Page 53 of 79 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,590 of 2348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I only saw CBs in for Arsenal so far. I do believe they would like to dump Lacazette but he's not coming anywhere around here with his pricetag.
    Oh yeah, whoops, he's a defender:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51293247

Boy, this crazy internet. You just can't trust it, huh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I can only imagine that the "Sky is falling" people believe that Benezet was the sole reason TFC made it to the finals last year. Without him, this team is nothing lol
    Certainly not the case but he added something to the team. Very okay with swapping him for another option.

Let’s not forget, when recalling last year’s success, we played some tough games along the way. Against Atlanta we were outshot by a 4:1 margin and scored on half of our attempts on net. NYC FC was more balanced but we were still outshot by nearly a 2:1 margin.

Being the road team without your best goal scoring threat, playing somewhat defensive and hitting on the counter was always going to be in the cards but margins for error were slim. Credit to the team for ultimately winning those games but keep in mind as other teams get better the onus will be for us to improve as well.

I’d like is to be ready to start the year and to have the best shot at home field advantage possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canuckistan View Post
    Nothing but living in the past comments. The reality now is that a lot of teams have improved greatly and that is being largely ignored or there is some form of justification that those teams may not do well due to new players/systems etc.

We'll see what they end up doing...since last year acquisitions references keep getting mentioned...let's see what windows they do what in....until it happens...it hasn't yet.
    Yes I agree that we have to wait and see what happens in the now as you put it, but also as you put it living in tge past and references to last year is what the sporting world always refers to, past performance and past records, I know what you are saying, but your terminology of living in the past, to me is a bit condescending and harsh to the views of others, you tend to want to make others feel like a twat, it's not what you say but how you say it, 👍👍⚽️⚽️

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I’d like is to be ready to start the year and to have the best shot at home field advantage possible.
    Well, missing Bradley for 50% of the season won't help, his leadership on field will be sorely missed too. Can't honestly seeing Fraser filling those boots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flambe View Post
    Well, missing Bradley for 50% of the season won't help, his leadership on field will be sorely missed too. Can't honestly seeing Fraser filling those boots.

Fraser performed well in his place last year. He has also looked really good for Canada. I don't expect a big drop off and Bradley won't miss half the season will he? 3-4 months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Fraser performed well in his place last year. He has also looked really good for Canada. I don't expect a big drop off and Bradley won't miss half the season will he? 3-4 months.
    Surgery on January 21st, expected to return to full fitness in approximately four months (May 21st), that's 14 games out of 34 (42%). So not quite half the season, but that's assuming there's no issues with his rehab.
    Last edited by flambe; 01-29-2020 at 12:45 PM. Reason: fact checking

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ankle injuries are notorious for taking months longer than expected to get back to full capability. I don't think he's fully back in the swing of things until September.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Ankle injuries are notorious for taking months longer than expected to get back to full capability. I don't think he's fully back in the swing of things until September.
    I don't think anybody knows anything about how serious this is.

A lot of players have never been the same after serious ankle injuries.

I am not trying to be alarmist, but I hope Manning and Curtis have a reality based approach to this.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I say that it's Bradley, who played out the rest of that game, so I expect him to be back in full training by Feb 21st.

(not quite, but if anyone is going to push himself to the limits, it's Bradley)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you ever have anything positive to say?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TFC View Post
    Well I do enjoy the BMO beer selection the last few years....

Seriously, I am a full believer in the Apostle Poz when he said "Effin team..Effin works!" We are waaay more savvy then most MLS squads.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TFC View Post
    Well I do enjoy the BMO beer selection the last few years....

Seriously, I am a full believer in the Apostle Poz when he said "Effin team..Effin works!" We are waaay more savvy then most MLS squads.
    LOL, not sure if Marc TFC is around here much, but OgtheDim is mostly very positive. Some would say, occasionally too much so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Have they?
    Ornstein reported CB Pablo Mari yesterday and reported Arsenal in talks with Southampton for a loan for Cedric Soares, a RB.

If Ornstein hasn't said anything about Arsenal acquiring a forward (makes no sense with Aubameyang, Martinelli, Lacazette (out of form) or Nketiah returning from loan), then it didn't happen.

In regard to Arsenal news, David Ornstein's tweets are as good as the official site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I would trade Bono or expose him in the expansion draft. He's an MLS quality keeper who is too good and paid too well to be backup. Westberg is better than him, but he'd be a starter on many teams.

In his place, I'd love to sign Marco Carducci from Cavalry FC. A young Canadian keeper with great potential, a real standout in the CPL. I expect transfer fees from the CPL won't be excessive.

Has Ryan Telfer matured enough? He had a great season in the CPL on loan. He'd be nice backup on the wing, not the main solution.
    Telfer signed with a team in Cyprus today.

Carducci is good but maybe he doesn't want to ride the bench?

RPB Member
    Membership Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats very disappointing news for York9 - Telfer off to Cyorus. We were hoping he would re sign for their team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/PaulTenorio/stat...91132390412288

Would of been great to get lawrence.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil744 View Post

He wanted to go abroad.

