Page 67 of 79 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,010 of 2348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    What hype? And what would be different on Monday? And why would they want to minimize hype? Around .1% of the population of Toronto is even aware that this signing happened. There is no hype regardless of when it's announced
    Look at how our DPs have been announced in the past. You see no difference? Heck, Og went so far as to say they won’t announce it late on a Friday an hour or so before they did! We know how they usually do things.

It may mean nothing. I don’t think it does mean something.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What exactly is it you think is happening here?

Politicians release bad news on a Friday evening so the dominance over the newscycle will happen at a non peak time and hopefully blow over by Monday, so all the negative press they're eating reaches the smallest audience

TFC would have to sign Messi to come close to being anything more than a niche news story in any context and this signing hasn't produced any kind of sea of negative press. Can you tell me exactly what it is you think TFC has achieved by announcing when they did and what they would have suffered if they announced on Monday afternoon?
    I think the FO really don't care about media and the showmanship we used to have. Even if we signed a "superstar" he'd probably get announced the same way and then have a presser on a Wednesday afternoon or something.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    If this was Giovinco they wouldn’t have done it this way regardless of when he needed to sign. In the PR world Friday at 6:00 is what you do to do under-hype/bury.
    Yeah, I was surprised at the timing but when you hear the description of what went down its obvious this is an MLS rent a DP signing - he isn't a franchise player.

Everybody knows it a one year trial with the possibility of becoming a GAM signing afterwards, if it works out.

Its not a bad news drop, its a "OK, the CBA happened, lets go to Plan C and make sure he gets in with the squad move"

We'll know in 3 weeks how this works out against SJE when he gets man marked - if he has pace, he'll get free. I am looking foward to seeing what Poz can do against such a team with Gallardo & Piatti & Altidore looking for space.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What exactly is it you think is happening here?

Politicians release bad news on a Friday evening so the dominance over the newscycle will happen at a non peak time and hopefully blow over by Monday, so all the negative press they're eating reaches the smallest audience

TFC would have to sign Messi to come close to being anything more than a niche news story in any context and this signing hasn't produced any kind of sea of negative press. Can you tell me exactly what it is you think TFC has achieved by announcing when they did and what they would have suffered if they announced on Monday afternoon?

if the guy is in training this weekend. How do you hide it!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Yeah, I was surprised at the timing but when you hear the description of what went down its obvious this is an MLS rent a DP signing - he isn't a franchise player.

Everybody knows it a one year trial with the possibility of becoming a GAM signing afterwards, if it works out.

Its not a bad news drop, its a "OK, the CBA happened, lets go to Plan C and make sure he gets in with the squad move"

We'll know in 3 weeks how this works out against SJE when he gets man marked - if he has pace, he'll get free. I am looking foward to seeing what Poz can do against such a team with Gallardo & Piatti & Altidore looking for space.
    Yeah that’s all I’m saying. They see it as a risky move and don’t want to play up expectations. I’m not saying they are firing all the teachers and ending public schooling so they stuck it on a Friday in the hope no one notices.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look at how our DPs have been announced in the past. You see no difference? Heck, Og went so far as to say they won’t announce it late on a Friday an hour or so before they did! We know how they usually do things.

It may mean nothing. I don’t think it does mean something.
    They signed him on Friday, he's training this weekend. It's cool that a person on a forum said something but that is the start, middle and end of it. They gain nothing by announcing him later or earlier - we aren't even close to significant enough for it to matter. You couldn't cherry pick a minute of any day that would generate more or less 'hype' then the usual beat writers reporting the news

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They signed him on Friday, he's training this weekend. It's cool that a person on a forum said something but that is the start, middle and end of it. They gain nothing by announcing him later or earlier - we aren't even close to significant enough for it to matter. You couldn't cherry pick a minute of any day that would generate more or less 'hype' then the usual beat writers reporting the news
    That’s not true. How they announce is significant to our supporters and soccer fans who may be on the fence about season tickets or coming out to games. You can already see in this forum how their approach is working - it’s a plan B (or C), we’re not locked in past a year if it doesn’t work, etc. Expectations are already lowered.

Fine that you disagree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That’s not true. How they announce is significant to our supporters and soccer fans who may be on the fence about season tickets or coming out to games. You can already see in this forum how their approach is working - it’s a plan B (or C), we’re not locked in past a year if it doesn’t work, etc. Expectations are already lowered.

Fine that you disagree.
    Can you outline how announcing on Fri vs Mon will impact season ticket sales?

The same discussion would happen with the same writers and same forums in the same places regardless of when it was announced

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are dammed if they do. Dammed if they don't. If Piatti showed up in Cali today/tomorrow without any announcement people would be complaining too.

Do you think Vanney wants him sitting in Toronto twiddling his thumbs till next week so they can do a presser at BMO or the ACC or do you think he wants him integrated as quickly as possible?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you outline how announcing on Fri vs Mon will impact season ticket sales?

The same discussion would happen with the same writers and same forums in the same places regardless of when it was announced
    It changes the discussion from this guy has potential but may or may not work out to this is a guy that is going to be a big player in this league. Or at least that’s the hope.

Look, if I am looking to create a buzz this isn’t the way to do it. I think they’re managing expectations by doing a low key announcement. I think because they themselves aren’t sure. Just an opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    They are dammed if they do. Dammed if they don't. If Piatti showed up in Cali today/tomorrow without any announcement people would be complaining too.

Do you think Vanney wants him sitting in Toronto twiddling his thumbs till next week so they can do a presser at BMO or the ACC or do you think he wants him integrated as quickly as possible?
    Yeah I think that would be a consideration for sure. I just think if they believed this was a guy who warranted big hype the PR hacks would win out to make it a big announcement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems everyone is a little dissapointed we did not sign a 6M dp.
    To sign a 6M dp makes absolutely no business sense at all. the reasons for this have been outlined by myself in previous posts.
    The dollar value of the signing was exactly what I predicted it would be. We upgraded from a 0.5M guy (benezet to a 1.5m guy)
    is everybody forgetting this team was lights out starting around mid August

I think a lot of the anger is that TFC was only going to pay one guy the $6M.
    there was a choice at the time between Jozy and Seba
    TFC chose Jozy. TFC chose a guy that only plays at best half the games a year vs a guy that never misses a game. This pissed off all the Italian TFC fans as well as many non Italian TFC fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    It seems everyone is a little dissapointed we did not sign a 6M dp.
    To sign a 6M dp makes absolutely no business sense at all. the reasons for this have been outlined by myself in previous posts.
    The dollar value of the signing was exactly what I predicted it would be.

I think a lot of the anger is that TFC was only going to pay one guy the $6M.
    there was a choice at the time between Jozy and Seba
    TFC chose Jozy. TFC chose a guy that only plays at best half the games a year vs a guy that never misses a game. This pissed off all the Italian TFC fans as well as many non Italian TFC fans.
    What did your numbers tell us made business sense for a transfer fee before we signed Pozuelo? What did your numbers predict the cap would be for DP spend when we signed Giovinco?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What did your numbers tell us made business sense for a transfer fee before we signed Pozuelo? What did your numbers predict the cap would be for DP spend when we signed Giovinco?
    regarding poz, the team was devasted after the abrupt leaving of seba and vv leaving something had to be done fast and urgently.
    regarding seba jozy and bradley signings:that was a different time period. TFC was dead in the water, it needed something big, it needed to win a mls cup to save the franchise.
    the franchise is now well established,
    seba said it in his goodbye tweet, he was used to build the brand TFC, once that was achieved he was discarded.
    those days are gone that large spending will never happen again. mark my words

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

regarding poz, the team was devasted after the abrupt leaving of seba and vv leaving something had to be done fast and urgently.
    regarding seba jozy and bradley signings:that was a different time period. TFC was dead in the water, it needed something big, it needed to win a mls cup to save the franchise.
    seba said it in his goodbye tweet, he was used to build the brand TFC, once that was achieved he was discarded.
    And yet, after Sebas tweet and the franchise was "long established", we re-signed Jozy at an absurd 6+m and spend 10m on Pozuelo. Did your numbers land on those salary and transfer fee hits?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And yet, after Sebas tweet and the franchise was "long established", we re-signed Jozy at an absurd 6+m and spend 10m on Pozuelo. Did your numbers land on those salary and transfer fee hits?
    I wasn’t analyzing this stuff a year ago
    I’m just talking the here and now
    In 2014 there were games at 20,000. How would that have looked in the new 30,000 seat BMO?
    Something drastic had to be done
    Those days are over.
    The 3 dp’s at $7M are never coming back
    Last edited by stevep; 02-08-2020 at 11:25 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

chill out dude...they were talking big money transfers jus couple of weeks ago until this CBA young DP rule came down the road,thats why they went this route,they will spend big again.mark my words

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In 2014 there were games at 20,000. How would that have looked in the new 30,000 seat BMO?
    Those days are over.
    i do agree that 3 at 7 mil probs wont happen again.that wont happen anywhere in mls.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    i do agree that 3 at 7 mil probs wont happen again.that wont happen anywhere in mls.
    The new CBA basically prohibits it unless you happen to find an under 23 year old who currently has that market value and yet is willing to sign in MLS which will be next to nobody

That's the reason we spent less this time, MLS rules literally prohibit us from spending more on a DP, not whatever back of the napkin analytics anybody did. Cristiano Ronaldo could be begging to come to Toronto but we couldn't spend more than max TAM hit him on as our third DP. Unless someone had inside information on the CBA coming up any claims about 'knowing' the budget on this DP are laughable

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those days are over.
    Huh, so when our stadium had a capacity of around 20,000 in 2014 we had games with 20 000 attendance. Not sure what that means.
    Last edited by Redpunkfiddle; 02-08-2020 at 11:52 AM.
    That's all I'll say about that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very different times, early years of Leweike. He stated publicly that TFC would be the easiest MLSE franchise to win with first and could have the greatest initial impact.

