh word to use for Curtis IMO. I'm sure there's a number of teams that there would be zero controversy having him.

    I'm just not sure if he's the right GM for an ambitious team like TFC that wants to be one of the elite and is quite active in the international market. My jury is out until I see enough evidence that he's the right GM for us.

    I also remember Omar saying that it was Bradley speaking to him at the USMNT camp that induced him to come. He had a number of options at the time and actually wasn't seriously thinking of Toronto until Bradley spoke to him. So no, it wasn't due to some brilliant negotiations that Omar came here.

    I'll also give Curtis some credit for Benezet, although I'll also pass him some blame for the confusion over whether Benezet would be renewed (although the agent seems to have played the bigger role in that confusion).
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 01-16-2020 at 09:45 AM.


  27. #1167
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,787
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    yes. I should really have said that it isnt clear yet whether he is effective. he is clearly competent. and I hope that he will be shown to be effective. I just dont think the evidence shows that yet, and his "two weeks" mantra (which is always wrong) leads to a feeling of discomfort with his effectiveness.

  28. #1168
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    90
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    He messed up the Pozuelo file majorly. It looked like Manning had to be involved to straighten it out.
    Since Leiweke, the club president has always been involved in major signings and the Pozuelo issues were mainly down to going after him so late due to Manning/Bez not dealing with Giovinco's contract. I don't see how Curtis can somehow come off looking worse than Manning in that situation in your eyes

    Other than the winger, we still need a back-up LB. I think Morrow has another high-level year in him but I wouldn't bet my house on it

  29. #1169
    RPB Member Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DavemTFC View Post
    Since Leiweke, the club president has always been involved in major signings and the Pozuelo issues were mainly down to going after him so late due to Manning/Bez not dealing with Giovinco's contract. I don't see how Curtis can somehow come off looking worse than Manning in that situation in your eyes
    How about not contacting Pozuelo's then current club when you are interested in the player? Sure he was in the Bosman period, but that would seem pretty basic normal practice to at least speak to his club.

    Manning had delegated doing the deal to Curtis, then had to step in when Curtis messed up.

    Giovinco's contract situation wasn't Curtis's fault.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 01-16-2020 at 10:40 AM.

  30. #1170
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    48
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I also remember Omar saying that it was Bradley speaking to him at the USMNT camp that induced him to come. He had a number of options at the time and actually wasn't seriously thinking of Toronto until Bradley spoke to him. So no, it wasn't due to some brilliant negotiations that Omar came here.
    I just re-listened to the interview Omar gave when he signed. He mentioned that they tried to get him in the first window, and failed (due to Atlas not releasing him from his loan even though they had no more games to play) and that he then signed in early May, and went to the Gold Cup where he had an opportunity to speak to Bradley and Jozy about the team and what it would be like to come here. So rather than being crucial to the signing they were simply after the fact information providers. I do not think that players even ones as important as Bradley and Jozy have squat to do with transfers, nor should they. If we relied on best friend recommendations for transfers, we would have a crap team.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •