Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TFC 2019-2020 player off-season roster discussion

TFC 2019-2020

General roster discussion

Player off-season moves/speculation/rumours
    Post your speculation/information/etc. here in this thread!

Confirmed (by traditional media or the club) signings can get a separate single thread. All other "inside" and other information goes here.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 10-18-2019 at 10:12 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sooooooo..........

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the MLS website

2019 MLS Offseason Calendar
    Nov. 11-13
    1:00 PM ET
    Trade Window Opens
    Following a 10-week roster freeze, MLS clubs may sign and trade players.
    Nov. 13
    8:00 PM ET
    Trade Window Closes and Blackout Period Begins
    Blackout Period begins whereby clubs may no longer sign and/or trade players until conclusion of 2019 Expansion Draft.
    Nov. 14 Club Deadline to submit Bona Fide Offers
    MLS clubs notify the League Office in writing of players who have been extended a bona fide offer.
    Nov. 19
    5:00 PM ET
    2019 MLS Expansion Draft
    Watch live in the MLS app or on MLSsoccer.com. Inter Miami CF and Nashville SC may select up to five players each from the eligible player list. The list of players eligible for selection in the 2019 MLS Expansion Draft will be released on Nov. 16 at 10:00 AM ET. Expansion Draft Rules
    Nov. 21
    1:00 PM ET
    Club Deadline to Exercise Options
    MLS clubs notify the League Office in writing of players whose options they are exercising.
    Nov. 25
    3:00 PM ET
    End-of-Year Waivers
    The End-of-Year Waivers process is conducted in reverse order of 2019 season finish, taking into account postseason performance. Per the Expansion Priority Draft, Nashville SC will have the 25th pick and Inter Miami CF will have the final selection in each round.

Eligible for selection are players who do not meet the minimum requirements for Re-Entry Process or Free Agency. The list of players eligible for the End-of-Year Waivers will be released on Nov. 22 End-of-Year Waivers Rules
    Nov. 25
    Free Agency Opens
    Clubs may engage with players, other than their own, that are eligible for Free Agency. Free Agency eligible players are out-of-contract and option-declined players who are at least 28 years old and who have completed a minimum of eight service years. The complete list of Free Agents will be released on Nov. 22.
    Nov. 26
    2019 MLS Re-Entry Process – Stage 1
    The Re-Entry Process, Stage 2 is conducted in the same format as Stage 1 and consists of MLS players who were not selected in the Stage 1. Not all unselected Stage 1 players will be available for selection as players may re-sign with their previous club between stages or may opt out of the process.

The list of players eligible for selection in the Re-Entry Process – Stage 1 will be released on Nov. 22. MLS Re-Entry Process Rules
    Dec. 3
    2019 MLS Re-Entry Process – Stage 2
    The Re-Entry Process is conducted in reverse order of 2019 season finish, taking into account postseason performance. Per the Expansion Priority Draft, Nashville SC will have the 25th pick and Inter Miami CF will have the final selection in each round.

The list of players eligible for selection in the Re-Entry Process – Stage 2 will be released on Nov. 3 at 10:00 AM ET. MLS Re-Entry Process Rules

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 other things to take into account

A rested Poz should be even better - which should make other teams very very afraid.

&

The CBA is up with a good possibility of a strike affecting the CCL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They have to get the CBA worked out. They cannot afford to strike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking forward to the thoughts on this thread.
    If you win your weaknesses are not realized, when you lose weaknesses are exposed and strength is gained

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we have the same exact team we will not achieve greatness, start from top to bottom from management to reserves

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right off the bat I am sure in the next day or two , we will see some options declined especially towards the end of the roster.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am willing to say this again, we need to figure out our attack, as Altidore is very fragile like glass, and is injury prone, we need to TAM Bradley or move him on away from this club as he isnt pulling effective weight, our coach has been lucky with a lot of the games, but was almost no passion in the regular season, we luckily got past DC, NYCFC and ATL; but eventually it would catch up to us

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The trick will be keeping the core mentality of the Effin Team that Effin Works - cause we were the better team in 3 out of 4 playoff games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the end of the day going forward we need to look for a younger replacement for Morrow and another striker preferably younger and can play with their back to goal.

besides that clear out some cap space and replenish the bottom of the roster. And keep our captain Bradley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley resigned on gam

Sign a versitile dp winger/striker to fill in for jozy when needed.

Resign benezet.

Let bono, zavs, mullens and moor go to free up cap space.

Bring telfer back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They need to keep Benezet and get another striker who's not hurt as much as Jozy. Bradley can come back on a reduced deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need a quality reliable striker. We made it to the MLS Cup final essentially playing 4 games games without a striker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, Benezet should be let go.

We are set up in a 4-3-3, yet don't have a credibly threatening winger on the team. A guy who is good enough that him being in a 1-on-1 situation with the opponent's fullback is a real problem. Having someone like that would open up so many possibilities offensively.

Benezet is not that guy but we're paying him like one. 600k is a max budget roster spot. That should be a guy who's vital to the team. Benezet is too inconsistent. We can replace him with a DP and it will have no effect on our cap. So let's pour resources into the biggest area of need - a goal-scoring winger.

We can pay a DP winger $4 million, drop Benezet, re-sign Bradley for $1.5 million and put a portion of Benezet's salary towards a good backup striker.

