Page 2 of 79 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’d look at stephen eustaquio if that’s at all realistic. He’s been left adrift at Cruz Azul due to a change in managers but he’s got loads of quality. If he’s recovered from injury he’d potentially be the best DM in MLS. Now that said, maybe Bradley stays or the club feels Fraser will be ready, making this all a moot point.

But task #1: find us the most dangerous wide forward in MLS. Back up the truck of money and find someone to get us excited about

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I’d look at stephen eustaquio if that’s at all realistic. He’s been left adrift at Cruz Azul due to a change in managers but he’s got loads of quality. If he’s recovered from injury he’d potentially be the best DM in MLS. Now that said, maybe Bradley stays or the club feels Fraser will be ready, making this all a moot point.

But task #1: find us the most dangerous wide forward in MLS. Back up the truck of money and find someone to get us excited about

If this article has anything to say, he'll be perfect as a pivot next to Fraser.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

Has Ryan Telfer matured enough? He had a great season in the CPL on loan. He'd be nice backup on the wing, not the main solution.
    I could see Telfer as the backup LB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I could see Telfer as the backup LB.
    Hes no left back. He played the front 3 this year for y9 and gad some beautiful goals. He could be a nice backup wing. I would loan the shaff out to get playing time and work on his finishing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noimpactinmtl View Post
    If this article has anything to say, he'll be perfect as a pivot next to Fraser.
    I get the overall thesis but I think some of the comparisons made in the article are out-to-lunch.

Here is a guy who moved on a multi million dollar fee to a big Mexican club and was heavily rumoured to be on the radar of Portuguese team. Yet, he’s “unlikely“ to pass Piette or Hitchinson in the depth chart?? If healthy and fully recovered to his previous form form he’s a top 5 player for Canada and an automatic starter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good stuff from Steve Buffery: "The word is that the club would like Bradley back next season, but not as a Designated Player. If that’s the case (or if Bradley does not return), TFC would use their third DP slot on a second striker." The article goes on to say we want to bring back Benezet.

https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer...nt-in-gallardo

I don't anticipate this team needing wholesale change, but rather some minor adjustments and we can compete for MLS Cup, SS, and CanChamp next year.

Players we need to let go:

Moor (Turns 36 next year)
    Chapman (He simply can't cut it... time to give other homegrowns a chance)
    Ciman (Played well in the playoffs, but he turns 35 next year and is a fairly expensive backup)
    Zavaleta (Perhaps his worst season in a reds jersey)

Off-season Needs:

1-2 CBs
    DP forward
    Starting right back. (Morrow has lost a step and he turns 33 next year)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    Good stuff from Steve Buffery: "The word is that the club would like Bradley back next season, but not as a Designated Player. If that’s the case (or if Bradley does not return), TFC would use their third DP slot on a second striker." The article goes on to say we want to bring back Benezet.
    DP striker... given Vanney's desire to play a 4-3-3 I have a hard time believing it'll be a true center forward.

Maybe with the new CBA Benezet's cap hit is less important, or he plays better next year after having more time in the team. I don't dislike him but I just didn't think he showed enough consistency at his salary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ciman (Played well in the playoffs, but he turns 35 next year and is a fairly expensive backup)
    You have to think Bono is in that group too, at $382,000 (over three times Q's current salary) that's a lot of money for a backup keeper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flambe View Post
    You have to think Bono is in that group too, at $382,000 (over three times Q's current salary) that's a lot of money for a backup keeper.
    I agree, but it will be difficult to offload his salary. I suspect we will have to buy him out in order to get him off our books.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless TFC cut Gallardo, will they have enough TAM for even one of Bradley or Benezet? They don't even have CCL TAM coming in, but who really knows. I'd like to see them go after a DP forward who can play up top or wide left. Benezet would be made unnecessary.