Even our parade would not be as big today as it was then. The Raptors have made sure of that and the city expects winners. Would not want to be a Maple Leafs player right now.

The most disappointing thing about the CBA and further MLS expansion is that the league has virtually acknowledged that it will be a second tier league, unless they make some really hard decisions, which they are not prepared to. Having an under 23 DP as a optional benefit is kewl... making it mandatory is stupid.

The TFC experience still can and will be excellent but dragging 30 teams around in a non pro/rel environment is doomed to mediocracy for many.

I would still trade off the RPBs and fan experience of TFC over the atmosphere of the platinums and reds of the Maple Leafs.

TFC can continue to dominate MLS and for those that live football, will be really enjoyable.

I look at Piatti as a really good gamble. If he pans out it will be insane, if it doesn’t we still have a couple of more outliers that have the potential to pan out.

I just want us to continue to look for the Marquis player and set the bar higher for all of MLS. Let the other teams hate us for success, that will be the best result.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t know about the next few years but this league better get its shit together in advance of 2026. If there was ever a chance to springboard soccer in North America to something closer to the other professional leagues that would be it. But it will never happen if we continue to be let down by the Vancouver’s of the world.

Here’s to hoping the CSA also gets their act together and hires a real coach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We needed to structure a 3rd DP contract that gives us the ability to adapt"
    quote from curtis today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Red View Post
    The negativity on this board over the last month or two is staggering. I'm glad we made MLS cup last year, imagine how the knives would be out if 2019 had been a bad season on the pitch! Chill out guys, wait and see, it might actually turn out to be okay!!
    Dito!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy F@#$, now the thread is all about media impact, bad news is only released on Friday's at 5:30 pm, what a parcel of crap taking far to much scrolling to actually get some positive or negative views in the player himself, what a bunch of usless information and a waste of space, the same crap that was posted regarding Giovinco, VV, Gomez, Ciman, Westerberg the list goes on and on. FFS Rant is done 👎

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Holy F@#$, now the thread is all about media impact, bad news is only released on Friday's at 5:30 pm, what a parcel of crap taking far to much scrolling to actually get some positive or negative views in the player himself, what a bunch of usless information and a waste of space, the same crap that was posted regarding Giovinco, VV, Gomez, Ciman, Westerberg the list goes on and on. FFS Rant is done 
    the negativity is nonsense, there is no need for it. we got a 1.5M left winger. He is worth 1.5M dollars. It is an upgrade from at 0.50M dollar left winger in Benezet.

Atlanta draws 50,000 per game and they only spent 5.5M on dps last year
    Seattle draws 40,000 per game and they only spent 5.5M on dps last year
    LAFC the best team in the regular season spent 8.3M on dp's last year
    TFC is spending 11.5M on dps this year BE HAPPY!!

Look if you knew you were going to get somewhere between 25,000 and 27,000 per game this year, and you knew that spending 11.5m on dp's would make you a solid contender for for supporters shield would you rather spend 21M or 11.5M
    if it was your money what would you do??
    everyone here needs to ask themselves this question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This board has gone off the rails. Sheesh.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) I think there is a legit debate about this particular use of the DP slot.

2) All the people who are pointing out the strange PR part of this are saying is - this appears to be a case of the team not wanting to over promote this guy to the general public yet, in case he spits the bit or gets hurt. Which I think is absolutely what I would do if I were Bill Manning.

Some people seem really agitated about talking about this, want to shut these topics down. I don’t get why.

I can root for the player and signing, and still point these things out. if others see it differently... fine!

But I hate these dismissive takes that act like questioning anything is insane. No signing like this is easy. It could well fail, that's how it is.
    Last edited by ensco; 02-08-2020 at 12:59 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    1) I think there is a legit debate about this particular use of the DP slot.

2) All the people who are pointing out the strange PR part of this are saying is - this appears to be a case of the team not wanting to over promote this guy to the general public yet, in case he spits the bit or gets hurt. Which I think is absolutely what I would do if I were Bill Manning.

Some people seem really agitated about talking about this, want to shut these topics down. I don’t get why.

I can root for the player and signing, and still point these things out. if others see it differently... fine!

But I hate these dismissive takes that act like questioning anything is insane. No signing like this is easy. It could well fail, that's how it is.
    Right, but it could also well work. Let us wait and see!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What it do baybeeeee