If Benezet was around 350k I could see a role for him, but he's not worth what he's at. Let's use the opportunity with an open DP slot to address a real need and re-allocate resources to better fill in the other gaps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Morrow is for sure on a downward trajectory due to age

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We also need to play Poz as a central midfielder and not on the wing. If Jozy was healthy and started today would Poz have been on the wing? How will Poz be used next season? I am surprised that this is not more of a talking point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    We also need to play Poz as a central midfielder and not on the wing. If Jozy was healthy and started today would Poz have been on the wing? How will Poz be used next season? I am surprised that this is not more of a talking point.
    If we stick with a 4-3-3, the midfield 3 can essentially be a triangle with him at the top. He'd be good there.

We should go with something like this:

------------Westberg---------------
    Auro---Gonzalez---Mavinga---Morrow
    --------Delgado---Bradley-----------
    ------------Pozuelo-----------------
    ---RW-------------------LW--------
    --------------Jozy------------------

One of the wingers should be a new DP and the other wing can be a rotation of starts for Gallardo, Endoh, DeLeon, and maybe Osorio too (he's versatile enough that he can get minutes in this formation on the wing, in Delgado's spot, or in Pozuelo's spot as the situation necessitates).

The priority list for me is DP winger, backup striker, then there's a big gap and you worry about the rest (backup LB, Ciman replacement, etc.) after you've nailed the first two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are a lot of high priority moves that need to be made this off-season. A new DP, Bradley re-signing, moving on from Moor and potentially Morrow, triggering or not triggering Benezet's purchase.

The number one has to be sorting out our striker situation. Jozy is clearly unreliable and we can't win at the highest level without him. So, either he needs to go and be replaced or we need a legitimate and capable back-up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    There are a lot of high priority moves that need to be made this off-season. A new DP, Bradley re-signing, moving on from Moor and potentially Morrow, triggering or not triggering Benezet's purchase.

The number one has to be sorting out our striker situation. Jozy is clearly unreliable and we can't win at the highest level without him. So, either he needs to go and be replaced or we need a legitimate and capable back-up.
    I'm wondering if he'd also drop down to a TAM contract for the good of the team.

We could get 2 more DPs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    I'm wondering if he'd also drop down to a TAM contract for the good of the team.

We could get 2 more DPs.
    Guy just got a raise, so I doubt it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Benezet is on loan, so retaining him may cost a transfer fee, which could I guess throw him to DP if it's high enough. Now, his team got relegated, so that may be an incentive for the team to get rid of him cheaper. Transfermarkt says his deal expires July 1, 2020 (not the most reliable source), which means maybe we can get him on a free? or wait until July to get him for free.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We can do better than Benezet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ryan fraser would be a nice pickup as a dp winger. Hes on his way out at bournemouth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Ryan fraser would be a nice pickup as a dp winger. Hes on his way out at bournemouth.
    On his way out to Liverpool, not MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    On his way out to Liverpool, not MLS.
    That was shot down already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The DP's are the big thing - Pozuelo just signed and Altidore just re-signed so they're probably guarantees to be back, especially Poz. I have a feeling Bradley is going to take the TAM contract, or whatever it will be after the CBA negotiations, leaving us space for one new DP signing. That signing absolutely must be a winger who can play as a center forward when needed (i.e. when Jozy gets injured). Benezet was pretty good this year but not worth his current salary let alone what he could be on if he were to be signed permanently - we should let him go and keep the rest of our current forwards/wingers to round out the depth chart

The midfield is what I'm most unsure about. I don't want to see Pozuelo somewhere other than midfield next season, he's at his best when he's deeper. But then our midfield also needs a workhorse which Bradley at this point in his career is not. So if Bradley stays Delgado (or someone better, new signing/trade?) needs to start in the midfield 3 leaving Osorio on the outside looking in. It pains me to say it after how long he's been here and how good he's always been in our biggest games, but I think someone on that salary has to be a first-choice starter - even if he would still end up starting lots of games due to injuries - so it may be best for everyone if Osorio moves on (I could see him dominate in Mexico tbh). And that still leaves Fraser probably not getting enough playing time, not to mention Chapman from any conversation months ago. Long story short I think one of Bradley or Osorio has to go and we need to get better defensive players in our midfield - there's a reason Delgado actually had the most minutes on the team in the regular season this year.

I wouldn't mind replacing Moor with a younger CB - we have our rock in Gonzalez now, it would be tough to get rid of Ciman or Zavaleta at this point, and Moor would have plenty of suitors across the league. That should free up some cap space if we find a relatively cheap domestic player who can be a reliable third-string behind OG/CM/LC

Morrow was pretty good in the playoffs and I wouldn't mind keeping him one more year but he's not as good as he was even a year ago. If we do replace him with a new LB it has to be a bona fide starter.

This leaves this as a potential depth chart... http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=v0hx6

Best case scenario though maybe Pozuelo and Osorio improve defensively next year and we can start both with Bradley after all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Darwin Quintero let go by Minnesota. Always liked him. Would he be a good fit for TFC?

darwin quintero

@darwinJR3

After two years of living great experiences in @MNUFC
    I want to inform you that the technician and the club made the decision not to validate the renewal option. I want to thank you for all that was lived, were two years of much learning .My best wishes and thanks for everything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Darwin looked amazing vs tfc last year. He can play a few positions up front. Probably a better option than benezet? Not worth a dp spot though.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would trade Bono or expose him in the expansion draft. He's an MLS quality keeper who is too good and paid too well to be backup. Westberg is better than him, but he'd be a starter on many teams.

In his place, I'd love to sign Marco Carducci from Cavalry FC. A young Canadian keeper with great potential, a real standout in the CPL. I expect transfer fees from the CPL won't be excessive.

Has Ryan Telfer matured enough? He had a great season in the CPL on loan. He'd be nice backup on the wing, not the main solution.