Besides the DP situation, they really need to focus on improving the backline. A solid No. 3 CB and a LB are absolute musts. I like Auro's upside but I think he's been made expendable, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, but it will be difficult to offload his salary. I suspect we will have to buy him out in order to get him off our books.
    I haven't looked at rosters of incoming teams but I'd definitely be leaving Bono unprotected in the expansion draft - maybe someone needs an MLS Cup winning goal keeper. I'd think the buy out option has to go to Zavaleta.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Unless TFC cut Gallardo, will they have enough TAM for even one of Bradley or Benezet?
    More likely than not TAM will no longer exist in the new CBA so all this MLS mumbojumbo can fade back into the obscurity from whence it came.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But how are they going to work that, do you think? Just start pretending TAM doesn't exist and count the full number against the cap?

Then the cap really will have to go up to like 10 million, at least, so they don't take up a disproportionate amount of it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    But how are they going to work that, do you think? Just start pretending TAM doesn't exist and count the full number against the cap?

Then the cap really will have to go up to like 10 million, at least, so they don't take up a disproportionate amount of it.
    All the rumors I heard is no TAM anymore. The cap is going up for sure and the owners are good with that. Most want it up a lot. What they don't want and what is the major sticking point is the basement salary level. Owners want it kept very low and have it raise very slowly while the PA want it jacked now and have a decent yearly hike.

As for what happens to TAM players now? Absorbed in the new cap or maybe they will give teams more buyouts to accomodate whatever happens.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavemTFC View Post
    The DP's are the big thing ... That signing absolutely must be a winger who can play as a center forward when needed (i.e. when Jozy gets injured).
    It will be a goal scorer - most probably be a striker. We need creativity in the 18 yard box. A Giovinco type - someone who can take a run into the 18 toward the net - right now no one on the team can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by DavemTFC View Post
    I wouldn't mind replacing Moor with a younger CB - we have our rock in Gonzalez now, it would be tough to get rid of Ciman or Zavaleta at this point, and Moor would have plenty of suitors across the league. That should free up some cap space if we find a relatively cheap domestic player who can be a reliable third-string behind OG/CM/LC
    Both Mavinga and Moor will have expiring contracts at the end of 2019. I would love to keep Moor around - hopefully the new CBA allows for this to happen. He'll retire at the end of the year.

Curious to see what Mavinga is worth - I could see the shit head Limp-act Tabernacles trying to go after him and inflating his price.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 11-12-2019 at 11:49 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer...nt-in-gallardo

I don't anticipate this team needing wholesale change, but rather some minor adjustments and we can compete for MLS Cup, SS, and CanChamp next year.

Off-season Needs:

1-2 CBs
    DP forward
    Starting right back. (Morrow has lost a step and he turns 33 next year)
    I’m sketchy on turnover just for the sake of it. Moor is probably done (no issue there).
    Ciman, while on a heavy pay packet, knows the team. Continuity is worth something IMO. I’d cut Zavaleta and bring in one of Didic or Zator. Both would be cheap and there’s potential upside.

Morrow I’m on the fence. We saw how painful it was to bring in a new RB. Do we upset the left side? Is it too late to bring back Edwards on minimal dollars?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We really only have two issues

- way too much money tied up in CBs (something like 2M)
    - not good enough on the wing or behind Jozy (need to not just get a backup for Jozy but also probably replace both of Benezet/Gallardo, and have Endoh go back to being a depth guy)

We saw the future Sunday. It's Pozo as a 10 (not a false 9) but with better skill players beside and in front of him. we can unlock any team if we have that (as we pretty much did Sunday)
    Last edited by ensco; 11-12-2019 at 12:45 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't we also getva bit of VdW tam money back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Moor will retire either this year or next. Champan is now 25 and has not shown the same development as Osorio did so time for him to go. Ciman... I raised a child with autism and I think it's the right thing to do to keep Ciman on the payroll for at least another 2 year contract to get his daughter some precious development time. Zavaleta is now 27 and in his prime so if that's his ceiling than I think he should be replaced.

Now this is all dependent on how much they raise the salary cap by. If they double it, then there's no point in not keeping some of those players as depth, except to free up some roster slots on better players. I get the feeling that the USL may be seeing a large influx of players next season...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I think Moor will retire either this year or next. Champan is now 25 and has not shown the same development as Osorio did so time for him to go. Ciman... I raised a child with autism and I think it's the right thing to do to keep Ciman on the payroll for at least another 2 year contract to get his daughter some precious development time. Zavaleta is now 27 and in his prime so if that's his ceiling than I think he should be replaced.