Add NYRB to the list of East teams that have gotten worse this offseason along with Atlanta, Montreal, and for now The Fire.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil744 View Post

Maybe Anderlecht will sell Najar.... that is an interesting winger. He blew out his knee and hasn’t played since last March, but is due back soon....
    Last edited by ensco; 01-30-2020 at 04:39 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The East gets worse. Lawrence was probably the best fullback in MLS.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Maybe Anderlecht will sell Najar.... that is an interesting winger. He blew out his knee and hasn’t played since last March, but is due back soon....
    He would be on the stupid allocation list though unless it gets scrapped under the new CBA. Hope so because that is just dumb.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lawrence is an example of what MLS should be doing more often but also what it does too much. He was brought in as cheap help, they wanted to keep him as cheap help but he got too good so they couldn't afford a LB at his wages so..he gets sold off.

He should always have been looked at as a project to sell. But, MLS teams are hyper focused on South America and US players to do that. The Caribbean player route through MLS is very doable for decent young players who can get good enough to play in Europe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lawrence is an example of what MLS should be doing more often but also what it does too much. He was brought in as cheap help, they wanted to keep him as cheap help but he got too good so they couldn't afford a LB at his wages so..he gets sold off.

He should always have been looked at as a project to sell. But, MLS teams are hyper focused on South America and US players to do that. The Caribbean player route through MLS is very doable for decent young players who can get good enough to play in Europe.
    That’s a great point. And people have argued many times in the past other nations in concacaf (Honduras, Costa Rica) have benefitted from the league more than Canada has.

It’s all because they have a domestic league that develops their players to a decent level where they’re ready for MLS. Maybe CANPL will be the answer for that. I find USL isn’t as development focused as you would hope for.

Edit: maybe more of a TAM signing but what about Yamil Asad?
    Last edited by ag futbol; 01-30-2020 at 05:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Telfer signed with a team in Cyprus today.

Carducci is good but maybe he doesn't want to ride the bench?
    Is there a chance that Telfer is pulling a Donheil Henry? Signing in Cyprus then loan to CPL for cypriot ciizenship or something

EDIT: His contract is until May 31st. He probably rejoins CPL after that
    https://neasalamina.com/%CE%BA%CE%B1...D-ryan-telfer/
    Last edited by rydermike; 01-30-2020 at 05:51 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Is there a chance that Telfer is pulling a Donheil Henry? Signing in Cyprus then loan to CPL for cypriot ciizenship or something
    Henry used Cyprus as a back door into EU citizenship (or residency? not sure of the exact details) so he could carry on to the UK. Not sure that works nowadays (for the UK at least).

Anyway - still crickets for the main topic...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    The East gets worse. Lawrence was probably the best fullback in MLS.
    I think something bigger is going on, especially with the extension for resolving the CBA. Every team has gotten weaker in the East including us.... makes no sense. I am guessing there are deals for many coming, just not before the 7th. The Galaxy were different, watch the age allocation go to 24 or 25, so Pavon qualifies or something to that extent, which allowed them to risk the Chicharito signing.
    Last edited by Bushmancan; 01-30-2020 at 09:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    Henry used Cyprus as a back door into EU citizenship (or residency? not sure of the exact details) so he could carry on to the UK. Not sure that works nowadays (for the UK at least).

Anyway - still crickets for the main topic...
    Wasn't it Malta? But your main point is why we are all on here. Crickets. And if you follow the EPL, all the managers are saying what little value there is in January. I am staring to believe we are going with what we have. Sure hope Ayo is fit and ready.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    I think something bigger is going on, especially with the extension for resolving the CBA. Every team has gotten weaker in the East including us.... makes no sense. I am guessing there are deals for many coming, just not before the 7th. The Galaxy were different, watch the age allocation go to 24 or 25, so Pavon qualifies or something to that extent, which allowed them to risk the Chicharito signing.
    Maybe. But the deals will not be from Europe. Which might be fine - not our strength though. Seba, Bradley, Defoe, Altidore, Poz v Auro, Janson, Gilberto, Gallardo etc.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Maybe. But the deals will not be from Europe. Which might be fine - not our strength though. Seba, Bradley, Defoe, Altidore, Poz v Auro, Janson, Gilberto, Gallardo etc.
    Big difference in money though so a little different but I liked Jansen and I like Auro. Gallardo might be good but time will tell.

To the Galaxy thing mentioned above, I bet if they do this 23 and under DP rule they allow Pavon to count because he was 23 when the loan started.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marky Delgado posted this 'cryptic' tweet:

I was thinking we should trade him simply because he has value and we're loaded in the midfield. Seems like he's already got one foot out the door.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Marky Delgado posted this 'cryptic' tweet:

I was thinking we should trade him simply because he has value and we're loaded in the midfield. Seems like he's already got one foot out the door.
    I would consider it in the summer. I would wait to see what the CBA rules on free agency and player movement are before I pulled the trigger unless of course you can hoodwink some noobs like Cinci into coughing up $1M+ in cash.