Now this is all dependent on how much they raise the salary cap by. If they double it, then there's no point in not keeping some of those players as depth, except to free up some roster slots on better players. I get the feeling that the USL may be seeing a large influx of players next season...
    agreed
    TFC has to be more than just about winning. Ciman (if a reasonable salary) should stay as depth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post

Just a few days ago the big debate was ciman vs Gonzalez to start Sunday.
    Ciman is very good.
    What if it OG or Mavinga get injured? Then what
    Ciman 100% has to stay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the current state of the centre back salaries which is higher than $2 million:
    Omar Gonzalez - $1,193,935, although he arrived mid-season
    Chris Mavinga - $663,333
    Laurent Ciman - $435,624
    Drew Moor - $375,000
    Eriq Zavaleta - $296,962

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pfk View Post
    Here's the current state of the centre back salaries which is higher than $2 million:
    Omar Gonzalez - $1,193,935, although he arrived mid-season
    Chris Mavinga - $663,333
    Laurent Ciman - $435,624
    This will be what it is next season though unless Mavinga moves on, which is possible. If not, he will be at a higher rate for sure.

At $435K I would keep Ciman.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    This will be what it is next season though unless Mavinga moves on, which is possible. If not, he will be at a higher rate for sure.

At $435K I would keep Ciman.
    I agree keep ciman and bring in a cheap cb from the cpl like zator or didic. Moor and zavs leaving frees up money to spend on a backup striker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mavinga is very underrated and we should do everything we can to get him locked in long term.

I am not convinced about Ciman, I feel like he is an injury away from retirement.

What we should really be worried about is getting a solid Bradley replacement, we need a DP in the position like Poz who is going to take the torch and be the core for years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    We really only have two issues

- way too much money tied up in CBs (something like 2M)
    - not good enough on the wing or behind Jozy (need to not just get a backup for Jozy but also probably replace both of Benezet/Gallardo, and have Endoh go back to being a depth guy)
    Why on earth would we get rid of Benezet and Gallardo? Benezet was improving more and more each game, and Gallardo has been described multiple times by the team as a product for the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    If we stick with a 4-3-3, the midfield 3 can essentially be a triangle with him at the top. He'd be good there.

We should go with something like this:

------------Westberg---------------
    Auro---Gonzalez---Mavinga---Morrow
    --------Delgado---Bradley-----------
    ------------Pozuelo-----------------
    ---RW-------------------LW--------
    --------------Jozy------------------

One of the wingers should be a new DP and the other wing can be a rotation of starts for Gallardo, Endoh, DeLeon, and maybe Osorio too (he's versatile enough that he can get minutes in this formation on the wing, in Delgado's spot, or in Pozuelo's spot as the situation necessitates).

The priority list for me is DP winger, backup striker, then there's a big gap and you worry about the rest (backup LB, Ciman replacement, etc.) after you've nailed the first two.
    It is very interesting - we have a strong roster in lots of ways but not a 4-3-3 roster. Not sure why Vanney is being so stubborn. We fit a 3-5-2 with the current roster very well - Ciman-Gonzalez -Mavinga; Laryea/ Auro/ Endoh - Marky-Bradley-Oso-DeLeon/Morrow; Poz; Jozy/Mullins. We also fit a 4-4-2. we are overloaded with very good MLS starters in midfield.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Why on earth would we get rid of Benezet and Gallardo? Benezet was improving more and more each game, and Gallardo has been described multiple times by the team as a product for the future.
    We see this differently. I know he scored a couple of huge goals, but Benezet didn’t do enough overall for me relative to other TAM wingers. He was not good enough Sunday.

Gallardo, give me a break. He has to go. Aketxe part deux. Curtis is just talking him up because he has merchandise to move.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We see this differently. I know he scored a couple of huge goals, but Benezet didn’t do enough overall for me relative to other TAM wingers. He was not good enough Sunday.

Gallardo, give me a break. He has to go. Aketxe part deux. Curtis is just talking him up because he has merchandise to move.
    Merchandise to move? What do you mean?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed re Benezet. Lovely player but needs to be more than that. Gallardo I don't think we can say as supporters - did not see him. But his place on the bench spoke volumes.